War on drugs article

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum War on drugs article

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    doubleb

You got balls Scott Oliver speaking like you do in a country with no army.

When the poop really hits the fan though your politicians will be begging for help from the US Marines.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Yes I do indeed….

It would appear that doubleb is referring to my most recent article entitled ‘Fewer US Warships in Costa Rica Waters in 2011 – The war on drugs remains a farce’ which can be read at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/Fewer_US_Warships_in_Costa_Rica_Waters_in_2011__The_war_on_drugs_remains_a_farce.cfm ]

Thank you for you input doubleb however most of us know that Costa Rica has no army, most of us consider that a good thing so, please do tell!

What’s your point exactly with regards to the contents of this article?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

grb1063

What is the specific fecal matter you expect to hit the fan in CR that would ever warrant calling in the US Marines? Nicaragua? That would in essence be economic suicide; too many Nicas work in CR to bring home the bacon. CR is perfectly capable of their own drug interdiction. Maybe the focus should be on curbing the demand.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Curbing the voracious enormous demand for these drugs in the USA rarely seems to be a suggested for this problem.

Some might say that it’s the supply that creates the demand rather than the demand that creates the supply. I don’t know but it’s obviously very BIG and extremely profitable business for the people at the top…

Scott

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Of course, if there were no (or a greatly constricted) market for what are today illegal drugs, then the demand and the profitability would be reduced or eliminated.

The question, however, is: How? How do we curb that voracious demand?

Prohibition of alcohol (however well intentioned) was tried with remarkable results. So if drug prohibition (which we currently have) doesn’t work, what’s the answer to reducing the demand?

maravilla

Amierca has had a longstanding love of drugs going back to the turn of the century when morphine, cocaine, heroin, and pot were very much in demand. We are, quite frankly, a nation of drug addicts — if not legal mind-altering drugs, then illegal, and nothing much is ever going to change because it hasn’t changed in more than 100 years.

wspeed1195

[quote=”maravilla”]Amierca has had a longstanding love of drugs going back to the turn of the century when morphine, cocaine, heroin, and pot were very much in demand. We are, quite frankly, a nation of drug addicts — if not legal mind-altering drugs, then illegal, and nothing much is ever going to change because it hasn’t changed in more than 100 years.[/quote]it does change,when folks get sick and tired of being sick and tired.
    I am responsible for my life,and the quality with which I choose to live in.

maravilla

that’s you, that’s me, and a lot of people i know, but that’s not a lot of people and for more than 100 years those other people have kept up the demand for illegal drugs. other countries have their problems as well, but the US is out of control, and the War on Drugs or the Just Say No campaign have not even put a dent in it.

wspeed1195

[quote=”maravilla”]that’s you, that’s me, and a lot of people i know, but that’s not a lot of people and for more than 100 years those other people have kept up the demand for illegal drugs. other countries have their problems as well, but the US is out of control, and the War on Drugs or the Just Say No campaign have not even put a dent in it.[/quote]their are all sorts of corrupt ways to maintain an addiction.which is an obsessive compulsive behavior.without an antidote,other than to find the cause,sometimes it’s single rooted,often the case is that it’s not.
    addiction and the disease of,manifest itself in other areas,is A dysfunction that usually isn’t adressed until the train is already headed for the ravine.
    the ability to change it’s course is out of the said persons hand,the impact is not.
    theirs alot of things we become overwhelmed with.
    I am grateful today that many many others who decided to do something functional about the dilema.
    my life in one hand sucks terribly,and in the other,it’s ok.
    so,as with the old indian addage,which wolf do I feed? theirs A few positive things happening,I just have to be active in their coming to fruition.
    sometimes I am consumed with hate over certain aspects that put my life on the downward spiral.I get sorely bent about some certain things that are happening here,in the states,that have measures in place that shouldn’t allow certain things to happen,yet,measurably,this whole country is turning a blind eye and allowing our quality to be tampered with to the point that it is an economic nightmare for some,and those without rights are doing better than the american himself.
    and the exploitation is by both the wealthy,and the Govt.
    proactive,thats what I must be,

DavidCMurray
    Participant

maravilla, I think the relevant history would reveal that the American population’s intensive use of consciousness-altering substances (and that of our European forebears) goes much farther back than a hundred years.

Whether you’re talking about opiates, alcohol, or whatever, we’ve steeped ourselves in these things for centuries. I recall reading the inventory of George Washington’s estate after he died. It included a large amount of hard cider which is renowned for its intoxicating effects. And the Whiskey Rebellion wasn’t fought over cough syrup.

We Northern Hemispherians are hardly alone. Our Central and South American cousins were chewing on coca leaves and native Americans were doing mushrooms long before Europeans arrived.

