Tremors

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Tremors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    jamesgoshen4

I have spoken to my parents who reside in the Guapiles area. They have reported that there has been quite a few earthquakes tremors that have been experienced. Any one else out there have any comments?

orcas0606
    Participant

Not surprising. I read somewhere that Costa Rica is the world’s # 1 country in volcanic activity.

Andrew
    Keymaster

The Observatorio Vulcanológico y Sismológico de Costa Rica (OVSICORI) [ http://www.ovsicori.una.ac.cr/index.html# ] website is the best place to go for information and charts about the HUNDREDS of seismic activity events in Costa Rica each year.

It’s actually a fascinating website..

The following ten [http://www.ovsicori.una.ac.cr/listasentidos.htm ]occurred in the month of November 2009

Fecha Hora Magnitud Profundidad Localizacion Origen Reportado Latitud Longitud ver
    26-11-2009 15:04 4.5 20 44 km Sur Este de Limon Cinturon deformado del norte de Panama Puerto Viejo y Talamanca 9.647 -82.87 mapa
    25-11-2009 22:28 2.8 10 15 Kms NE de Perez Zeledón Tectónico por fallamiento local Alaska , Palmital y Perez Zeledón 9.5 -83.678 mapa
    25-11-2009 02:10 3.2 7 15 Kms NE de Perez Zeledon Tectonico por fallamiento local Palmital , Alaska y Rivas de Perez Zeledon 9.5 -83.683 mapa
    24-11-2009 22:14 4.3 34 13 Kms NE Quepos Tectonico por Subduccion Valle Central 9.533 -84.133 mapa
    24-11-2009 18:53 2.4 14 15 km al NE de Perez Zeledon Tectonico por fallamiento local Alaska Perez Zeledon 9.501 -83.677 mapa
    22-11-2009 18:19 2.6 9 Alaska de Perez Zeledon Tectonico por fallamiento local Palmital y Alaska de Perez Zeledon 9.524 -83.661 mapa
    22-11-2009 14:26 2.8 6.5 3 km al norte del crater del volcan Irazu Tectonico por fallamiento local Alrededores del Parque Nacional Volcan Irazu 10.021 -83.854 mapa
    22-11-2009 10:50 2.4 14 Alaska de Perez Zeledon Tectonico por falla local Alaska 9.536 -83.66 mapa
    20-11-2009 11:22 5.2 46 37 km NE de Boca Parismina Tectonico por fallamiento en la placa Caribe Valle Central y Zona Norte 10.512 -83.097 mapa
    19-11-2009 16:02 4.8 73 9 km Sur Oeste del Tejar del Guarco Subduccion Valle Central 9.764 -84.012

grb1063

I felt the one coming that happened in Puriscal about 3 weeks ago while in Ciudad Colon. Having lived in seismic zones (AK & WA) for the last 23 years, I know an earthquake when its coming. That was the biggest one I personally felt in CR at a 5.2. You can’t live [u]anywhere[/u] on the Pacific Coast and not expect seismic activity. Here is another great web site that shows dialy earthquakes exceeding 2.0 all over the world. They are posted within the hour.
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/

maravilla

it’s the ring of fire to blame. we had quakes all the time in AK, Calif, too. i’ve been through the biggest quake ever recorded. after that, a little 5er is nothing to me. the only fear i have is what if it doesn’t stop such as the one in AK that lasted nearly 5 minutes.

grb1063

My ex-father-in-law experienced the Good Friday quake of 1964 in Anchorage (8.2 I believe). I have seen his pictures of 4th Avenue and 12′ vertical land shifts. He lost his entire office building on 8th & N. The entire neighborhood that slid into Cook Inlet is now Earthquake Park.

maravilla

it was a 9.2 and lasted nearly 5 minutes. had friends who were killed. thankfully we were out of school that day. the ground literally liquified under Turnagain Arms sweeping away whatever was below ground, including the baby of our friend, who of course was never found. our friend went crazy and was institutionalized for years after that. why on earth did i move to CR with all the quakes they have here? sheesh.

grb1063

A sunrise, sunset and sunshine every day + no need for any heavy clothing, boots, mittens or ski mask? I lasted one Anchorage winter in 1986 after being there every summer from 1984. Transferred to Seattle as soon as I got the chance. Ex-inlaws moved there in 1955 with Air Force, started a law firm, was even AG for Alaska under Hickel. Hardcore place to live, even compared to Montana.

caliskatari
    Participant

Wow I never knew so many people on here lived in Alaska at one point.. as a write this I am sitting in a small ski town by the name of Girdwood, Alaska. I am sure you all have skied Alyeska Resort or at least heard of it, or Chair 5 and the Double Musky.. I have spent summers up here with my Dad for the last 15 years. I don’t normally make it this long into the winter though.

My Dad was also here during the “Big One”, he was Sking within the Air Force base and said he could not remember it better.. he ended up at the bottom of the run by the time it was over, of course without his ski’s. Buildings were ruined everywhere. Out near Girdwood and towards Portage, on the Turnagain Arm, entire sections of habitable land dropped below sea level. Talk about a earthquake..

A lot of people say a “Big One” is due in Guanacaste. I even had a call from my Girlfriend a few months back where she was scared because the News was reporting to be prepared for a large scale earthquake in Nicoya. That kind freaked me out.. You can never really predict these kinds of things to far in advance though

maravilla

[quote=”grb1063″]A sunrise, sunset and sunshine every day + Ex-inlaws moved there in 1955 with Air Force, started a law firm, was even AG for Alaska under Hickel.

I probably know or know of your inlaws. i worked for a now famous senator way back when he was just a state legislator. knew almost all the lawyers and judges in town. knew the hickels, too. living in that god-forsaken place was the worst experience of my life. was there for nearly all of the 60’s. ugh!

maravilla

as a write this I am sitting in a small ski town by the name of Girdwood, Alaska.

my old stomping ground, but back then we had a T bar and one chairlift. have fond memories of girdwood — is The Bird House still there?

thankfully, there are no faultlines where i live in costa rica. i, too, fear the big one, but i already went through it!

leahkay

Maravilla — the Bird House burned down a few years back. That was sad indeed! We spent Thanksgiving with our college kid in Anchorage, it snowed about 8 inches and was very messy. But at least down there you can actually make snowballs; here in the interior the snow is dry and just blows around. Today we are having 40 mph gusts…Have only had 2 days of 35 below weather so far this winter, thank goodness. Looking forward to some WARM darkness in Costa Rica come January…:P

maravilla

now i remember why i live in costa rica. we had one winter that had 35 days straight of below -30. and one week in fairbanks it was -70. brrrrrrrrrr i went back in 2001 when my mom was dying and everything looked the same to me as it did when i left in the late 60’s. couldn’t wait to get out of there.

jmday

Hello Scott
    I used to use the earthquake site every day, however now my Norton Anti Virus shows as unsafe, so I checked further as to why and found that just last week it was infected with 3 Trojan Horse viruses..I checked with the site manager directly and after some hesitation on his part he admitted that yes indeed there is a problem as yet not fixed and with no date when it will be done. So please all be forwarned. I sure miss my daily update on the stae of things as I live just below The Volano Turrialba.
    Best regards.
    Michael

jamesgoshen4

Thanks Scott for that info. You are for the most part the only one that offered any info to my question. The rest of the people only talked about their “war” stories with earthquakes in the NW area.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.