‘Why’ we’re leaving the USA for Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum ‘Why’ we’re leaving the USA for Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

If you examine developing countries becoming more developed you can see them evolve from a basic diet of rice and beans (for example) low in animal proteins and then as they become more affluent, the amount of red meat, other animal proteins & fast foods in their diet increases dramatically and their health problems, fertility and longevity begins to deteriorate.

It would appear that in our ‘developed world’- the US and many parts of Europe – is indeed fat (but not so happy) and the arteries are getting clogged up which will inevitably lead to a heart attack – hopefully we will learn from that heart attack when it comes (althoiugh some might say we have already had that heart attack) and not continue along the same self-destructive path until we are whacked with a debilitating stroke.

Unfortunately, apart from the very small, most affluent levels of society there also appears to be some serious intellectual stagnation.

Whether this is due to the ‘entertainment’ industry, the underfunded public education system or simply lack of hunger (to improve oneself or for food) it doesn’t really matter – we’ve got really serious problems in the first world which is definitely sliding down the scale in most categories.

What’s the solution? Is there one? Or, is this just one of the cycles that we must go through?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

maravilla

There are some cultures in Africa who have never been exposed to industrialized foods, consequently they have almost zero incidences of cancer, stroke, or heart disease. They also have nearly perfect teeth. The minute we give these cultures our chemicalized, nutrient negative fast foods and processed garbage, they start to resemble our own society — they get fat, they have to take drugs, they start getting cancer, and all the other manmade diseases. In cultures where the diet is simple, even rice and beans, or a slug of blood from their cow, the population is healthier than the general population in America where the stats are now that 70% of our population is overweight/obese and we are bankrupting our medical systems with these created illnesses.

Alfred

Here’s a little example of better health while we visited CR. My kids and I all suffer from chronic sinus problems. I have used Flonase and OTC nasal sprays for years. During our 9 days in Costa Rica I found I didn’t have to use the nasal sprays at all. Similar to last visits experience. After returning to the US the relief lasted for 3 months, and now I’m back on the sprays. My children also had similar experiences with their sinuses. Maybe its mind over matter but we did feel better.
    We also felt we ate better food there and as a consequence we all lost between 3&5 pounds in 9 days. And we had plenty of arroz con frijoles. Overall, all of us had better sleep and more energy.
    Maybe the stress free environment and being on vacation helped, but I really think there is something to eating more natural foods and well being.

Now after just coming back from the Dentist and having a failed dental implant turn into a bone graft, having a deep scaling performed, and remembering all the posts I read here last night, and again now, I think I’ll join Davidcmurray and take a couple of painkillers…The Novocaine is just starting to wear off.

*Lotus

Alfred,
    Regarding your family sinus problems you may want to have allergy testing done by a good integrative doctor/Allergist. I also suffered this and after many visits to an ENT finaly looked elswhere, turned out I had a severe mold and cat allergy( I have a cat!).
    Keith

Alfred

Re-posted below

Edited on Jan 17, 2007 16:55

Alfred

Thank Lotus, Actually we have been tested for allergies. I’m allergic to dust mites, and of all crazy things, cockroaches. The problem with dust mites is they’re everywhere! We solved some of it by removing carpets from the lower level of the house. My eldest son suffers from mostly outdoor allergens. My youngest is allergic to dogs and cats…we have three dogs and one cat. Kinda hard to get rid of the pets though.
    I appreciate the help and wonder if the mites and other fauna and flora are somehow different in CR.
    As a side note, your photo is quite striking! As I always say, Costa Rica is one country where there are so many good looking people. I hope I don’t upset that balance when I finally get there.
    Thanks again.

dwaynedixon

What a bunch of crybabies! Instead of doing anything to make the world a better place, you run away to Costa Rica which is absolutely NO better by a long shot that the US of A. Anyone ever been near a bus or a big truck in CR – all that black crap coming out of the tailpipes? Even the little things like trying to cross the street… amazing that cars really do have the right of way. Where there are sidewalks, they really suck. I was in a taxi on my way to the airport in CR, cop pulled us over, I had to pay my fare up front so the driver could pay the cop 15$ to leave. You aren’t allowed to complain unless you are doing something proactive to repair/change what you think is so bad in the USA, because otherwise you are just a crybaby and people tire of what you have to say. No one will listen in the real world so you get on a REAL ESTATE website to puke all over people about the injustices that you are RUNNING from – weak!

How many of the last 3 presidents in CR have went to jail? Sure you can fire back with something about a US lawmaker going to jail, but all I’m saying is that CR is no different, actually worse. You guys go to CR to be bystanders – to live a unless life yet you complain about the USA. How lame, shame on you!

Get off your high horse, none of you are any better than anyone in our past or present governments. Please, go buy another selfhelp book.

dwaynedixon

Oooops, forgot to mention leaving your home in CR… can you do it with any comfort or should you worry about all your nice neighbors coming in to steal all of your material wealth?

