Unhappy Americans in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Unhappy Americans in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    GringoTico

Sprite,

Yes, Costa Rica is extremely Catholic, but very tolerant to other religions as well. The other Christian sects are growing quickly, particularly the Evangelicals and Baptists. There is also a significant Jewish community, one conservative dating back to WWII and relatively closed (they still give dowries), and another, more reformed community of newcomers.

They are also very tolerant of other races, nationalities and gays & lesbians. In general, and in spite of their relative homogeneity, they are an extremely tolerant society.

One of the most interesting religious activities is Semana Santa (Easter) when the entire country closes down for a weak, and there’s a procession to the Basilica of Cartago where a black version of the Virgin Mary was “seen”. People walk there from as far away as Nicaragua, many dressed as Romans, Jesus, or other characters from the time. The most penitent crawl up the isle when they get there.

I’m not a religious person either, but I also held my tongue. If you mock their faith, say their soccer games are a bore, or won’t dance merengue, you’re persona non grata (lol).

Seriously though, they’re also very indirect in their communication. Direct criticism of any kind is an insult, as is asking personal questions. Much of the time verbal exchanges are rote cordiality, and false compliments. All very genteel, but not at all indicative of what their thinking. That’s why many gringos come off as rude. We’re much more direct, and more open regarding personal matters. Also, our sarcasm is totally misunderstood.

When in Rome…

GringoTico

Wow Maravilla! Very impressive. Working for the MAN, eh’? (lol)

maravilla

yeah, night and day! I wasn’t planning on it, especially when I had my mind set on gardening and orchid growing as my next career, but I’m incapable of turning down work that involves my creativity. Did you see the Wing Lung Bank mural we did? It’s on the home page — 4500 sq ft of 3/4″ tiles — 998,000 to be exact. You can imagine what my house in Costa Rica is going to look like – we did Monet’s Water Lillies for the master bath, and we’re covering our massive fireplace in mosaic as well. We’re hoping to set up shop in CR and open a Latin American Division of the main company, which my husband and I will oversee.

jenny

This is just to funny, we went from the conversation of war, to leaving our country, to CAFTA, to building a bridge, to money corruption, loss of freedom, to war with Iran, to The Irish rebellion, to a topic on abortion, a ban on taxi cabs in Minnesota, to religion bashing, to this about Maravilla’s home. It has to be just to funny.

Just when I was going to add the statement that we should have women running things, Maravilla proved my point. She stopped the war, the problem is men and their desire for power. This forum topic proves it.

The things said about leaving the US, the reality is that we are all part of what we don’t like. It is sort of like a woman leaving her husband and taking her children by him with her. She may have left him but she took part of him with her. The same problems you say our country has, we have those problems, they are part of our lives. The problem is they are broken up in small pieces and we don’t identify with them. Each one of us have a small corner of responsibility for things that are happening in our country.

We have a great country, we are a great people, we are some of the best people that I know. Sure we have differences, sure we have problems, but the world looks to us for help. We put Germany back on its feet, we helped Hungary, Poland, Russia, Japan, Thailand, Philippines, Korea, France, Italy, and England and China, just to name a few.

Talk to me about what is wrong with us. We are some of the best people, women like marrying our men more then any men from other countries. We are a giving people, sure we have problems.

Where else are people climbing the walls and floating in canoes on ocean waves to reach the shore of freedom. I know people living in the US who are illegal from almost every country in the world.

If you think Costa Rica does not have major problems, you need to get you a Costa Rican friend. We are not involved because we are outsiders looking in. Things happen here but because this is not my country I am concerned but not really interested in making a change. I am living in someone else country and their problems are not my responsibility unless they effect me directly.

scottbenson

Yes, we broke the record on this page!

Like I said before the hot topics is what brings back the people to the posts jajajjajaaj.

Jenny I am glad that you have that view point

“because this is not my country I am concerned but not really interested in making a change”

I hope that more people like you will come to CR and I belive you are the kind of person that ticos would want.

This is the most concerning issue that most Ticos have. My whole family says that “if the gringos think they are coming to make us like the U.S. they are wrong”.

You can see how some of the affects of gringos are starting such as the sweep in Jaco. To most people that is a good thing, how ever this is just a small step in trying to change CR into another emulation of the morally and liberally right U.S.
    I remember a couple of years ago when my wife and I were in down town, there was a christian group that was singing in the squair from the U.S. They were singing english gosphel songs and putting on a play. Many Ticos were looking at them with amusment like the Dumb gringos don’t they know we speak spanish!

