Residency “en tramite”

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Residency “en tramite”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

About 4-5 weeks ago I submitted all of the paperwork to the office of the “Direccion General de Migracion y Extranjera”. On the day that we submitted all of the required documents for both my wife and I, I received a time/date stamped form titled “Comprobante Requisitos Expediente # 135-XXXXXX”.

A few days ago I asked my attorney how long he thought it would take to get a file # and the “Tramite” form indicating that our application was in progress. He said that under the new immigration law, the form #135-XXXXXX that I received upon submittal is the form I need to prove that I am in the residency process. (We actually received 2 forms, one each for both my wife and me, different numbers.)

Each of the computerized forms does have our names, the number, the issuing date & time issued, the name of the issuing migracion representative, the type of application (Residente Temporal Pensionado), and a long list of required documents, with a check mark next to the ones we submitted.

In the past I have heard about (and read) that “getting a file number” often took several months. Has anyone else recently submitted documents and received this same form? And if so, do you understand this to be the so-called “tramite” document, or you determine (as I fear) that this document is actually just receipt for the documents I submitted?

If anyone has a clue I would like to hear from you.
    Thanks,
    crb

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricabill”]”Comprobante Requisitos Expediente # 135-XXXXXX”.

crb[/quote]

This is your number and I would advise you to keep it with you at all times along with your passport. It is proof that you are in process.

I was finally approved after 27 months. Welcome to Costa Rica.

PS: Obtain your CR drivers license before your 90 days in CR is up to satisfy the traffic police.

costaricafinca
    Participant

This is indeed unusual! I would check further to see if it is indeed what most of have received a long time after applying.

rosiemaji

I applied under the old rules on June 3rd, 2009 and I still have not gotten an appointment. I hired a lawyer to check my file and find out why it was tasking so long. In March 2010, the lawyer said that my file was complete and in perfect order and that I would receive a determination within 30 days. I still have heard nothing. I have the same dated and stamped document called Comprobante Requisitos Expediente N 135-xxxxxx. However there is also Solicitud N 135-xxxxxx (different number). I am guessing that this is maybe my future cedula number? Can I take this form to the Caja to sign up for medical insurance or do we have to wait to be approved or get the fax notifying me of my appointment? I am told that there is nothing more I can do except wait for their determination. Is this so? Are people applying under the new rules being approved while those who applied before March 1st, 2010 are put on the bacl burner?

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricafinca”]This is indeed unusual! I would check further to see if it is indeed what most of have received a long time after applying.[/quote]

My application was filed with Migracion in February 2008 and I was immediately given the [b]Expediente[/b] and have used it to prove I am in process. [b]It is the correct document[/b].

Once you have this document the only institution that requires you to leave Costa Rica every 90 days is the Trafigo if you have not obtained your Costa Rican drivers license.

If you want it from the horses mouth call the Migracion Oficina de [b]Consoloria at 2299-8109[/b]. If you do not speak Spanish ask for [b]Maria Jose Lizano[/b], she speaks E#nglish.

Once you have passed the 90 days you are required to have the drivers license.

rosiemaji

How much Spanish do you need to know to get a Costa Rican Driver’s license? Is there a book to study like in the US? My Spanish isn’t exactly conversational yet but I do know what all of the traffic signs say. Where do you get it? I live near San Isidro, PZ.

waggoner41

[quote=”rosiemaji”]How much Spanish do you need to know to get a Costa Rican Driver’s license? Is there a book to study like in the US? My Spanish isn’t exactly conversational yet but I do know what all of the traffic signs say. Where do you get it? I live near San Isidro, PZ.[/quote]

At the COSEVI office in Uruca there is a woman who speaks English that can help you. Tell the guard at the door “Nececesario Licencia de Costa Rica y no habla Espanol.

He will send you upstairs.

If you are reasonably intelligent with a little Spanglish you can make it around. When I first arrived in Costa Rica I knew no Spanish but was able to find ways to communicate. It is not a lack of language that holds you up, it is the lack of an ability to communicate.
    I have found that many Ticos can understand and speak a little but wont admit it because they feel foolish about their accent. Once they hear my Spenglish and with a little kidding most of them will admit un poquito.

rosiemaji

Is Uruca the only place to go for a license? Do you need a car? I have a car but I never drive to San Jose from San Isidro. I take the bus and then taxis if I have to. I still am not sure how to prepare to get the driver’s license.

waggoner41

[quote=”rosiemaji”]Is Uruca the only place to go for a license? Do you need a car? I have a car but I never drive to San Jose from San Isidro. I take the bus and then taxis if I have to. I still am not sure how to prepare to get the driver’s license.[/quote]

No, it can’t be the only place but it is what I am familiar with. In every office there has to be someone with a smattering of English.

