Intel Is A Pillar of the Costa Rican Economy But Cracks Are Forming

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Intel Is A Pillar of the Costa Rican Economy But Cracks Are Forming

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

With 55 hectares of land, 33,000M2 of construction in their $300 million semiconductor assembly and test plant, 5,300 employees (2,800 direct and 2,500 sub-contracted) Intel’s production alone makes up 4% of Costa Rica’s GDP so Intel is – without doubt – a pillar of the Costa Rican economy but, is the honeymoon over?

This week Michael Forrest, Intel Costa Rica’s general manager, said:

“Intel makes future investments on a long-term horizon, and one of the things we consider very seriously is fiscal policy stability and consistency,” said Forrest, who participated in panel discussion of foreign business owners and managers in San Jose. “If there are fluctuations and instability of fiscal policies in certain countries, those countries are removed from investment consideration.”

You can see the full article at:

Intel Is A Pillar of the Costa Rican Economy But Cracks Are Forming

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/3317.cfm ]

I appreciate that the vast majority of our VIP Members are retired but would love to hear your opinions and ask you if you agree with my conclusions?

Scott

sprite

Businesses look for ways to exploit people for profit. Businesses SHOULD be looking for ways to exploit profit for people. THAT is what an economy is for. But that is not how this crazy world economy has been designed. Inviting “investment” from abroad is inviting exploitation and it stifles a country’s efforts to progress on its own, unique terms at its own unique pace. Let Intel continue its search for the lowest common denominator work force, the one closest to abject wage slavery and abuse. Intel’s chief objective is profit, not the well being or advancement of Costa Rica.
    International corporatism is quickly replacing nations as the organizational instrument for societies. Globalism is one term for this process and it means to eliminate the cultural diversity of our species. If you think this is a good thing, support it and sacrifice your country. Corporations have made wastelands out of every environment and culture into which they have moved. They only ever enrich the owners, the stock holders and all the politicians they can buy but they leave the workers in a state of dependency and eventual poverty as they drain the natural resources of the land and the energy of the people while corrupting thoroughly whatever political system is in place.

aguirrewar

“5,300 employees (2,800 direct and 2,500 sub-contracted) Intel’s production alone makes up 4% of Costa Rica’s GDP so Intel is – without doubt – a pillar of the Costa Rican economy but, is the honeymoon over?”

READ that over and over, AGAIN and look at the NUMBERS Intel brings to the CR Economy in $$.

I guess employing 5,300 Chinese will be a BONANZA to CR, that is while CR loses 5,300 salaried workers.

ALL WELL, I am retired and don’t give a FF for those that still have to work.

LET THEM EAT CAKE!!!

Sometimes the POISON is better than the PERFUME

sprite

GDP is not a measurement of the health, happiness or even of a nation’s true wealth. The US, for example, includes money spent in the healthcare system as part of its GDP. But what are they measuring? They are measuring the money spent on sickness and death. The more treatments for heart attacks, diabetes and cancer, the higher the GDP.

The biggest value of what Intel makes comes from the creative process behind the design and marketing of its product. And that bigger value goes to the corporations and individuals behind that creative process, not to the country which only offers a low bid for its raw labor and natural resources. That country,like any wage slave, is merely making somebody else rich while using up its own limited resources.

“Let them eat cake?” The last time that kind of arrogant, disrespectful language was used in a similar context, they broke out the guillotines in response.

diesels12

[quote=”sprite”]Businesses look for ways to exploit people for profit. Businesses SHOULD be looking for ways to exploit profit for people. THAT is what an economy is for. But that is not how this crazy world economy has been designed. Inviting “investment” from abroad is inviting exploitation and it stifles a country’s efforts to progress on its own, unique terms at its own unique pace. Let Intel continue its search for the lowest common denominator work force, the one closest to abject wage slavery and abuse. Intel’s chief objective is profit, not the well being or advancement of Costa Rica.
    International corporatism is quickly replacing nations as the organizational instrument for societies. Globalism is one term for this process and it means to eliminate the cultural diversity of our species. If you think this is a good thing, support it and sacrifice your country. Corporations have made wastelands out of every environment and culture into which they have moved. They only ever enrich the owners, the stock holders and all the politicians they can buy but they leave the workers in a state of dependency and eventual poverty as they drain the natural resources of the land and the energy of the people while corrupting thoroughly whatever political system is in place.[/quote]

Costa Ricas government was corrupted long before Intel came to Costa Rica and it wasn’t by corporations but by individual greed. Be carefull when you blame corporations for all the evils in the world. Without Intel there would be a lot of unemployed Ticos and many other cooporations would not have invested in Costa Rica creating many more jobs. I really feel your post is overly dramatic, whats your alternative to corporations, negative growth? abject poverty? unemployment?

agarcia

Costa Rica could easily increase GDP. Cut the bureacratic red tape that permeates nearly every public institution. People need to constantly wait in lines, jump through hoops and face all sorts of delays. Reduce that and make the process understandable, easy and efficient and people don’t need to be away from work (or home life) as often. Businesses can know what it takes to meet licensing and permit requirements. Sadly, Intel and those like it, probably don’t have to face these issues as much as the small and medium sized business which provide about 80% of the employment in this country. Do something for these groups that employ the majority of the people AND who pay business taxes. I don’t feel sorry for Intel but I do sympathize with those who don’t enjoy the ‘Tax Fee Zone’ benefits yet still need to work within the current system.

sprite

It may be pie in the sky, but there had better be an alternative to a monetized world which is run by corporations and banks. While this is not yet quite over, it appears that this system is approaching its end and the result is a planet and a world population which has been savaged. Defending corporations and all the evil they represent because you can’t think of an alternative is just throwing in the towel for lack of imagination.

diesels12

You are the most cynical poster I have ever read and your chicken little mentality is comical. News flash- the world is not ending and unless you want to go back to the stone age, embrace corporations and banks.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Talking about going “back to the stone age…”

This is all good news – ONLY good things could develop from this…

Isn’t it great that the U.S. is killing people in 75 countries and there will be no repercussions at all!

