Unhappy Americans in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Unhappy Americans in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    sprite

Christains and muslims alike are delsuional and laboring under a false view of reality. Both are dangerous.

GringoTico

“holding sperm donors accountable for the children they produce” is definitely a feminist idea. Don’t get defensive on me, it’s not like I called you a liberal or anything (lol). I never said it wasn’t the right thing to do, I merely pointed out that keeping people from traveling abroad because they have bad credit would be political suicide as compared to withholding passports of people who aren’t paying child support. (How dare you compare me with Diego. Such a insult is a right winger’s approach to a civil exchange of ideas, and is beneath you. Now say you’re sorry and we can play nice again…)

Seriously Maravilla, if you go back to that thread you’ll see that I said most Ticos believe that feminism is anti-family. I didn’t say I thought it was. Like everything else in life, it has its good points and bad points. I believe in equality and I grew up in a feminist household, but as much as I hate to admit it I think the feminist movement does have something to do with the deterioration of the family unit in the U.S.

I believe, as I’m sure you do too, that the health of the family unit in Costa Rica is one of the many wonderful things about the country. While in some ways women are still treated more as second class citizens there as compared to the US, they have made many significant gains without the loud public protests, bra burnings and man-hater conventions, nor without depreciating the importance of family.

Getting back to the original point, I don’t think it will happen. The political stink it would create would squash the idea. Look what’s happening to Bush and the right wing of the Republican party – their right of mainstream actions are already (finally) putting the kibosh on the movement. The challenge for the Democrats is fielding a more credible and centrist candidate. Sounds easy, but they’ll probably screw that up as well.

Edited on Oct 15, 2006 05:54

Ripple33

I have found that there is definitely more people in CR and that have moved to other countries that are not blinded by the controlled media in the States. One of the comments below mentioned that people who travel think globally. That is what I have found to be very true. People see the larger picture. There are many of us in the States that are not happy with what is happening but are unable to do much about it. Protesters get arrested ect. It is really frightening what is happening in the States. I think alot of people who move to CR and other places are looking for a better life and more freedom. The US has made it very hard for people to retire with high medical cost, insurance costs ect. Also many people are seeing the road that the US is going down and dont like it. Constitutional freedoms are being sacrificed. We are going to war with anyone and everyone we dont agree with. Our soldiers are giving their lives and many other innocent lives are being taken. Over 650000 Iraqi people have died for us to try and “liberate them”(current excuse?) not to mention over 3000 american soldiers. Alot of us are a bit p***** off about this. So if you are sensing anti american sentiment I would not consider it against the american people . It most likely is against what our government is doing.I have noticed that Ticos are very receptive when you do discuss with them that you disagree with what is going on. Just my two cents for all its worth.

Pura Vida

maravilla

I couldn’t agree with you more, especially since both groups think the other group should be decimated in the name of their religion.

aguirrewar

Bradbarb:

You started a firestorm. But the issue is not only of nortamerican’s unhappy with their gov. Look at England, T. Blair is OUT. Mexico, did they steal the elections?

Immigration? We leave for other countries (US citizen’s) because we can economically. If I was working for Walmart, would I have the $$ to leave, Detroit, Miami, New York and go to CR?

TLC. Nobody can stop this. Mexico signed and now they have a BIG problem. It takes 6 farmers in Mexico 40 hours each to raise a crop of corn in 1 acre. It Takes a farmer in the US with the aid of technology (GPS, Weather Info, etc) in his tractor 10 hours to do the same. So we displaced 6 mexican farmers. Where do you think 4 of those will travel to make a better living.

Displacement of people goes both ways, you move up. Mexicans to make more $ in the USA, Nicas to make more in CR. Expats to live better in Mexico where there are more than 750,000 and CR where it is approx. 100,000. It is a matter of economy.

Are we really unhappy here in the US? Yes and No it depends who you ask. But why is it that some of the best of us are leaving the US.

