Why Bash US at every chance

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Why Bash US at every chance

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    vegasknite

I tried this post before and it was removed without any reason given to me if it is removed again please explain how I am violating the terms of service agreement.

I just want to know why in so many strings posted on this forum they turn to the US issues. Why can’t we stay on point when it starts out about Costa Rica. I am here to learn about Costa Rica living real estate laws people and so on. I know all about the US the US government laws real estate and so on. This is WLCR not I hate the US so show Costa Rica love and explain what it is about Costa Rica you love. I’ll add more if this string is allowed and grows.

jd

I agree. I’m so tired of reading about people bashing and complaining about the US government. If you are living in Costa Rica already, then be thankful and get on with your new life. If you are still in the US, then stay there because Costa Rica doesn’t need to filled with whiners and complainers. Bashing and complaining just feeds negativity and who wants to be around those kinds of people.

kimyoa650

I am glad somebody pointed that out. I’ve noticed quite a few posts that just bashes everything about the US. I don’t mind this coming from other nationals, I attribute this to misinformation/generalization. However, when I hear it from fellow citizens, it just doesn’t sound right.

namvet

Great post! We use this forum to help us learn about Costa Rica. We are well aware of the good and bad about the US.(There are a lot of good things too!) To the best of my knowledge the line waiting to get into the US is a lot longer than the line waiting to get out! If and when we decide to move to Costa Rica hopefully we will not be obseessed with the past and can look ahead to the future and enjoy.

vegasknite

I want to thank all of you for joining in this string. I knew my feelings weren’t unfounded or just me seeing it that way. I am not here to bash Costa Rica in any way I am relocating there very shortly and I want to learn as much as I can from other ex pats that are living there currently. Whether they came from Europe Canada or the US and even from Tico’s that read this. I also don’t wish to attack this site or other members because like me most of you post good honest information whether fact or opinion based on your experiences. I do wish to keep the US bashing where it belongs on a string that starts out about the US. This way I can skip them if I choose to or jump in if I prefer.

Special shout out to you namvet thanks for your sacrafice and service.

Please all other members please give your opinions even if you disagree so we can beat this to death and move forward with Costa Rican living and loving.

Alfred

America is my birthplace. It’s where I now live. It has given me opportunities far beyond what I deserved. When my grandfather arrived on these shores all alone at 16, he came here with little else other than hope. A hope and a perseverance that allowed him raised five children and allow me to continue to receive the blessings this land had to offer.
    I plead guilty to sometimes being hard on the US. It’s not out of hatred for this country I say these things, but out of a sincere feeling that we have begun to squander our good fortune. I have, and I’m sure others have too, seen the changes in America over the past 40 years or so. It’s a hard thing to watch the future of this country somehow be in question. Our children will may not have as good a life as we had and their children may even have less. I’ve beefed about taxes, big business, the inability to retire here and the disappearance of the American dream. These are some of the things that concern me greatly.
    Some people on this forum have said people like me are running away from America. I say I’m not running away from America, I’m running towards Costa Rica.

I can’t say why others bash the US. But it is their privilege to do so. I will not make excuses or apologies for what I say. They are my thoughts alone, and I call it as I see it. The freedom to express our ideas, opinions and beliefs is not a uniquely American one, but it is one of our rights, and possibly our greatest strength in the challenges we face ahead.

My original post here was also lost. It was much shorter than this and after some thought I decided to elaborate.

OTTFOG

Thanks for your posts. My reading and participation in the Forum has decreased significantly due to the continual and unnecessary US bashing and conspiracy crap. It has amazed me how often innocuous posts about Costa Rica inevitably turn to US Bashing. I hope that the anger and bad attitudes about the US aren’t reflective of the typical Gringo living in Costa Rica…

namvet

Alfred…you are certainly correct about our right to be able to express our ideas, beliefs and opinions. One right you forgot to mention is that we all have the right to leave (and move to Costa Rica!!!)

I too have a great number of things that I feel are wrong here in the US. But….I choose to express them in places other than the “We Love Costa Rica” site. Hopefully this site will remain a source of information about Costa Rica and not a soapbox for unhappy Americans to bitch about the US.

Sadly enough, a lot of the people who complain the loudest won’t be happy any place they live!!

vegasknite

I echo namvets post I have the same feelings as both Alfred namvet and OTTFOG we all agree we have issues with the US but we are here to discuss costa rica. Our heads aren’t in the sand about the US it’s just we want to read post and discuss issues related to CR in the posts about CR. If we want to discuss US issues on here we can start a string related to that/those issues. Not to keep repeating myself or my fellow members here but we are here for Costa Rica information. Yes there are unhappy people as it was stated that will never be happy unless they are bashing the US and I doubt if they are even happy then.

But hey fellow members join in this string with your thoughts this is a string that you can bash the US if you desire to without taking away from a point or topic related to Costa Rica.

