Speaking of FATCA

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Speaking of FATCA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    johnnyh
    davidd

[quote=”johnnyh”]http://www.thedailybell.com/exclusive-interviews/35393/Anthony-Wile-Nick-Giambruno-on-FATCA-GATCA-and-the-Changing-Investment-Scene-Worldwide/

Interesting read that has been brought up in the past.[/quote]

Johnny Handsome

thanks for that… interesting about puerto rico.. never heard about that.. and worth checking out..

curious as to the cost of living there..

sprite

[quote=”davidd”][quote=”johnnyh”]http://www.thedailybell.com/exclusive-interviews/35393/Anthony-Wile-Nick-Giambruno-on-FATCA-GATCA-and-the-Changing-Investment-Scene-Worldwide/

Johnny Handsome

thanks for that… interesting about puerto rico.. never heard about that.. and worth checking out..

[/quote]

Puerto Rico is about 20% more expensive than Costa Rica.

http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/san-jose-costa-rica/san-juan-puerto-rico

My wife was born and grew up there.I knew the island well enough some 20 years ago to be able to say that, although it is a pretty place, its physical beauty does not match that of Costa Rica. The infrastructure was better than what I currently see in CR and, for those that care, English is widely spoken and, of course,, the dollar is used.
    All of the above considered, I still choose Costa Rica. Puerto Rico is currently suffering such economic problems that residents are leaving the island. There one million more Puerto Ricans outside the country than inside.

davidd

Sprite

thanks for the update..

I was more looking at the tax implications vs consumer living index.

20% is not bad if the overall taxes are significantly less.

and infrastructure and crime.

I love Costa Rica.. to live

to do business here is insane since government here does NOT support small business here at all.

I know this from experience.

but things are changing here and and the cost is rising and again.. taxes will start appearing out of air.

[quote=”sprite”][quote=”davidd”][quote=”johnnyh”]http://www.thedailybell.com/exclusive-interviews/35393/Anthony-Wile-Nick-Giambruno-on-FATCA-GATCA-and-the-Changing-Investment-Scene-Worldwide/

Johnny Handsome

[/quote]

Puerto Rico is about 20% more expensive than Costa Rica.

http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/san-jose-costa-rica/san-juan-puerto-rico

My wife was born and grew up there.I knew the island well enough some 20 years ago to be able to say that, although it is a pretty place, its physical beauty does not match that of Costa Rica. The infrastructure was better than what I currently see in CR and, for those that care, English is widely spoken and, of course,, the dollar is used.
    All of the above considered, I still choose Costa Rica. Puerto Rico is currently suffering such economic problems that residents are leaving the island. There one million more Puerto Ricans outside the country than inside.[/quote]

sprite

As in all things, much depends upon your motivations. If business was a major component of my decision to move, tax advantages would be a significant consideration.

However,I am retiring. What I look for, among other things, are peace and quiet and affordability.

The cost of living seems to be going up everywhere as the world fiat currencies and associated economies begin to falter.

So many of the experts I read are saying that this year will be THE YEAR of the final and more extreme stages of the collapse.

Where is the best place to hunker down and/or wait out the final years of life?

I am not a world traveler. Of the places I DO know, Costa Rica seems the best suited for me at this time.

sprite

[quote=”johnnyh”]http://www.thedailybell.com/exclusive-interviews/35393/Anthony-Wile-Nick-Giambruno-on-FATCA-GATCA-and-the-Changing-Investment-Scene-Worldwide/

Further reading for an explanation as to why we are seeing capital controls being put in place.

Fourth Turning Accelerating: “No Escaping the Dire, Deadly and Dangerous Times Directly Ahead”

davidd

no wonder why we are seeing these trends

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/record-numbers-of-expatriates-renounce-us-citizenship-2014-06-17

[quote=”sprite”][quote=”johnnyh”]http://www.thedailybell.com/exclusive-interviews/35393/Anthony-Wile-Nick-Giambruno-on-FATCA-GATCA-and-the-Changing-Investment-Scene-Worldwide/

Further reading for an explanation as to why we are seeing capital controls being put in place.
    http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/fourth-turning-accelerating-no-escaping-the-dire-deadly-and-dangerous-times-directly-ahead_06162014%5B/quote%5D

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]I see that the sky is falling and the world is about to end – yet again. [yawn]

[/quote]

Happy to report that the sky in your neck of the woods (Chicago Illinois) is a bit closer to falling than the rest of the world…. this way you won’t have to wait as long as the rest of us for reality to rear it’s inevitable ugly head. LOL

davidd

[quote=”sweikert925″]Nope, I went outside and checked, the sky is exactly where it was before.[/quote]

Sweikert

everything is fine.. the world is exactly where it should be..

you keep doing what your doing

btw it was every appropriate changing your avatar to its new cartoon character 😉

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”davidd”][quote=”sweikert925″]Nope, I went outside and checked, the sky is exactly where it was before.[/quote]

Sweikert

everything is fine.. the world is exactly where it should be..

you keep doing what your doing

btw it was every appropriate changing your avatar to its new cartoon character :wink:[/quote]

“Nothing to see here folks…. move along now….. everything is fine…. go about your business!”….. seems this is the new credo of government!

That is of course unless you stop and look…. then things don’t look so rosy! LOL

davidd

[quote=”sweikert925″]

By the way, greetings from Heredia![/quote]

[b]OMG your here!!! [/b][size=200][/size]:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

now I feel better. 😀

Andrew
    Keymaster

I do hope our VIP Members who are U.S. citizens have cleaned up their banking affairs here in Costa Rica – they have reported their accounts – because their accounts will be reported to the IRS.

The announcement below has been emailed to me in various formats by all the banks I do business with in Costa Rica.

Thankfully I am not a U.S. citizen (who [b]must[/b] report their income every year and who must pay taxes on their worldwide income each year), I am British and the British tax regime is based on residency where you only pay taxes if you are resident in the UK for a specific amount of time each year.

[img]https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/images/FATCA_BAC_San_Jose.jpg[/img]

I’m sure this is going to get ugly!

davidd

Scott

it is my understanding from personal experience that this really will affect Americans that open bank accounts with US passport..

because I had a recent meeting with bank manager banco nacional and she told me that this will have no bearing on legal residents that opened a bank account with their cedula..

what has been your experiences??

Andrew
    Keymaster

“This will have no bearing on legal residents that opened a bank account with their cedula” except that any and all private and public banks in Costa Rica will share all U.S. citizen banking information with the U.S. whether the U.S. citizen has a cedula or not…

Scott

davidd

Scott

I will research this.. more in depth.. but so far what I am understanding is that this is geared specifically with people that opened up bank accounts with U.S. passport.

people that are [b]legal residents[/b] here and opened up the bank account with the cedulas.. will not apply

This is what came out of the Banco nacional general manager.. who we had lunch with .. with my attorney.

since a legal residence cedula.. at a [b]banking level[/b] (NOT at immigration level..but banking level) does NOT differentiate between where you are from.. Nicaragua, Britain, us, Germany.. etc all it reveals is that one is a legal residence.

Don’t get me wrong.. I am sure a bank can if they wanted to go and drill down and get all the paperwork to see who is british, who is american, who is german, who is chinese, who is etc.. but I doubt this..

I will further research this.. if there is one thing I have found here in this country.. is that.. many times one hand does not know what the other is doing.

[quote=”Scott”]”This will have no bearing on legal residents that opened a bank account with their cedula” except that any and all private and public banks in Costa Rica will share all U.S. citizen banking information with the U.S. whether the U.S. citizen has a cedula or not…

Scott

[/quote]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.