Edited on Oct 15, 2006 09:03

GringoTico

Isn’t it part of the intrinsic nature on any religion to convince their flock that their’s is the one and only true religion?

maravilla

And that’s what so dangerous about the whole situation with Christians and Muslims, or any sect trying to convince another that theirs is the one true thing, all of which I find incredibly stupid and hard to believe in the first place. We are engaging in a crusade-like war here, but the difference is that the Muslims are happy to die for Allah, after all they get those 72 houris or vestal virgins or whatever lure they believe in, when they die in the name of their religion. Who can compete with THAT??? Does anyone know what female suicide bombers get when they blow themselves up? (this is not a joke, I’m wondering if there is a 72-virgin equivalent for women!?)

cliff mcleod

I have a difficult time with the part of “United” Bush doesn’t get.The moron spends all his stump time trying to split the people,divide and conquer appears to be the Bush/Rove plan.The only plan they have come up with,certainly there was no plan for Iraq or the deficit,etc. and for us veterans the VA is underfunded and in need for those falling on the battlefield now.
    You can bet I’m looking forward to my new home in CR. I’ve had it with the criminals running this good ‘ol USA!

Cliff

Andrew
    Keymaster

I read a book again recently that I had not read for about 30 years and in reading it again today, some of the quotes are more terrifying than ever:

“In other words it is necessary he should have the mentality appropriate to a state of war. It does not matter whether the war is actually happening, and, since no decisive victory is possible, it does not matter whether the war is going well or badly. All that is needed is that a state of war should exist.”

“In our society, those who have the best knowledge of what is happening are also those who are furthest from seeing the world as it is. In general, the greater the understanding, the greater the delusion; the more intelligent, the less sane. One clear illustration of this is the fact that war hysteria increases in intensity as one rises in the social scale.”

The book was written by a man called Eric Arthur Blair born in 1903, who wrote a book called 1984 under the name of George Orwell.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

*Lotus

I will have to dust that off and read it again, what I also remember about it, it was a great love story.

maravilla

I re-read 1984 just a few months before I decided it was time to get the hell out of this insane asylum without walls. Everything he wrote was just too close to home and too timely. And when you’ve finished Orwell’s tome, re-read Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World, but even more frightening than that is his redux Brave New World Revisited. If you haven’t already left, you will be packing your bags and trying to get residency. jejeje

sprite

I don’t know what is promised to the female suicide bombers, but the christians also have their mythology and I have seen a vivd example here in Costa Rica. One afternoon on the way back from Arenal to San Ramon, we drove by a pretty young lady walking along the road dressed as a an Israeli might have dressed 2000 years ago. My wife, a catholic Puerto Rican, informed me that the young lady was dressed that way because of a promise she made to god. She was doing some sort of pennance and the custom demands that she dress like the virgin mary or some other character from the bible.
    It was just another reminder that our beloved Costa Rica is a very Catholic country. Catholics have never been known for their tolerance of non catholics. So far, I haven’t seen any religious intolerance in Costa Rica because, I think, this is a very homogeneous society. There is no large manifestation of other religions to which intolerance might be shown. As an american, I am used to expressing my opposition to all
    organized religion. I haved been holding my tongue here, though. It just seems impolite not to do so.

*Lotus

Maravilla- Missed your show tonight, will it be repeated any time soon?

maravilla

I was disappointed that they didn’t have a tight close-up of my work, but they did post photos of the fireplace on the ABC.com ExtremeMakeover-Home Edition webpage. The fireplace is #53 in their photo album for this week’s show about the Bliven family. Don’t think there will be a repeat as the season just started, but the HUGE mural I did for a bathroom will be shown on the November 5th show, but I’ll miss that because I’ll be in Costa Rica. You could probably see a picture of the fireplace on the http://www.becomingtile.com website. It should’ve been posted by now. Sheesh. And I thought I was going to get another 15 seconds of fame!

maravilla

The fireplace mural hasn’t been posted yet, but you can see what we did for Wells Fargo – http://www.becomingtile.com/WellsFargo — I fabricated this and we did another just this week, which my husband installed at the site in California. We have 35 more to do, some as large as 600 sq ft. And I thought I was moving to Costa Rica to retire. HA!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.