New US Ambassador Will Not Attend July 4th Celebration

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New US Ambassador Will Not Attend July 4th Celebration

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

I am not American but certainly believe that a ‘US Ambassador’ should be setting an example for others and showing his loyalty to the USA first.

Stryker1945

I agree with Loren Cain. The US ambassador should attend the 4th of July event as he represents the USA. How many Costa Ricans will he offend in the future by not attending events important to them that fall on a Saturday? Great way to win hearts and minds…

I find it utterly absurd that an observant Jew was selected as ambassador to a nation that is overwhelmingly Catholic. But this is typical of the endless misjudgments made by the US government. Just one reason I moved to Costa Rica. Pura stupidity!

dealegre

It is his obligation to attend. He is representing America FIRST. His religious beliefs must be set aside.

charliexcop

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised by most of the comments critical of the new ambassador not attending the 4th of July celebration especially after it has taken approximately 2 years for him to be approved by the members of Congress.

I’ve lived here about 10 years and read AM Costa Rica fairly regularly. Within the past 2 years I’ve not read any complaints in AM Costa Rica about no ambassador to Costa Rica having been approved by Congress. Two years seems like an extraordinary length of time for Congress to get around to approving a mostly ceremonial appointment.

I would think that you who are complaining would be voicing your outrage about Congress dragging their feet. Another extraordinary aspect of the comments posted addresses the ambassador religion. Many Americans try to portray the USA as a religious country. It is not. Many want religion taught in its public schools, want to see the Nativity setting in government buildings. Where is the respect he’s due for honoring his faith?

Yet, because the ambassador will not be attending the celebration tomorrow because of his faith you choose to criticize him. The ambassador is not obligated to attend the celebration that was created by a group of expats over 40 some years ago.

Remember, for 2 years there was no USA ambassador to Costa Rica because of Congress. If the celebration was held on another day of the week I’m pretty sure he and his family would have attended barring any official business that he would be obligated to tend to. He respectively declined and expressed why he declined. Yes, he and his family will miss a grand opportunity to meet lots of folks and share in the celebration.

I know for a fact that I and many other American expats residing or visiting here will not be attending tomorrow’s celebration and not because of any religious reasons.

I’ve an idea of why there are so many negative comments about the Ambassador. And, those negative comments about the ambassador and insinuations remarks of those that selected him are purely disrespectful.

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]I am not American but certainly believe that a ‘US Ambassador’ should be setting an example for others and showing his loyalty to the USA first.[/quote]
    One of the founding principles of the USA is the separation of church[or synagogue] and state – that is, religion and politics do not mix. That same principle prevents religious Xmas displays on government property. If this news item is true, you have to agree that he is separating religion and politics, but in a very unfortunate way, giving a negative impression of himself and his commitment to the job… but on the other hand, most ambassadors are political hacks, not chosen for their statesmanship.

jkittay

I must admit that I am truly surprised at the not-so-subtle anti-Semitic tone present in a number of the remarks posted here. As a non-observant Jew who is relocating to Costa Rica later this year, with my Catholic significant other, I hope to steer clear of those who think that any deeply held religious belief should be “put aside” for the sake of political expediency or appearance. Should Muslim ambassadors put aside the fasts of Ramadan if invited to a daytime feast? Would they be ridiculed if they chose not to attend or partake? Where is your compassion, your tolerance? This man was an observant Jew long before he was appointed as an Ambassador and his beliefs, whether you or I agree with them or not, take precedence over this temporary assignment as ambassador. Your remarks to the contrary are shameful.

