Will this new immigration bill be a disaster?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Will this new immigration bill be a disaster?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    sprite

I know a few expats who have been in CR since 2005 and do the Nicaragua weekend routine. As far as I can tell, they are not hard up for cash either. For whatever reason or reasons, they continue living this way. I suppose it could be a small aggravation after several years of taking four week end get-way trips. It is not cost prohibitve if several are taken as car trips to Nicaragua. I would plan a trip back to the States once a year anyway..perhaps two. It is not convenient to have to do it at specific times, though.

Tell me how you know that the authorities frown on this. Is it illegal? Is there talk about closing the borders completely to all but the wealthy while letting who knows how many illegal Nicaraguan workers in? This sounds like a major economic policy adjustment.
    Permitting cheap labor to enter the country illegally to compete with Costa Ricans for jobs which will be decreasing due to turning away foreigners who would bring investment and cash into the country doesn’t sound like a sane plan to me.

Edited on Nov 15, 2008 09:17

sumaSal

Quote “Where are all the RE agents here. How come they are not screaming bloody murder!”.

Probably they are looking for a new market in another country, many “realtors” are here working without any legal visa.

They are leaving “the sinking ship……” (just a guess)

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Why are the real estate agents not screaming about this?

First, lots of them are working illegally here and are not anxious to call attention to themselves. Remember, it’s virtually impossible for a foreigner to legally do work that a Costa Rican could do, and what Costa Rican couldn’t sell real estate? Half of them do now.

Second, the real estate agents, too, would like to focus on wealthy immigrants rather than those with marginal incomes. To draw an analogy with the auto industry, would you rather sell Cadillacs or Yugos?

Sprite, the risk associated with being a perpetual tourist who leaves the country every ninety days is that Immigration might one day enforce the spirit of the law (which is probably also the letter of the law) which limits ninety-day tourist visas to legitimate tourists. What fun it would be to try to return from your three-day jaunt to Nicaragua and find that you can’t re-enter Costa Rica long enough to pack your bags. Talk about being dispossessed . . . Clearly, Costa Rican law intends tourist visas for tourists and residency for de facto residents. Cross those lines and you’ll always be in jeopardy.

maravilla

Someone on another board told the tale of her neighbors being rounded up and deported (at their own expense) after being caught doing the perpetual tourist thing and getting some dubious stamps in their passport. I don’t know why anyone who owns land or a house in CR would want to take the chance of this happening, because once you’ve been deported, you ain’t setting foot in CR for ten years! Buh-bye life in Puravidaville!

sprite

“I don’t know why anyone who owns land or a house in CR would want to take the chance of this happening, because once you’ve been deported, you ain’t setting foot in CR for ten years! Buh-bye life in Puravidaville!”

Leaving only one option if you own property in CR, do not yet have pensionado status and do not have $300,000 spare cash laying around to use for residency status; try and sell the property or maintain it as a vacation home which can only be used for 3 months out of the year.

My social security will probably only be around $1700 per month. The wife’s will be much less. Are there any other ways one can deposit money with an accepted banking institution and set up some sort of financial instrument which would meet the requirements of the $4000 required for a couple to apply for pensionado status? I suppose I need to put this to my attorney in Costa Rica.

sumaSal

They take the chance because others encourage ´m to do the same as they do:

“you pay that guy $ 100, he takes care of the stamps, why go 3 days to Panama ?”.

And maybe like somebody else wrote here: you’ll get tired to go out 3 days every 90 days……

happygirl

At the present time the requirement for pensionados is $600 per month for the principal person (in our case my husband)and the spouse comes under that amount too. So, I am assuming that the $2000 they are probably going to raise it to would apply the same way. In other words it would be per couple. Correct me if I am wrong.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The current requirement for pensionado status is a guaranteed income of $600 per month for an individual or a married couple. Nothing I’ve read suggests that the proposed $2,000 monthly income requirement will apply to each individual, married or not. This is a different set-up than for rentista status in which the income requirement is applied to each individual person.

I know of one instance in which an American couple purchased a lifetime annuity from an internationally recognized annuity company, got the necessary verifications, submitted a copy of the prospectus and annual report to Migracion, and were granted pensionado status. A pensionado’s income does not have to be derived from Social Security. Ours was based solely upon verification of my pension from the State of Michigan.

The requirement is that it be a guaranteed lifetime income and that it come from a reliable, credible source. My guess is that an income derived from (say) rental of property in the U.S. or income from a privately held mortgage would not qualify.

scottbenson

Boy Maravilla,

You really know how to take advantage of CR don’t you

“permanent residency status under the artist category, and in May i am eligible for PR no matter what, but this is extremely stressful thinking about whether i even want to live in CR now. And who gave Arias the orders to keep poor pensionados out of CR?”

I think this law is aimed for people just like you and this is why the average Tico is upset of people like you. I think CR doesnt need any more artist!

And yes Arias has the right to give the orders he is the president of CR! You are not!

Edited on Nov 16, 2008 07:32

maravilla

How am I taking advantage of Costa Rica, Scott? You don’t even know what it is I do, but trust me, I would qualify as an “artist” under the immigration regulations in a heartbeat! Why would the average Tico be upset with me being an artist? Are there artists flocking in droves to Costa Rica and then doing what?? And how is applying for permanent residency under this category any worse or better than applying under any of the other categories? It’s all a moot point, really, as I am entitled to permanent residency status next spring under the terms of the pensionado program, so what exactly is your beef this time?

sumaSal

I have a CR-company, wrote a book, painted the walls of my house in 3 different colours, won the karaoke-contest in the local cantina and just burned a CD……

Would like to know if I can qualify for artis ?

maravilla

No, I doubt you would qualify. Why do you have to be so snide? If you knew what I did, you wouldn’t be so quick to criticize. Sheesh.

scottbenson

This is a prime example of using the sytem to benifit only yourself. Could you do the same work in the states and export your work to Costa Rica? Do you think there are many Ticos that can do the same job that you do?

I belive that you are just looking out for your own self and can’t see the bigger picture. You will probley use the medical service that CR offers?

Costa Rica is a small country and if you really think about it you are doing more damage than good. Up to this point have you been working and employing a Costa Rican for your biz paying them the same wages that you would if they were in the states? Are you a purpetural trouist?

Edited on Nov 16, 2008 09:31

maravilla

I already have residency status, Mr. Benson! You really need to stop making such assinine assumptions. I’m taking advantage of nothing, except what I am legally entitled to under the immigration laws of Costa Rica. And yes, I do have a CR company that is ready to gear up anytime I have a massive project to do if I wanted to do it in Costa Rica. My work will be exported all over the world next year. As for using the medical system, I have not yet signed up for CAJA but I will, but since I will undoubtedly pay more into it than I will ever use I don’t see how you can derive such a conclusion that I will be taking advantage of that as well. Your statement that I am doing more damage than good is completely stupid and baseless. On what do you make that assumption?

aguirrewar

You people are being to harsh with Maravilla.

Why would it matter how she/he got residency is it was legal? How about the Nicaraguan’s and Colonbian’s and others. They come illegaly and stay underground. They owe no property or car’s, so they pay nothing.

It is up to the government of CR and Maravilla to arrange and settle their legal matters and not forum members.

Warren

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.