‘Why’ we’re leaving the USA for Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum ‘Why’ we’re leaving the USA for Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    dwaynedixon

Yeah, and what’s this have to do with Real Estate, Living and Retirement in Costa Rica? Am I on the right site here? Did someone hijack welovecostarica.com’s URL?

Plenty of political speak here: http://forums.craigslist.org/?forumID=20 have fun!

Alfred

It might be nice if we were to get some conservative rule. Don’t think we’ve had it since Reagan… that’s going to make me a lot of friends. We in the US are divided more now than we ever were, except maybe for the Civil War. Everything is being politicized to the max. Americans are not well liked around the world. The term “ugly American” is well known. It could be possible you did not have much contact with Ticos when you were there Dwaynedixon, but my family and I have. Also we talked with many Expats. The Ticos say they do not have a problem with us, its our government they take issue with and they say they realize we have no control over it. The Expats we have met all seem happy, many living there over the supposed two year limit. I know of Ticos who have lived in the US and returned to CR permanently. One is now starting a family. I’ve met Argentinian, Cuban, American and Canadian expats while there. None of them said they would ever move back to their native countries. I’m familiar up here with a Tico from Limon. In a couple of years, when he retires, he is going back for six months of the year. A friend of ours has a Tico IBM co-worker who went back to live in CR upon retiring. If it is so bad, why do so many want live there.
    according to Escapeartist.com more people are leaving the US than ever in history. Not just the Boomers either, families with young children are concerned and trying to raise their kids where they think it might be better. Even Jane Fonda has 600 acres in Uruguay I believe. She said she would go there if the US ever became a dictatorship…imagine that.

We all are aware of the lousy sidewalks, substandard bridges, difficult legal system and a host of other things we don’t have problems with in the “First World.” But warts and all, I still love Costa Rica. And you ain’t gonna convince me otherwise!

By the way My Spanish may not be up to standard, but I can get around. Also Ticos are very accomodating when you at least try to speak their language. If they know English they will let you finish what you are saying, even if in halting Spanish, before telling you they speak English. Kinda polite I think.

Alfred

Thanks again

*Lotus

I don’t know dwayne I think Costa Rica is quite a nice place, it is what it is. And thats what makes it so wonderful, potholes, slatless bridges and all. Like many on this board I’ve been around a bit and really love the place and people. I agree San Jose is a smelly crazy place, but come out to Play Hermosa up in the hills, nice people beautiful sunsets, clean humid air amazing wildlife. I don’t know what you mean by useless? While i’m there I read, socialize with a variety of people, meditate, yoga, surf, hike and sometimes just dream away in a hammock for a few hours( and look forward to doing this full time in the future). Do you consider this useless? I don’t. I get the impression many Ticos love there country and are happy right where they are, I’m sure not all though. So what if someone slams the U.S., it’s just a country not your mother…and there is a lot to slam quite frankly….starting with those lovely god fairing folks who came and slaughtered 95% of the americas indigionous population. And yes there is quite a lot to love…mostly the people in my opinion, the ones that try and follow the spirit of some of the founders, but most of the politicians, industrialists, bankers etc…would probably prefer a dictatorship…seems the constitution and bill of rights is an inconvienece to them. I won’t get sucked into this patriotism stuff, nationalism…Borat, my daughter dragged me to see it but some interesting lessons to learn about “ourselves” in between the naked men wrestling! Lol! Why take ourselves so seriously, we all really just want the same thing..to be happy, ain’t nothing better than that! But that old ego wants to always prove something, defend something…just chill, get in the moment as we all spin on this giant sphere in space heated by this mega-super hot star. Whether you love this country or that country, gallo pinto or filet mignon this body you call home ain’t gonna be around for ever, so quit argueing and start living! Pura Vida!

vegasknite

I reread many of the posts in this string and I am still amazed while I read the words of a few who are anti American Americans and couldn’t find an original thought if they had to. Then we have the Pro American Americans who take the stance my country right or wrong who will try to defend her honor by dishonoring her with showing how the educational system failed to educate them. Then we get to the intelligent people who chose to relocate to Costa Rica and make valid arguments for their choices without condemning everything American.

I still don’t get it can’t someone move out of the US for economic reasons and love both countries. Or relocate for health reasons, because of their love of the weather, their love of the lifestyle, or their love of whatever. Leaving the US doesn’t make one a traitor in fact one may leave the US stay in touch what is happening in their Country of citizenship and continue to vote for the things they believe in. I understand a person getting affected when someone slanders or defames their homeland whether they share the same citizenship or not. I relate to someone getting very excited and even losing their cool in defense of themselves, their family or their country. But I don’t understand knocking the country that the person has moved to that is bashing your country. It is almost infantile and childish at best reminds me of middle school where children rank out each others mothers or clothes with that tit for tat response. Are you not evolved enough to make an argument without stooping to name calling. I remember being told that people yell or use profanity when their vocabulary doesn’t have enough ammunition to carry a conversation or argument without yelling, name calling or profanity.

