Intel Is A Pillar of the Costa Rican Economy But Cracks Are Forming

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Intel Is A Pillar of the Costa Rican Economy But Cracks Are Forming

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    diesels12

How this topic changed from Intel in Costa Rica to Libya and killing innocents is beyond me. Hey I have an idea, lets just change the name of the website to “We Hate the USA”.

Sprite, I don’t know what happened in your life to cause you to be so bitter towards the USA but I hope you find the happiness your looking for here in Costa Rica.

I don’t feel the need to recite all the good the USA has done for both people within it’s borders and outside. I think that is obvious to any reasonable person.

Unlike a lot of people on this website, I don’t need to knock my home country to justify why I live in Costa Rica. I had a very good life there and I was able to provide well for my family but I just wanted to experience some change. I still go back to the states every 2 months or so and I enjoy it, especially the food!

maravilla

i was at the embajada one day and a young woman who worked for Intel was there applyiing for a Visa to the US. the man behind the window started asking her questions, and one of them was “how much does Intel pay you for the job you do for them?” she replied, “$800 a month.” the embajada employee then asked her if she were going to get that same salary while she was in the US?” she replied, “yes.” then he told her that she couldn’t rent a hovel for that amount of money in New Jersey, and that if she were working for Intel in the US doing that same job she would be making $50,000 a year. he then denied her application for a visa until she could provide documentation from Intel that she would be paid a decent salary, etc. so intel like every other corporation who moves their operation offshore, does it to save money on salaries and benefits.

and all this USA rah rah rah business just tells me that Diesel doesn’t have a clue what the US govt did in Central america and how they orchestrated coups, genocide, assassinations, and land grabs in the last 100 years or more, and how we deposed democratically elected leaders and put our right wing despots in power. remember Somoza, Diesel? it’s a sordid, ugly, and evil history and if you are going to live in central america you should understand this part of US policy so you can understand why latin americans don’t trust the US or its citizens. hey, scott, remember when Scott Benson said there were no US trained death squads in El Salvador? and then when we asked him where he got that information he said a woman who worked for State told him that. ahhhh, the rewriting of history in the making.

diesels12

Sorry to upset you with the rah rah rah business but it happens to be the truth. I don’t know why you are in denial over this but I don’t think there are too many countries in the history of the world that has done more to benefit mankind than the USA. Along the way we have made some mistakes but nobody is perfect. If you think you can do a better job than run for elected office.

As for latin americans not trusting the USA or its citizens, thats a blanket statement that is not supported by fact my friend. In my travels throughout Latin America (All of south America and Central America) I have rarely encountered anti amercian attitudes and I don’t stay in resorts or 5 star hotels in a protected environment. In fact if they so mistrust us than why would most of them move to the USA if given the opportunity?

As for your Intel employee working in the states, there is NO WAY she is getting paid $800 a month to relocate to the USA, that’s fantasy and is below minimum wage standards.

maravilla

talk about blanket statements — “most of them would move to the US”– none of the Ticos i know want to live in the US. they think it is a screwed up place if there ever was one. as for anti-american sentiment, it’s there, you just aren’t aware of it, but how could it NOT be there after what the US did in Central America? i can only glean from your comments about how much good the US has done in the world that you haven’t a clue about what we did here or for how long we did it. check this out: http://www.neotropica.info — read The Banana Chronicles. then get back to me after you have a clue.

diesels12

[quote=”maravilla”]talk about blanket statements — “most of them would move to the US”– none of the Ticos i know want to live in the US. they think it is a screwed up place if there ever was one. as for anti-american sentiment, it’s there, you just aren’t aware of it, but how could it NOT be there after what the US did in Central America? i can only glean from your comments about how much good the US has done in the world that you haven’t a clue about what we did here or for how long we did it. check this out: http://www.neotropica.info — read The Banana Chronicles. then get back to me after you have a clue.[/quote]

Ok Maravilla, when is the last time you went to the US embassy in San Jose? Did you see the line outside wrapping around the block?

As for your statement “none of the the Ticos I know want to live in the US”, either you don’t know many Ticos or your friends are not able to obtain visas so they are bitter.

To prove my point, If you are so confident in your statements, why don’t we do an experiment, if you like I would even be willing to place a wager of $1000 or more if you want (winner to donate proceeds to Costa RIcan charity), if not we can do it just for fun. Here it is, pick any street corner in San Jose or Liberia and we will have a non biased observer interview Ticos and question them about there feelings towards the US and would they go there if given the opportunity ( I will even pay for the non biased observer). We can do a sample group of 100 random people and I can guarantee you a majority will have positive feelings towards the US and will want to go there. Put your money where your mouth is. I will meet you anywhere, anytime to do this schedule permitting. I am free from Nov 4 to Dec. 14 2011 and than anytime after Jan. 11 2012 ( I am travelling currently in the lovely USA). I live in Guanacaste but will travel anywhere to do this.

maravilla

i know LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of Ticos and many of them have already lived in the US and came home because they didn’t really like it there. i was at the embassy about a year ago and many of those ticos in line are trying to get visas just to visit family, not necessarily to move to the US. do you know how hard it is to get that visa?

