‘Why’ we’re leaving the USA for Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum ‘Why’ we’re leaving the USA for Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

We’ll leave the kindergarten name calling out of the forum please…

Please show us a respectable source for your information about “2 years is usually all people can take of that country.”

Unlike the USA, the actions of the Costa Rican government are not threatening the very survival of the human species.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

PS. You would be surprised at how many former Americans I have met in my capacity as a professional international wealth management advisor (living in Cayman, Costa Rica and Switzerland) who have indeed renounced their citizenship. Just for the record, I do NOT work with US citizens

dwaynedixon

I call it as I see it – crybabies is very fiting.

I can speak comfortably about other topics without losing my cool, but all this crap about the USA is short term thinking. We have over 200 very good years and no country gets to this point without being GREAT so all the doomsday talk is just stupid in my opinion. Things in the USA are in very good shape regardless of what is happening in Iraq and regardless of your inconvenience when passing through security at the airport. Doesn’t the police at airports in Europe carry machine guns? Judging what is happening in the short term as if it has been happening for decades is unfair. It isn’t about the extremes, it is about the middle and we’ve corrected the extremes over and over again over the CENTURIES, What is happening now won’t go on forever so there is no reason to LEAVE the USA for what is happening now in the SHORT TERM. Our long term future rests in the middle.

Okay, so maybe you can supply some numbers about the number of people renouncing their US citizenship? As you look for these numbers, I’ll look for the supporting documentation about expats returning home after 2 years.

Costa Rica is a piece of crap when compared to the USA yet I realize that as a result of your US citizenship (not you Scott) people can lead very comfortable and useless lives in Costa Rica.

Maravilla – please renounce your citizenship!

maravilla

you’re really funny dwayne. i actually could renounce my citizenship because i have another passport. the people who usually go running back to the safety net are the ones who refuse to assimilate in another culture, they don’t want to learn to speak spanish, and they don’t want to give up the junk food they’re so used to living on. i’ve seen that 2 year stat on other sites, and in fact, there was a woman who, after two years, threw in the towel and went “home” — her reasons for leaving were:

1. there are bugs

2. they speak spanish

3. it rains a lot.

Thankfully, she left. there are some gringos who should never leave the safety of their little enclave because they are not equipped to deal with anything other than what they’ve been brainwashed to do and believe.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Last warning dwaynedixon

Calling Costa Rica a “piece of crap” and telling us the so many people can lead “comfortable and useless lives in Costa Rica” is not particularly enlightening.

You either contribute to this forum in a constructive fashion or, we delete your registration and you can start your own “I hate Costa Rica’ website and forum!

Your choice

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

PS. The number of people renouncing US citizenship is easy to find, you will NOT find the information about the number of people who have lived here in Costa Rica and then returned, that data doesn’t exist and that was my point.

vegasknite

Wow I hadn’t been reading the forum for 24 hours and it looks like we are at war. Allow me to jump in here a moment and try to bring some peace to the table.

As anyone who as ever read any of my posts can tell I support the USA 100% while also being in love with the lifestyle and people of Costa Rica. The ignorance being spouted here is amazing I could change the geographics to living in NYC vs California and would get similar arguments. Why not take note that we are talking about personal preference about where one may choose to want to live. The choice does not require bashing either place.

NOW I AM THE VERY PROUD PARENT OF A US MARINE STATIONED IN JAPAN DEPLOYED IN THE MIDDLE EAST. My son chose to enlist he wasn’t drafted as many baby boomers may have been. His choice was made because he felt he is an American citizen wanted to defend his country. I have no issue with any American who wishes to give up their citizenship or maintain it. I have no issue with anyone who wishes to live out their life in the USA or Costa Rica. I have no issue with anyone who wants to try something different and then decides its not for them and returns to the US or decides they made a good choice for themselves and wants to remain in their new home in a foriegn country.

Costa Rica is a beautiful country with beautiful people and knocking it doesn’t make the US a better place just as knocking the US doesn’t make Costa Rica a better place. Get real they are different and have different things to offer indivisuals and the world. Whatever your thoughts are they are your thoughts just as opinions are opinions Facts are Facts however. I haven’t read a whole lot of facts supporting most arguments I just read on here. This lack of use of facts has caused me to attack some people on here in the past and I refuse to do that again. This isn’t a political forum rather it is a place to come and learn about Costa Rica. If you don’t like Costa Rica why are you here find some politcal board and have at it. The same goes for all you haters of the USA this isn’t a political board for you to bash America or Americans get off here and go to a political site and have at it in fact I am certain there will be many more places to bash the US than you will find to bash Costa Rica. Now unless you are just on here to support your small minded thinking that you are some sort of expert into world politics and want to see your words here I suggest that you get back to the business at hand and use this forum to support the oppertunity for peeople to learn about Costa Rica ask and answer questions relevant to the subject matter and leave the country bashing to other places. I have used restraint not to single out anyone by name or to make this personal and it was easy for me to do so I chose to. You can choose to also.

