“Take a tour…si o no?”

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum “Take a tour…si o no?”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

¡Muchos yeses! I took the George Lundquist’s tour in May 2008 which jumped started my learning about living in Costa Rica while still living in Portland, Oregon. George delivers a fine experience for the money. I think you can see some of his interviews with Scott here on this site. Then in November 2012, I took the ARCR seminar in San Jose in order to update my “Pura Vida studies,” before retired here in September 2013. Another point is that I read every book and comments Scott Oliver made on this site in those early days and since I have moved here. This site pretty much shifts the chaff from the wheat from the “telenovela,” i.e., soap opera stories, you hear about living in Costa Rica.

pharg
    Participant

We took George Lundquist’s tour (twice, 2010 and 2014) and Chris Howard’s tour (with ARCR seminars, twice, in 2011(?) and 2014).

All four were well worth the time, effort, and cost; different styles, different approaches, different information but all unquestionably useful (as is varied information on this site through the years). Definitely recommended.

After living in Tibas for an extended time in 1979, many shorter visits in the 80s and 90s, and seeing the accelerated decline in financial, social, and economic rule changes that seem(!) to target gringos throughout the past decade, we have decided to forego moving to Costa Rica.

At some point it may dawn on the government that there is an applicable tale, something about a goose and golden eggs.
    PEH

residencial

ARCR is now run by a lawyer. $50,000 reward offered for capture, conviction of Canadian expat’s kidnappers. Nine months have passed since Canadian expat Ryan Piercy was kidnapped in Costa Rica, and authorities here appear no closer to solving the case despite assurances this week from detectives that they are aggressively pursuing all leads. But with the threats continuing, anonymous donors now are offering ?25 million (roughly $50,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the kidnappers. Citing safety concerns, the donors asked The Tico Times not to publish their names.

Anyone with information on the case should contact the Judicial Investigation Police’s confidential tip line at: 800-8000-OIJ (800-8000-645).

slackerbill

[quote=”pharg”]
    After living in Tibas for an extended time in 1979, many shorter visits in the 80s and 90s, and seeing the accelerated decline in financial, social, and economic rule changes that seem(!) to target gringos throughout the past decade, we have decided to forego moving to Costa Rica.
    PEH[/quote]

I am constantly trying to find out what unhappy surprises my wife and I would have if we actually follow our plan to retire in CR mid ’16.

Your comment is taken seriously. Would you say the declines you mention are worse than those now or soon to be occurring in the US?

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”slackerbill”][quote=”pharg”]
    PEH[/quote]

I am constantly trying to find out what unhappy surprises my wife and I would have if we actually follow our plan to retire in CR mid ’16.

Your comment is taken seriously. Would you say the declines you mention are worse than those now or soon to be occurring in the US?[/quote]

In response, for us, the move would not have been for financial or health reasons, but for the joie de vivre of the country. Without that, the impetus declines. Despite many ups & downs in the U.S.in the past 40 years, on the whole (excepting the overwhelming and depressing stupidity and venality of 99.9% of politicians), we are satisfied with our life in Florida, and will be occasional tourists as needed. I have no insight into the future, other than to hope none of the current crop of far right wing yahoos fade away ASAP.
    PEH

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”pharg”] I have no insight into the future, other than to hope none of the current crop of far right wing yahoos fade away ASAP.
    PEH[/quote]
    (Meaning, of course, that they are providing so much entertainment that it becomes too easy a task to separate the bovine excreta from the facts. Sort of like Tico politicos.)

slackerbill

Thanks pharg, I appreciate your response. I was aware of the possibility of launching a political debate and wish to steer clear of that drama, certainly on this forum, but elsewhere it’s probably a good catalyst for obtaining the joys of adrenalin. Way too easy for person A to become furious at person B and that is not pura vida.

My wife and I are forcefully drawn to the peaceful friendly lifestyle and the tropical beauty of the country as well as the perceived lower cost of living. Everywhere I look in researching the move I see nothing but glowing reports and lovely characteristics of life in CR. It seems pretty obvious that the good far outweighs the bad but I want to know up front what any unhappy surprises might lie ahead, mostly so they aren’t surprises.

costaricafinca
    Participant

You need to come visit in person to check out various areas, preferably more than once.

Check the [url=http://costaricalaw.com/costa-rica-legal-topics/immigration-and-residency/residency-general-information-and-summary/]Residency requirements[/url] And while there are supposedly more people than ever, entering the country, realize that while waiting for a [i]cedula[/i] especially if one wants to continue to drive, you will possibly have to exit Costa Rica 4,5 or even more times to renew your tourist visa, before gaining residency, which may mean that may of those entering the country are the same ones doing it over and over again.

Research the cost of a vehicle here…or how much it [url=http://costaricalaw.com/costa-rica-legal-topics/customs-and-trade/costa-rica-importing-a-car-how-much-are-the-taxes/]will be to import one.[/url]

Note, that it is said that between 50-60% return to their home country, within 2-3 years.

Make sure to read the on-ine news media…not just the glowing report blogs or IL.

http://www.ticotimes.net
    http://www.insidecostarica.com
    http://www.qcostarica.com
    http://www.nacion.com
    http://www.crhoy.com
    http://www.vozdequanacaste.com

Rent in your chosen area until you are sure that Costa Rica is for you.

Robbers and thieves don’t usually let you know in advance…:(

While it is a great place to live [i]if you can afford it[/i], be aware of the snakes in the grass…

residencial

I did not see any “payment information” on Lundquist’s website. So I talked to a couple of people who took the tour and I became concerned because they had to send a deposit to his family member in the states and then pay George in “cash” when they got to CR. BUT…they were not given any written receipts. That is weird.:?:

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”residencial”]I did not see any “payment information” on Lundquist’s website. So I talked to a couple of people who took the tour and I became concerned because they had to send a deposit to his family member in the states and then pay George in “cash” when they got to CR. BUT…they were not given any written receipts. That is weird.:?:[/quote]

George is reliable. His son in Texas takes the initial deposit; The balance is ‘in cash’ because of the check cashing problems at C.R. banks (sometimes 30 days or more).
    PEH

BillNew
    Participant

[quote=”pharg”]The balance is ‘in cash’ because of the check cashing problems at C.R. banks (sometimes 30 days or more).
    PEH[/quote]

And … NEW for 2015 … a $40 fee to process foreign checks or $50 to receive a wire.

CHERYLJK

I’m not sure which bank you use but my CR bank charges $15 to receive a wire.

slackerbill

I looked on George’s website, looks good, but didn’t see any pricing info. What is a ‘typical’ price for a couple? They look to be all-inclusive.

BillNew
    Participant

BCR … and $15 was about all that they charged last year.

Of course, last year they didn’t charge anything on the foreign checks. Yeah, they sat on the money for 30 days even though those checks cleared my US account, without fail, within 48 hours of being presented to the CR bank.

residencial

So why aren’t cash paying customers given written receipts by Lundquist? Tax evasion? I would also ask about his insurance coverage for his tour vehicles and passengers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.