Residency “en tramite”

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Residency “en tramite”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    alexander69

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”rosiemaji”]Thank you all very much for this information. It was most helpful. Now if Migracion would just get around to my application for residency.[/quote]

[b]Do you know what “Tico time” is?[/b]

My wife and I submitted out files in February 2008 and with problems with two attorneys the files were not completed properly until August 2008. In a forced medical situation in January 2009 we were able to get my wifes pensionado through in three months.
    My application lingered until February 2010 while it was rejected by the tecnicos and sent to the Director of Migracion three times. No explanation was ever forthcoming but I was finally notified of approval in May, three months after it had been approved.

YOu can [b]find help at Migracion through the Office of Controloria by calling 2299-8109 and asking for Maria Jose Lizano.[/b] She speaks adequate English. Give her your Expediente number and she can follow up and find out the status. I probably made twen trips to talk to her and follow up in person on my file even though I have a great attorney.

Talking with people face to face helps a lot. You can never allow youself to get frustrated. We have elected to live within a different culture that does thing much differently than we are used to. [b]Go with the flow.[/b][/quote]

Good Advice! We are “in process” also but do not have any number yet.

alexander69

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”rosiemaji”]Thank you all very much for this information. It was most helpful. Now if Migracion would just get around to my application for residency.[/quote]

[b]Do you know what “Tico time” is?[/b]

My wife and I submitted out files in February 2008 and with problems with two attorneys the files were not completed properly until August 2008. In a forced medical situation in January 2009 we were able to get my wifes pensionado through in three months.
    My application lingered until February 2010 while it was rejected by the tecnicos and sent to the Director of Migracion three times. No explanation was ever forthcoming but I was finally notified of approval in May, three months after it had been approved.

YOu can [b]find help at Migracion through the Office of Controloria by calling 2299-8109 and asking for Maria Jose Lizano.[/b] She speaks adequate English. Give her your Expediente number and she can follow up and find out the status. I probably made twen trips to talk to her and follow up in person on my file even though I have a great attorney.

Talking with people face to face helps a lot. You can never allow youself to get frustrated. We have elected to live within a different culture that does thing much differently than we are used to. [b]Go with the flow.[/b][/quote]

Good Advice! We are “in process” also but do not have any number yet.

waggoner41

[quote=”alexander69″]Good Advice! We are “in process” also but do not have any number yet.[/quote]

If you are “in process” you should have a document titled [b]Comprobante Requisitos, Expediente No. 135-xxxxxx[/b] with check marks beside the documents that you have filed.

The Expediente No 135-xxxxxx is the number that you use to find information or you can give her your U.S. passport number.

If you are using an attorney, the attorney should have a copy of the Expediente.

alexander69

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”alexander69″]Good Advice! We are “in process” also but do not have any number yet.[/quote]

If you are “in process” you should have a document titled [b]Comprobante Requisitos, Expediente No. 135-xxxxxx[/b] with check marks beside the documents that you have filed.

The Expediente No 135-xxxxxx is the number that you use to find information or you can give her your U.S. passport number.

If you are using an attorney, the attorney should have a copy of the Expediente.[/quote]

Thank you Waggoner! Our attorney just sent it to us. Should be here next week. A.

costaricabill
    Participant

OK, I have the document “Comprobante Requisitos, Expediente No. 135-xxxxxx”, so what do I now do with it?
    I brought it with me for my visit to Florida – so when I fly back into SJO next Monday,

1. do I hand that document to the immigration officer along with my passport?
    2. am I to expect any different type of stamp in my passport?
    3. will the “en tramite” status already be in the immigration system, or does he have to make some entry?

I am just trying to find out what to expect, so if any of you have been through the “first time re-entry en tramite” process, I sure would appreciate your recollections and/or advice.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]costaricabill[/b] just have it available [b]if[/b] indeed you are asked for it, and don’t have it packed away …

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricabill”]OK, I have the document “Comprobante Requisitos, Expediente No. 135-xxxxxx”, so what do I now do with it?
    I brought it with me for my visit to Florida – so when I fly back into SJO next Monday,

1. do I hand that document to the immigration officer along with my passport?
    2. am I to expect any different type of stamp in my passport?
    3. will the “en tramite” status already be in the immigration system, or does he have to make some entry?

