46 US warships & 7,000 US Marines on route to Costa Rica?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum 46 US warships & 7,000 US Marines on route to Costa Rica?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    ticorealtor

Ohh boy it is funny how things can get blown out of proportion. We have been docking ships there for years and as for the command under the U.S. Cost Guard that is just for political reasons. The Mil group in Costa Rica is under Southern Command but has a Cost Guard commander just for political reasons.

They also will mainly be using the port in Lemon so it won’t make too much of a impact around the whole country.

Funny how this thread can get way of track though.

ticorealtor

[quote=”jenny”]

By the way all of you that are so dicussed with the US there is one thing you have not given up and that is your passport. Just burn it.

[/quote]

Nope you have to take it to the Embassy and turn it in, other wise you are still a U.S. Expat.

rcpoppell

But seriously, what do you think is going on?

This effort sounds like an attempt to close the sea lanes to narco traffic and choke supply into mexico and el Norte.
    It also looks like part of a broader policy to police the western hemisphere and fight a growing leftist expansion by leveraging a CR government that is our strongest ally.
    Personally, I support the Monroe Doctrine, Teddy Roosevelt’s big stick maxim and Colin Powell’s post-vietnam doctrine of overwhelming force. That said, I doubt the current administration can carry the day against consumer demand for all things narco.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”ticorealtor”]Ohh boy it is funny how things can get blown out of proportion…. Funny how this thread can get way of track though.[/quote]

You’re totally forgetting the reasons given to us TicoRealtor which are:

Anti-drug smuggling and humanitarian missions

1. What “humanitarian” crisis is Costa Rica suffering from at this time?

2. What sort of “humanitarian missions” would take place in Costa Rica and where? ?

3. Based on the truly horrific, drug crime related slaughters we have witnessed in Mexico, don’t you personally think it would be better conducting these kinds of “anti-narcotics operations” in northern Mexico?

4. With what is probably the world’s worst environmental disaster going on right now in the Gulf of Mexico, don’t you personally think it would be more appropriate (and certainly more appreciated) if these “humanitarian missions” were done in the Gulf? ?

Forgive those of us who don’t believe the “official story” – I mean the government has never lied to us, right? – but please let us know what you feel about these 4 points above?

Scott

clayton

Didn’t Chavez just nationalize 4 oil platforms owned by US/Foreign companies. Hard to believe the US Administration would stand up against anyone other than its own citizenry .

maravilla

the cia has already tried to assassinate chavez twice.

ticorealtor

[quote=”Scott”]

Anti-drug smuggling and humanitarian missions

1. What “humanitarian” crisis is Costa Rica suffering from at this time?

2. What sort of “humanitarian missions” would take place in Costa Rica and where? ?

3. Based on the truly horrific, drug crime related slaughters we have witnessed in Mexico, don’t you personally think it would be better conducting these kinds of “anti-narcotics operations” in northern Mexico?

4. With what is probably the world’s worst environmental disaster going on right now in the Gulf of Mexico, don’t you personally think it would be more appropriate (and certainly more appreciated) if these “humanitarian missions” were done in the Gulf? ?

Forgive those of us who don’t believe the “official story” – I mean the government has never lied to us, right? – but please let us know what you feel about these 4 points above?

Scott[/quote]

I guess to start out with for number 1

I believe this year Costa Rica might be ready for the New Horizons event. Once a year in this hemisphere the U.S. will do a major push for a humanitarian event, such as building schools, hospitals ect in areas that need them. Yes there are plenty of areas that need them more like Paraguay but that is politically charged issue because of Venezuela. When a New Horizon location is picked they will create a team to asses the needs and impact. Costa Rica does have a lot of areas that do need infrastructure and could really use the help.

As for number 3 well you are a little too late because the U.S. has been a major factor in helping CR in anti narco, if it wasn’t for the U.S. CR would not be able to keep up with the problems that are arising. I can’t say too much about what, when and how because I am still in the military but CR has really benefited from the U.S. support in training and equipment.

If you want more information you can always look it up in Southern Command.

As for number 4 well I think BP ….. has a lot to do with it. My brother works for BP in Alaska and they really have some big problems. I guess maybe the britz might want to take a look at their company and figure out their problem instead of just raping the U.S. for money.

