Whats holding you back

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Whats holding you back

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    costaricafinca
    Participant

Having lived here now, for over 9 years, I understand when one says [i]’that they feel Costa Rica calls them’.[/i] And with the cost of living that has risen[i]all over the world[/i] don’t expect to live like they used to say [i]”…in Costa Rica for $600 per month”[/i].
    [b]It won’t happen.[/b]
    For those still holding back before taking this move, consider the new requirements that will take place on March 1st this year.
    I [i]bet[/i], that many of you are [i]not even aware[/i] of these new [url=]financial changes[/url]. And how are you going to support yourselves, unless money is not one of your concerns? Especially if you have children that need to be schooled, because you will most likely decide to use private schools and [i]they are not cheap.[/i]
    One of the most common reasons for someone to return ‘home’, is ‘missing family’ so if you are constantly visiting or phoning family members, [i]please[/i] take this into consideration.
    Come for an extended trip, and do not purchased the first home you look at in an area that you have no idea what it is really like to live there, because it has a [i]view to die for.[/i] There will be another…and another..and another.

Potoo

😯

Love it in CR BUT no income other than measly bank interest; a good sized nest egg but a long way to retirement so I guess 250000 US short lol – can someone start a collection for me?

Rich

sprite

Most Soc Sec checks will not be enough to sustain anything near a North American life style in Costa Rica from what I have gathered on many trips and articles. I know of one gentleman who is living in CR on a $1200 per month check and he seems OK with it. But he does not own a car and I am guessing not many other amenities either.

I have always planned on some additional income beyond a soc sec check. There are ways of doing this if savings do not suffice without breaking any laws.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Yes, a single person can live in CR on a $1200 per month (which is [i] more[/i] than required of a pensionado) check, if he has a reasonable rent, no car and it’s expensive maintenance. Add in a family and most of the modern conveniences that most North Americans expect and it will be more difficult.

sprite

I remember Scott Oliver once listed his monthly expenses and it amounted to about $2000. From his post, his expenses include business meals and other costs most people wouldn’t have. SO I suppose if one owns a house, a couple grand a month should suffice for a couple to get by quite comfortably. I am counting on that, anyway.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[i]On that amount you can even take us out for dinner![/i]
    Rent, car and the extra costs that go with it is the ‘killer’.

maravilla

i don’t know how ya’ll are living, but i spend less than $800 a month and i live better than most people living on double or triple that amount. i don’t have a car, and at this point after having my neighbor’s car for 8 months, i don’t know if i even want one. it’s a lot easier to take the bus and a taxi. of course my house is paid for, but my other expenses are a fraction of those of my neighbors’ — their ICE luz bill tops $100, often up to $200, whereas my bill for last month was $46. i don’t have a TV but that’s by choice. i have hi-speed internet and stream anything i want on that, including free first run movies. we eat better than anyone i know — never buy junk or packaged food, hardly buy meat or chicken except for what i feed the dogs, we don’t eat out because i haven’t found any restaurants that meet my standards. we have CAJA but never use it, don’t take any meds of any kind, so we have no big expenses there. we go to the beach, the hot springs, and other little day trips here and there. i’ve tried spending more than $800 a month, and it’s hard for me. there is nothing i want or need. that $800+/- is for two people. when i am here by myself, i only spend about $600, so it can be done, and i don’t even know what is a typical american lifestyle that costs so much. we are mostly vegetarian, and fruits and vegetables, beans, brown rice, etc are still cheap here. i get eggs from a neighbor, milk and fresh butter from the local dairy up the road, i have a small garden with all my herbs, garlic, and lettuces, but that doesn’t really offset my foods costs by more than about $10 a month. i don’t feel deprived or lacking in anything — oh, and i manage to even save money on that amount. but i don’t think many people could live the simple life, but i’ve been preparing for this existence for 30 years and i find it a lot less stressful than having all the bells and whistles that have to be paid for at some point.

sueandchris

Maravilla: I can’t imagine who would thing that the life you’ve described wouldn’t be lovely! Thanks for the great details!

sprite

Maravilla,
    all of that is very encouraging to read. I also am mostly a vegetarian and have simple needs. I don’t care to eat out much and I get all my entertainment at home via my computer..no TV. This has been a recent discovery for me. All the programming that interests me is on the net for free, including first run movies.

