Whats holding you back

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Whats holding you back

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    costaricafinca
    Participant

You will find lots of them at any of the bars in Jaco, any time, night or day 😆

Vmc

[quote=”costaricafinca”]You will find lots of them at any of the bars in Jaco, any time, night or day :lol:[/quote]

OK…..Next question…..Drink prices???

costaricafinca
    Participant

Sorry, can’t help you with that part…:lol:

bentley

Recently vacationed in CR and loved it. The people and the country are amazing. True heaven.
    Biggest issue holding us back (my wife want to move there also) is simply we are of working age and would have a difficult time finding jobs or starting a business might prove difficult. We would also have to sell our current businesses yet would want to keep our home in Canada as well. Cost of flights to return at least once a year is also an issue as we have grown children and grandchildren also.

soldier

Dan,

I first came to Costa Rica in 1985, pursuant to a friend’s invite. During that vacation, my heart told me this is where I wanted to retire and live the rest of my life. I followed my head, and have made a total of eight trips to Costa Rica, scouting out locations, climate, etc. We finally bought a beachfront home in October 2009, during our vacation; the previous owner accepted an offer which we could not resist. In short, without becoming long winded, your heart and head will tell you if Costa Rica is right for you. One of our members previously posted this comment “Costa Rica picks you, you don’t pick Costa Rica,” I found this comment to be very true in many regards.

bentley

That is exactly how the both of us felt as soon as we got there. It was compounded daily with the people, environment, wildlife and a general feeling of wellbeing and “home”. We plan on returning at least twice this year to look at different areas and towns. If we come into money I can guarantee we will be on the next flight.

Vmc

[quote=”Bentley”]That is exactly how the both of us felt as soon as we got there. It was compounded daily with the people, environment, wildlife and a general feeling of wellbeing and “home”. We plan on returning at least twice this year to look at different areas and towns. If we come into money I can guarantee we will be on the next flight.[/quote]

I can tell you this…. Without ever having been there, we both feel drawn to Costa Rica. So much so, that our timetable for coming down keeps getting shortened.

If we take the time to do this over the course of several visits, then we will never be able to afford to do it, so we will strike while the iron is hot, so to speak.

My wife has become CONSUMED with reading everything she can get her hands on, and as for me, well, you SEE where I am right now……..LOL

We are making plans for the disposition of all we have. What goes, what stays, etc.. We are both just so fed up with making $80k a year and STILL living paycheck to paycheck, and believe me there is NO extravagance in our lives.

I turn 50 in April and my wife 31 in March. She’s working herself to death at a really ROTTEN company, and not even enjoying the fruits of her labor, and I can no longer stand to watch this happen. Add the hell-in-a-handbasket direction this Country is free-falling towards, and our decision is an easy one, it’s the execution we have to get right the first time.

She he deserves better, and fail or succeed, we will be there before all the snow has melted in New York.

I’ve talked to and heard from some fascinating people, who have extended us many kindnesses, and if I have to come down and start another blog and spend my time writing about OUR experiences and helping others then, well, I can once again feel useful.

I have a book in me anyhow, as one can see by my short posts (Sorry), and I can’t think of a better place to start the process.

Pura Vida!

Dan.

bentley

WOW, I admire your conviction. Given the residence requirements in CR how do you plan on supporting your family? Unless you have a lot of money stashed away it may be difficult. I hear you in regards to not enjoying the fruits of your labour and I am sure the vast majority of people are in the same boat. My issue and concern with moving is the probability of exchanging one problem for another. Then its a case of which is better in the long run.
    Snow is not a problem for us, uh, the Winter Olympics are on here and we have no snow.
    Pura Vida!