Whether you are a Democrat, Republican or have any other political affiliation; we all have to be honest enough to say the US isn’t perfect nor are our leaders. Whether you approve of our political direction or not you have the power to change things with your vote. You have the freedom to protest or to disagree with our leaders in most ways. Many people gave their lives to preserve these rights and many more are still giving their lives to keep you safe and free. I still don’t know if this is the forum to have this argument but it appears Scott Oliver is allowing it to continue. I guess because it is a major issue on the minds on his members.

What bugs me the most these days is hearing how our freedoms and rights are being taken away. The government can only do what we allow them to do. We have the true power with our vote. Unfortunately in my opinion most Americans don’t have a clue what the truth is or how to utilize their vote. Most Americans don’t understand politics they believe what the press tells them. How many of you have voted for someone without looking into their complete record how many of you know how your elected official voted on most if not every issue. Or do you listen to the advertisements they put out and take the word of your newspaper or TV news broadcast. Have you ever read through a bill that was up for a vote to know everything that is attached to it? I know very few of you will admit that you have never done any of the aforementioned.

We are living in very dangerous times now whether you want to believe it or not. Whether you believe that your government is using terrorism to scare you into waving your rights or believe that terrorism is a real threat. It is a very real threat not just to Americans or America but the entire world. We are caught in a conflict between the sane and the insane beliefs of a very few fanatics. But these fanatics are willing to die or kill for their beliefs. This is not a new war it has been ongoing for thousands of years. It just recently has found its way into our back yard. We can argue how much has our foreign policy fueled this threat and the answers will differ depending on who is asked. Reality is while our foreign policy has made many mistakes it is the fanatics that bring this threat to us our foreign policies just add fuel to the fire. It brings more converts or fence sitters into the ranks of the nuts. The other threats we face with Sovereign nations are the doing of our foreign policies or theirs but those threats will work themselves out through time and change. Let’s remember since 1812 the US has only been attacked on December 7th 1941 and September 11th 2001 and the chances of being attacked again by a Sovereign nation are unlikely.

And then I read how Costa Rica a 3rd world country has poor roads and sidewalks or the exhaust issues. I almost laugh mainly because this small third world country has instituted clean air regulations including limits on auto exhaust. Yes the roads are in need of repair but so is a lot of the infrastructure in many US States. To read a statements as stupid as “most of the Costa Rican people will rob you blind & retired people are useless” Well Sir there isn’t a country I know of where a majority of its population aren’t honest good people. As far as retired people being useless, how about they worked their entire lives for their retirement. So I must inform you they have earned their right to enjoy their lives. They may have served 20 years in the military or putting their lives on the line as police or fire fighters. How dare you call them useless. Where and how they choose to live out their lives is the right that they earned. I have no idea where you live or where you have traveled in the US but I take it you have never been in Manhattan where buses spew smoke and autos take the right of way.

dwaynedixon

I agree Lotus, Costa Rica has some nice things to offer, but the USA has more so I don’t get it when people bash the USA on their way out. Have you ever been to Yosemite National Park, there is nothing as beautiful in Costa Rica, have you ever been to the Northeast around late October when the tress are turning colors, Costa Rica has nothing like it, have you ever been to Lake Tahoe, Costa Rica has nothing like it, have you ever been to Pike Peak outside of Colorado Springs, Costa Rica has nothing like it.

You mentioned that SJ is smelly, but outside of SJ, it isn’t so bad. Well, LA is close to smelly and outside of LA it isn’t so bad either.

Amazing wildlife in CR – same exists in the USA.
    Beautiful sunsets – same exists in the USA.
    Clean humid air – same exists in the USA.

Useless? I mean while in CR, it is all about you. You aren’t improving the world any (yet most here want to complain about it). Sorry, but too bad you didn’t say that you were volunteering your time to help your community in some way. Reading, socializing, surf, hike, yoga, laying in the hammock – useless (just my opinion). WOW and sorry again, I’m not trying to be mean but you are looking to do this fulltime? You might want to add some selfless activities to your schedule.

I agree Ticos do love their country – what choice do they have really? With Panama and Nicaragua above and below them, they may as well stay put.

And then you say, so what if someone slams the USA. I called Costa Rica a piece of crap and Scott defines this as name calling so if this can upset him then I can get upset when people slam the USA. Fair enough?

