When do we run?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum When do we run?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    sprite

The U.S. is going to “deploy” 20,000 battle hardened troops WITHIN the U.S.
    The army’s 3rd infantry division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team may be called upon to help with civil unrest HERE in the States.
    http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/combatbrigade_100208.html

It is hard to say when this civil unrest MIGHT begin, but I think all we need to do is watch the daily news for the first big city riots. Any time shortly thereafter might be a great time to pull the plug here and bug out for Costa Rica before travel becomes difficult to impossible for a number of obvious reasons.

maravilla

When do we run??? NOW!! Or yesterday.

sprite

I always wondered why more jews didn’t leave Germany before 1939 when they saw what was coming at them. I don’t believe anything resembling that will happen here but now I see how difficult it is to make major life changes quickly after a certain age. My plans to move to CR have been made and then broken and then re-made. The world is moving at a faster pace now and is more uncertain than ever before.

Perhaps the domestic military deployment is nothing to be concerned about from my perspective. Perhaps an epic depression will not come to pass and happy days will return in several years. I am looking hard for stories and evidence that back up that rosey future but so far, I haven’t found anything credible.

*Lotus

From things I have read they never thought it could happen in Germany, a civil, educated society. Jews had fought for Germany during WW 1, were war heroes an integral part of society…they were German. Anything can happen history shows this I hope history isn’t repeating itself.

countdown

Please. “America’s Last Real Newspaper” (nice self aggrandizement) reports that the U.S. lists active troops as “an on-call federal response force for natural or manmade emergencies and disasters, including terrorist attacks.” Not news. This has always been the case, whether they’re returned from Iraq, South Korea, or never saw action.

Difficult to tell whether the tabloids are feeding the readers or the other way around.

As Chicken Little says….”the sky is falling”.

Alfred

Here’s the article.

U.S. MILITARY PREPARING FOR DOMESTIC DISTURBANCES
    BY JIM MEYERS

Posted On: December 24th, 2008

A new report from the U.S. Army War College discusses the use of American troops to quell civil unrest brought about by a worsening economic crisis.

The report from the War College’s Strategic Studies Institute warns that the U.S. military must prepare for a “violent, strategic dislocation inside the United States” that could be provoked by “unforeseen economic collapse” or “loss of functioning political and legal order.”

Entitled “Known Unknowns: Unconventional ‘Strategic Shocks’ in Defense Strategy Development,” the report was produced by Nathan Freier, a recently retired Army lieutenant colonel who is a professor at the college — the Army’s main training institute for prospective senior officers.

He writes: “To the extent events like this involve organized violence against local, state, and national authorities and exceed the capacity of the former two to restore public order and protect vulnerable populations, DoD [Department of Defense] would be required to fill the gap.”

Freier continues: “Widespread civil violence inside the United States would force the defense establishment to reorient priorities in extremis to defend basic domestic order … An American government and defense establishment lulled into complacency by a long-secure domestic order would be forced to rapidly divest some or most external security commitments in order to address rapidly expanding human insecurity at home.”

International Monetary Fund Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn warned last week of riots and unrest in global markets if the ongoing financial crisis is not addressed and lower-income households are beset with credit constraints and rising unemployment, the Phoenix Business Journal reported.

Sen. James Inhofe of Oklahoma and Rep. Brad Sherman of California disclosed that Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson discussed a worst-case scenario as he pushed the Wall Street bailout in September, and said that scenario might even require a declaration of martial law.

The Army College report states: “DoD might be forced by circumstances to put its broad resources at the disposal of civil authorities to contain and reverse violent threats to domestic tranquility. Under the most extreme circumstances, this might include use of military force against hostile groups inside the United States.

“Further, DoD would be, by necessity, an essential enabling hub for the continuity of political authority in a multi-state or nationwide civil conflict or disturbance.”

He concludes this section of the report by observing: “DoD is already challenged by stabilization abroad. Imagine the challenges associated with doing so on a massive scale at home.”

As Newsmax reported earlier, the Defense Department has made plans to deploy 20,000 troops nationwide by 2011 to help state and local officials respond to emergencies.

The 130-year-old Posse Comitatus Act restricts the military’s role in domestic law enforcement. But a 1994 Defense Department Directive allows military commanders to take emergency actions in domestic situations to save lives, prevent suffering or mitigate great property damage, according to the Business Journal.

And Gen. Tommy Franks, who led the U.S. military operations to liberate Iraq, said in a 2003 interview that if the U.S. is attacked with a weapon of mass destruction, the Constitution will likely be discarded in favor of a military form of government.

http://www.republicbroadcasting.org/index.php?cmd=news.article&articleID=2830

Alfred

Here is another jolly piece of info.

We’ coming apart
    DECEMBER 29, 2008, 1:54 P.M. ET
    As if Things Weren’t Bad Enough, Russian Professor Predicts End of U.S.

