A Couple of Interesting Changes (Again)

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum A Couple of Interesting Changes (Again)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    johnr

Just got back from Costa Rica last night and once again had a great trip. However a couple of interesting things (observations) on my departure:

1) They took my lighter from me (from my brief case) and said I could not take it on the plane. I tried to argue the point – did not win.

2) While I was in the waiting area at Liberia I saw two people get taken aside and questioned at length by two young Tico’s (plain clothes – a little dangle tag on their belts, carrying walkies). The first guy was a way’s down from me so I didn’t over hear anything but I did see them take a look at his passport. The next guy was much closer and I could see that it was a Red passport so I assume Canadian. It was loud but I did hear them ask him certain things like “where he stayed”, “how long”, “what did he buy”, “why was he in the country”, “did he rent a car and from whom” …. and it went on and on – about 20 minutes from each guy.

Once in a while they would talk into the walkies and then start asking more questions.

Any idea what gives? It certainly wasn’t a tourist survey.

Any one been through this?

Andrew
    Keymaster

As if the Costa Rican government has money to throw away on the NON-existent “terrorism” threat…

They’re probably starting to brainwash the Canadians to expect the same abominable treatment as we have come to expect from U.S. immigration and “security” officials…

In case you missed it …

Canada-US Border Deal Threatens Sovereignty

“Now, Canadians and Americans alike are bracing for a further violation of their sovereignty with the announcement of the latest border agreement. Devoid of the larger historical context in a media that has largely refused to report on the issues involved and deprived of a chance to vote on the issue through a process that is implemented bureaucratically, look for the new agreement, when it is finally unveiled, to be reported on quickly and then forgotten by the public of both countries.”

Video at: [ http://youtu.be/CrJK1n4mqPg ]
    Transcript at: [ http://www.corbettreport.com/canada-us-border-deal-threatens-sovereignty/ ]

But don’t you worry!

It’s for your protection!

Scott

PS. Did you read The Informants?

What single organization is responsible for more terror plots in the USA than any other?

It is the Federal Bureau of Investigation, AKA the FBI.

Don’t believe me? Read Trevor Aaronson’s “The Informants” published in the September/October 2011 issue of Mother Jones.

[http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/08/fbi-terrorist-informants ]

maravilla

just curious – why would you think it was okay to take a lighter on the plane. didn’t the shoe bomber make those things illegal??? i’m surprised they let us wear underpants after the underpants bomber got caught.

I carry several lighters, back and forth between the U.S. and Costa Rica. In all the years, neither U.S. nor Costa Rican security; has confiscated my lighters. However, I must say, I always fly into Liberia. The SJ airport has had numerous U.S. and Canadian citizens attempt to smuggle marijuana and cocaine back to the U.S. or Canada. Even if they are not carrying drugs, often there is still residue in their clothing or bags; which will initiate a detention and questioning. In my case, I always receive “Profiling Treatment” and extra security checks, once I return to my east coast airport. I must admit, I do look like a Tico! I play the game with them, then I politely ask to see a supervisor, once he or she arrives, I present my Department Of Justice federal credentials; and have them apologize to me in public. Odd, everytime I arrive at the airport in Liberia, I always get smiles and an Ola!

maravilla

plus ca change, plus cést la meme chose . . .

here’s your argument the next time they snag your lighters:

As of August 4, 2007, in an effort to concentrate resources on detecting explosive threats, TSA will no longer ban common lighters in carry-on luggage. Torch lighters remain banned in carry-ons. http://www.tsa.gov

Lifting the lighter ban is consistent with TSA’s risk-based approach to aviation security. First and foremost, lighters no longer pose a significant threat. Freeing security officers up from fishing for 22,000 lighters every day (the current number surrendered daily across the country) enables them to focus more on finding explosives, using behavior recognition, conducting random screening procedures and other measures that increase complexity in the system, deterring terrorists. The U.S. is the only country in the world to ban lighters – all other nations, including Israel and the U.K., do not.

personally, i think they should make everyone fly naked!

maravilla,
    Be careful what you wish for!!! As incompetent as the TSA is, nude searches may be next.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

So, maravilla, if everyone had to fly naked, would it be all right with you if they shaved your companion dog?

maravilla

the dog is already nearly naked. but just think of the advantages — no shoe bomber, no underpants bomber, no turban bomber. it would make life so much easier, don’t you think???

twinzor1

Sure. 4 times to be exact, and now they recognize me. The taller guy is named Hernan! Both real young. They generally look for solo travelers, especially young guys. They’re actually pretty cool, and downright personable compared to US Customs in Miami. I’m back and forth at least once each month through LIR, so i carry just a small backpack. Not good in MIA (though never once a problem in ATL or HOU.) You might be annoyed, but this is the manual version of the stuff going on in all US airports. Much rather be asked a couple of questions (gives me a chance to practice my Spanish) than a retinaFRS that awaits me when i get home. Gotta be a wise-guy and ask – did you think it iswas okay to take a lighter onto a US bound plane? (and the fact that you may have done it before doesn’t count as an answer 🙂

maravilla

read the excerpt from the TSA site that i posted — there is no longer a ban on little lighters in carry-on; torch lighters, yes. there WAS a ban, now there isn’t.

twinzor1

TSA regulations are still not 100% consistently applied from airport to airport within the US; they are absolutely inconsistent for US-bound flights originating in other countries. For example, the 3-oz liquid rule is not followed out of many Asian and African markets, while a small lighter ban is. TSA regs on their site often expire or change the same week they are posted, due to threat awareness.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]the dog is already nearly naked. but just think of the advantages — no shoe bomber, no underpants bomber, no turban bomber. it would make life so much easier, don’t you think???[/quote]

Hmmm . . . Well, just as long as they don’t make me shave my beard, eh?

mdpfeifer

[quote=”johnr”]Just got back from Costa Rica last night and once again had a great trip. However a couple of interesting things (observations) on my departure:

1) They took my lighter from me (from my brief case) and said I could not take it on the plane. I tried to argue the point – did not win.

2) While I was in the waiting area at Liberia I saw two people get taken aside and questioned at length by two young Tico’s (plain clothes – a little dangle tag on their belts, carrying walkies). The first guy was a way’s down from me so I didn’t over hear anything but I did see them take a look at his passport. The next guy was much closer and I could see that it was a Red passport so I assume Canadian. It was loud but I did hear them ask him certain things like “where he stayed”, “how long”, “what did he buy”, “why was he in the country”, “did he rent a car and from whom” …. and it went on and on – about 20 minutes from each guy.

Once in a while they would talk into the walkies and then start asking more questions.

Any idea what gives? It certainly wasn’t a tourist survey.

Any one been through this?[/quote]
    I am Canadian and have never had a red passport (not that it matters) but my passport has always been blue 😀

rward

TSA is a joke. Now we get frisked at football games. Stop the insanity….BTW if everyone flew naked the barf bag usage would skyrocket! And Dave, Keep the Ernest Hemingway…8)

In terms of the TSA. Adding insult to injury, we are inspected by minimum wage, low educated federal employees; and, several have been arrested for stealing from passenger luggage. Not to mention, several have been fired for sexual misconduct on the job.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.