This is too generalized and really immature in my opinion: “but most of the politicians, industrialists, bankers etc…would probably prefer a dictatorship…seems the constitution and bill of rights is an inconvienece to them.” I just don’t see it this way – not even a little bit. We still have our courts to judge what is right and wrong based on that piece of 200 year old paper that has lasted longer than any other. Sure these things take time, but that is just due process. Do you think the politicans, industrialists, banker etc. are any different in Costa Rica where the courts are a joke and the last 3 (I think) presidents served time?

Just chill? That is what I wish people would do when they go to Costa Rica – just chill which means just because you are leaving doesn’t mean you should be slamming the very country that gave you the opportunity to leave. Tell Maravilla and the Nuclear dude (can’t remember his handle) to chill.

I know America isn’t perfect – nothing is perfect so I’m not sure why anyone expects perfection. Costa Rica is far less perfect so I can’t see how anyone in their right mind can slam the USA in favor of Costa Rica. Refer to the top of this post – Costa Rica has no Yosemite, no arctic national wildlife refuge (Alaska), no Hawaii, no Rocky Mountains, no Grand Canyon, no Yellowstone, and the list goes on and on. America is beautiful – more beautiful, in some places, unmatched beauty!

There is backcountry in America, if you want peace and quiet so to lay uselessly in a hammock reading, there’s a million different places to do this in America.

Maravilla, don’t tell me we don’t put politicans in jail:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070119/ts_nm/usa_corruption_ney_dc

Also Maravilla, I bet you were one of the ones that said the Bush admin wouldn’t get all the leaders at Enron and even though they slowly climbed the corporate ladder all the way to the top, they sent a lot of people to jail, you probably in some way still are not satisfied. Just as Ney going to jail doesn’t satisfy you. Nothing is ever good enough, but of course Costa Rica is great.

dwaynedixon

I live 30 miles from San Francisco and many of our buses are electric and so is our light rail and so it our mass transit system. I live in one of the most beautiful areas in the world – it is absolutely unmatched.

Useless – I’ve already defined my definition of useless. Go to Costa Rica, have fun, but please just go silently if you are not going to stay around to help in any way. I agree with you, why not just leave? Why slam her on your way out as if where you are going is better, because I know without a doubt that Costa Rica is not better than the USA.

As for smoke and tailpipes – I rarely see a truck, bus or car driving down the road in the USA trailing a stream of black smoke yet I see this in Costa Rica quite often. If you are in denial, you won’t see it the first 2 years while living in Costa Rica.

vegasknite

Well Dwayne you won’t see me writing on here in defense of some of the things you have brought up posted by others. I won’t defend some of the things which you have written either. I have called others for their bashing of the US on this forum in the past and I am calling you on your comments as well. I disagree with you that Costa Rica is a piece of crap and you can’t justify your statement that it is because someone else slams the US. You have your opinions and others have theirs in some cases you are both incorrect. While San Francisco may have electric buses most fleet buses that are privately owned in the US use diesel fuel and some use gas as do most municipal buses use diesel. As I previously wrote and you so easily passed over NYC automobile operators take the right of way on the streets of Manhattan. The federal, state, and city infrastructures are in great need of repair which doesn’t change the roads in Costa Rica or their needs either. The one other issue I have a big problem with is you calling people who worked their entire lives useless. Unless you are aware of what each of these people do every day of their retired life how can you make this statement. Do you know if they are politically active, if they volunteer to help children or seniors, or if are just assisting a neighbor who can’t fend for themselves. Here you sit at your computer and find fault with Costa Rica and the Tico people along with retired Americans and you do this in defense of the US and our constitution. I find that bizarre; recognize that there are people that don’t like America even American’s that don’t like America. Can you defend against this assault without finding fault with Costa Rica and find fault with those who are making the statements you disagree with.

My head isn’t in the sand I see what is right and what is wrong with Costa Rica in my own opinion. Tell where in the US I can find a live in housekeeper (which I need due to my disability) for 200.00 or so dollars a month. I could go on and on with the reasons for my relocation to this beautiful democratic country but, they are my reasons and none of them have to do with issues with the US.