Vmc

[quote=”Bentley”]WOW, I admire your conviction. Given the residence requirements in CR how do you plan on supporting your family? Unless you have a lot of money stashed away it may be difficult. I hear you in regards to not enjoying the fruits of your labour and I am sure the vast majority of people are in the same boat. My issue and concern with moving is the probability of exchanging one problem for another. Then its a case of which is better in the long run.
    Snow is not a problem for us, uh, the Winter Olympics are on here and we have no snow.
    Pura Vida![/quote]

Thanks I appreciate that….I’m a Disabled Veteran and have a permanent income just North of $4000 a month, and if I am hearing correctly, I might squeak by on that in CR, and my wife and I can enjoy what years I have left, and she, all the years that will follow.

I want the cultural learning for my kids as well……They have been totally polluted with the American Consumerism lifestyle……It will be a while before I will be able to tear the Wii or the PS3 away from them, but we plan on keeping them busy……..Well, as much as possible anyway.

As for SNOW…..blah, I need a TAN!

Pura Vida!

Dan.

maravilla

should something happen to you, how would your wife support herself here or what % of your pension would she get to live on? if you cannot live here on half of what your stated income is, there is something terribly wrong. even if you were terribly extravagant you should still be able to sock away a grand a month. nobody ever died from not having a ps3 or wii. they will be so much more culturally rich if you toss those things and get them into more productive ways to spend their time. solo mi dos granos.

Vmc

[quote=”maravilla”]should something happen to you, how would your wife support herself here or what % of your pension would she get to live on? if you cannot live here on half of what your stated income is, there is something terribly wrong. even if you were terribly extravagant you should still be able to sock away a grand a month. nobody ever died from not having a ps3 or wii. they will be so much more culturally rich if you toss those things and get them into more productive ways to spend their time. solo mi dos granos.[/quote]

LOL Maravilla, I enjoy your insights, and you’re right about PS3 deaths.

If I go to the happy hunting ground in the sky, my wife would get a nice chunk in the form of a widow’s benefit and my kids will continue till after college, so I am not worried about her, but I’ll be damned if I’m gonna kick off and leave her THERE to have all the fun!!

I know that once they become immersed in the culture and activity that the PS3 and stuff will gather dust……I just hope that [b]I[/b] don’t!!

costaricafinca
    Participant

You should then consider applying separately for pensionado status, because if and when you [i]’depart'[/i] your wife will not automatically keep her status, as she and your family are your ‘dependents’ so [b]unless by then you all have Permanent residency[/b][i][/i] she could be required to leave CR. She will need to apply using her own pension. If presently, your spouse does not have a pension of her own, she should apply under the Rentista status. Under Pensionado status your children are covered if they are under 18 or over if they are attending university in Costa Rica. Under Rentista status, they need to apply individually.

Vmc

[quote=”costaricafinca”]You should then consider applying separately for pensionado status, because if and when you [do i]’depart'[/i] your wife will not automatically keep her status, as she and your family are your ‘dependents’ so [b]unless by then you all have Permanent residency[/b][i][/i] she could be required to leave CR. She will need to apply using her own pension. If presently, your spouse does not have a pension of her own, she should apply under the Rentista status. Under Pensionado status your children are covered if they are under 18 or over if they are attending university in Costa Rica. Under Rentista status, they need to apply individually.[/quote]

Once again, my thanks……. We’ll apply as soon as possible once we get there, we just need to apply differently…..Good information!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Do you realize what the [url=http://blog.therealcostarica.com/2009/08/13/the-new-costa-rica-immigration-law/]Financial Requirements [/url]will be for this?
    You have posted previously that you have no savings, so ‘going this route’ would ‘seem impossible’.

Vmc

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Do you realize what the [url=http://blog.therealcostarica.com/2009/08/13/the-new-costa-rica-immigration-law/]Financial Requirements [/url]will be for this?
    You have posted previously that you have no savings, so ‘going this route’ would ‘seem impossible’.[/quote]

I’m sorry that you missed that I have a permanent disability income…..No worries, but I appreciate EVERY piece of info I get!

Dan.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 186 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.