Pura Vida and God Bless America

aguirrewar

Scott, you are wrong. The 5th amendment in the Constitution of the USA grants freedom of speech, maybe you need to read it and establish who has more credibility, (we love CR or that 200+ year old piece of paper). Take back the last warning statement. dwaynedixon is defending his country in his own manner, you are defending your website. There is a difference. I do not agree with him but let him blog. Only if he parts with the rules established in your blog can you terminate him. Care to respond? Both of you.

*Lotus

What does the u.s. constitution have to do with this web site? I think Scotts style is more of a benevolent dictator anyway..Lol

Andrew
    Keymaster

I won’t “take back” anything but thanks for the suggestion.

I believe “be nice, no profanity and no name calling” is mentioned at the top of this page and we’re going to maintain that tone.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

vegasknite

As I wrote previously ignorance is scary. All of you legal scholars take note The First Amendment Guarantees Freedom of Speech in the US Constitution The 5th Amendment Guarantees Due Process in the law as well as several issues in regard to one’s legal rights within the United States. Not that I am a constitutional expert I just know fact from Rhetoric. So Scott you are still OK under the 5th amendment. And you may plead the fifth on all other accusations. I would suggest that anyone who said you should read this 200 + year old document read it first and become familiar with it before quoting it incorrectly to you. Not that I believe you needed my help defending your position. I KEEP BEING REMINDED OF THAT GREAT US PRESIDENT ABE LINCOLN’S WORDS “IT IS BETTER TO BE SILENT AND THOUGHT A FOOL THAN SPEAK AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT” OR IN THIS CASE TYPE

Edited on Jan 19, 2007 16:12

Alfred

I had a feeling this was going to blow up like the last time. I want to state for myself, that I am proud to have been born, raised and still living in America (USA). I’m not a crybaby nor will I ever be. I just have seen things over the past 51 years that gives me concern. I still am an American and most likely will always be. Like everyone else here, I appreciate the opportunity Scott has given me to express those concerns and opinions. I will defend the USA when I feel she is right, and I will question her when I feel she is not. This is my right as an American.
    The thing that concerns me is that those rights are slowly slipping away. Whether by apathy or by design. As you may not know I am a Conservative, Not a Neo-Con, but a Viejo-Con, if there is such a word. I have fought for my country, not on the battlefield, but have so in many other ways since my youth, trying to preserve a way of life given to me by my Immigrant Grandfather.
    I will not question anyone’s patriotism or lack thereof concerning the USA. I have had conversations with Liberals and Conservatives alike. If an intelligent argument can be made on either side, I will Listen. Some of what I have read here has gotten personal, and not in the spirit of honest exchange. This is a forum of ideas, opinions and maybe even aspirations. Let’s try, as Scott reminded us, to keep it civil.

My reasons for loving Costa Rica are not the same as everyone elses. They cannot possibly be. We are all different. I can only tell you I love Costa Rica for its people first. The way they act and have treated me, their family structure and humble attitude that has endeared them to me. The country’s natural beauty and the relaxed feeling I get while being there is also high on my list. There are numerous other reasons which I will not get into now.

Love Costa Rica, the USA or any other place on Earth, it is your priviledge.

Alfred

Lotus, Thanks again for the info. I don’t like taking those steroids much myself. What you said about the tincture sounds interesting. I have tried some homeopathic remedies but they have not worked all that well. I will check these out and give them a try.

Thanks again,
    Al

dwaynedixon

I can handle not calling people names, but calling Costa Rica a piece of crap seems a bit too strict. I honesty thought that the whole reason around going to Costa Rica was generally to lead comfortable and useless lives Scott. I mean, many people are moving there to just chill out so although “useless” is blunt, it isn’t far from the truth. Take a look at “useful” and its meaning – I just don’t see what Americans overall are doing in Costa Rica is “useful” so “useless” seems fiting. To be fair, if I lived there, especially in retirement, I would certainly be leading a useless life.

Funny, you guys ignore the truths in my posts… the smoking buses, the awful sidewalks, worrying about those great people in Costa Rica from robbing you blind and simple little things like cars, imagine that, having the right of way. How about those wonderful potholes in CR and those ragtag bridges with boards missing on major roadways – great country, great government! I could add more to this list, but what’s the use, you guys know deep down that Costa Rica isn’t so great, but instead a place you can escape to.

You paid no attention to what I said about 200 GREAT years which shows you would rather deflect what I say by talking about violating policy instead of addressing the truth about the USA. The USA is great! An Indian who I work with could live in Indian with a driver, maid, etc., but where does he choose to work and live… you got it, not Costa Rica, not India, the USA. There are countless examples of this behavior – millions times more than those that are renouncing their citizenship (still waiting on those numbers Scott…. Maravilla basically validated what I said).

