U.S. Citizens Owning Gold As An Asset/Hedge Just Got Harder

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum U.S. Citizens Owning Gold As An Asset/Hedge Just Got Harder

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    johnnyh

[quote=”sprite”][quote=”DavidCMurray”]Yes, I readily agree that the middle class has taken enormous hits in the past forty years or so. I also acknowledge that the very existence of the middle class was made possible in significant measure, although not entirely, by a manufacturing economy.

None of that, however, supports your assertion:

[quote=”sprite”]The US stopped making things decades ago when the globalists in the government shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas. [/quote]

The manufacturing sector in the U.S., while perhaps not what it once was, has hardly gone dormant. Reports of its final demise (by you, sprite) are greatly and inaccurately exaggerated.[/quote]

David,
    Statistics say I am correct as to diminished US manufacturing capacities relative to other countries.

Table 2. – Manufacturing Trade Deficit Growth,
    By Industry, 1989-2007

Change
    Item (US$ bil.)
    Total -699.1
    Oil & Gas -237.3
    Computer & Electronic Products -109.1
    Apparel -52.6
    Electrical Equipment -27.4
    Chemicals -18.9
    Source: US International Trade Administration

The above graph shows that we buy more than we make for the industries listed. Much of it comes from China. If you think it is an exaggeration for me to say the U.S. is in deep doo doo for loss of manufacturing capacity, then tell me what you think would (will) happen when the the Chinese decide to dump the 1.2 trillion dollars they now own because of this trade deficit on to the world market?

I am not sure you are able to think that far ahead. But don’t feel badly. It appears that nobody in our government can either.

The Chinese are not dumping anything Sprite. They are not dumb, but they are concerned about uncle Benny and the Fed printing way too much Dollars. They are investing those depreciating Dollars all over the world, and they are buying gold like it’s going crazy.
    They have a great concept Sprite: Invest in natural resources, raise the economic standards of their citizens, and at the same time look like good guys in the eyes of the “Democratic” world. We American’s on the other hand bring “Democracy” and destruction to anyone that doesn’t toe America’s hegemony. Guess who’s winning so far?:shock:

jmcbuilder
    Participant

[quote=”johnnyh”][quote=”sprite”][quote=”DavidCMurray”]Yes, I readily agree that the middle class has taken enormous hits in the past forty years or so. I also acknowledge that the very existence of the middle class was made possible in significant measure, although not entirely, by a manufacturing economy.

None of that, however, supports your assertion:

[quote=”sprite”]The US stopped making things decades ago when the globalists in the government shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas. [/quot

The manufacturing sector in the U.S., while perhaps not what it once was, has hardly gone dormant. Reports of its final demise (by you, sprite) are greatly and inaccurately exaggerated.[/quote]

David,
    Statistics say I am correct as to diminished US manufacturing capacities relative to other countries.

Table 2. – Manufacturing Trade Deficit Growth,
    By Industry, 1989-2007

Change
    Item (US$ bil.)
    Total -699.1
    Oil & Gas -237.3
    Computer & Electronic Products -109.1
    Apparel -52.6
    Electrical Equipment -27.4
    Chemicals -18.9
    Source: US International Trade Administration

The above graph shows that we buy more than we make for the industries listed. Much of it comes from China. If you think it is an exaggeration for me to say the U.S. is in deep doo doo for loss of manufacturing capacity, then tell me what you think would (will) happen when the the Chinese decide to dump the 1.2 trillion dollars they now own because of this trade deficit on to the world market?

I am not sure you are able to think that far ahead. But don’t feel badly. It appears that nobody in our government can either.

The Chinese are not dumping anything Sprite. They are not dumb, but they are concerned about uncle Benny and the Fed printing way too much Dollars. They are investing those depreciating Dollars all over the world, and they are buying gold like it’s going crazy.
    They have a great concept Sprite: Invest in natural resources, raise the economic standards of their citizens, and at the same time look like good guys in the eyes of the “Democratic” world. We American’s on the other hand bring “Democracy” and destruction to anyone that doesn’t toe America’s hegemony. Guess who’s winning so far?:shock:[/quote]

Can you imagine how fast the US would rebound if the bastards in Washington would allow it. I cannot think of a more vile group than the ones running the US today. Sure I’m pissed. It would not take more than a blink of an eye to put the US back on track if the government would get out of the way. Where did these know it all’s come from anyway.

sprite

Regardless of differing explanations we have for the current mess, many of us agree it is a big mess and many of us are angry and disgusted with what has happened and with what is happening.

What concerns me is the number of people who have no clue as to the seriousness of our situation.

