46 US warships & 7,000 US Marines on route to Costa Rica?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum 46 US warships & 7,000 US Marines on route to Costa Rica?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

I can’t believe you guys are not talking about this?

Yo saw last week’s news with 46 US warships and 7,000 US Marines on their way to Costa Rica?

[ http://www.nacion.com/2010-07-02/ElPais/NotasSecundarias/ElPais2431541.aspx ]

On the 2nd July 2010 the Costa Rica Congress authorized the entry of 46 U.S. warships capable of carrying 200 helicopters and warplanes, plus 7,000 U.S. Marines “who may circulate the country in uniform without any restrictions” , plus submarine killer ships to the Costa Rican coast for “counternarcotics operations and humanitarian missions’ between 1st July 2010 until 31st December 2010.

With this kind of nation destroying firepower it gives real meaning to the expression “war on drugs”, but if this a real six month “war on drugs” we should expect to see some fantastic results, right?

Politicians representing the Acción Ciudadana (PAC), the Unidad Social Cristiana (PUSC) and the Frente Amplio (FA) political parties opposed the measure saying that the destructive force of the ships, helicopters and 7,000 US Marines is “disproportionate for the fight against drug trafficking.”

Another politician Francisco Chacón defended the arrival of the US forces saying that “they would give humanitarian support, build schools and fight against drug traffickers.”

1. To my knowledge at the present time, Costa Rica is not suffering from any “humanitarian” crisis and the article did not make it clear what sort of “humanitarian missions” would take place.
    2. The article did not make it clear where any “humanitarian mission” would take place.
    3. Based on the truly horrific, drug crime related slaughters we have witnessed in Mexico, wouldn’t it be better conducting these kinds of “counternarcotics operations” in northern Mexico?
    4. With what is probably the world’s worst environmental disaster gong on right now in the Gulf of Mexico, surely it would be more appropriate to conduct “humanitarian missions” in the Gulf?
    5. Or could these vital warships be fleeing from something even worse that is about to happen in that area?
    6. The article did not make it clear whether these vessels would be patrolling off the Pacific or Atlantic coast but either way, is it possible they are on their way to Venezuela? Either as a show of force or something more serious?
    7. Does anyone know if any of these ships carry nuclear weapons?

If these 7,000 US Marines, 200 helicopters, warplanes and submarine killers are coming to Costa Rica to “give humanitarian support, build schools and fight against drug traffickers,” perhaps we could ask them to repair the new highway to Caldera? With that kind of manpower they could have it finished over one weekend.

But seriously, what do you think is going on?

maravilla

1. honduras. 2. nicaragua. 3. honduras. 4. honduras.

war on drugs? and i’m princess di. this is this longest running war in history and what have they accomplished? they should just legalize this stuff and let people do themselves in. is hugo acting up again? what’s going on in ecuador? evo morales being bad? they’re positioning themselves for something but i’d bet my cow dog drugs aren’t on the top of the list, although they did intercept a submarine loaded with cocaine. sheesh.

waggoner41

[quote=”Scott”]I can’t believe you guys are not talking about this?

Yo saw last week’s news with 46 US warships and 7,000 US Marines on their way to Costa Rica?

[ http://www.nacion.com/2010-07-02/ElPais/NotasSecundarias/ElPais2431541.aspx ]

On the 2nd July 2010 the Costa Rica Congress authorized the entry of 46 U.S. warships capable of carrying 200 helicopters and warplanes, plus 7,000 U.S. Marines “who may circulate the country in uniform without any restrictions” , plus submarine killer ships to the Costa Rican coast for “counternarcotics operations and humanitarian missions’ between 1st July 2010 until 31st December 2010.

But seriously, what do you think is going on?[/quote]

Sounds to me like the Costa Rican congress has become as stupid as the US congress.

How many Americans were involved in the last drug busts against the narco trafficers?

Misplaced is an understatement. More like the US has found out what a decent place Costa RIca is and plans a takeover.