I am just trying to find out what to expect, so if any of you have been through the “first time re-entry en tramite” process, I sure would appreciate your recollections and/or advice.[/quote]

I went to the States last September not knowing what to expect. They never asked for the document going or coming. The immigration officer is simply stamping your passport that you have arrived. Just keep the Expediente handy with you wherever you go.

With the Expedient in possession you can prove you are in process. I got caught by trafigos once without the Expediente and you don’t even want to go there.

Your next step will probably be to satisfy the traffic police by getting your drivers license within the 90 days.

Welcome home.

costaricabill
    Participant

I have it with me and will keep it close at hand. The reason I asked is that I recall one incident at the airport a year or so ago that I could see the immigration officer’s screen in the kiosk across from where I was checking in. A lady walked up, handed over her passport and as soon as the officer punched in the numbers, a large “EN TRAMITE” popped up on the screen, large enough for my old eyes to see it from 3-4 meters away.
    I also plan on laying over Monday night in SJO and heading to the driver’s licence office Tuesday morning. Any advice on that front? Any place nearby that I may want to stay?
    crb

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]If[/b] asked at all, it will probably when you check in for your return trip to Costa Rica.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”][b]If[/b] asked at all, it will probably when you check in for your return trip to Costa Rica.[/quote]

In the States? Why would they know or care?

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]Anyone[/b] flying to Costa Rica [b]without[/b][i][/i] a return ticket may be barred from boarding!
    [b]If[/b] your flight originated in Costa Rica, then returns to CR, you will not be in possession of a return flight to your home country…[b]unless you are a Resident.[/b][i][/i]
    If you search through the posts on this website, you will find what can and has happened.

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricabill”]
    I also plan on laying over Monday night in SJO and heading to the driver’s licence office Tuesday morning. Any advice on that front? Any place nearby that I may want to stay?
    crb[/quote]

Drivers license requires a blood test apparently only for typing your blood.
    You need the medical report, your passport and your current DL from the States.

Any one else remember if there is anything else needed? The memory fails somewhat at my age.

mollyjim

[quote=”costaricabill”][quote=”costaricafinca”][b]If[/b] asked at all, it will probably when you check in for your return trip to Costa Rica.[/quote]

In the States? Why would they know or care?[/quote]

Because airlines are charged with the duty of verifying that their passengers are either legal residents (including en tramite) of Costa Rica, OR have evidence of a return flight, or at least an ongoing flight leaving Costa Rica. They are subject to a $10,000 fine if they fail to do this and a passenger is denied entry to CR and returned to the US. The Comprobante with the Expediente number is evidence that they are not required by Costa Rica to leave the country every 90 days, thus a return ticket is not required. Check in personnel at gates would lose their job if they did not check and caused their employer that huge fine.

waggoner41

[quote=”mollyjim”][quote=”costaricabill”][quote=”costaricafinca”][b]If[/b] asked at all, it will probably when you check in for your return trip to Costa Rica.[/quote]

In the States? Why would they know or care?[/quote]

Because airlines are charged with the duty of verifying that their passengers are either legal residents (including en tramite) of Costa Rica, OR have evidence of a return flight, or at least an ongoing flight leaving Costa Rica. They are subject to a $10,000 fine if they fail to do this and a passenger is denied entry to CR and returned to the US. The Comprobante with the Expediente number is evidence that they are not required by Costa Rica to leave the country every 90 days, thus a return ticket is not required. Check in personnel at gates would lose their job if they did not check and caused their employer that huge fine.[/quote]

Good information. It’s nice to know how the process works and what to expect.
    Remembering back, once I left the Migracion desk an airline or security employee checked my documents when flying out. I was required to fill out a questionaire on the return flight which was then presented to the customs desk on return.

rosiemaji

As an update, I have just been informed that my residency application has been approved. It took 15 months for them to make a resolution after I submitted all of my documents. I think they would still be sitting on it, except that I paid a lawyer a total of $160 to go to Migracion to check to make sure all my documents that I submitted were in order (they were), to return 2 more times to check on the status of the application and then finally he will go back and make the appointment for me to get my card. I did all of this by myself and Migracion told me that I did not need a lawyer to do any of this for me. This is true, but many times I was confused about what I should do, how I should do it and where I should do it. Besides that, my Spanish is at a fairly elementary level (translation: my Spanish is terrible). Somehow I waded through all of the confusion and got it done right. I can understand why many people are willing to pay someone big bucks to handle everything from the get go. In the end, though, I had to pay someone to bug them about making a resolution or they would probably still be sitting on it.:roll:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.