GringoTico

Welcome back Jenny, I was wondering where you went to.

I’m afraid Margaret Thatcher and Indira Ghandi proved both you and Maravilla wrong long ago. Just ask any Argentinean or Pakistani.

You’re right about fantasizing about leaving the problems in the US behind by moving the Costa Rica – in the end you just trade one set of problems for another. The grass is always greener…

As a pensionado or rentista I can understand how you feel about not interfering in the politics of your host country. For us residents by virtue of marriage (our kids are TicoGringos), I do feel like we have the right to try to better our adopted country.

I guess this means the rest of you should not opine (lol).

jenny

Thanks for missing me GringoTico, both of those ladies had male advisors. You are talking about a few years to straighten up what you guys have taken centuries to create. It is really not a male, female thing even though I believe that God made us better, we are smarter, we live longer, and we are stronger. We survive the complexities of raising children, having babies, running a household and satisfying a husband, we are responsible for heads of states, leaders of corporations, the worlds greatest are nursed and care for by us, we are an encouragement to many of the worlds most successful men, we nurture, train, teach, we conqueror kingdoms , we unseat presidents, we bring strong men to their knees, we get left alone to survive and we out live you guys. Now this does not apply to all of us but most of us (smile) touché

Scott, we were not created to rule over each other but we were created to be responsible for ourselves.

I am considered a Christian, I believe we have a God but I also believe that he designed us to rule animals, fish, birds, trees, and the such but not to rule and dictate to each other. His command is that we love each other. When you love each other you dont try to destroy or be little.

We should love each other and accept the differences and acknowledge that all of us are responsible individually.

Scott, I saw the play you are talking about and I had the same feeling, but if you are ignorant about some things then you just are ignorant. It is because of the lack of understanding about other cultures. Other countries get to know many things about us but we do not have the same opportunity to learn about them. We only seem to be interested in ourselves, we have world news and they talk about Chicago.

Some of my family at home, along with others think that Costa Rica is an extension of Mexico.

It is amazing how many people from the US ask me about how safe it is here. They came from a place where in the last few weeks there were students killed in schools. A family was found slaughtered, and they want to know if Costa Rica is safe.

The world war problems will always be, in the middle east they have been fighting since the beginning of time and they will fight until the end of time. There are some things that can not be changed. Everyone wants power. It so silly because their is a lot of Power in Love. I am not talking about flower child stuff, but real heart felt compassion for each other.

So, please dont hate me because I am a person that is considered a Christian, because I follow the teaching of Jesus. If I am wrong in my belief, love me inspite of it and if you are wrong in your unblief, I will love you ispite of your unbelief. It seems that in the last 45 years we have developed an attitude of watching to see if a person messes up. We look for signs of imperfection. This is not new because their is nothing new under the sun.

Why dont we just make it better, it is an individual thing and worlds have been changed by the actions of one individual.

This may sound crazy because Im falling asleep. Good night

maravilla

Jenny — good to see you posting again because you are always the voice of reason! You go, girl!

scottbenson

I am also a Christian as well as the majority of the Ticos. How ever the Majority of Ticos are also Roman Catholic. Many Ticos view the relation ship with many of the Baptist, LDS, Luthern and Evangelicals as a slap in the face attitude where the gringos think that ticos need to be saved.

One day when my wife and I were at the gym in Tres Rios we ran into a Gringo family. I struck up a converstation and found out they were living in CR as missionarys and had started a school. I though that is nice, then they started to ask if my wife and I would like to join them at their wensday night church service. I said thanks but no thanks we were busy. When I walked away my wife says that is common missionary and they all want to convert us ticos.

I know that Costa Rica for some churchs are the step off point to go to many other countries in Central and South America. They come to Costa Rica get educated in Spanish and then go out to the rest of the world to change them (as my wife and her friends would say). I don’t think that Ticos are ignorant and I do belive that many ticos are sick of the attitude that they need to be saved by the gringos.

This is not the only place in the world that I know where many missionary groups are ignorant, in Saudi Arabia some church organizations have sent in missionarys under cover. I belive they are not respecting the culture of that country. That is a world where it is unlawfal to talk about christianity.