But, as a North American, I have trouble imagining life without a personal vehicle. I love to sea kayak and a car is essential to get me and my kayak to the water ( I don’t want to live at sea level any longer..too hot) I suppose there are other interests I could take up but I think I might still feel stranded without a car. I have never in my life time relied on public transport so that could prove a difficult addiction to break.

maravilla

i am here to tell you that as a real california girl, (who until i moved to new york in the early 80’s, had never been on a bus in my life), that not having a car is not that big a deal. when i go to town now on the bus, i get to walk everywhere, meet all the people i know, stop and talk to folks on the street, chat with the vendors in stores i frequent, and know where every single thing is in my town. you can’t have that experience when you are driving around the block looking for a parking space. i can’t imagine not having a car in colorado, but here, public trans and taxis are so cheap and efficient that i haven’t had a problem not having a car. all my friends have one so we go to the beach with them, sometimes i go to the feria with a girlfriend, but even when i had a car for 8 months here, i found it stressful. if i want to go to SJO, i take the bus. if i wanted to take a trip somewhere in costa rica, i would either borrow a car or rent one. i didn’t think i could do this life here without a car, but i proved myself wrong.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We too live a quiet life, here on the farm. Very seldom eat out, or purchase packaged food, but we do buy meat & chicken (even though we have meat chickens) but there is a few very good restaurants near us, so we use them. Also we have vehicle and its never ending costs.
    So, it is definitely do-able, [i]if you don’t have to pay rent or the on-going expenses of a car.[/i]

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I am always struck by the vast differences in what people can be comfortable living on. maravilla, I can’t imagine how you do it, but I salute you for your ability to live on what I would characterize as an almost poverty-level budget. But if you’re comfortable, more’s the better. I’d never make it on what you spend.

I recall that in my days as a welfare caseworker I had a client who received Food Stamps. In those days (the early 1970s) the Food Stamp allowance was less than $1.00 per day per family member. This woman had a long history of living in poverty and couldn’t figure out what to do with the other half of her monthly Food Stamp allowance.

maravilla

what is poverty level about my life? that i am not wasteful or spend my money on frivolous things that i neither need nor improve my life? i am lacking absolutely nothing. i have a beautiful house (2 houses actually; one paid for) and it’s not like this $800 is ALL i have; it’s just what i spend! and when i’m here alone, i save $200 a month because i only spend $600. we are not living on rice and beans. both my husband and i are chefs. we can cook almost any kind of cuisine; we choose not to eat meat or chicken, not because we can’t afford it. gringo living is all about excess, but i have stripped all of that away and live with only what i need and what makes my life comfortable. i could teach a class on how to live cheaply in costa rica and stop being a gringo consumer. I have one neighbor who can’t believe my ICE Luz bill is less than $50 when his is way over a hundred. one need only to go to his house and see where the difference is — TV on all day, lights on all day, computer(s) running, all manner of appliances plugged in. that to me is a complete waste of resources AND money. and their grocery bills run over $150 a week because the shopping cart is loaded with packaged food, soda, all kinds of junk stuff that i would never eat and which is expensive to boot. people think this can’t be done, but i’m telling you it can be without a lot of sacrifices once you get down to priorities. i keep a spreadsheet on every colon i spend, right down to an espresso at the local cafe. my fixed expenses are less than $200 a month. Food is about another $250. that leaves me $350 to blow on other things such as the vet, dentist, beach, etc. i certainly don’t feel impoverished. in fact i feel rather rich because i have no debt at all except a small mortgage on my house in Colorado. no debt = no stress.

Potoo

🙂

Good for you Maravilla

It’s certainly nothing to do with poverty more to do with adaptability! My wifw and I ate very well indeed for a month stating in a rented house in PV for just 320 US/month so adding a power bill of 100/month what does that say?
    No car needed, beach 300m walk away, sunshine, flowers, wildlife and lovely people all around the finca.

Compare that UK where our monthly shop is at least 750 US and then a whole cartful of taxes on top. Just to tax a car and run it for a year wouldnt be less than 3000 (oops)US/yeat here WITHOUT gas at 10 YES 10 US a litre for diesel!!!

I wait for the day when I can buy a small place in CR in the meantime I have to be happy visiting for 6 months/year if I can make it.

Rich

maravilla

see, david? it’s not so hard to get down to pura vida! other people do it too, not just frugal me! thank you, rich, for sharing. i was beginning to think i had to go out and spend more money to be happy! jejeje

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 186 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.