In Moscow, Igor Panarin’s Forecasts Are All the Rage; America ‘Disintegrates’ in 2010

Article
    Comments
    more in World »
    By ANDREW OSBORN

MOSCOW — For a decade, Russian academic Igor Panarin has been predicting the U.S. will fall apart in 2010. For most of that time, he admits, few took his argument — that an economic and moral collapse will trigger a civil war and the eventual breakup of the U.S. — very seriously. Now he’s found an eager audience: Russian state media.

Igor Panarin

In recent weeks, he’s been interviewed as much as twice a day about his predictions. “It’s a record,” says Prof. Panarin. “But I think the attention is going to grow even stronger.”

Prof. Panarin, 50 years old, is not a fringe figure. A former KGB analyst, he is dean of the Russian Foreign Ministry’s academy for future diplomats. He is invited to Kremlin receptions, lectures students, publishes books, and appears in the media as an expert on U.S.-Russia relations.

But it’s his bleak forecast for the U.S. that is music to the ears of the Kremlin, which in recent years has blamed Washington for everything from instability in the Middle East to the global financial crisis. Mr. Panarin’s views also fit neatly with the Kremlin’s narrative that Russia is returning to its rightful place on the world stage after the weakness of the 1990s, when many feared that the country would go economically and politically bankrupt and break into separate territories.

A polite and cheerful man with a buzz cut, Mr. Panarin insists he does not dislike Americans. But he warns that the outlook for them is dire.

“There’s a 55-45% chance right now that disintegration will occur,” he says. “One could rejoice in that process,” he adds, poker-faced. “But if we’re talking reasonably, it’s not the best scenario — for Russia.” Though Russia would become more powerful on the global stage, he says, its economy would suffer because it currently depends heavily on the dollar and on trade with the U.S.

Mr. Panarin posits, in brief, that mass immigration, economic decline, and moral degradation will trigger a civil war next fall and the collapse of the dollar. Around the end of June 2010, or early July, he says, the U.S. will break into six pieces — with Alaska reverting to Russian control.

In addition to increasing coverage in state media, which are tightly controlled by the Kremlin, Mr. Panarin’s ideas are now being widely discussed among local experts. He presented his theory at a recent roundtable discussion at the Foreign Ministry. The country’s top international relations school has hosted him as a keynote speaker. During an appearance on the state TV channel Rossiya, the station cut between his comments and TV footage of lines at soup kitchens and crowds of homeless people in the U.S. The professor has also been featured on the Kremlin’s English-language propaganda channel, Russia Today.

Mr. Panarin’s apocalyptic vision “reflects a very pronounced degree of anti-Americanism in Russia today,” says Vladimir Pozner, a prominent TV journalist in Russia. “It’s much stronger than it was in the Soviet Union”

Mr. Pozner and other Russian commentators and experts on the U.S. dismiss Mr. Panarin’s predictions. “Crazy ideas are not usually discussed by serious people,” says Sergei Rogov, director of the government-run Institute for U.S. and Canadian Studies, who thinks Mr. Panarin’s theories don’t hold water.

Mr. Panarin’s résumé includes many years in the Soviet KGB, an experience shared by other top Russian officials. His office, in downtown Moscow, shows his national pride, with pennants on the wall bearing the emblem of the FSB, the KGB’s successor agency. It is also full of statuettes of eagles; a double-headed eagle was the symbol of czarist Russia.

The professor says he began his career in the KGB in 1976. In post-Soviet Russia, he got a doctorate in political science, studied U.S. economics, and worked for FAPSI, then the Russian equivalent of the U.S. National Security Agency. He says he did strategy forecasts for then-President Boris Yeltsin, adding that the details are “classified.”

In September 1998, he attended a conference in Linz, Austria, devoted to information warfare, the use of data to get an edge over a rival. It was there, in front of 400 fellow delegates, that he first presented his theory about the collapse of the U.S. in 2010.

“When I pushed the button on my computer and the map of the United States disintegrated, hundreds of people cried out in surprise,” he remembers. He says most in the audience were skeptical. “They didn’t believe me.”

At the end of the presentation, he says many delegates asked him to autograph copies of the map showing a dismembered U.S.

He based the forecast on classified data supplied to him by FAPSI analysts, he says. He predicts that economic, financial and demographic trends will provoke a political and social crisis in the U.S. When the going gets tough, he says, wealthier states will withhold funds from the federal government and effectively secede from the union. Social unrest up to and including a civil war will follow. The U.S. will then split along ethnic lines, and foreign powers will move in.

California will form the nucleus of what he calls “The Californian Republic,” and will be part of China or under Chinese influence. Texas will be the heart of “The Texas Republic,” a cluster of states that will go to Mexico or fall under Mexican influence. Washington, D.C., and New York will be part of an “Atlantic America” that may join the European Union. Canada will grab a group of Northern states Prof. Panarin calls “The Central North American Republic.” Hawaii, he suggests, will be a protectorate of Japan or China, and Alaska will be subsumed into Russia.