Lets see…thats 1200 National Guardsmen for Mexican border patrol and 7,000 marines for Costa Rica. Something doesn’t sound right to me.

maravilla

http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/honduras-resists-honduras-resiste/la-voz-de-los-de-abajo-delegation-to-honduras-report-1-june-27-28/281652499995

i’m following the mess in honduras. it’s only started to get ugly. aren’t we all aware of what the u.s. has wrought there over the last 6 decades? and there is more to come.

maravilla

oliver stone has a new movie — South of the Border — about the 55 coups the US has staged in latin america. and of course everyone remembers the Wag The Dog coup in guatemala, all orchestrated by the CIA and Edward Bernays, the master of p.r. so we can only speculate what those gunships are really all about because they surely aren’t going to tell us the truth.

http://www.alternet.org/news/147336/oliver_stone:_the_us_has_launched_military_interventions_and_political_coups_fifty-five_times_in_latin_america

ticopaz

It’s an ill wind that blows no good…

gzeniou

Just like the exit airport tax, perhaps they can charge an entrance fee maybe a $1000 per soldier. I thought CR was a neutral country, no foreign force should be able to port in its waters, what’s next the Russian, Chinese, or maybe the North Korean Navy. Your not being neutral if you say yes to some and no to others. Well at least the prostitutes will make some money 😯

2bncr

This is why the country should have voted out the Arias residue. The party in power keeps leading us to closer ties with the US and less independence that leads to cultural degradation.

I came here to get away from the US its greedy people and consumerism culture. They keep catching up to me and I am now on my third move. I just want to be around genuine people, live humbly and not hear about all the trouble and anger in the US.

Father into the campo for me.

Andrew
    Keymaster

On Sunday, the President of Costa Rica Laura Chinchilla said that the government does not intend to militarize the fight against drugs and the Minister of Public Security Jose Maria Tijerino stressed that this huge, powerful military force would be under the command of the US Coastguard and not the US Navy.

Although I don’t supposed the Costa Ricans, the drug traffickers or we will notice the difference…

[ http://www.nacion.com/2010-07-04/ElPais/NotaPrincipal/ElPais2434139.aspx ]

grb1063

The soldiers are “on leave”, which to me classifies them as tourists, so why should they be exempt from the $26 exit tax. $182,000 should pay for all the added law enforcement and drunk tank stays.

gzeniou

[ http://www.nacion.com/2010-07-04/ElPais/NotaPrincipal/ElPais2434139.aspx ][/quote]

Hey Scott….my Spanish isn’t up to par yet, is there a way on-line to translate this to English.

Thanks

jenny

I think it is wonderful, now these young women will have some young men to chose from and not all these old goats. You can count the ships, but I’ll count the young men coming. WOW, boom shockalaka, boom shockalaka, boom. The ships are not what tickles my fancy but the young men on board will be a plus after seeing all these old goats getting off the plane and marrying these girls that should be their great grand daughters. Oh will this statement light a fire.

By the way all of you that are so dicussed with the US there is one thing you have not given up and that is your passport. Just burn it.

You do have your Costa Rican citizenship? They will talk about it now Scott, “Shalom”

gzeniou

[quote=”jenny”]I’ll count the young men coming. WOW, boom shockalaka, boom shockalaka, boom. [/quote]

As cartman would say “suckie, suckie 5 dollar”

Andrew
    Keymaster

The Google translate tool is a free and extremely useful tool for those of you who wish to
    translate to and from English and Spanish…

Like most on computer translations it is not 100% accurate and should never be used for
    crucially important translations like legal documents (or love letters) but it does give
    you a very good idea of what it should be…

You can find the tool at [ http://translate.google.com/# ] and when you get to the page,
    you just paste in the text or you can even upload an entire document that you want to
    translate, you then adjust the languages below and click on translate…

Again please remember it’s not 100% correct but can be a tremendous help if you’re in a
    hurry and you don’t have your dictionary handy…

Scott

gzeniou

It’s a very useful too!

Thanks Scott

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.