Venezuelan troops in Nicaragua?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Venezuelan troops in Nicaragua?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    kimball

I just got back from golf and Imx is kicking the squadouche out of you sprite. Like usual. Maybe the Honduran police could have detained the law breaker or traitor or what ever you want to call this moron, instead of using the military. Would that have been more politically correct? Maybe, maybe not. All i know is if i was a citizen there, i would not want anyone changing the term limits of the president,set by the people. Any argument in favor of it is suspicious. And by the way , I’m taking my game to the next level. 77.

Imxploring
    Participant

Thanks Kimball… I do however feel the Honduran military could have been a little kinder… when they dropped Zeleya off on the tarmac in San Jose in his jammies they could have at least given him a change of clothes, some flip-flops, Suntan lotion, and some spending cash for his surprise vacation… but I guess not shooting the guy was as benevolent as they were going to get!

Nice score by the way…. but don’t think about giving up your day job!

kimball

I gave up my day job a year ago when i sold my masonry company. My next day job starts next year i will be building my dream beach home in Esterillos. I will of course keep all of my friends from both sides of the isle posted on my progress and construction costs. I believe that i can build it for less money than even Scott, with a little advise from all of the VIP members of course.

Imxploring
    Participant

Sounds like a challenge! But I have to admit… I’m very jealous of Scott’s new home… and the time it went from an empty lot to the wonderful home he has today! His lady did a wonderful job with the decorating and the place looks like it’s been there for years! It’s really been fun watching the progress and seeing the dream become the fantastic home it is today! Perhaps you might share photos as you build your dream house?

Edited on Jul 10, 2009 15:42

edlreed

So, this dude was impeached? Is that not the legal removal of a sitting president, impeachment? One more nagging thought. Our 22nd Amendment. What is it an amendment to? Oh, our constitution. You mean you can change a constitution? Effect a change that affects term limits of a president? Who allowed that? Wow. How was that done? I’m not for tit or tat here, I’m just curious how certain political elements of our society feel compelled to follow a certain line of thought, to include personal and derogatory character assassinations. Wholesale, I might add. Shall we add up the individuals or organizations who actually do matter in this event who have been “slammed” by an obviously ideologically driven viewpoint that truly matters not a twit? Is there anyone left out? Also curious how this falls exactly in line with pap delivered by “entertainers” who have found a public willing to pay them millions to voice such views. On loan from GODDDDDDD, no less.

Imxploring
    Participant

Impeachment might be the way you deal with a sitting official that plays by the rules… but for one that attempts to use his MILITARY to get his way after being told “NO” by the other two branches of government… a stronger move is needed!

If you look at government as a three member leadership team (Executive, Legislative, and Judicial) two votes carry the argument. Here two parts did make their will known…. and the third made the choice to ignore that and attempt to use the MILITARY to get his way. Hence the action taken by the other two. Pretty simple isn’t it?

As for amending a Constitution… sure you can… you just don’t go about it without the support of the other two branches of government with 6 months left on your term, and when told “NO” by the other branches of government, try to use your military to get your way… you can be pretty sure that’s NOT the way the Constitution says it’s done! If you review the 22nd amendment to the US Constitution that you point to you’ll find it was approved by Congress in 1947 and voted on and passed in 1951. So as you can see the process involves approval of the Congress… and takes some time. But perhaps Zelaya confused the rules Hugo plays by with that of the Constitution of the country he was leading.

kimball

This might shed a little light on article 239 and 313 of the Honduran constitution.
    http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=32663

Imxploring
    Participant

Interesting… I’m told (have not confirmed this yet) Obama made a speech in Africa that in part stated “Africa doesn’t need strongmen, it needs strong institutions.”… perhaps he’s realized his error on jumping on the wrong side with the Honduran situation….

Seems the “institutions” in Honduras stayed strong and removed a strongman in the making.

orcas06

I just finished watching the Hugo Chavez (show) I mean speach on CNN en Español about his take on the situation in Honduras. To say the least it was long and rambling as he had to include everyone; Obama (el negrito), Hillary Clinton, el Gorillete, CNN, even pobre Oscar Arias and many more. Hugo really is a loose cannon and dangerous and even though I am really not in favor of “golpes de estado” there is no way the Honduran Congress and Supreme Court could allow Sr. Zelaya to remain in the country to carry out ALBA’s Petro-Terrorism as was done in Ecuador and Bolivaia. Nicaragua and the Ortega-Murillo criminals are a different story. How would he run the country with the congress and the courts against him. Why do you think that Venezuela provided the election materials for the survey to determine if a plebicite was wanted and later air transport and diplomatic consultation, friendship? It appears that the Hondureños as opposed to many others have the “huevos” to take a stand against strongarm rule.

Imxploring
    Participant

Poor Oscar… he goes from Nobel Peace prize winner to negotiating on behalf of Hugo Chavez! I guess Karma is coming back to remind him that you have to be careful about what you preach and what you do in life!

I bet he wishes the Honduran military had dropped Zelaya on someone else’s doorstep right about now!

I’m sorry to see him get stuck in the middle of this, he’s done a good job and earned a well deserved reputation… but this situation has placed him in a spot that “win or lose” he comes out soiled!

Edited on Jul 11, 2009 13:32

sprite

Presidents often use other branches of government for political ends. Didn’t the Bush administration do such a thing with judge appointees?

I am not defending anyone in that mess. I think Honduras simply reminded the world what a banana republic is. Small nations like Honduras have no business keeping armies around. The only purpose of armies in those countries is to keep the people in line with an agenda imposed from the US. I think we just saw another expample of this in Honduras.

kimball

Mike Rosen, a libertarian radio talk show host here in Denver, read a letter from a group sent to Honduras to evaluate the situation. It should be posted soon on his website, but it went something like this… A large group of Venezuelans sent by Hugo have entered the country… supposedly these are pros at starting trouble…Also there are alot of different aircraft flying around. I don’t do the letter justice at all. I will post it when available.

kimball

Smoke another one.

Alfred

Sprite, Lest we not forget Judge Sotomayor. Same old same old.

Every nation has a right to self determination. Banana Republic is a term I find elitist and offensive. Who are you, or any of us, to say a country has no right to a standing army? And since when are those armies exclusively agents for the US? Tell that to Hugo and see what he says. If the US is so big a monster, why does Costa Rica expect we will come to her aid if she is invaded? And why would they want us to if the rest of Latin America is so corrupted by our presence?

I know, many questions, few answers.

I would think most Hondurans are proud of their democratic system and would like to keep it. In any event, time will tell whether or not they can hold it together and fend off the interference of outside influences.

sprite

What does Honduras need with an army today? What is the function? Which neighbor nation threatens or has threatened Honduras in the last 50 years? Nicaragua and the US invaded twice. The Honduran army has only served to supress the people on behalf of United FRuit last century and has done little else. Costa Rica, a much richer and larger nation, has had no need for a military.

Alfred, do you really think the Honduran people, the working class people, are proud and happy to pay for a military? Do you think the military is their idea or is it perhaps a creation of another, more elite segment of the population?

As for the term “banana republic”, it is meant to be derogatory and is properly used in this situation. How a government handles such situations defines its legitimacy.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.