Mexico is a nice place too for Americans, but look how many Mexicans are in the USA… if only Costa Rica were closer, they would be here too. Even rich Mexicans choose to live in the USA – wonder why, is it because the USA is GREAT?

Maravilla – when you renounce your citizenship, let us know, because otherwise you aren’t saying a lot by saying “you could.” I “could” be president of the USA, but saying I could doesn’t mean a lot now does it?

Why is polical speak allowed on this website anyway? I’ve seen it before, see it now, isn’t real estate and “moving to Costa Rica” speak enough to make this website interesting? By allowing political speak, you are simply asking for trouble. Funny, when people talk about the USA in a negative way, you jump to agree Scott, yet when someone defends her, you want to shut them down with “calling Costa Rica a piece of crap” is a violation of my terms. I have a feeling you’d welcome someone saying that the USA is a piece of crap. The USA isn’t the greatest country in the world, but in many ways, it is one of the greatest country’s in the world (only a few countries are in this category). No matter what people say here and no matter our short term challenges, I’ll never think poorly of America the beautiful.

If you want to talk to me, make an appointment!

dwaynedixon

“My reasons for loving Costa Rica are not the same as everyone elses. They cannot possibly be. We are all different. I can only tell you I love Costa Rica for its people first. The way they act and have treated me, their family structure and humble attitude that has endeared them to me. The country’s natural beauty and the relaxed feeling I get while being there is also high on my list. There are numerous other reasons which I will not get into now.”

Can you speak spanish? If you can’t speak spanish, you don’t know the people of Costa Rica. As written on here before, they’ll treat you fine until they realize they have nothing to gain from talking to you.

People in Costa Rica are absolutely no more special than others in the world. Maybe the fact that most and I really mean most would rob you blind in a second should tell you something. Why do we Americans need 2 lawyers in Costa Rica, because even the lawyers might help rip us off behind the scenes so you need 1 lawyer to watch the other lawyer. If they are so special, it would be more worry free in Costa Rica, but it isn’t a worry free country, no way, no how.

Our country over 51 years over 100 years has been all over the place yet we continue to get back to the middle which the last election was all about. There is nothing to worry about, the American people are the smartest and most fair in the world so when things go too far to the left or the right, we act to bring things back to the middle, give it time, that’s all it takes.

I’m a conservative too, but I wouldn’t want the repubs to rule for 50 years and I wouldn’t want the dems to rule for 50 years. I like the middle so I welcome the dems to power, because when they come to power they pull us back to the middle and then with enough time, too far to the left so what happens then? The America people sense this and give power to the repubs so back to the middle we go, but give them enough time and we’ll be too far to the right…. on and on again. This is us over time.

*Lotus

My doc’s allergist in the office makes them according to your specific allergy under his guidance. Best of luck.

bradbard

As a British citizen living and working in Costa Rica, I’m not sure Scott’s that interested in the 5th amendment and I have no clue how much time you have spent outside the good ole’ US of A there aguirrewar but our President has trashed the Constitution, made our country a laughing stock all over the world, made a mockery of ‘freedom of speech’ and given a whole new meaning to the words lies, deceit, hypocrisy and genocide and as for ‘doomsday’ isn’t it our country that is threatening to use nuclear weapons against another country because we accuse them of wanting to have what we’ve already got? Nuclear weapons! Except we have ten thousand + nuclear weapons? I guess that’s not ‘doomsday’ enough for soem of us in this forum? Our country that has armed forces in over 100 countries?

So concerned are some of the world’s most brilliant minds that only two days ago “The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (BAS) is moving the minute hand of the Doomsday Clock two minutes closer to midnight. It is now 5 minutes to midnight. Reflecting global failures to solve the problems posed by nuclear weapons and the climate crisis…”

By moving the hand of the Clock closer to midnight — the figurative end of civilization — the BAS Board of Directors is drawing attention to the increasing dangers from the spread of nuclear weapons in a world of violent conflict, and to the catastrophic harm from climate change that is unfolding. The BAS statement explains: “We stand at the brink of a Second Nuclear Age. Not since the first atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki has the world faced such perilous choices. North Korea’s recent test of a nuclear weapon, Iran’s nuclear ambitions, a renewed emphasis on the military utility of nuclear weapons, the failure to adequately secure nuclear materials, and the continued presence of some 26,000 nuclear weapons in the United States and Russia are symptomatic of a failure to solve the problems posed by the most destructive technology on Earth.”

The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists was founded in 1945 by University of Chicago scientists who had worked on the Manhattan Project and were deeply concerned about the use of nuclear weapons and nuclear war, but maybe dwayndixon knows more about nuclear weapons than they do?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.