One last thing I believe and know; I believe most of the people on here Love Costa Rica I know I Love Costa Rica.

While many may never relocate there and some may never even visit some of us will move there and some will continue to visit on a regular basis so allow us the oppertunity to learn and teach on here.

Also let’s not forget this site requires work and maintenance. This is done by Scott Oliver and maybe some others he deals with so we need to be loyal to him and buy stuff sold here at the very least & interview his recommendations so he can earn a living for his hard work. Scott didn’t ask me to say that he didn’t know I was going to say it and may not even like that I said it but if you use this site as a way to learn remember Scott is the reason it is here. Thank you Mr. Oliver.

I TYPE TERRIBLY AND SPELL WORSE I HARDLY EVER USE PUNCTUATION SO PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR THAT BUT GET THE MEANING OF MY WORDS BECAUSE THAT IS WHY I TAKE THE TIME AND PUT FOURTH THE EFFORT.
    Thank you,
    Steve

Edited on Jan 26, 2007 22:49

GringoTico

While I agree we should all try to minimize our vitriols, if we refrain from expressing the negatives, we turn this forum into a travel site. There are already plenty of those.

In WeLoveCostaRica Scott Oliver has allowed us to offer real education to its visitors, helping them to make much more informed choices, as well as to avoid the many pitfalls which can turn a life-long dream into a never-ending nightmare.

It is exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, to properly explain life as it is in Costa Rica to a newbie without comparing it to that with which they are already familiar. Such comparisons inevitably involve the words “better” or “worse”. As such, to not bash is to not properly inform.

We’re all big enough to know when an educational comparison morphs into a political rant. We don’t need Scott to shield us from this “damaging” content (like TASS did, oops! Oh well, not too many Russians on this site I imagine).

Furthermore, for some people the choice to move to Costa Rica may be a profoundly political one. Even if it’s not, simply living there for any period of time, or anywhere outside your country of birth for that matter, inevitably results in some political reflection. This is a good thing.

To put it in simple terms, if you never leave your house, you’ll never know what color it’s painted. When you live overseas, you are given a chance to view your own country in a different light. If you remove the political implications, you dumb down.

A typical example is when I wrote that attorneys had cornered the market in Costa Rica. Scott replied with a post, later removed, that talked about how legal liability cases have contorted our way of life in the U.S. I think he is absolutely correct, and is properly pointing out that “Lawsuits Gone Wild” is a greater evil than having to pay legal fees when you sell a car. We both bashed, and we both came away from it with a greater appreciation of the big picture.

Wherever you hail from, I’m sure you believe in the benefits of freedom of speech. If you don’t like the content or the author, you can choose not to read it.

vegasknite

well GringoTico: another great informative post from you. I don’t think anyone has an issue of some comparisons and even some bashing where it is necessary or pertanant. I am sure every poster thus far in this string including myself have compared and bashed as well as wrote about pitfalls we know of Costa Rica.

I believe you have rolled many of my feelings and maybe even those of other’s with your post.

I have been guided and learned from reading your posts on this forum many times. I also know you jump in on many strings to help answer a concern or question that has been asked in your always caring way. So I tip my hat to you again for a clear honest and on point post as you have done so many times in the past and I hope you will in the future.

As a side note I click on some strings that I have no real interest in just to read what you had to say on the subject and I have never been disappointed. Kuddos

dkt2u

I too took a pretty long break from this forum because it had turned into a “bash the US” forum. As some of you pointed out, much of the bashing was almost totally unrelated to the particular thread that had been started. I just got through posting something similar on the old “why are you leaving the US” thread, so please allow me to repeat myself here. I think those that move here and are continually bashing the US are not experiencing the Pura Vida they so easily throw out as what they love about Costa Rica. You can not be experiencing Pura Vida and have that much hatred in you. It is sad that so many I have seen on this forum move here and then immediately start critisizing other expats because they are not fitting into what they think they should. They critisize their life style, what type of house they want to build, how much money they are spending and what they are spending it on. Seems pretty hypocritical to say you left the US because you didn’t agree with those in power telling or making you do things you believed you wanted to do different and then coming here and doing the same to others.

Alfred

Well, here’s an interesting tidbit as reported in today’s inside Costa Rica. Com. This is all according to International Living magazine. I think it’s published in Ireland. It is about top places in the world to live
    The criteria was,cost of living, culture and entertainment, economy, environment, freedom, health, infrastructure, security and climate.
    Costa Rica ranks 43rd in the world’s best places to live. France comes in at “numero uno” for the second year in a row….caught me by surprise. The United States, it looks like, has a 5th place rating. It goes on to say Costa Rica ranks in the top 20 for traffic accidents. ICR.com also editorializes by saying if there had been a category for the country with the worst roads, Costa Rica Would place 1st.