*Lotus

I agree Dwayne this is a beautiful country and I envy you especialy if you live 30 miles north of San Fran. I live in NYC and I aleays thought S.F. had a lot more to offer. I did get to live there in the early 80’s in the Mission District. I have also lived in San Diego and Malibu both beatiful places. I have been lucky to have traveled quite a bit here and have been to most states. But I prefer to live near the beach, although I enjoy mountain sports skiing etc…As a musician and previously married to a French woman I also lived and traveled in Europe quite extensively. But all that said (for me) there is something about Costa Rica that really resonates with my soul. Also lets be practical its a much cheaper place to live than lets say Salinas or Santa Barbara. I’ll be honest, if I had the big bucks I would buy myself a ranch in Santa Barbara and continue to vacation in C.R..but I don’t. I’m practical and have lived an enjoyable life not slaveing away to fund my sep plan(my choice) hoping I make it to 59 and1/2 with enough cash to retire and no major health issue. So sometimes one makes compromises, finds a way to live the life the enjoy. I bought 1.3 acres of land 1km from the beach for 30k and will start building a house in April, can’t do that in the U.S., Just a tax and utillity bill more or less…also from C.R. it’s a nice launch point to Argentina, amazing country and great sking in Chile all pretty cheap destinations and the natural beauty of both those countries is amazing. No need to compare them to the U.S., it’s not a competition, I ski all over New England in the winter but don’t sit around comparing it to Suisse, or Austrian skiing…of course it does not compare…but it is what it is. Self education and building of the “soul”, body and mind really are not useless they help build strong character and moral fabric. From this platform one is better equipt to “change” the world, help out our brothers and sisters that need some help and even endeavor in your own life pusuits, business and pleasure. Yes I do and have served humanity in various ways, no reason to list it all here. But you also serve the greater good by just being a better person, balanced and compassionate, fair and so on, everyone can not be “superman” so to speak. There really is no need to judge everything and turn it into a competition and argue whats better or worse…to each his own said the farmer that kissed the cow? Dwayne if you like the U.S. better great I can appreciate that and as you pointed out there are a lot of beautiful places to love. About big business in the industrrialized world and there agenda, that we won’t agree on so no need for me to go on about that.

dkt2u

What is sad is thAT many of the regulars here have so much venum and hatred towards the US they are not, and probably will never experience the Pura Vida they are so quick to profess was their reason for moving here. For those that left the US because you hate it, hate it’s leaders, hate the way things are, etc. I would say……Ok, fine, that was your reason, now then let it go. You moved out, you packed up and left for greener pastures and didn’t want to stay and fight to make things what ever your version of better was supposed to be. Most of you come across as little whiny disgruntled babies because you don’t get your way. You can’t live and experience what Pura Vida really is when everytime someone says they don’t hate the US in the way you do that the veins pop out in your forehead and your soul purpose in life becomes convincing them that The US is the cause of every problem in the world today. Most who will believe almost any conspiracy theory that comes along as long as it bashes the US and it’s leaders are no better than the ones on the oposite end that will only believe everything their leaders tell them. Ignorance is not bliss, and in this day and age can be very dangerous. You have to be smart enough to not believe eveything that is said, just because it supports the hatred you have. Here’s a little secret it seems some of you have forgotten. We moved to Costa Rica because…….and here it is……but don’t tell anyone else……..it’s because WE LIKE COSTA RICA !!!!

dwaynedixon

Although I can’t write so that I cover every angle of how I feel and what I mean, I think a lot of people now understand the basics of what I’m talking about.

I believe most people relocate for factors unrelated to politics and so I wish the focus was not on politics when describing why you are leaving America. This crap about getting out because of TSA or the current administration is shortsighted to me, because America will get passes all of this in years to come so there is no reason to leave with regard to short term politics.

I will leave America, but it is more about getting away from the “franchises” in America, the cookie cutter everything. I don’t want to see a McDonalds or a Home Depot or a Sears or a Macys or a Kmart. I want to experience the unusual. I love getting out of my comfort zone. America will always be great to me and quite honestly nothing is better than America to me, but I just want a different experience, it is as simple as that for me. I wish others could describe their reason for relocating in as simple terms.

vegasknite

SO what are you trying to say after a good night sleep you are ready to agree there is some anti American sediment from a few on this forum
    and none of us agree with them.

And then there are the rest of us that have or are relocating out of the USA for our own personal reasons which have nothing to do with US policy or politics. And Yes God Bless America. And may God Bless what ever places we choose to relocate to. May we all live Pura Vida if we end up in Costa Rica.

dwaynedixon

I’m saying that I wish they would leave quietly if they think there are problems, because to be barking while running away is a bit lame and cowardly to me. Many of you won’t ever live in Costa Rica and for the minority that does, they will be heading back in less than 2 years for whatever reason (many different reasons). On there way out the door, some know they could very well be back, some don’t want to but have to, there are many situations, but many will be back.

Don’t buy a house in Costa Rica, RENT! It takes little effort to buy. Once you arrive and while renting, pay attention to the amount of time houses are on the market in Costa Rica and remember that if the For Sale sign disappears, it doesn’t mean sold, it likely means they gave up trying to sell. BE CAREFUL because there are some who will promote CR because it is in their best interest. If the market is bad in the USA, it has to be many times worse in a country that has no MLS. BE CAREFUL people – RENT is a wonderful 4 letter word!

aguirrewar

Thank you Scott, we have a threat going because you did not terminate someone.

aguirrewar

Lotus: READ the constitution and not we love CR.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.