Sometimes you might feel like screaming “Ayuda mi con Ingles.”

Call one of the offices below and you may find an English speaker there:
    [b]Central COSEVI: Teléfonos: (506) 2257-72-00, 2257-69-19,
    2257-70-06, 2257-70-18
    Dirección: La Uruca Costado oeste del Banco Nacional[/b]

[b]Unidades de impugnaciones (Offices for Challenges)[/b]

San José: para información y consultas 2010-4628 COSEVI, La Uruca

Heredia: Jeffrey Berrocal Agüero 2010-4628

Puntarenas: Anabelle Alpízar Jiménez 2010-4628

Alajuela: Mercedes Mejía Sáenz 2441-7411 Delegación Regional de Policía de Tránsito de Alajuela.

Guápiles: Patricia Rojas Carballo 2710-4257 Delegación Regional de Policía de Tránsito de Guápiles (300 metros sur de Los Tribunales de Justicia).

Cartago: Flory Otárola Fernández. Delegación Regional de Policía de Tránsito de Cartago.

San Ramón: Luis Albán Arias Sosa 2445-5985 Delegación Regional de Policía de Tránsito de San Ramón.

Pérez Zeledón: Hazel Duarte Araya 2771-7843

San Isidro, Daniel Flores, final del campo de Exposiciones, mano derecha, contiguo a cancha sintética.

Osa: José Alfonso Mora Granga 2788-8394 ext. 125

Ciudad Cortes, Municipalidad de Osa.

Liberia: Eric Guerrero Alvarado 2665-6291, 1 Kilómetro al Noroeste de Burger King, carretera hacia La Cruz.

waggoner41

[quote=”rosiemaji”]Is Uruca the only place to go for a license? Do you need a car? I have a car but I never drive to San Jose from San Isidro. I take the bus and then taxis if I have to. I still am not sure how to prepare to get the driver’s license.[/quote]

First tell your doctor yu need a blood test for your drivers license and he/she will order it.

No need for a car, no test, current US drivers license required. [b]Documentation needed [/b]will be a copy of your blood test (apparently only for blood type), passport, current electric bill where you live, US drivers license.

There are no books, no studying and no tests. If you drive much you probably already know that rules of the road are shaky at best.

rosiemaji

Thank you all very much for this information. It was most helpful. Now if Migracion would just get around to my application for residency.

costaricabill
    Participant

There is a wealth of good information in this thread, but most of it is totally foreign to the intended subject matter. I am thankful for both the immigration responses and the drivers license information – both are appreciated; however, anyone scanning the subjects of forum entries in the future looking for information on drivers licensing will skip right over this one. It would be so much more helpful if the great info on licensing would have been used to introduce a new thread, either by the member or the monitor.
    I would still like to hear from other members regarding my original questions about the form.
    Thanks,
    crb

waggoner41

[quote=”rosiemaji”]Thank you all very much for this information. It was most helpful. Now if Migracion would just get around to my application for residency.[/quote]

[b]Do you know what “Tico time” is?[/b]

My wife and I submitted out files in February 2008 and with problems with two attorneys the files were not completed properly until August 2008. In a forced medical situation in January 2009 we were able to get my wifes pensionado through in three months.
    My application lingered until February 2010 while it was rejected by the tecnicos and sent to the Director of Migracion three times. No explanation was ever forthcoming but I was finally notified of approval in May, three months after it had been approved.

YOu can [b]find help at Migracion through the Office of Controloria by calling 2299-8109 and asking for Maria Jose Lizano.[/b] She speaks adequate English. Give her your Expediente number and she can follow up and find out the status. I probably made ten trips to talk to her and follow up in person on my file even though I have a great attorney.

Talking with people face to face helps a lot. You can never allow youself to get frustrated. We have elected to live within a different culture that does thing much differently than we are used to. [b]Go with the flow.[/b]

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricabill”]
    I would still like to hear from other members regarding my original questions about the form.
    Thanks,
    crb[/quote]
    As noted above:
    If you want it from the horses mouth [b]call the Migracion Oficina de Consoloria at 2299-8109[/b]. [b]If you do not speak Spanish ask for Maria Jose Lizano[/b], she speaks English.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]rosiemaji [/b] for your first license here, you need to go to La Uruca, where, if you are still within the legal 90 tourist visa and have an existing driving license, it is a breeze. But…if you are over the 90 days, you will need to sit the test in Spanish, a whole different ball game.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.