The different police forces in Costa Rica?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum The different police forces in Costa Rica?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

Can anyone explain the hierarchy of the different police forces to me? How does the system work?

Anyway, I have read that there are several dozen different types of police, but my question really evolves around the three most visible, being the Fuerza Pública, the Turistico and the Transito.

I have been told that while only the Transito can issue traffic tickets, the other police agencies can stop and detain you while waiting for the Transitos to arrive.

Someone else said they received a parking ticket issued by the Fuerza Pública. If anyone knows the real scoop, please let me know.

My reason for asking has nothing to do with my committing any capital crime, I only want to know because my quad isn’t exactly street legal and so far the local “blue shirts” have not had an issue with it, but now we have 2 Turisticos in town full time and more frequent visits by the Transitos.

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricabill”] My reason for asking has nothing to do with my committing any capital crime, I only want to know because my quad isn’t exactly street legal and so far the local “blue shirts” have not had an issue with it, but now we have 2 Turisticos in town full time and more frequent visits by the Transitos.[/quote]

Only the transitos can issue traffic tickets but don’t get on the bad side of any of the others. They can make sure you stay put until transito arrives.

We have several jackasses riding as fast as 70 in Colon on their outrageously loud quads zipping in, out and around traffic in Colon and I’d like to see them ticketed.

Your best bet…get it licensed.

costaricabill
    Participant

W-41: I really wish I could get it licensed, and I have tried. I used the word “quad” to avoid a long description. It is actually a Club Car 3-cyl diesel, selective 4-wheel drive with side by side seating and a small pick-up bed in the back. It only goes about 45kph, but it will go places I shouldn’t go!
    I have put a full light package on it – eveything but high beams (which RTV requires). Also, they say I need a speedometer, but there is no speedometer connection like on quads. I asked if they would accept my GPS (which reads out the speed), but they say “no”. Also, I added the plastic windshield, so now they say I need windshield wipers!
    It has yellow “VE” placas (Vehicle Especial) so I guess that’s why the local police haven’t bothered me – they probably don’t know what that is.

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricabill”] W-41: I really wish I could get it licensed, and I have tried. I used the word “quad” to avoid a long description. It is actually a Club Car 3-cyl diesel, selective 4-wheel drive with side by side seating and a small pick-up bed in the back. It only goes about 45kph, but it will go places I shouldn’t go!
    I have put a full light package on it – everything but high beams (which RTV requires). Also, they say I need a speedometer, but there is no speedometer connection like on quads. I asked if they would accept my GPS (which reads out the speed), but they say “no”. Also, I added the plastic windshield, so now they say I need windshield wipers![/quote]
    You add one thing and it requires that you add another…the first thing you know you have a full blown truck, which is NOT what you wanted in the first place. 🙄
    [quote=”costaricabill”] It has yellow “VE” placas (Vehicle Especial) so I guess that’s why the local police haven’t bothered me – they probably don’t know what that is.[/quote]
    My dealings with the traffic cops here have all been positive. They can come on hard because they get a lot of opposition from those trying to avoid a ticket or trying to buy them off.
    I would talk to the local traffic cop and see what he says. You might find that he understands your predicament and just waves as you go by. 😀

Ronny

A bit off topic , but spent a few hours at the police station in San Jose getting fingerprinted for pensionado application last week. I hope nobody noticed me grinning when the forty of us in the queue got up and moved a seat over every time someone went into the building to be processed.
    It would be interesting to read other humorous Costa Rican anecdotes. I’ve only been here a week and have already spilled milk all over my shirt twice.
    Dos Pinos really needs to take a look at upgrading their milk cartons in my opinion.:idea:

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”Ronny”]I’ve only been here a week and have already spilled milk all over my shirt twice.
    Dos Pinos really needs to take a look at upgrading their milk cartons in my opinion.:idea:
    [/quote]

Hmmm . . . Wouldn’t using a straw be simpler than getting Dos Pinos to go to a different container. Many (most?) of us are not daunted by the one they’re using.

Ronny

Never thought of siphoning milk from the container into my coffee with a straw. Thanks for the heads up.
    My comment was meant to be humorous, I apologize if it upset you.

costaricabill
    Participant

It never fails to amaze me how quickly and effortlessly a discussion can get totally (not “a bit”) “off subject”!

From W-41’s thoughtful and on-point responses to “spilt milk”!
    Geeeez! And please, I hope no one tells me not to cry over spilt milk!

agarcia

[quote=”Ronny”]Never thought of siphoning milk from the container into my coffee with a straw. Thanks for the heads up.
    My comment was meant to be humorous, I apologize if it upset you.[/quote]

Hi Ronny. Are you talking about the 1 litre cartons from Dos Pinos? The little plastic pull tab is a poor design and it spills nearly every single time I try to open a new one, so I just cut the ends with scissors.

Don’t worry about the grumps on the forum, many like to talk about their superiority and reinforce why they left the U.S. I say live and let live.

You should post more of your Costa Rica idiosyncrasies.

I have one that baffles me. Tico’s have no problem queuing for the bank & CCSS etc for hours, but if your car isn’t moving before the green photons hit the back of your retina at the traffic light, they are honking their horn.

Pura Vida!

Ronny

Oh well…a feeble attempt at levity on my part and a lesson learned.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”agarcia”]
    I have one that baffles me. Tico’s have no problem queuing for the bank & CCSS etc for hours, but if your car isn’t moving before the green photons hit the back of your retina at the traffic light, they are honking their horn.[/quote]

Costa Ricans are very sociable folks, so standing in line for hours gives them an opportunity to make new friends or catch up with old ones. By contrast, there is no such opportunity when they’re sitting in their own cars, so they’re anxious to get wherever they’re headed and get into that line.

waggoner41

[quote=”Ronny”] I’ve only been here a week and have already spilled milk all over my shirt twice.
    [/quote]

A whole week???
    Wait until you’ve been here a while and realize the futility of trying to change the way things are done in Costa Rica. 😆

Ronny

A whole week so far this year. I’ve been visiting Costa Rica since the early eighties, have owned property for over 12 years and am not trying to change anything…tough crowd!

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”costaricabill”]W-41: I really wish I could get it licensed, and I have tried. I used the word “quad” to avoid a long description. It is actually a Club Car 3-cyl diesel, selective 4-wheel drive with side by side seating and a small pick-up bed in the back. It only goes about 45kph, but it will go places I shouldn’t go!
    I have put a full light package on it – eveything but high beams (which RTV requires). Also, they say I need a speedometer, but there is no speedometer connection like on quads. I asked if they would accept my GPS (which reads out the speed), but they say “no”. Also, I added the plastic windshield, so now they say I need windshield wipers!
    It has yellow “VE” placas (Vehicle Especial) so I guess that’s why the local police haven’t bothered me – they probably don’t know what that is.[/quote]

How exactly did they categorize this vehicle when you brought it into the country Bill?

Scott

costaricafinca
    Participant

Friends brought in a ‘Mule’, and which is similar to your vehicle, isn’t it? They were never able to license it either, so they go into the small town near them, and so far, have had no tickets…although it doesn’t have a ‘VE’ plate.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.