NomineSatis

It might be just standard military exercises. Perhaps they don’t want to go all the way to Okinawa Japan? Costa Rica has similar Jungle features used for training. They could be testing something out in the jungle New Technology? It smells like a back room deal with the US and Costa Rica Government.
    Drugs who knows?
    US Military arriving like this, not a good sign to me. Before you know it you have an “Okinawa Occupation” in your hands you do not want US Military bases in Costa Rica. These type of ships have no nuclear capability they are designed for troop carry and military equipment armored vehicles and a storage area to carry missiles that go on aircraft.
    There is something they want to “test” or something about the area that interests them..keep an eye out!

you guys should thank your lucky stars they are there…economically it is good for you, safety wise it is good…the us gov doesnt do anything to the narco traffickers here, maybe they will stop them there..we just lost some more Arizonans here to gunfire…narco traffickers are where the army isnt…plus the local gov’s here are mostly mexican friendly so the cops hand are tied…they cannot tie the hands of the marines…

JanetB

Wow. One thing expat sites don’t lack is conspiracy theorists.
    Every six months our diputados review and approve those ships and staff to be allowed in C.R.’s HUGE maritime holdings. This approval is minimally different from the one approved six months ago.
    What is approved is the total of those boats and humans who will be allowed in when and if necessary. If we do need humanitarian aid, the ships can now come. If not approved, it would have to go through the legislature.
    Costa Rica has been whining at the U.S. for several years that it is not helping enough with the war on drugs. That is has concentrated on our poorer neighbors. The U.S. has countered that C.R. is not contributing a fair share.
    The patrols protect against drug running (and I won’t go into my feelings about the so-called war on drugs), but also to protect against illegal fishing, protection of natural resources, and other activities in our waters.
    C.R. has, I believe, FIVE working boats to patrol our immense sea treasures. (This is not verified, but it isn’t many..)
    I’ve got extra tin foil for anyone who wants to fashion their hats…

david3a

What kind of insanity is this? Thousands of illegal aliens, drug smugglers and terrorist are flooding across the US border into Arizona everyday. The US Government not only refuses to send troops to stop this illegal invasion of US Territory and the illegal drugs but they actually had the audacity to sue Arizona to stop them from trying to stop it. This illegal invasion is costing the country 110 billion a year, but the US Government does nothing. Yet they send warships and 7000 marines to fight the drug war in Costa Rica. Are you kidding Me? This has nothing to do with the drug war or humanitarian work. Costa Rica has real freedoms and the US is a falling, bankrupt and criminal fascist empire. This is about the attempt to extend this type of empire to Costa Rica and get them to become more fascist, have the country get more into debt, increase taxes and to limit freedoms for Costa Ricans as they have done with the US Citizens. Costa Rica is too free and does not have enough debt or taxes. The last thing Costa Rica needs to do is to look to a failed nation state as an example and for leadership.

jimliesen122

The way Obummer thinks, my conspiratorial imagination suggests one of the following: 1) Obummer and his brilliant WH stategists might believe that temporarily throwing a lot of military might against the druggies might slow them down at the Arizona border long enough for them for Obummer to claim victory at the same border and win their silly lawsuit in the court of public opinion against Arizona just long enough for the elections to take place in November. Or 2) the big methane bubble really does exist in the Gulf and they know it and are anticipating one heck of a firey belch any week now, just like the loons on late night radio suggest.

jwargo

I am not one to blog my time away, but this calls for comment!

Man was not created to possess the kind of destructive power these ships represent. Too much power in too few hands has lead to nothing but abuse throughout history. Regardless of whose writings we read and regardless of our political persuasions, there are no innocent parties left. Such power is far too tempting for our human corruptibility.

Joseph Wargo
    Austin, Texas

Janice

Did anyone hear about the illegal mining exploration goings on in the Talamanca Mountains…..hmmmmm!

gzeniou

[quote=”david3a”]The US Government not only refuses to send troops to stop this illegal invasion of US Territory and the illegal drugs but they actually had the audacity to sue Arizona to stop them from trying to stop it. This illegal invasion is costing the country 110 billion a year, but the US Government does nothing. Yet they send warships and 7000 marines to fight the drug war in Costa Rica. Are you kidding Me? [/quote]

The US government choices to allow illegal immigration (is it really illegal?). There are many large corporates that have their factories very close to the Mexican boarder and a huge % of their workers are illegals. The way the government can stop this is to levy heavy fines on these companies for their hiring methods, but of course these are jobs that Americans don’t want. Without jobs fewer Mexicans would cross over. There have been published reports on the internet that a high security fence with cameras, alert systems etc. with the support of several hundred (not thousand) men and under a 100 copthers could secure the boarder very tightly. The cost for the fence ranges from 4 billion (private security companies quote, 5 billion (Army Core of engineers) to 10 billion (homeland security). We spend over 3 billion a week on just Iraq and Afgan wars. Obviously, the Navy ships with 7,000 marines under the Coast Guard Command is not for drugs, humanitarian reasons. Why are they in CR ….The answer is blowing in the wind. On the other, I’m not sure if us Americans should protest such an invasion as the CR people need to work it out on their own. CR was a great Nation before us Americans arrived and hopefully it will stay that way.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.