Which 4×4 is best car for Costa Rica????

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Which 4×4 is best car for Costa Rica????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    delucajmj

I’m going crazy comparing 4×4 vehicles trying to decide what to buy and ship down when we move next year. Can someone already living in CR tell me what you drive and what do you recommend? I need something that seats 6 or 7. Help! (and thanks)
    Terri

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You see mostly Asian-made 4×4 SUVs here — lots of Hyundais, Toyotas, Nissans, Mitsubishis, etc.

If your need is to seat six or seven, then your choices among Asian SUVs to buy in the U.S. are pretty limited. We owned a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder in the U.S. and it was great. It’s main competition was the Toyota Sierra (Sienna?). I think either would be a safe bet, but be sure to bring lots of money, as either will hog gas like you’ve never seen it hogged before, and fuel is expensive here.

Hyundai makes a pretty nice van that’s available here with a diesel engine but I don’t think I’ve seen a 4×4. I could be wrong.

Question: Do you really need 4-wheel drive? If not, a van might be a good alternative, but I wouldn’t bring a U.S. van, 4×4 or 2×4.

Our current vehicle, a 2006 Hyundai Terracan 2.9 liter diesel, has been perfect, but the two rearmost seats are only fit for double leg amputees. We threw ’em out. So it’s really a five-seater. The Mitsubishi Monteros are larger than our Terracan but I don’t know if they’ll really seat seven.

delucajmj

Okay. I thought I “needed” a 4×4 in Costa Rica. We have purchased land in the Orosi valley where it rains 160 inches a year and roads get washed out. I think I probably need a 4×4. Maybe I’m wrong. It certainly would save me money to not have to buy a 4×4. Not to mention as you said, gas mileage. Would you kindly tell me why you would not buy a car in the US and ship it down? I just read another post on this site that says the cars down there are not built up to US safey standards and are mostly wrecked and repaired AND the odometers are pushed back considerably. So, please, I would love to hear why you say NOT to bring our own vehicle down to CR. Thank you so much. I value your input. Terri

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Last winter we got over fifteen feet (180 inches) of rain at a nearby friend’s house here in Grecia, but we had no roads washed out, etc. Ours Terracan is, in fact, a four-wheel drive with a low range rear end, but the number of times I’ve actually had it in four-wheel drive I could count on the fingers of one hand. And those have been times when I was pulling somebody out of someplace they didnt’ belong, not when I was trying to get through myself. I’m not familiar with conditions in the Orosi Valley, so your needs may be much different than ours.

If I had it to do again, I WOULD import a car from the U.S. The argument about safety standards, being able to trace the vehicle’s history, knowing its true mileage, etc is a compelling one. The problem you face is finding something that’ll haul seven people (and you’ve not mentioned luggage yet). If that’s your need, then your options are very limited regardless of where you buy the vehicle and regardless of it’s drivetrain characteristics.

We moved to Costa Rica from a beach community in northeast North Carolina. There, everyone drives a 4×4 on the beach. Before four-wheel drive became common, however, folks used to drive their vans and pickups on the beach without much trouble, so do they really need 4×4 now, or do they just drive them because they’re available? I dunno . . .

jafranz

If you are really strapped for $ why go through the hassle and pain to have a car shipped here. I moved here 3 years ago and purchased a 4X4 Hyundia Galloper and wouldn’t sell it for the world. Yesfuel consumption is important but rarely will you go far enough to be spending a lot of money on fuel. Contact Russ Martin for help to purchase a used vehicle. He and Kattia helped me and it was a very easy experience.

albertoB

We have been driving a Honda Oddessey? van here for three years and so far have only changed oil, brakes and tires. The roads are hard on vehicles but the Hondas have a good reputation for reliability and resale. Wewill be buying a Honda Pilot because it seats eight. More than the van.
    It is four wheel drive but not the full transfer case type. Thats all you’ll likely ever need here, just added traction in slippery or steep terrain..

It has the same V6 engine we have in the van so fuel has been reasonable. Lots of power and very comfortable.

Alberto

hrichards

The best truck here in costa rica.. is

the mercedes Gwagon. ..

DavidCMurray
    Participant

albertoB, the Honda Pilot will really seat eight adults??

grb1063

Stick with Toyota or Hyundai. The large SUV versions in both can carry 7. They are by far the easiest to get parts for and even small town mechanics can fix them becuase they are ubiquitous in CR. A mercedes is extremely dependable, but expensive to fix and very expensive to buy in CR. The best vehcile I have had in CR is the Toyota Hi-Lux Pick-up with 3.0L diesel and quad cab. The same engine comes in the Prado.

delucajmj

Have you honestly had to use your 4wd to the extent that we should invest in one?

albertoB

David, two, three and three.
    The Honda Pilot will fit three six-foot persons in the third row. The knee space was Ok but the floor height was higher than comfortable with long legs. Three average Ticos can fit there no problem.
    Alberto

grb1063

If you don’t have a 4X4 in CR (outside the central valley) during the rainy season you will likely find yourself stranded when the roads turn to rivers.

Truth2008

I think that when considering a 4×4 you need to consider availability of parts and service. (that also includes used parts)

I own a 2001 Hyundai Galloper Turbo intercooler Deisel and a 1995 Mitsubishi Montero Gasoline.

Both are VERY easy to get parts for and both run well.

I used the 4×4 at least twice a week, we love exploring back roads in the countryside.

The Galloper as a Deisel is cheaper to operate but was more expensive to purchase.
    Maint is a bit more expensive and more frequent due to the turbo intercooler.

The Montero is a dream to drive, there are about a bizillion of them here in the country so parts are readily available. Mileage is a bit worse that the Galloper but it was cheaper to purchase.

If I had to keep only one……..

………..Montero

DavidCMurray
    Participant

What is the maintenance you’ve had to do on your intercooled turbo diesel Galloper, Truth? We have a 2006 Terracan with an intercooled turbo diesel and have done nothing but change fluids and filters. Am I missing something?

dominique

Hi I’m glad someone else brought up this question. My husband and I just purchased a 2008 Ford Explorer (wanted a toyota FJ but the prices for Ford were just too good to be true!) so that we could drive from Mississippi to Costa Rica. Anywho, last time I was there I saw a few Fords on the road, does anyone on this forum have one? Can you tell me what repairs & parts costs are like?

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.