Based on my conversations, it is my impression that too many do not understand that we lost our republic some time ago.

These people will do nothing to bring it back. The system will come down whether of its own weight or because the elites make it happen so that they can set up a new order (Ordo ab chaos)

After that happens, the same bad guys will return to power and all of us will suffer the consequences of the apathy and ignorance of those who ignored reality.

“You can ignore reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of ignoring reality” Ann Rand.

jmcbuilder
    Participant

[quote=”sprite”]Regardless of differing explanations we have for the current mess, many of us agree it is a big mess and many of us are angry and disgusted with what has happened and with what is happening.

What concerns me is the number of people who have no clue as to the seriousness of our situation.

Based on my conversations, it is my impression that too many do not understand that we lost our republic some time ago.

These people will do nothing to bring it back. The system will come down whether of its own weight or because the elites make it happen so that they can set up a new order (Ordo ab chaos)

After that happens, the same bad guys will return to power and all of us will suffer the consequences of the apathy and ignorance of those who ignored reality.

“You can ignore reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of ignoring reality” Ann Rand.

[/quote]
    Unfortunately, so many will suffer because of the ignorance of their neighbors. Wise words Sprite, perhaps a few will understand.

VictoriaLST

Its not so much manufacturing that worries me, its the basics for manufacturing. During WWII, the record for building a transport ship was three (3!) days. Today we import steel. If you have to import steel, how do you build a ship in three days? How do you build anything without producing the basics?

Kwhite1

[quote=”sprite”]Regardless of differing explanations we have for the current mess, many of us agree it is a big mess and many of us are angry and disgusted with what has happened and with what is happening.

[/quote]

Sprite,

Very true words there my friend. The main issue is that while people are busy watching Idol and the final 4 and (insert your show here), the MSM is touting a .0001 increase in anything as an economic comeback. The sheeple watch 29 seconds of the so called “news” and feel they are informed.

There are so many things wrong with the US now, on so many levels. Keep your eye on why Homeland Security has purchased 2 billion rounds of hollow point ammo (against Nato and Geneva for use in war), 2700 urban assault vehicles that have been distributed to major points through out the country. 7000 “assault rifles”, the very ones the gubment is trying to ban, 30,000 bullet proof vest? My theory is that they (Washington), knows what is coming, the devalue of the dollar will result in the EBT cards being over drawn, which will create riots in the cities. All of these “purchases” are for the riots that are looming, which the government will blame the working class and wealthy for not paying thier fair share, turning these dependants against anyone having a job. Marshall Law is declared, and finally America is turned into the vision the extreme left has wanted for a very long time.

Sadly, we will all be a witness to the decline of the USA. There will be no good times ahead.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

If you look back through recent history, you’ll learn that the sociologists (Robert Merton in particular) have pretty well nailed it. Civil unrest occurs primarily when the population is generally optimistic about the likelihood of change in their interest. That explains well the civil unrest that characterized the 1960s and 1970s the calm that characterized the decade of the Great Depression. For as long as the populace is pessimistic about the chances for change, they tend not to raise a fuss. What would be the point?

Without disputing the figures about the military hardware that the U.S. has purchased, it’s important to note that those expenditures have been mostly done in the guise of homeland security. The recipients have been state and local governments. When, for example, you divide 30,000 bulletproof vests among all the state and local police forces in the fifty states, you don’t end up with much of a concentration. The same is true for 7,000 assault rifles, etc.

In 2009, there were some 14,000 law enforcement agencies int the U.S. which employed some 708,000 officers. If you do the math, you’ll soon see that the country isn’t very well prepared for anything much less some tidal wave of civil unrest.

Kwhite1

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]If you look back through recent history, you’ll learn that the sociologists (Robert Merton in particular) have pretty well nailed it. Civil unrest occurs primarily when the population is generally optimistic about the likelihood of change in their interest. That explains well the civil unrest that characterized the 1960s and 1970s the calm that characterized the decade of the Great Depression. For as long as the populace is pessimistic about the chances for change, they tend not to raise a fuss. What would be the point?

Without disputing the figures about the military hardware that the U.S. has purchased, it’s important to note that those expenditures have been mostly done in the guise of homeland security. The recipients have been state and local governments. When, for example, you divide 30,000 bulletproof vests among all the state and local police forces in the fifty states, you don’t end up with much of a concentration. The same is true for 7,000 assault rifles, etc.

In 2009, there were some 14,000 law enforcement agencies int the U.S. which employed some 708,000 officers. If you do the math, you’ll soon see that the country isn’t very well prepared for anything much less some tidal wave of civil unrest.

