Obama may cut Social Security says Sen. Sanders

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Obama may cut Social Security says Sen. Sanders

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

but those numbers are not derived from everyday cost of goods. of course, the cost of living has gone up; nothing costs what it did a year ago, but the formula is what’s screwy and does not reflect what people actually spend to live.

*Lotus

If we used CPI instead of Core they would be compelled to pay out significant increases. When they strip out the “volatile” food and energy prices, they do a great disservice to the American family, whose budget is largely affected by these two commodities.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Disabled Vet and sprite, I never suggested that there has been no increase in the actual cost of living, did I? What I said, clearly and succinctly, is that there has been no increase in the cost of living [u]according to the formula(s) set forth in the legislation that makes provision for those cost of living adjustments[/u].

Is that formula a contrived legal fiction? Arguably, yes. Is that formula the law? Indisputably, yes again.

Remember, in this, as in all other matters, the government is constrained by the terms of the laws that Congress passes. If the formula takes into account only the costs of beaver pelts and buggy whips, then that’s what your COLA will be based upon [u]because that’s the law[/u]. If you don’t like it, elect someone who’ll change it. That’s the theory behind the democratic process.

Dis Vet, you should know this by now. sprite . . . well . . .

And by the way, DV, I never suggested that federal salaries hadn’t been frozen. What I said, again clearly and succinctly, is that the two-year freeze on federal employees’ salaries is bullshit, that it will have virtually no beneficial impact on the cost of government. It would be better to read and understand first. Then respond.

wspeed1195

How bout cut congressional retirement first.and all the money spent on security for the past politicians.I have to protect myself from past indisgressions.

postalx

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]The absence of an increase in Social Security and veterans’ pensions for the past two years is attributable not to anything President Obama did but to the fact that, as computed under the laws, there has been no increase in the cost of living.

“COLA” = “Cost of Living Allowance”

No increase in the cost of living = no increase in COLA.

Obama had nothing to do with it. This has been the law for decades.

As for freezing federal employees’ salaries. It’s bullshit.[/quote]

“As computed under the laws”; how convenient! Anyone who has gone grocery shopping in the last year knows what the real cost of living is, not some bureaucratically derived factor that has no semblance of reality.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The law is what the law is. Love it or hate it, until it’s changed, the law is the law.

Now, if you don’t like what the law is, your options are few, but clear. Run for office yourself and change the law. Support the candidacy of someone who will change the law to your liking. Challenge the law on constitutional grounds. Or stop whining.

postalx

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]The law is what the law is. Love it or hate it, until it’s changed, the law is the law.

Now, if you don’t like what the law is, your options are few, but clear. Run for office yourself and change the law. Support the candidacy of someone who will change the law to your liking. Challenge the law on constitutional grounds. Or stop whining.[/quote]

Geez david, thanks for that pearl of wisdom. Now I can get on with my day, squeezing a buck out of society.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You’re very welcome.

Irony

[quote=”Disabled Veteran”]Ahh..Obama, he started by cutting our VA disability compensation COLA for two years, Social Security COLA for two years; 😯 ……. I truely thought there would be a mass demonstration or quasi-revolution, when Obama froze veterans disability COLA for two years.:shock::shock: [/quote]

Check your facts !!!!!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”irony”][quote=”Disabled Veteran”]Ahh..Obama, he started by cutting our VA disability compensation COLA for two years, Social Security COLA for two years; 😯 ……. I truely thought there would be a mass demonstration or quasi-revolution, when Obama froze veterans disability COLA for two years.:shock::shock: [/quote]

Check your facts !!!!![/quote]

Which facts are you disputing?

Irony

Just saying that Disabled Vet should check his COLA facts

Due to the continuing recession and subsequent reduction in the cost-of-living for many areas, the 2011 COLA rates have dropped with the exception of New York, Staten Island, and locations in Illinois and Massachusetts.

Andrew
    Keymaster

This ought to get somebody’s attention.

If no deal by Aug. 2, Obama can’t guarantee Social Security checks will go out

In an interview with CBS Evening News, President Obama says he can’t guarantee Social Security checks will go out Aug. 3rd if a debt-ceiling deal is not reached by the Aug. 2nd deadline.

Scott Pelley: Can you tell the folks at home no matter what happens that Social Security checks are going to go out on August the 3rd? There are about 20 billion dollars of Social Security checks that have to go out the day after the government is supposed to go into default.

Obama: Well this is not just a matter of Social Security checks, these are veterans checks, these are folks on disability, their checks. There are about 70 million checks that go out —

Scott Pelley: Can you guarantee as President those checks will go out on August the 3rd?

Obama: I can not guarantee those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven’t resolved this issue because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it.

See the interview at;

[ http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/12/7068367-if-no-deal-by-aug-2-obama-cant-guarantee-social-security-checks-will-go-out?ocid=twitter ]

jtd2

[quote=”Disabled Veteran”]Ahh..Obama, he started by cutting our VA disability compensation COLA for two years, Social Security COLA for two years; and froze our federal salaries for two years. I’m glad the military trained me to always expect, the unexpected! And, always have a Plan B. I have prepared financially for whatever storm may come, and fortunately in my case, social security will just pay for a new boat. In the U.S. class battle, there will only be the haves and the havenots. The middle class has and will continue to be destroyed. I truely thought there would be a mass demonstration or quasi-revolution, when Obama froze veterans disability COLA for two years. I was sadly mistaken![/quote]

The Office of President of the USA does not make laws, which are the job of US Congress. Any cuts on VA benefits, Social Security benefits were made into laws by US Congress not by the President of the United States (either party). Falsely blaming anyone without actual facts is completely irresponsible.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]

If no deal by Aug. 2, Obama can’t guarantee Social Security checks will go out [/quote]

Ah, but the good news is that the Republicans will be able to remain ideologically pure in their opposition to any increase in revenues, and the already absurdly advantaged will retain the entirety of their absurd advantages.

We can all rest more easily knowing that our Republican statesmen held their ground and that the one percent of American citizens who earn (well, receive) the vast majority of the income and who hold the vast majority of the wealth won’t be imposed upon. The only thing that might impose upon our easy rest would be the hollow rumbling in our empty stomachs, but what’s a little near-universal discomfort in the face of ideological purity?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

irony, jtd2, you must have been paying attention in your high school civics classes. Congratulations!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.