Wow Scott, I feel your pain!

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Wow Scott, I feel your pain!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Imxploring
    Participant

Just got your weekly newsletter in my e-mail. Just what was it you had this fellow that took your money doing? And why, unless there was a large upfront outlay for materials and such, would you give someone you don’t know $2000? Seems like a lot of money unless there was a physical project involved. What exactly was the “project” this guy was doing for you? We’d all like to know as to avoid the same mistake! Please give us some more details on how you met, and what it is this guy does.

geminigio

Scott,
    thanks for the “heads up” on this character who took your $2,000.00 It is good to know that you are always out there watching our backs
    Scott, but don’t you have anyone watching yours? I’d like to know what service he was supposed to provide for you and why you trusted him with 2 grand if his references were not quite what you expected they should be? I am not trying to sound critical, no way, you have helped me with your personal advise many times and the welovecostarica web site is a big service for all our VIP members and I’m sure thousands trust you as I do, but, i find it somewhat strange that this guy pulled this crap knowing the amount of readers you have and knowing your reputation.. He certainly closed the door to ever do any biz with any of us. Please let us members know more details if possible if you can and if you cannot I thank you once again for exposing this jerk.

Take Care Scott,

Geminigio…..Artie Giordano

Andrew
    Keymaster

Abel Ramos contacted me wanting to “offer” his aerial photography & video services on my site and I hired him to do some aerial video tours and some work on Google Earth.

I have not verified this but someone has since told me that he does not have a helicopter (one of the small ones that you fly by remote control) with which to do the photographic aerial tours…

I did check one reference – which is all he could give me here – but in any new business relationship, references can be ‘falsified’ anyway and at some stage you have to bite the bullet, pay up and see what happens …

On this occasion, it did not work out well for me but thankfully it doesn’t happen too often.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

apexit

Abel Ramos is operating without a lawyers liscense. What you need to do is become a lawyer. They do it all the time in Costa Rica. They say they can help send them money and then the calls slow down and you can’t do a thing about it except call another lawyer that says he will get your money back and solve your problem for the same amount and get nailed again.
    Stan

Andrew
    Keymaster

Ugh?

He claimed to do aerial videos & photography, he never claimed to be a lawyer… Where did you get that idea from?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Alfred

None of us are immune to the workings of a professional scammer. I admit, I got it bad once too. We gave a deposit on furniture to a guy who was a “Freelance designer” working out of a furniture store. Gave him a hefty deposit, and he never delivered. Called up the store and they tell us he was just renting space. We called the local TV news, and they came with cameras blazing. It was so bad, the district attorney got involved when a load of other people that got scammed saw it on TV. I had to testify in front of the grand jury. This guy left the country with, from what they could figure, with $200,000 plus, in deposits. And that was in 1977 dollars.
    Never heard a word of what became of our money, or this piece of garbage.
    This bum, was an older gentleman with a good line of crap. He built up years of reputable business by delivering furniture at good prices and on time. At the end, all his business was referral business. That’s how we got snagged. A refferal from a friend who had dealt with him in the past, and who also got burned in this final scam.
    As far as the DA knew, he may have gotten away with a million dollars. Some people, most likely did not go to the DA when this scum skipped, and just ate the loss.
    So, we’re possibly all vulnerable to smooth talkers at some point. You have to keep your guard up and do the best research you can.
    The great thing here is, Scott had the guts to put this guys picture up to help prevent somebody else from falling victim.

Way to go, Scott!

Imxploring
    Participant

Hey Scott! Thanks for clearing up the project this fellow was suppose to be working on for you! Sorry you got the short end on the deal, we all know what a great resouce you are to the folks that read this board! If there’s any way we can help please let us know! I’m sure the word will get out about this guy!

I make it a habit of NEVER giving a large deposit on any work I have done unless I can justify that the person doing the work is going to have some type of upfront expenses (ie building materials). Even then I make it my policy to buy the materials as per the direction of the person doing the work. I find that reputable business people don’t have a problem with it. The few times I’ve had someone balk at this arrangement I’ve walked away. And in hindsight it’s been the best move!

As is the case here, when someone gets so much money upfront they have little motivation to do the work!

wspeed1195

Alfred,keep your eyes open when your in costa rica. he may be A real estate agent now,or A developer.better yet,A non-profit charity co-ordinator.which doesn’t mean you can’t use the funds to live lavishly.
    as too topic.what too say.it happens here in the statesas often as anywhere else as Alfred attested too.

Alfred

You know what wspeed? After I wrote this, I thought about that. CR would have been a likely destination for this dirtbag. But by now, he is either too old, or dead and buried.
    I had almost forgotten about this incident, until Scott posted his unfortunate dealings. Then I got all incensed again about it, and had to tell it. The rough part is, we were just about to get married when we realized we would have no furniture. But, such is life. You live, and hopefully, you learn.

apexit

Scott I am being cynical. Best thing don’t you think is pay half? Have you ever heard of Carlos Chamberlain or Steve Wroe. Is there an attorney’s website that lists all attorney’s in CR?
    Stan

Andrew
    Keymaster

Please see the article at and you’ll find the link to the Costa Rican attorney’s website there…

Scott Oliver -Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

mysticmaiden

Scott: How come you can slander someone and I cant? You deleted the names of the shysters who burned me???

Andrew
    Keymaster

I KNOW what happened to me MysticMaiden from personal experience and have the emails as proof to back me up and am able to take responsibility for my actions. In your case, I would be relying on your opinion and the “shysters… burned me” posted by a “MysticMaiden” that could get me into hot water and that’s a lot more complicated.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

mysticmaiden

I have tons of proof too! Of course you are not privy to it. I understand your position but I am sure if this Abel guy was asked he would have a different spin on it. Wish there was a way we could expose these guys without jeopardizing your forum. Can we simply say,
    “I would not recommend Sr.XYZ as a lawyer, developer, dentist?” I have seen people say: in this forum, don’t go to this hotel, rent-a-car, etc. and have identified their names. Whats the rules Scott? How do we do it, because we must do it!

Andrew
    Keymaster

I am really sick to death of all of this too – I assure you. I’m having lunch with one of my attorneys later this week and will try to get some better guidelines…

Scott

PS. On advice from my counsel – this article has been removed… I have removed quite a few over the years…

It is a wonderful world isn’t it?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.