“It would be reasonable for Russia to lay claim to Alaska; it was part of the Russian Empire for a long time.” A framed satellite image of the Bering Strait that separates Alaska from Russia like a thread hangs from his office wall. “It’s not there for no reason,” he says with a sly grin.

Interest in his forecast revived this fall when he published an article in Izvestia, one of Russia’s biggest national dailies. In it, he reiterated his theory, called U.S. foreign debt “a pyramid scheme,” and predicted China and Russia would usurp Washington’s role as a global financial regulator.

Americans hope President-elect Barack Obama “can work miracles,” he wrote. “But when spring comes, it will be clear that there are no miracles.”

The article prompted a question about the White House’s reaction to Prof. Panarin’s forecast at a December news conference. “I’ll have to decline to comment,” spokeswoman Dana Perino said amid much laughter.

For Prof. Panarin, Ms. Perino’s response was significant. “The way the answer was phrased was an indication that my views are being listened to very carefully,” he says.

The professor says he’s convinced that people are taking his theory more seriously. People like him have forecast similar cataclysms before, he says, and been right. He cites French political scientist Emmanuel Todd. Mr. Todd is famous for having rightly forecast the demise of the Soviet Union — 15 years beforehand. “When he forecast the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1976, people laughed at him,” says Prof. Panarin.

grb1063

Unfortunately, those “on-call federal response force for natural or manmade emergencies and disasters, including terrorist attacks” are from Ft. Benning, GA have done several tours in Iraq and are used to HumVees, Bradleys, Abrams, artillery, RPG’s, etc. One soldier from that division, now stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA stated “these are hardened, trigger happy combat troops that would shoot first and sort it out later”. Rarely in the history of the US have other than National Guard troops been utilized for domestic purposes.

Imxploring
    Participant

Have no fear folks… if they use these troops as successfully as they did in dealing with Katrina…. we’re all fine! And remember… if Uncle Sam uses the troops on Americans in other than some type of natural disaster… they’ll be quite a few firing back at the boys unfortunatly! You have to love the Constitution! All part of the checks and balances between government and the people that the framers saw, over 200 years ago! Besides, there’s enough firepower in many parts of the US that Iraq will look like a cake walk should Uncle Sam take on his own people!

While I feel that the US is headed for some major pain… the idea that troops will be used in some type of action against the public unlikely. Both legally and technically it’s a tough idea to sell.

Imxploring
    Participant

And come to think of it…. I see quite a few VERY pro-Obama names here in this thread…. how could any of you think your boy would be part of this? If W didn’t try it… how could you even consider Mr O as being part of this type of action against the people…. or perhaps this is the “change” he was selling?? LOL 😉

sprite

While the Constitution doesn’t bar the use of military forces in civilian matters, the Posse Comitatus Act attempts to limit the use to vaguely defined legitimate issues.
    http://ftp.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RS22266.pdf
    In other words, we are in deep doo doo.

Obama was the lessor of two evils for many, many Americans. I never considered him a savior. No such person nor legal document exists which could turn this country around in the right direction again. Only a broad, enlightened population could ever have done that. That population has not existed for at least several decades.

sprite

Imxploring,
    You can’t really believe that a bunch of beer bellied, gun toting rabbit hunters could possibly be a match against a modern army. In the first place, most of them don’ know anything about the constitution beyond the 2nd ammendment and so far have not shown any concern about the loss of some of their other rights. Who do you think voted for president Dumb-ass….two times?

And secondly, most of them would be so mesmerized by all the shiny automatic weapons and uniforms, they would probably be too busy saluting the amercan flag patches to notice the bayonets in their faces.

As for your first point, it doesn’t take any organizational skills to employ the tactics of killing, maimimg and breaking things in order to instill fear into Americans. Hell, we deficate in our pants when Bush puts up an orange alert. Imagine what cowering sheep we will become when a tank is put on every corner of a major city?

Edited on Dec 30, 2008 04:37

sprite

Countdown,
    What an appropriate nick name you have for this thread, huh? I like it.

“HUHN WENIG” is how the web translates “Chicken Little” into German. I wonder how many Jews in Munich in 1939 were using that phrase to mock their fellow citizens of Jewish origin who were vacating the country in fear?

You may be correct. Who knows? Looking back, we may see this whole episode as a minor business cycle which passed quickly. I hope that is the case. In the meantime, I think I will consider alternatives.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Isn’t this site about living in Costa Rica?

sprite

I go by the title of the web site “We Love Costa Rica” to determine what the site is about. A legitimate topic might be why we love Costa Rica and what led us to that love.

One of the topics of this site, as far as I can tell, is an interest in the reasons people move to Costa Rica. Economics, politics, cultural aspects, environment…there are lots of reasons why people move to Costa Rica. Some of those reasons may be good ones, others not so good. Either way, it all falls under why we love the place and what moved us to that love.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.