we’ll have to wait until after the first of the year to do your little experiment. i just don’t know how YOU are so SURE that everyone wants to live in the US. why would anyone want to go live in a country that is in a state of perpetual war, and where freedom is just an illusion (which is what the Ticos tell me — “‘you only think you are free!”)

sprite

I can count on one hand the number of Ticos I know that have moved to the States to stay. Compared to other nationalities, my experience is that damned few Costaricenses leave their home country for good while there are many other nationalities that do leave for good. I believe I understand the reason for this disparity after so much exposure to the Ticos and their incredibly beautiful country. But I will agree with diesel on one point; the food in the States has more variety and for that reason, is more to my liking.

diesels12

You seem like a reasonable persons and I understand your frustrations with the US. I am just saying its not all that bad, there is a lot of good we do also and in my opinion it outweighs the bad. I realize the US is not perfect and I am not rah rah rah all the time (if it was so great I would still be living there LOL) but there is no place else in the world so full of opportunities for people like myself who did not come from wealthy families. I actually think that is probably the big difference between Latin America and the US, the opportunity to succeed for someone who comes from anunderprivileged backround. In fact a lot (NOT ALL)of the Ticos I talk to would like to go to the US for the opportunities there. It is VERY difficult to be succesfull in Latin America when you are not born to the right family or are poor and please don’t dispute that.
    As for our bet, I look forward to it and maybe we can make an event out of it for our forum members. I will bring the booze and you bring the food! There will be no losers as the charity will benefit.
    CHEERS
    JOHN

maravilla

as for the US being a land of opportunity, tell that to all the Ph.Ds who can’t get a job at wal-mart now, or who lost their homes, or all the families who are doubling up because they can’t afford to live on their own. the glory of the US is OVER! and this is just the beginning of what is to come. what about all the people who lost their retirement? what opportunities do they have now? they cannot work long enough to replace the money that was stolen from them. as for all the good the US does in the world, i would bet there are a lot of people all over the world who would disagree with you starting with: Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Honduras, Guatemala, Panama, El Salvador. Have you read Legacy of Ashes? it’s a documented history of every dirty deed the US ever did anywhere in the world in the last 80 years, and it’s not pretty. the truth is it is difficult to succeed anywhere today, but i know a lot of Ticos who came from modest means who got a college education and made something of themselves. so it can be done. my gardener who only has a 6th grade education is putting three sons through college. all of them want to be successful in their own country not abandon it to move to a place that is rife with chaos now. they do see the news, you know. and America is not the place people really want to be right now; the banking scandal is on everyone’s lips, so the luster is gone.

diesels12

Go buy a Noam Chomsky book, you will love him. Thanks for enlightening me on the evils of the US Miravilla. You have truly opened my eyes. Those poor innocent Japanese in WWII, those peaceful Afghans, Vietnamese,Iraqis, brutally surpressed by the evil US.How about those fun loving Muslim extremists who we hunt down and kill, horrible isn’t it. I guess we truly are as our loving amigos the Iranians say “THE GREAT SATAN”. I am turning in my passport and renouncing my citizenship first thing in the AM. Why don’t you do the same Miravilla,Sprite and the rest of my new friends.

cheers
    John

kimball

The statement of someone coming to the USA and making $800 a month for Intel is complete bullshit.

And why cant we copy and paste on this forum anymore.

sprite

You have been very light on examples and facts to backup your world view. I think you know that any story you come up with of a goody two shoes Uncle Sam skipping around the planet, waving his magic dollar wand and blessing all with wealth and freedom will be treated as the joke that it is. There is just too much historical evidence and too many people who are waking up to the truth.

maravilla

sooooo you don’t have a problem with our invading Iraq and being responsible for the deaths of a million people all because GWB and his other war criminal friends lied to the US about WMDs? hmmmmm. very telling. very telling indeed. as for vietnam, you need to know the back story and all the lies that were told to justify the bombings. oh, it’s so sad what we’ve done. makes me ashamed to be an american, killing all those innocent people all over the world and lying to the public who then thinks they know what really happened and are proud of the war. oh well.

maravilla

hey, kimball — were you there in the embajada when the young woman made that statement? well, i was, and that is what she said, and her visa was denied because of it. so THERE!!

diesels12

[quote=”maravilla”]sooooo you don’t have a problem with our invading Iraq and being responsible for the deaths of a million people all because GWB and his other war criminal friends lied to the US about WMDs? hmmmmm. very telling. very telling indeed. as for vietnam, you need to know the back story and all the lies that were told to justify the bombings. oh, it’s so sad what we’ve done. makes me ashamed to be an american, killing all those innocent people all over the world and lying to the public who then thinks they know what really happened and are proud of the war. oh well.[/quote]

Actually I have no problem at all with taking out a coorupt,insane, sadistical dictator.Get your facts straight before you blame the US for the deaths of a million people in Iraq. The fact is that no where near that amount of people were killed in Iraq and most of the ones that did die were killed by other Iraqis, not the US.
    If your so ashamed to be an american than why do you continue to be one? Renounce your citizenship and become a citizen of Costa Rica, simple. Why associate yourself with such a wicked country?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.