[/quote]

David, that’s all well and good, but what happens when the givers have nothing more to give or simply refuse to give anymore? The takers outnumber the givers at this point, when the givers don’t have more to give then everyone loses. Instead of being self sufficient and responsible for one’s actions, the takers are demanding more and the government is more than happy to demand the givers that they pay more of thier fair share.

If our USD is so great then why has China and Australia trading outside of the USD now? http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-31/thanks-world-reserve-currency-no-thanks-australia-and-china-enable-direct-currency-c

This is very bad news for the USD, the Fed keeps printing and deluting the USD while other countries are running frmo the USD. So much for a soft controlled landing, when it crashes there will be mass histeria, hence the ammo purchase.

davidd

Kwhite

don’t you know???

everything is going good according to David.

so don’t worry..:?:?:?:?:?:?:?

these 2700 military vehicles for homeland security is business as usual

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/03/obama-dhs-purchases-2700-light-armored-tanks-to-go-with-their-1-6-billion-bullet-stockpile/

http://youtu.be/HkSkQgnEV-Q

[quote=”kwhite1″][quote=”DavidCMurray”]If you look back through recent history, you’ll learn that the sociologists (Robert Merton in particular) have pretty well nailed it. Civil unrest occurs primarily when the population is generally optimistic about the likelihood of change in their interest. That explains well the civil unrest that characterized the 1960s and 1970s the calm that characterized the decade of the Great Depression. For as long as the populace is pessimistic about the chances for change, they tend not to raise a fuss. What would be the point?

[/quote]

David, that’s all well and good, but what happens when the givers have nothing more to give or simply refuse to give anymore? The takers outnumber the givers at this point, when the givers don’t have more to give then everyone loses. Instead of being self sufficient and responsible for one’s actions, the takers are demanding more and the government is more than happy to demand the givers that they pay more of thier fair share.

If our USD is so great then why has China and Australia trading outside of the USD now? http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-31/thanks-world-reserve-currency-no-thanks-australia-and-china-enable-direct-currency-c

This is very bad news for the USD, the Fed keeps printing and deluting the USD while other countries are running frmo the USD. So much for a soft controlled landing, when it crashes there will be mass histeria, hence the ammo purchase.[/quote]

Kwhite1

[quote=”davidd”]Kwhite

don’t you know???

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/03/obama-dhs-purchases-2700-light-armored-tanks-to-go-with-their-1-6-billion-bullet-stockpile/

[quote=”kwhite1″][quote=”DavidCMurray”]If you look back through recent history, you’ll learn that the sociologists (Robert Merton in particular) have pretty well nailed it. Civil unrest occurs primarily when the population is generally optimistic about the likelihood of change in their interest. That explains well the civil unrest that characterized the 1960s and 1970s the calm that characterized the decade of the Great Depression. For as long as the populace is pessimistic about the chances for change, they tend not to raise a fuss. What would be the point?

[/quote]

That’s the issue, if the government tells you not to worry everything is fine, the sheeple listen and move right along. It will be interesting when they wake up in the very near future and all of the dollar bills they thought they had are worth 1/2 of the face value. But no worries right? They can just get in line with the rest for the EBT cards, watch what happens when those don’t work anymore…want a preview? When the EBT cards did not work in Atlanta a few months back, there were near riots at the gubment office. AND that was only a 24 hour delay.

It will be right along lines with the roving gangs in Chicago right now, just beating up everyone in the way. This will be coming to a city near you soon, don’t miss the action!

I like David, but the problem is people like him become very narrow minded and refuse to look at the real time things happening and refuse to look at a different point of view.

A quote ” Question with boldness”, does not mean to be nasty about it, but it is okay to question motives and further explanations. As I understand it, the government works for us, I think far too many people have forgotten that, including the government. I will just sit here and wait for the gubment to come knock on my door, I’m sure I am on a list somewhere, strickly because I own guns (a lot) and go to church. They no likey my kind.

jmcbuilder
    Participant

[quote=”kwhite1″][quote=”davidd”]Kwhite

don’t you know???

[/quote]

That’s the issue, if the government tells you not to worry everything is fine, the sheeple listen and move right along. It will be interesting when they wake up in the very near future and all of the dollar bills they thought they had are worth 1/2 of the face value. But no worries right? They can just get in line with the rest for the EBT cards, watch what happens when those don’t work anymore…want a preview? When the EBT cards did not work in Atlanta a few months back, there were near riots at the gubment office. AND that was only a 24 hour delay.

It will be right along lines with the roving gangs in Chicago right now, just beating up everyone in the way. This will be coming to a city near you soon, don’t miss the action!

