Obama may cut Social Security says Sen. Sanders

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Obama may cut Social Security says Sen. Sanders

Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    kimball

Then maybe those scientists (that only make 60k) and those ticos and nicos and whoever else should go to school and become a CEO or a hedge fund manager.

Im just a dumb bricklayer working my balls off to make enough money to secure mine and my families future. For whatever that is worth.

The system is the system no matter how you want to dice it. So that is the game i play.

Maybe i should give all my money to poor people so we are equal. Will that make you feel better.

Until then i put one brick on top of two and hope for the best.

waggoner41

[quote=”kimball”]Unions are a big part of the problem. I saw it first hand when i was in the local 7, how the negotiating team would act like they owned the companies or something.[/quote]
    That’s what happens when the union membership relinquishes control to a few greedy leaders and then agrees to demand what they recommend. It isn’t the fault of the unions per se it’s the fault of the membership electing abusive leadership and standing idly by while they drain the company.

waggoner41

[quote=”kimball”]But you dont address the real question.

How much tax is enough ? 75% 80% 90% ?
    Cant you see that its all tied together ?[/quote]

There seems to be some disparity in the argument here.

I see one side providing citation for their comments and the other side just making unfounded comments.

There is [u][b]NO ONE[/b][/u] paying anything like 36% on their income at present. It’s what they call the marginal tax rate. You only pay the higher tax rate on what exceeds the next lowest marginal rate.

I’m tired of hearing crybabies who feel like they have to have all the toys and accessories of life and are having a hard time keeping up with the guy who makes more than he does.

I never made more than $55,000 a year and did just fine. You keep far more than that in your pocket every year and do nothing but whine. Now I’m retired in Costa Rica and own my home on an acre of land outright.

Everyone knows the tax system is screwed up in the States but your going to have to elect smarter people to represent you in congress to get it corrected.

sprite

[quote=”kimball”]Then maybe those scientists (that only make 60k) and those ticos and nicos and whoever else should go to school and become a CEO or a hedge fund manager.

Im just a dumb bricklayer working my balls off to make enough money to secure mine and my families future. For whatever that is worth.

The system is the system no matter how you want to dice it. So that is the game i play.

Maybe i should give all my money to poor people so we are equal. Will that make you feel better.

Until then i put one brick on top of two and hope for the best.[/quote]

That’s a great idea; have everyone be hedge managers and CEO’s. You just don’t get it. Whatever wealth you or most anybody else has came from a cooperative, societal effort. Commerce depends upon an infrastructure. When the rewards of that effort are not fairly distributed, the imbalance tends to destroy the society. Current and historical examples abound which is why the Costa Rican government became concerned over a recent report indicating there is a growing economic gap among its citizens.

It is meaningless to state that “the system is the system”. No kidding! The system was created and is maintained by people. It is not some immutable force of nature.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Congressman Ron Paul says it very simply and eloquently …

[ http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1893:debt-ceiling-drama&catid=62:texas-straight-talk&Itemid=69 ]

“Every time the Federal Reserve engages in more quantitative easing and devalues the dollar, it is defaulting on the American people by eroding their purchasing power and inflating their savings away.”

“The Fed claims inflation is 2% or less over the past few years; however economists who compile alternate data show a 9% inflation rate if calculated more traditionally. Alarmingly, the administration is talking about changing the methodology of the CPI calculation yet again to hide the damage of the government’s policies. Changing the CPI will also enable the government to avoid giving seniors a COLA (cost of living adjustment) on their social security checks, and raise taxes via the hidden means of “bracket creep.”

“We need to stop expensive bombing campaigns against people on the other side of the globe and bring our troops home. We need to stop allowing secretive banking cartels to endlessly enslave us through monetary policy trickery. And we need to drastically rethink government’s role in our lives so we can get it out of the way and get back to work.”

sprite

Ron Paul stated recently that he was not sure that we could turn this thing around in time. He is not the only high profile individual to say such a thing. Jacque Fresco (The Venus Project, The Zeitgeist Movement)) has also expressed fear that we are too late. Like climate change, a tipping point may have been reached beyond which people cannot stop a systemic collapse, the likes of which has never been experienced by our species.

Rather than spending our energies on trying to save a doomed system, perhaps we should be working on survival preparation for when this all comes tumbling down upon us.

David,

All do respect, you must be on another planet, called Costa Rica. I am a current federal employee with DOJ, and all federal employees (non-politicians)are on a pay freeze for 2011 and 2012. The freeze not only effects our pay, it will also effect our pension. Our pension is based on the “High Three” income levels before retirement. Also, in terms of the COLA, if you eat, drive or have health insurance in the U.S., there is inflation at about 3% plus. The government figures on inflation, exclude fuel and food.

Doug Ward

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]Well, if the jobs they’re creating are all in India, China, Africa and Costa Rica, why in the devil are the wizards in Congress so hellbent upon giving these corporations tax incentives using American dollars? Why not rely on the Indians, et al, to supply the incentives? Why us?[/quote]
    They are ! They borrow the money from those countries, give it to their corporate pimps and YOU get to pay the interest on it !
    It’s just business.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”Disabled Veteran”]David,

All do respect, you must be on another planet, called Costa Rica. I am a current federal employee with DOJ, and all federal employees (non-politicians)are on a pay freeze for 2011 and 2012. The freeze not only effects our pay, it will also effect our pension. Our pension is based on the “High Three” income levels before retirement. Also, in terms of the COLA, if you eat, drive or have health insurance in the U.S., there is inflation at about 3% plus. The government figures on inflation, exclude fuel and food.[/quote]

And, as I have written more than once, I think the freeze on federal employees’ salaries is a meaningless gesture (“bullshit” is the technical term). And I fully appreciate how federal employees’ pensions are computed, having retired under a similar State of Michigan system, and the impact that this bullshit gesture will have.

Likewise, I have acknowledged that the real, in the street, cost of living has indeed gone up despite the results of the computation(s) the government uses under the various laws that govern such computations.

Having said all that, I will say no more in this regard. If you haven’t taken the time to understand what I’ve written so far, you’re not likely to do so in the future, so I won’t bother.

sprite

I think the message here is that we all need to just step back from what the thoroughly corrupted government calls law and rule and to totally disregard ANY numbers or data coming from that source.

Andrew
    Keymaster

In case you missed it …

Gang of Six takes from poor, gives to rich. There Will be Major Cuts in Social Security. By Bernie Sanders

[ http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article28656.htm ]

“Don’t let anybody kid you about this being some minor thing. It is not. What we are talking about is that Social Security cuts would go into effect virtually immediately. Ten years from now, the typical 75-year-old person will see their Social Security benefits cut by $560 a year. The average 85-year-old will see a cut of $1,000 a year. Now, for some people here in Washington, maybe the big lobbyists who make hundreds of thousands a year, $560 a year or $1,000 a year may not seem like a lot of money, but if you are a senior trying to get by on $14,000, $15,000, $18,000 a year and you’re 85 years old, the end of your life, you’re totally vulnerable, you’re sick — a $1,000 per year cut in what you otherwise would have received is a major, major blow.”

“Under the Gang of Six proposals, there will be cuts in Medicare over a 10-year period of almost $300 billion. There will be massive cuts in Medicaid and other health care programs. ”

kimball

You go scare them old people Bernie.::roll:

Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.