I guess we can also say this is another group of people that move to CR but not the reason that is posted as the subject. I have to laugh though as a missionary from a organization you would be paid to live in CR. What a gig! I guess if many of the perpetual tourist were in a pinch they could become missionarys.

This subject is just a observation and a view point of the circle of family and friends that I have in Costa Rica how ever all of them are Ticos.

Edited on Oct 17, 2006 07:54

Here’s another quote from George Orwell:

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. “

Despite what you may read in the liberal media, we are taking the fight to the Islamonazis. By their own admission, they wish to restore their caliphate and have all of you Liberal women wearing Burkas and being subjected to ritual honor slaying for doing things like, oh I don’t know… for example… showing your face in public.

Our war on terror has been a tremendous success, MSM media polls notwithstanding. We’ve kicked the living crap out of the Taliban. We’ve decimated Al Queda, and even created dissention with the ranks of the Extremists. We’ve got Osama (who many military reports suggest is already dead) … living in a cave somewhere. We’ve got jihadists, bent on restoring the Caliphate, flocking to fight our troops in Iraq, rather than FLOCKING TO AMERICA TO KILL OUR CIVILIANS. And most importantly, we haven’t had an attack on American soil since 9-11.

As for those of you who are under the delusion that you’re more free in Costa Rica than in the U.S., you are… only to the extent that incompetence is rampant.

But if we’re going to talk about corrupt politicians, why don’t we look at the fact that this country is equivalent in size to a medium sized American city:

Yet, the past three presidents have been convicted or are under investigation for outright fraud. Racism (or nationalism) is way, way higher here than in the States. I see flag waving here like I’ve never seen in the States, even on the 4th of July. And ask a Tico what they think of the Nicas, and you’ll find unapologetic racism (or nationalism) far worse than ANYTHING you’d ever hear from your average American.

The god-given right of a woman to defend herself using the superior technology against rape (that is, with a gun!) are being rapidly evaporated. As Oscar says, “Let’s ban rifles because they are military weapons.” Hello– what weapons AREN’T military weapons???

And her personal rights to have an abortion… forget about it? Where do they go when they the want an abortion? That’s right, baby… to Miami. The good ‘ol U.S.A.

Say what you will about our health care system in the States, but I can guarantee you that an illegal immigrant in the States will get better medical attention than an illegal here in CR. And in many cases, better than a Tico. Yeah, the medical services are great… if you can wait months to get an operation. Wonderful if you’ve got six months before you permanently lose your eye site, and the appointment for your surgery is 2 years away.

Walk into a bookstore in Moravia and you’ll find “The Protocals of the Elders of Zion” — a falsified text ripe with blatant anti-semitism used by Hitler, Stalin and every other Jew hater to propagate the lie that Jews use the blood of gentile babies to make their Matzah.

Now, before you think I’m bashing Costa Rica… let me say that I have my own reasons for liking it here, and the politics of this little country is not really important to me. But it irks me when Gringos (and yes, it’s only gringos– as none of the Ticos I’ve met in my two years here ever seem to be bothered by U.S. politics) … suggest that the U.S. is such an evil country, but turn a blind eye to far worse occurances here.

Pura vida.

*Lotus

‘A farmer lived in the days when fighting was going on between small kingdoms in China. This farmer had a son. His son, with the aid of the horse, was tilling a small field. One day the horse ran away. The neighbors came and said, ‘It’s a very bad thing. You have such bad luck.’ The farmer said, ‘Maybe.’ So the next day the horse came back with half a dozen other wild horses. The neighbors came again and they said, ‘What tremendous luck.’ So he said, ‘Maybe.’ On the third day the son, while trying to ride one of the wild horses, fell and broke his leg. Again, the neighbors came and said what bad luck it was, and the farmer said, ‘Maybe.’ The next day the king’s people came to recruit strong healthy farmers into the army. When they found this farmer’s son with a broken leg they left him alone. So, again, the neighbors came and said it wasn’t such bad luck after all and that everything had turned out well. The farmer said, again, ‘Maybe.’