I like David, but the problem is people like him become very narrow minded and refuse to look at the real time things happening and refuse to look at a different point of view.

A quote ” Question with boldness”, does not mean to be nasty about it, but it is okay to question motives and further explanations. As I understand it, the government works for us, I think far too many people have forgotten that, including the government. I will just sit here and wait for the gubment to come knock on my door, I’m sure I am on a list somewhere, strickly because I own guns (a lot) and go to church. They no likey my kind.[/quote

On occasion I enjoy shooting and hunting. There is something about the science of ballistics that I find challenging. Taking a rifle system and making it perform to its best and trying to keep my natural sloppy thinking out of the way brings me enjoyment. Our weather is improving so I went to buy some reloading supplies. Shocking, the shelves were empty and I mean nothing on them!!!

Kwhite1

On occasion I enjoy shooting and hunting. There is something about the science of ballistics that I find challenging. Taking a rifle system and making it perform to its best and trying to keep my natural sloppy thinking out of the way brings me enjoyment. Our weather is improving so I went to buy some reloading supplies. Shocking, the shelves were empty and I mean nothing on them!!![/quote]

I hear ya!! It has been a quest of mine over the past 2 years on buying ammo. I would buy the common sizes, 9, 7.62, 30-30, .223, .308 and 12 gauge (all my favorites), and have quite a little stockpile, some would think I was the village nut job, I called it being prepared. All my buddies are singing a different tune nowadays. They tell me now they wished they had listed to me when I was telling them to buy when I was. Now I have 10’s of 1,000’s of $’s sitting waiting for buyers to come. Way better investment than any stocks I have ever owned. 100% return, even better than my silver investments.

Anyway, I used to go to the range every weekend, not anymore, I have trouble shooting all my toys at $1 a round, can’t justify it, especially when it is so hard to get now.

It will not ease up anytime soon, expect an ammo shortage for the next 4-5 years atleast. Ammo shortage = gun control without the removal of actual guns. More than one way to skin a cat huh?

jmcbuilder
    Participant

[quote=”kwhite1″]

On occasion I enjoy shooting and hunting. There is something about the science of ballistics that I find challenging. Taking a rifle system and making it perform to its best and trying to keep my natural sloppy thinking out of the way brings me enjoyment. Our weather is improving so I went to buy some reloading supplies. Shocking, the shelves were empty and I mean nothing on them!!![/quote]

I hear ya!! It has been a quest of mine over the past 2 years on buying ammo. I would buy the common sizes, 9, 7.62, 30-30, .223, .308 and 12 gauge (all my favorites), and have quite a little stockpile, some would think I was the village nut job, I called it being prepared. All my buddies are singing a different tune nowadays. They tell me now they wished they had listed to me when I was telling them to buy when I was. Now I have 10’s of 1,000’s of $’s sitting waiting for buyers to come. Way better investment than any stocks I have ever owned. 100% return, even better than my silver investments.

Anyway, I used to go to the range every weekend, not anymore, I have trouble shooting all my toys at $1 a round, can’t justify it, especially when it is so hard to get now.

It will not ease up anytime soon, expect an ammo shortage for the next 4-5 years atleast. Ammo shortage = gun control without the removal of actual guns. More than one way to skin a cat huh?[/quote]

A couple of cargo containers of ammo purchased a year ago would sure turn a big profit today. I’m still ok with several hundred rounds but I wish I had more. A little shortsighted in my ammo purchase. I guess I’ll have to find a different hobby.

kschnelle

David, Suggest you look at this gold blog link:

http://blog.europacmetals.com/2013/03/remarkable-new-chocolate-bar-gold-product-video/

and this link:

http://www.hardassetsalliance.com/

Cheers!
    Keith Schnelle

johnnyh

[quote=”kschnelle”]David, Suggest you look at this gold blog link:

http://blog.europacmetals.com/2013/03/remarkable-new-chocolate-bar-gold-product-video/

and this link:

http://www.hardassetsalliance.com/

Cheers!
    Keith Schnelle[/quote]

Thanks for posting KS! As the video shows, you can put 3 or 4 of these bars in your wallet, 10 or 20 in your carry on. You can even dip them in chocolate and put them in your shirt pocket.The possibilities are endless. And that’s how you can buy a house in Costa Rica someday. Get the picture? I sure did!
    Peter Schiff is a good guy. He predicted a lot of the calamities in the economy way back, and he was laughed off. Well, he’s laughing now at all the “experts” and he is predicting more bad news for the worldwide economies.

Sticking to the subject, has anyone noticed gold and silver going down? When it goes down, one buys!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.