Satellite & Internet

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Satellite & Internet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    rf2cr
    Participant

I am sure I am about to show my ignorance, so you knowledgeable people out there please be kind. Right now I am asking if it is possible, will look at legal later.

If I have a Hughesnet. (Directv’s high speed) account here in the US via directv, and have a directv account there, can I use that account for net access?

Thanks

Ruth

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You can use it, but you can’t use it from Costa Rica. A satellite dish placed anywhere in Costa Rica will not have the angle of view necessary to reach the Hughsnet satellite orbiting over the U.S.

There are a couple of options for satellite Internet access from Costa Rica but only one appears to be desirable.

apexit

Ruth you might check with DISH network. I know that in Dominican Rep. they could pick updirect tv with a 38 in antenna Sammy Sosa the ballplayer has 13 receiivers in his house. You can get DISH from the US in Venezuela. They are selling satellite internet in the US but like I said the dish size. Look up satellite internet on ebay.com
    search for satellite internet and ask a dealer there if you can hit a satellite from CR. The beauty of high speed internet in CR is you can use skype.com. and make over the internet phones calls with your computer. The USA should be free anywhere in the world should be a few cents a minute.

cadknow

David, what is the desirable option? I am guessing you could also setup a marine satelite system on land but they are expensive.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

RE: Satellite Internet access

The only desirable option I can find is a Dr. Dish installation. Don Paul will install a 2.4 meter dish, the base hardware, and a wireless hub (if you wish) for around $7,500US. He uses a satellite service provider who also serves the U.S. Army with all its satellite links, so the service provider is definitely “high end”.

You can opt for transmission speeds as low as 64/64kps (i.e., 64kps up and down) for about $129 per month or higher speeds for more money. Because the contention rate is low (not too many users for the available resources), 64/64kps using this service may perform better than higher transmission rates from providers who are serving more customers. You can always upgrade.

Dr. Dish’s wireless installation would allow you to share your dish and service with nearby neighbors on a line-of-sight to the wireless hub, so there’s some possibility to share the costs of ownership and operation.

The alternative is to get a dish installed by RACSA. It’s significantly cheaper, but there is a volume cost for transmission and reception. That is, once you’ve gone over your monthly allocation of traffic, you pay by the packet and I’m told it can add up very quickly and be very, very expensive. At the risk of running up a huge bill, my thinking is that the Dr. Dish alternative is a better choice.

RE: Satellite television reception

DirecTV Latin America is available throughout Costa Rica. We had it for about eight months. Most of the channels are exclusively in Spanish, which we hardly speak fluently, and the English-language channels carry a very limited selection of programming. The CSI episode that shows on the Sony channel at 7:00pm, for example, shows on the Warner channel at 8:00pm.

Dr. Dish also offers satellite television systems. Whereas DirecTV Latin America does business in Costa Rica, DishNetwork does not. You cannot sign up for DishNetwork from here. That said, however, if you live far enough north in Costa Rica you are still within view of DishNetwork’s U.S. satellite. So Dr. Dish can install a 2.4 meter or (better still) 3.0 meter dish and tuner and you can get virtually everything that DishNetwork broadcasts to its U.S. customers.

This is what we have done. We get all the broadcast channels from New York and Los Angeles, a horde of Fox sports channels, ESPN, the cable channels like History, Discovery, Comedy, HGTV, Food, etc, etc, etc.

The 2.4 meter dish brings in a good signal but is subject to blackout when it’s raining heavily. The 3.0 meter dish is supposed to resolve that problem. We’re waiting now for an upgrade.

Taking DishNetwork’s signal this way, from a country in which they do no business, is free — no monthly cost.

rf2cr
    Participant

David,

Thank you so much for all of the very helpful information. I was hoping that there was some way to avoid that very expensive dish installation but it looks like that either we accept the cost or do without. Could you give me a contact address for Don Paul.

Thanks again, you have been most generous with your time and knowledge.

Ruth

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Don Paul’s e-mail address is: stardish1@yahoo.com. His telelphone number is: 837-3474.

I get a ten colon commission for every customer I send, so please mention my name.

rf2cr
    Participant

Once again – Many thanks, I will be sure that you are not cheated out of your ten colones, even buy you a beer or a cup of coffee if we ever meet.

Ruth

rocky425

This is a conversation I’ve been waiting for. With either Dr Dish or DirectV can you get NFL Sunday Ticket. My husband MUST keep up on the Broncos or he will go into withdrawal.
    Rocky

perrobravo

According to their website, direct tv in CR offers the “NFL Passe” which is the same program as the “NFL Sunday Ticket”

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Yes, Perro is right. DirecTV Latin America does offer the NFL package in the fall, but it’s only the regular season games. The playoffs, Superbowl, etc you have to get from ESPN or not at all.

DishNetwork does not offer an NFL package, but they do offer local station broadcasting from New York City, Los Angeles, and a slew of Fox stations as well as all the ESPN iterations. There’s a reasonably good chance that the Broncos (and many other NFL teams’ games) will be somewhere on DishNetwork’s stations that you can get here.

katalan

Dear David,

Am I correct in gleaning that Dr Dish is a reliable satellite internet installer/service provider?

We are moving to a rural area near Cuidad Quesada, without phone lines or cell reception, and have gotten a quote from Dr Dish for a 3 meter satellite internet service. It’s expensive but we need reliable internet for business.

Also, I assume that Skype would work with Dr Dish?

Thanks!

Bandera

Ruth
    There is an alternative. Do you know if there is a wifi signal close to you. Or find out how close Racsa will install DSL. Rent a cheap apartment in that area and then get a wifi booster antenna. I also have an idea for satellite internet. A fellow uses it in Panama. He picks up a Mexican satellite. Email me please
    Stan
    stan@banderabeachestates.com

katalan

Dear Stan,

I guess your reply is not oriented to my posting, but no, we cannot even get cell phone reception on our land, which is in the rainforest and VERY rural. I don’t think that Racsa has DSL in the area — we are near Agua Zarcas, which is slightly northeast of Cuidad Quesada.

In rural northern Arizona we have tried piggy-backing off a “standard” wireless internet service and it has worked but with frequent “down” times and is frustrating.

We need reliable internet because I do editorial consulting and my clients need to be able to reach me.

I was mostly wondering if folks had as good experience with Dr Dish as I had “heard” on the forums.

Thanks! katalan

Bandera

You misunderstand. You subscribe in the USA to satellite internet for $699. There are 3 levels starting at $49 a month to $99 a month. You request the Mexican satellite for service. You then bring the modem and antenna to CR and put it up and bingo youi can use up to 8 computers or skype or whatever. Dr. DISH has been talked of in this forum. Please if you have the money Scott usually checks these people out thoroughly.
    Ther also was an article on the regular website about people running a place for homeless children out in the boonies. They were getting some kind of service. Maybe Scott remembers the article.
    Good Luck
    Stan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.