jreilly

I think that Americans are like any other people all over the world.
    There are good ones and bad ones. Oh yes, we are spoiled by the modern world and all of it’s conveniences while most of the Ticos are just now starting to enjoy some of these modern amenities.
    The big difference between our countries is the level of greed that the US administration exemplifies.
    Who would ever think that the current administration would blow up the World Trade Centers and kill 3000 innocent people in order to start the Oil wars…….Yes, but of course they did…..
    Until people come to grips with that level of greed and begin punishing the mass murderers and war criminals who run our country then nothing will change and the many innocent Muslims of the world will continue to suffer.
    If you have the courage to go to loosechange911.com and watch the DVD showing how this was done then you will see the “real” story of what happened on 9/11/2001.
    The biggest cover up in the history of the world will some day be known by all, but until that happens we will continue to wax prophetic based on the lies of the current administration.
    I love Costa Rica and our property that we own here in the hills outside of San Isidro de el General, not just because of our wonderful neighbors and beautiful vistas but because of the spirit of hope for the future that pervades this land.
    I pray that the level of greed that ruins everything stays far away
    from these borders because I will do whatever I can to prolong the “hope” that Costa Rica gives to all.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thank you lotus – I LOVE this ….

Scott Oliver

jenny

Thanks Maravilla, it is nice to be back. I was blessed to be very busy with our business and now things have slowed some.

Scott, it is unfortunate that people lump every one into the same category. Many people say they are Christian, today it has political advantage. It helps you to fit into a popular group of people. It is something that opens a conversation, it helps you to chose a side. It is not because of their life but it is supposedly a label of respect, when a lot of us are not displaying a life of respect.

So, please forgive and maintain a compassionate heart it is healthier for us. Most of us make mistakes just because we are ignorant, not about everything, but about some things.

Over 3,000 young men and women have died on the battle field and many more have died in hospitals or on the way home from this war. We are upset about it and we feel helpless it is as if our voice is not being heard, but lets keep talking and bring our troops home.

Someone has succeeded in confusing the issues, it is not conservative or liberal, it is not Gay or Lesbian, it is not white or black, it is not illegal residents. The issue are that we have some of the best health care, but most of our citizens can not afford it, the issue is that our education system sucks, the issue is that we still have old people that can not afford the house they are living in because of higher taxes, the issue is gas companies gauging us, the issue isour children, they are angry and why . The issue is we need to pay people an income they can support their family with. We need to give people an incentive to work, we need to develop path ways of success for our poor areas. We need to find a way to live democratically, we need to stop all the outrageous spending of our tax money. We need a solution to problems. We need to stop focusing on things that mean absolutely nothing.

Ripple33

Thank You JReily. Glad to see there are some people who can think for themselves and see past the brainwashing media and propaganda thrown at us in the States. Before any of you write it off as just another loco conspiracy theory, I urge you to look at the facts for yourself and make a educated decision for yourself. 911 was a controlled demolition without any doubt. There is no other explaination for thermite found, building 7 falling, steel beams being cut like a knife(jet fuel does not burn at nearly high enough temp to cause this to happen).Never in the history of man has a steel structured building collapsed due to fire. This is just simple science people. For those that think that the US govt would never think of doing such a thing to justify war try doing a google search for operation northwoods. This is declassified information folks directly from the CIA. The information is there it is a matter of people waking up and not just living their lives day to day watching fox news and the general propaganda in the US. The US is in a very dangerous situation. Our constitutional rights are being thown out, our govt is passing laws to allow torture, we are putting people in prison without being charged, no access to lawyers ect.

Anyone who thinks that by going to war in Afghanistan or Iraq has made us safer in the US is obviously not paying attention. After the US took control of Afghanistan their opium production went through the roof, After the US invaded Iraq a country that did not have a problem with terrorists suddenly was full of them. Also dont forget who put Saddam in power. Dont forget whose company provided nuclear tech to the North Koreans (Does Georgies father ring a bell, and our good ol VP).

Talk about a facist government. What do you think runs our government in the US? If you said big money you hit the nail on the head. The government is not of and for the people it is for the corporations.For those who mentioned that Costa Rica govt is corrupt. I totally agree. However notice their former presidents were charged. Our criminal president and staff continue to operate with total disreguard to the constitution and international law. This is not a Republican or Democrat issue. This is a global issue. The Dems are guilty too of letting this happen.

I just hope this madness stops before it is too late. People need to educate themselves and wake up to what is going on. Many scholars, politicians, and others have spoken out about 911 and the false information fed to us by our government. The truth will come out but hopefully before it is too late. Prisonplanet, Infowars, and scholars for 911 truth are great sources of information. There are so many more that are trying to enlighten people and help stop this before more people die for corporate greed.

Dreaming of a peaceful planet..

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.