U.S. Citizens Owning Gold As An Asset/Hedge Just Got Harder

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum U.S. Citizens Owning Gold As An Asset/Hedge Just Got Harder

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    sprite

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”sprite”]The US stopped making things decades ago when the globalists in the government shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas. [/quote]

Ah, but for a look at actual facts, see the following article from Industry Week, a source that actually knows what it’s talking about . . .

http://www.industryweek.com/resources/us500/2012
    [/quote]

What do those facts mean, David? Those corporations on the list have their goods made overseas and then imported. Revenue is NOT a measure of manufacture in the U.S. It is a measure of return on investment for these multinational corporations…more banking and corporate media hocus pocus….
    The conclusion you draw from the facts you present is an example of just how diminished your critical thinking has become from exposure to corporate brainwashing over the decades. I am sorry to point this out but you can’t begin to correct this problem until you are aware of it.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

And you know better . . . how?

Tell us about your last on site inspection at a U.S. auto manufacturing plant, any one of them — GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW, Mazda. Or how about Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, Grumman, et al? Or Raytheon, Texas Instruments, (the list goes on).

Tell us how you know that not one of those and hundreds more haven’t produced one thing in decades. Just don’t drive your Chevy Volt there.

And if you haven’t actually seen these and others not manufacturing anything for decades, just how do you know? Or are you making this up?

johnnyh

Corporate profits are up, specially for oil companies and food & packaging and content for the consumer is shrinking, at the same price or higher. 48 to 50 million Americans on food stamps. Fed injection of $85 billion to banks inflating the real state market. Do I hear a future pop?
    Bring those suckers in and then….
    No decent interest rates to us peasants…why that alone is one of the biggest red flags I can think of. It’s an economy running on pure fiat ink worth more than the pictures of past presidents. And the economy is turning around?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

sprite, the next time I’m in the U.S., I’ll invite you up to Lansing, Michigan where GM hasn’t manufactured a vehicle in decades and you can explain to me where all those Buicks and Chevrolets awaiting distribution to dealers came from. They’re sitting on various storage lots nearby the exits of the plants where GM doesn’t manufacture them.

Then we can take a plant tour and watch American workers not making those cars.

sprite

David,

The stats are easily found which show just how decimated our manufacturing sector is after 30 years of government activity aimed at doing just that. Showing me a parking lot full of new American cars doesn’t diminish the truth that the U.S. has lost too much of its manufacture base. Few would argue otherwise.

Besides the abundant statistical evidence to support my point, I have my own anecdotal evidence. I had a career as a federally licensed Customs broker. I saw on a daily basis over the last 30 years how the U.S. increased its imports and decreased its exports. The trade imbalance has only grown over the years and that alone should be proof enough for a rational person to conclude that a fundamental economic change took place, the results of which we are now experiencing.

We are in the final years and perhaps final months of this once powerful empire. The last days are going to be horrific.

jmcbuilder
    Participant

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”sprite”]The US stopped making things decades ago when the globalists in the government shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas. [/quote]

Ah, but for a look at actual facts, see the following article from Industry Week, a source that actually knows what it’s talking about . . .

http://www.industryweek.com/resources/us500/2012
    [/quote]

David, those are international corps that sell world wide. GM only does about 25% of its business in the US and yet the US taxpayer bailed them out. I think the US at one time may have manufactured somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% of all manufacture in the world. I’m sure it has dropped some.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

sprite, it was you who said . . .

[quote=”sprite”]The US stopped making things decades ago . . .[/quote]

The facts are otherwise.

I’ve provided references to hard data and I’ve offered to show you the concrete outputs. Draw whatever conclusions comport with your delusions.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”jmcbuilder”]
    David, those are international corps that sell world wide. [/quote]

You’re absolutely correct. They both sell and manufacture outside the U.S., but that doesn’t alter the fact that they do, in fact, also manufacture in the U.S. which sprite says hasn’t been true for decades.

