Will this new immigration bill be a disaster?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Will this new immigration bill be a disaster?

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    sprite

I read somewhere that the average expat who decides to give up on living abroad usually does so within the first two years.

rafaelo

Ibarnon why would you say that the only ones taking advantages of CR are the Nicaraguans/Chinese/Colombians & Venezuelans?

Apart from the Chinese don’t they all have something in common?

like,they all speak Spanish, have strong bonds by just being a Latino, are neighbors countries & their food/tastes/humor & family traditions are very similar, so from my perspective its kind of reasonable you are seeing more an more of those nationalities coming to CR, in fact a “gringo” who does not integrate in the CR (or Latino) culture and learn their language is more out of place than a Columbia/Nicaraguan/Venezuelan is, in my opinion your comment is rude towards some nationalities.

I don’t and will never approve illegal immigration and I can somewhat understand your statement since we Latinos tend to be very “creatives” finding ways to avoid immigration formalities, but please be aware that Latin America integration is due this century, thank good because it is about time that we start to be able to defend and be proud of ourselves as Latinos.

I wish you come safe home & that you learned the positive side of the Latin culture and their language you will need it here in the US as well.

rafael

rafaelo

🙂 I read that too

rafaelo

I agree with Ibarnon on this, if the new draft get approved it will only punish those who are trying to obey the laws, I believe the middle class is the motor of the economy, many countries have benefit from good, working and honest emigrants, I hope they reconsider the amount needed it does not make sense to park 300K$ for five years for only one rentista Visa.

sumaSal

Today in AMCostaRica (conference on the future of Costa Rican real estate):

“Experts also said that a more strident immigration law, which would require U.S. rentistas to show at least $5,000 in income a month, was unlikely to further impact the housing market, even if passed in its current form.

“The majority of foreigners who come here are here for just a few months,” said Aleyda Bonilla, a member of the real estate association “Residents who come down here for development, in terms of real estate, are usually the rentistas who would be able to afford to pay $5,000 a month.””

ibarnon

<>

Don’t get me wrong, I did not mean this in a bad way. For me, if there’s loophole in the law and somebody takes advantage of it, then he is not breaking the law – the law IS broken. I’ve met quite a lot of parents here because of my kids going to school, quite a number of them are from other countries – Argentina, Chile, and those I mentioned. I think practically all of them have not applied for residency or pensionado but are here through other ways, child born here, married to a citizen, etc. Did they do anything wrong? Of course not.

With respect to those that are here via residency or pensionado, they are required to put in a certain amount of money into the economy. From what I see, they spend a lot of money here (I’d think at least $1500-2000 per month) and that money does help the economy here. So, I see CR benefiting from these residents much more than what they get from those that are not here with the residency/pensionado, purely from an economic standpoint. Now, with the proposed changes, all logical thinking would lead to the conclusion that it would practically stop all application for the residency program and greatly reduce those applying for the pensionado. Its definitely their prerogative to do this, but like I said, it defies logic.

union

Artist status residency can only be gotten for max 9 months to a year.

I heard another attorney in San Jose very much doubts the new law will go into effect for years and probably modified if it does. He says he thinks it is an over reaction to the influx from neighboring countries and they are accidentally throwing out North Americans with the bath water…

Let’s just hope it doesn’t happen.

Marcia

I plan to move to Costa Rica permanently within the next six months. My Social Security is $1,400 per mo. If I obtain my Pensionado residency will the proposed $2,000 per month be retroactive? In other words will I lose my residency status? I’ve read so much but nobody tells what the present income requirement is as of 12/2008. Is it still $600 per month or is it $2,00 per month? Thank you.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.