There could be a reality check somewhere in there.

maravilla

some of you make ann coulter look like a bra-burning liberal extremist, but i´ll bet not a one of you has her legs. i guess none of you mind that our presidency was hijakced (rule number one of fascism) and then the results were determined by a judicial body (number two rule of fascism), or that we invaded a country for no damn good reason except oil, since it was proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was zero-nada-zip connection between hussein and al qaeda, not to mention the nonexistence of wmds. guess the fact that habeas corpus doesn´t exist, or that you can disappear in our country never to be seen again, or have your house searched without your knowledge, in general, our basic civil rights have been stripped away, all in the name of terrorism, from which we are no safer now than we were before 9-11. we have unsecure ports, unsecure nuclear facilities, unsecure refineries. in short, the entire administraion is run by a bunch of power hungry war mongers who are incapable of doing anything to protect our citizenry from the threat of terrorism but will do anything to further global conquest. nah, those aren´t good reasons to get the hell out of the US. as for iraq, we´ll be there for the next 20 years, because it wouldn´t benefit us to leave, meanwhile we are sacrificing our young soldiers like pigs in a slaughter house, and i suppose the 100,000 innocent iraqis — men, women, and children — who died so we can all guzzle up the oil supply with our obscenely large hummers and other suvs doesn´t matter either. i chose costa rica because there is no standing army and people aren´t forcefed paranoia and fear every day of their lives. i will NOT support this war anymore than i supported the illegal war in southeast asia, but i suppose that most of you think that war criminal henry kissinger was a great statesman. what fine fascist soldiers you make, parroting the propganda that is thrown at us 24-7, instilling fear of everything until we don´t even know what we´re really afraid of anymore. i´m sure i`ve given you all enough fodder to compose a long litany of insults, which i can´t wait to read because i´m having a dinner party in a couple of weeks which will be attended by a couple of journalists and lord knows we need a good laugh!!! oh, and now that i´m living in costa rica, i rarely if ever check this board because i am too busy living pura vida.

Alfred

Dear Maravilla, I maybe one of the few conservatives who actually doesn’t fly off the handle when you post. You brought up some very good points. Let me say first though, we invaded Iraq with the supposition of WMDs. Hussein was not complying with UN resolution for site inspections for these weapons. If you remember he threw out the inspectors. Colin Powell pleaded the case to the UN security council, I believe. We went in with a coalition of the willing to enforce the UN resolution. We did not find WMDs, but it does not mean they didn’t exist, and possibly, could have been spirited out of the country. We acted on information we had at the time concerning the existence of WMDs. Good or bad, we have to take these reasons at face value. I happen not to subscribe to conspiracy theories.
    You bring up the point of Hussein’s involvement with al qaeda. I don’t remember hearing that this was a reason for invading Iraq. It was the UN resolution noncompliance with inspections for WMDs that brought this on.
    As far as the US being in Iraq for 20 years, I hope not. The Iraqi’s have a right to govern themselves and we should exit as quickly as possible. The US soldiers and Innocent Iraqi’s that have been wounded or killed, is a true tragedy. But now that the situation has gotten as bad as it has, we cannot pull out and leave sectarian violence to rule in place of law.

With regard to our rights being diminished, you have a valid point. Some see it that way too, others see it as a reasonable effort to protect American citizens. I don’t like my rights being taken away anymore than you.
    Do we have unprotected borders, refineries, nuclear power plants and ports? I have to agree.
    Do we have an insatiable appetite for oil? I think so. Any country with a standard of living as we have would most likely develop the same appetite and driving habits.
    Did the president steal the election and usher in fascism? I don’t believe so. The votes were recounted in Florida and I believe we had a legal decision. Some may disagree and that is their right. If the election had gone the other way, maybe voices on the other side would say the same things.

Costa Rica’s army was disbanded by, I believe, Don Pepe. He did this in order to prevent the military from overtaking the government again. Not to prevent them from invading other countries, if I’m understanding your statement properly. Costa Rica has enjoyed peace, relative prosperity and security since then. Now don’t jump all over me on this, but, in this new world in which we find ourselves, not having an army or military may not be such a good thing. If Costa Rica found herself in a desperate situation, without an army, I believe the USA would come to it’s defense. At least I would hope so. I don’t know if you agree with that or not. In a perfect world no country would ever need an army. But we do not live in such a world, and it seems to be getting less perfect every day.

Speaking for myself, I don’t think I am a parroting fascist soldier. There are things about the USA I love, and other things disturb me greatly. As I have said before, I call it as I see it. Not everyone will agree, and quite frankly, I don’t care. I’m happy being me.
    Also, I have seen Ann Coulter’s legs. A bit to skinny for me. On the other hand, mine, I don’t think, are all that bad.

If I missed covering any of the points in your post, I’m sure others will.

Have a good time while in CR, enjoy your dinner party and Pura Vida!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.