How to suppress the demand? Heaven only knows . . .

ticorealtor

Don’t you guys understand how important the U.S. has been to CR?
    How many of you were here ten years ago? Do you remember when the police were riding mopeds with blue lights? I used to call them the blue light special cops.
    If it was not for the U.S. dumping money on items such as aviation, training, equipment and so on, Costa Rica would still be walking to the drug raids! Ten years ago Costa Rica was crying for the help because they don’t have the money or the training! With out the help of the U.S. you would not see cops with new uniforms walking around San Jose, you would not see them making any kind of dent in the cartels and you would see more corruption than there is today.
    Last nigh my family and I were walking around downtown San Jose and seen a huge improvement from ten years ago, with young police officer everywhere.
    I think Scott if you don’t see this you are missing a bigger picture. What would have happened if the U.S. said no to helping CR. Do you think you would be having as many expats living in CR?

sprite

[quote=”ticorealtor”]Don’t you guys understand how important the U.S. has been to CR?
    How many of you were here ten years ago? Do you remember when the police were riding mopeds with blue lights? I used to call them the blue light special cops.
    If it was not for the U.S. dumping money on items such as aviation, training, equipment and so on, Costa Rica would still be walking to the drug raids! Ten years ago Costa Rica was crying for the help because they don’t have the money or the training! With out the help of the U.S. you would not see cops with new uniforms walking around San Jose, you would not see them making any kind of dent in the cartels and you would see more corruption than there is today.
    Last nigh my family and I were walking around downtown San Jose and seen a huge improvement from ten years ago, with young police officer everywhere.
    I think Scott if you don’t see this you are missing a bigger picture. What would have happened if the U.S. said no to helping CR. Do you think you would be having as many expats living in CR?[/quote]

Americans are extraordinarily naive and simultaneously arrogant about their relative value in the world. More importantly, they are completely ignorant of the harm, of the immense damage their corporate and personal economic fanaticism and greed has caused to the environment and to other people. I am sick of hearing and watching the chest beating and saber rattling from a dysfunctional culture with a significant drug addicted population.

wspeed1195

[quote=”sprite”][quote=”ticorealtor”]Don’t you guys understand how important the U.S. has been to CR?
    I think Scott if you don’t see this you are missing a bigger picture. What would have happened if the U.S. said no to helping CR. Do you think you would be having as many expats living in CR?[/quote]

Americans are extraordinarily naive and simultaneously arrogant about their relative value in the world. More importantly, they are completely ignorant of the harm, of the immense damage their corporate and personal economic fanaticism and greed has caused to the environment and to other people. I am sick of hearing and watching the chest beating and saber rattling from a dysfunctional culture with a significant drug addicted population.[/quote]God forbid we should sink lower and have drug parks where the purchase and use of drugs is legal like they do in england and then the whole legally accepted culture of amsterdam.
    the netherlands have heroin that is available to folks.this is A sanctioned program.then they have drug replacement therapy like the states.
    at least theirs still the illegality of it here for illicit drugs.you sell heroin you go to jail,not line up at the govt. in stitution to recieve it.
    theirs a whole allowed and thriving metropolis of addicts in england.
    they call it the junkies paradise.
    theirs alot wrong with the states yep,I will agree,yet when it comes to drugs,it’s not a dilema owned solely by us.
    thats just silly to think that way.
    it’s like saying all german people are jew haters.
    or all floridians hate cubans.

maravilla

they’re still chewing coca leaves in peru — the minute you get off the place in cuzco, elevation nearly 12,000 feet, they hand you a cup of coca tea. it has some medicnal benefits as it combats altitude sickness. as for peyote, the indians also used that to conjure up visions that they then used in healing practices, so it wasn’t necessarily about getting high. i don’t know what the answer is to any of this. in countries where they have made it quasi-legal or at least de-criminalized it to keep junkies from robbing, stealing, and god only knows what else, is that any better? when i got held up in manhattan with a .45 pointed at my head, it was a junkie who needed money to buy some horse.

sprite

[quote=”maravilla”]they’re still chewing coca leaves in peru — the minute you get off the place in cuzco, elevation nearly 12,000 feet, they hand you a cup of coca tea. it has some medicnal benefits as it combats altitude sickness. as for peyote, the indians also used that to conjure up visions that they then used in healing practices, so it wasn’t necessarily about getting high. i don’t know what the answer is to any of this. in countries where they have made it quasi-legal or at least de-criminalized it to keep junkies from robbing, stealing, and god only knows what else, is that any better? when i got held up in manhattan with a .45 pointed at my head, it was a junkie who needed money to buy some horse.[/quote]

Drug addiction is an illness. Like most other unhealthy behavior such as thieving, cheating, over eating and violent abuse of others, it can be traced right back to the dysfunctional economic system under which we all live. People are simply products of their environment. A problem as basic and pervasive as drug abuse can only have one solution; the one that changes the very economic foundation upon which our species has been laboring since we stopped living in harmony with each other and the natural world and became slaves to a small powerful group.

Anything short of that is no solution at all. Drug abuse is a natural response by many to a sick society. It is also used by the elite rulers as a control tool along with religion and nationalism.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.