She says that, but she’s simply wrong.

jmcbuilder
    Participant

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”jmcbuilder”]
    David, those are international corps that sell world wide. [/quote]

You’re absolutely correct. They both sell and manufacture outside the U.S., but that doesn’t alter the fact that they do, in fact, also manufacture in the U.S. which sprite says hasn’t been true for decades.

She says that, but she’s simply wrong.
    [/quote]

I think people would be surprised just how much we do manufacture. The US is still in the top few in manufacture. I think where the confusion comes from is the drop of manufacture as a percentage world wide and a globalists push to redistribute wealth through manufacture throughout the world. From a national perspective it seems self destructive to encourage manufacture around the world.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”jmcbuilder”]
    I think people would be surprised just how much we do manufacture. The US is still in the top few in manufacture.[/quote]

So you agree that the U.S. still has a significant manufacturing sector and that sprite has it characteristically wrong. That’s been my sole point all along.

sprite

When I use the term “U.S. manufacture”, I refer to goods made in the U.S. by U.S. residents. The goods will be labeled ‘MADE IN THE USA”. A U.S. watch maker incorporated in the state of North Carolina is a US manufacturer in name only if it imports its wrist watches from Hong Kong.

The US used to export far more than it imported. Today, the opposite is true. Most of the household goods are labeled ‘MADE IN CHINA”.

The salient point of this is that American workers have lost what used to be well paying manufacturing jobs partly due to technological advancements and partly due to having jobs shipped overseas. It is a dangerous situation in normal times. In depressions, it is fatal.

jmcbuilder
    Participant

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”jmcbuilder”]
    I think people would be surprised just how much we do manufacture. The US is still in the top few in manufacture.[/quote]

So you agree that the U.S. still has a significant manufacturing sector and that sprite has it characteristically wrong. That’s been my sole point all along.[/quote]

Yes, I agree that the US still has a tremendous manufacture base. Sprite feels the pain of the middle class from the what I would call a betrayal of the American people by its representatives. This betrayal is ongoing with no end in sight.

sprite

The middle class is the creation of a manufacturing economy. As goes that economic sector, so goes the middle class. Are you unaware that the middle class has been decimated over the last 40 years?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Yes, I readily agree that the middle class has taken enormous hits in the past forty years or so. I also acknowledge that the very existence of the middle class was made possible in significant measure, although not entirely, by a manufacturing economy.

None of that, however, supports your assertion:

[quote=”sprite”]The US stopped making things decades ago when the globalists in the government shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas. [/quote]

The manufacturing sector in the U.S., while perhaps not what it once was, has hardly gone dormant. Reports of its final demise (by you, sprite) are greatly and inaccurately exaggerated.

sprite

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]Yes, I readily agree that the middle class has taken enormous hits in the past forty years or so. I also acknowledge that the very existence of the middle class was made possible in significant measure, although not entirely, by a manufacturing economy.

None of that, however, supports your assertion:

[quote=”sprite”]The US stopped making things decades ago when the globalists in the government shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas. [/quote]

The manufacturing sector in the U.S., while perhaps not what it once was, has hardly gone dormant. Reports of its final demise (by you, sprite) are greatly and inaccurately exaggerated.[/quote]

David,
    Statistics say I am correct as to diminished US manufacturing capacities relative to other countries.

Table 2. – Manufacturing Trade Deficit Growth,
    By Industry, 1989-2007

Change
    Item (US$ bil.)
    Total -699.1
    Oil & Gas -237.3
    Computer & Electronic Products -109.1
    Apparel -52.6
    Electrical Equipment -27.4
    Chemicals -18.9
    Source: US International Trade Administration

The above graph shows that we buy more than we make for the industries listed. Much of it comes from China. If you think it is an exaggeration for me to say the U.S. is in deep doo doo for loss of manufacturing capacity, then tell me what you think would (will) happen when the the Chinese decide to dump the 1.2 trillion dollars they now own because of this trade deficit on to the world market?

I am not sure you are able to think that far ahead. But don’t feel badly. It appears that nobody in our government can either.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.