No blowback because all of the families who have watched their mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters and children get slaughtered in front of them understand it’s all in the name of freedom, democracy or humanitarian aid.

Watch how we bring “humanitarian aid” to the people of Libya….

This is all good news too – ONLY good things could develop from this…

US Begins Huge Military Maneuvers Aimed at Iran

The United States will this week commence huge military maneuvers aimed at Iran, with a massive air fleet patrolling middle eastern skies ready to land at any time, in response to Iran’s involvement in an alleged assassination plot that experts have labeled dubious, amidst fears that US and Israeli targets could be hit by attacks.

[ http://www.prisonplanet.com/us-begins-huge-military-maneuvers-aimed-at-iran.html ]

Scott

diesels12

Is this forum about costa rica or US foreign policy? Since you brought up the subject though, your USA bashing is so typical of the HATE AMERICA crowd and quite frankly is way off base.Why don’t you spend some time in the middle east, north korea,china,cuba,iran, africa, etc. and see how just and just those societies are. While I find deaths of innocents horrible, the casualties from NATO are minimal compared to the 30 plus years of casualties under Gaddafi.
    Why do some people who have moved and live in costa rica find it neccesary to bad mouth the USA? OK,we get it, you don’t like the USA but lets try to keep this forum non political.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I don’t “HATE” America at all, my children are American, I hate America’s foreign policy – and Great (Ha!) Britains’ foreign policy – if it can even be called that …

You really are living in fantasy land and you are the one who is clearly “way off base” if you seriously believe that Gaddafi is responsible for more “casualties” than America in the past 30 years.

But we’ll give you an opportunity to back up your statements with some simple data….

QUESTION #1: Over the past 30 years – How many “casualties” is Gaddafi responsible for?

QUESTION #2: Over the past 30 years – How many “casualties” is the U.S and NATO responsible for…

We look forward to hearing from you …

Scott

PS. Don’t feel bad! Everyone accuses me of “bashing” or “bad mouthing” America when they clearly don’t have a clue what they’re talking about…

PPS. I grew up in Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Ghana and Liberia and have lived in (for YEARS) six other countries.

diesels12

Your attempts to silence discourse by telling people who disagree with you “they dont have a clue what they are talking about”are uncalled for and very petty.

You also misinterpeted my post. The casualties by NATO referred to casualties by NATO IN LIBYA and the are far outnumbered by Gaddafis 30 year plus reign of terror on his population.

You do a great job with this website and I respect you for that but I don’t think this is the forum to demonize the USA and you DO demonize the USA regardless how you try to deny it. Whatever mistakes we have made are outweighed by the good deeds we have done, hands down!

There are a lot worse places to live than in the USA in the world my friend. Lets all just focus on LOVING COSTA RICA and leave politics out of the forum.

sprite

It’s no mystery to me why US expats might want to meet here and discuss world events. Nor is it a mystery why someone with your point of view is bothered by posts which force you to face uncomfortable realities. If it is too uncomfortable for you, take the obvious option many others who think as you do take: don’t bother reading. And if you can’t help yourself and must read but have nothing pertinent to the theme to offer, don’t bother with personal critiques . There are so many

diesels12

[quote=”sprite”]It’s no mystery to me why US expats might want to meet here and discuss world events. Nor is it a mystery why someone with your point of view is bothered by posts which force you to face uncomfortable realities. If it is too uncomfortable for you, take the obvious option many others who think as you do take: don’t bother reading. And if you can’t help yourself and must read but have nothing pertinent to the theme to offer, don’t bother with personal critiques . There are so many[/quote]

Why dont you not bother reading sprite. I am entitled to voice my opinion here as are you and if it doesn’t agree with yours that doesn’t make it wrong. The “uncomfortable realties” you refer to don’t make me feel uncomfortable at all. I have no problem with the USA helping to take a evil dictator such as Gaddafi out and with Intel employing 1000’s of Costa Ricans and contributing to the GDP of Costa Rica.

sprite

[quote=”diesels12″]

Why dont you not bother reading sprite. I am entitled to voice my opinion here as are you and if it doesn’t agree with yours that doesn’t make it wrong. The “uncomfortable realties” you refer to don’t make me feel uncomfortable at all. I have no problem with the USA helping to take a evil dictator such as Gaddafi out and with Intel employing 1000’s of Costa Ricans and contributing to the GDP of Costa Rica.[/quote]

I read and respond here because it interests me to address the points contained herein. But your post makes no points relevant to this discussion. You express NO opinion on the topic other than that it should not be discussed here because you don’t expect to so see it.

There are as many reasons for loving Costa Rica as there are people here. Certainly one of those reasons is that this is a peaceful country and many of us come from a country that is war like and is savaging the world in the name of empire.

If you haven’t looked at the video scott posted, you should. This is what our taxes are being used for. We aren’t getting rid of dictators. We put most of them in power in the first place. We are simply extracting wealth and causing a lot of collateral damage in meantime…and I am not so sure it is collateral damage. There is evidence that civilian casualties are actual targets of state terror.

Even if your naive notion that the US goes to war to defend freedom were correct(and it is not), when the US has to slaughter women and children to achieve that end, or any other, it is evil. Let’s hear what you have to say about those innocent children bleeding and crying after a NATO bombing in Lybia.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.