I don’t have to lock my car or my doors… I don’t have to worry about anyone steal my pure breed dog from my yard.

No worries in CR…. yeah, right. Be sure to wear your gasmask in SJ when you go to protect you from the smoking buses, trucks and cars…. don’t take it off in the bar, lots of second hand smoke in there. It is so relaxing in CR, such a great place…. if you need a hooker.

I hope the America women who go to CR with their husbands or BFs are secure in their relationships because all is takes is 40 dollars to have a little on the side.

Don’t get me wrong – I LIKE COSTA RICA!!!! I just don’t think it is any better than the USA, actually worse, much much worse in many many ways, but this is the part that I like, it is something different but NOT better than the USA.

Alfred

Dwaynedixon, Like everyone else, you are entitled to your own opinion. Some people come here to praise, others to bash. The curious thing is why so many of us lately are even thinking of leaving the US. Most people posting here, I think, are “Baby Boomers.” I believe we are looking at the prospects of retirement and what is happening day by day in the good ole USA. Costa Rica is a fairly young democracy, and as such should get better given time. No, its not the panacea for every issue we have with whats going on back home, but we like it too for it’s differences.

Alfred

Just realized I may have been trying to speak for others in my previous post. Would not want to do that. Just change the we’s to I.

*Lotus

In playa Hermosa/Jaco there are a lot of very good looking surfers crawling around everywhere! Ladies tell your hubbies you want a surf lesson there, Lol! So I appreciate all the nice comments but I think my girlfriend should get the credit for taking a nice picture! But at 43 with 2 kids in college I’ll take what I can get. Alfred, rather than the steroid sprays etc my doctor made me a tincure I took to build my bodies immunity to my allergys and this worked very well. I have also had good results with the homeopathic drops/and sprays from Bio-Alliers a swiss company. I just did not want to do the steroid sprays. Boy before I was dianosed with allergys I was running around to ent docs wanting to give me all kind of drugs for chronic sinusitis. There were times I was in so much pain I wanted to cry, I couldn’t function.

dwaynedixon

What is happening day by day in the USA is a lot better than what is happening day by day in Costa Rica.

By the time that young democracy gets better, since you guys are mostly Baby Boomers, you’ll be dead before a noticeable change takes place.

It is a panacea for very few issues, because all of CR’s issues, are many times worst than in the USA. Someone should start a website for the Americans who left CR to comment – 2 years is usually all people can take of that country. Most of the babyboomers on this site are new there (or just dreaming of being there) so you are still talking as if it is just so wonderful…. give it time, many come running back home because the USA compared to CR is a smooth running machine.

You can run to CR, but you can’t run from being an American. If America is so bad, become a citizen of that great Costa Rica and denounce your American citizenship. Oh, no, you won’t do that, that is too scary. After you do that, you’ll be in a great position to knowing how Costa Rician citizens feel about their gov’t which CAN NOT be GOOD (remember those presidents, how many in jail?). If you had to worry about the Costa Rician gov’t the same way you have to worry about the USA gov’t and the same way Costa Ricians worry about their gov’t, worrying about the US gov’t is a lot less stressful.

What a bunch of crybabies.

maravilla

At least Costa Rica puts there corrupt officials in jail. We do nothing but give them cushy jobs and a fat book deal when they leave office. And that moron in the white house doesn’t scare you? He’s reading your e-mails, listening to your phone conversation, opening your mail, all with impunity. Now the North American Union is happening without approval from Congress — god only knows what’s in the pipeline that we won’t find out about until it’s too late. I don’t think CR is a paradise, and it does have its blemishes, but I like life down there so I won’t be one of the ones to come crawling back to the US. If things get bad in CR, there’s always Argentina or Paraguay!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Dwayne, there are at least a couple of things you overlook. One is that the national government of the U.S. and the national government of Costa Rica do not, in themselves, constitute the whole of either country. There are many other sectors, public and private, that have their strengths and weaknesses, attractions and detractions.

We’ve been here for a year and a half. Last June, we returned to the U.S. to visit family and friends and to shop. Other than those folks and the convenience of being able to find everything in one place, there was nothing we could point to that we had been missing. We returned home (here, in Costa Rica) relieved to be back. We lived in some pretty liveable places (Lansing, Michigan and the Outer Banks of North Carolina), but the ease and comfort of living in Costa Rica can’t be beat. It sounds like Maravilla hasn’t lived here for any extended period of time, and maybe she will go back, but we won’t.

And I wonder how long you lived here, in Costa Rica, before you left to return to the U.S.

maravilla

But I’ve lived in mexico and the yucatan and I never ever wanted to leave those places. that’s how i feel about costa rica. frankly, i never ever really liked living in the u.s. — i was always happier in a foreign country, so i can’t imagine what would take place in costa rica to make me want to come back here. as i said, if costa rica became intolerable, we’d look at other south american countries before even considering a move back to the states.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.