Jeff Kittay

jkittay

Thank you charliexcop, for a voice of sanity amidst a sea of disrespect.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”pharg”][quote=”Scott”]I am not American but certainly believe that a ‘US Ambassador’ should be setting an example for others and showing his loyalty to the USA first.[/quote]
    One of the founding principles of the USA is the separation of church[or synagogue] and state – that is, religion and politics do not mix. That same principle prevents religious Xmas displays on government property. If this news item is true, you have to agree that he is separating religion and politics, but in a very unfortunate way, giving a negative impression of himself and his commitment to the job… but on the other hand, most ambassadors are political hacks, not chosen for their statesmanship.[/quote]

So very true…. especially for a plum posting like CR with a lame duck president with a limited term in office left. Looking at the guy’s resume I’m thinking he’s useful for a company’s image and looks great on a press release but has little impact on the firms he has worked for. Seems he’s good for a few years at most with no real consistency in field or industry. Makes you wonder. I guess all the campaign contributions helped too! His posting in CR will just be another glossy addition to his resume for when he gets picked for some higher political plum down the road…. but he better stick to banking since Saturdays and holidays are an issue apparently!

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”jkittay”]Thank you charliexcop, for a voice of sanity amidst a sea of disrespect.[/quote]

I’m guessing by Charlie’s username that he might have been employed in law enforcement at one time…. and that brings up an interesting issue…. had the new ambassador to CR chosen the same career as Charlie…. would we be as understanding when he said….. “Sorry…. I want the job but due to my religion I can’t go out on patrol on Saturdays”?

Remember… his appointment to this position as ambassador to CR didn’t just “happen”…. he actively pursued it… just as if he had pursued a career in law enforcement or any other profession that might require he make himself available on Saturdays.

Just some food for thought.

nking54

The Ambassador’s first duty is to God. He should not compromise his commitment to our dear Lord for anything mankind dictates.

charientist

[quote=”jkittay”]I must admit that I am truly surprised at the not-so-subtle anti-Semitic tone present in a number of the remarks posted here.[/quote]

You hit the nail squarely on the head there. The fact that he is also black gives some people an extra bonus reason to be overly critical, I suspect.

And to those who criticize the ambassador for faithful observance of his religion, I would remind those that profess to be Christians that “Honor the sabbath day” is an actual one of the 10 commandments – not a suggestion. If Ambassador Haney is as faithful in observing the other 9 then he is indeed a righteous man.

In any case, the ambassador has already attended an event to mark Independence Day on Thursday.

On any given day hundreds of children die due to the consequences of war, disease, neglect and malnutrition. But let’s not waste any outrage or concern on THAT, let’s save it for whether or not someone attends a 4th of July party.

charientist

[quote=”Stryker1945″]I find it utterly absurd that an observant Jew was selected as ambassador to a nation that is overwhelmingly Catholic. [/quote]

And do you also have a problem with all of the ambassadors to predominantly Catholic countries who were Protestants? Are we obliged to appoint Muslims as ambassadors to Muslim countries? Back when there was a Soviet Union did we need to find an atheist to serve as ambassador to the USSR? Is a Jew who wants someday to be an ambassador limited to being named as ambassador to Israel?

charientist

[quote=”Imxploring”]Just some food for thought.[/quote]

There are some jobs that require you to work at any time on any day – but ambassador isn’t one of them, and even then observation of the Sabbath would allow some activities an ambassador is expected to do but not others.

Imxploring
    Participant

By no means being an expert on the Jewish religion perhaps some of our Jewish members can help us understand more on the issue. Doing a little research it seems the “Shabbat” or day of rest would not conflict with the ambassador enjoying some fellowship with Americans at this event. Bringing his family would also be a lovely way of introducing himself to the expat community as well as letting his family meet some of the folks also living in CR.

I found this definition of Shabbat but perhaps there is more to the day than this explanation defines.

“The word “Shabbat” derives from the Hebrew verb shavat (Hebrew: ???????). Although frequently translated as “rest” (noun or verb), another accurate translation of these words is “ceasing [from work]”, as resting is not necessarily denoted. The related modern Hebrew word shevita (labor strike), has the same implication of active rather than passive abstinence from work. The notion of active cessation from labor is also regarded as more consistent with an omnipotent God’s activity on the seventh day of Creation according to Genesis.”

Some fellowship would go along way in making his transition a smooth one for both the expat community as well as his family.

charientist

And if there was only one possible day for the ambassador to demonstrate that fellowship – July 4th, 2015 – then your criticism might be valid.

But there isn’t.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.