President Obomber Will Officially Propose Cuts To Social Security and Medicare.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum President Obomber Will Officially Propose Cuts To Social Security and Medicare.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    davidd

this is how deluded the people are

http://insidecostarica.com/2013/04/08/otton-solis-asks-ticos-to-paint-their-houses-and-clean-streets-for-obama-visit/

I know.. i know.. its political 🙂

wouldn’t you love to see president Obama come down here and have a debate with some smart people we have on this forum???

people like David M… waggoneer… mr Oliver… kwhite

now that would be a debate I would pay to watch.

instead he is coming here under the delusion that he is somebody to listen to.. like here listen to me because I know how to run economy

like steven segal 🙂

waggoner41

[quote=”barbara ann”]
    All of theabove should give you the ammo you need to oppose Obamacare. Please send this information on to all of your email contacts.[/quote]

It would pay for Barbara Ann to download copies of the legislation and check for herself.

Lies, lies, lies.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”barbara ann”]
    All of theabove should give you the ammo you need to oppose Obamacare. Please send this information on to all of your email contacts.[/quote]

It would pay for Barbara Ann to download copies of the legislation and check for herself.

Lies, lies, lies.[/quote]

Thank you for clearing that up for us Les… I have deleted the incorrect posts ….

Andrew
    Keymaster

A question for our retired US Citizens/VIP members who are living here with Social Security as a big part of their monthly income…

The quote below is taken from: [url=http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article34541.htm]Obama’s Social Security Cuts Are Our Wake-Up Call.[/url]

“How big is the President’s chained-CPI cut? For someone who retires at 65, it would be:

a 3.7 percent cut at age 75;
    a 6.5 percent cut at age 85;
    and a 9.2 percent cut at 95.

What about the dollar cost of the President’s cut? For the average earner, cumulative benefits would be cut by:

$4,631 – more than three months of benefits – by age 75;
    $13,910 – nearly a year of benefits – by age 85;
    and $28,004 – more than a year and a half of benefits – by age 95.

Unless the President’s budget excludes the chained CPI from IRS calculation, it would also lead to tax increases for all income except that in the highest tax bracket. So his Social Security cut would also be a middle-class tax hike.”

================================

[b]If this did happen to your Social Security, how would this affect your living standards in Costa Rica?
    [/b]

waggoner41

[quote=”Scott”]A question for our retired US Citizens/VIP members who are living here with Social Security as a big part of their monthly income…

The quote below is taken from: [url=http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article34541.htm]Obama’s Social Security Cuts Are Our Wake-Up Call.[/url]

“How big is the President’s chained-CPI cut? For someone who retires at 65, it would be:

What about the dollar cost of the President’s cut? For the average earner, cumulative benefits would be cut by:

Unless the President’s budget excludes the chained CPI from IRS calculation, it would also lead to tax increases for all income except that in the highest tax bracket. So his Social Security cut would also be a middle-class tax hike.”

[b]If this did happen to your Social Security, how would this affect your living standards in Costa Rica?
    [/b]

[/quote]

IF IT HAPPENS!!! We will have to go with the flow AND it will hurt.

We belong to several organizations who are fighting this idea and I do not mean AARP. I have very little usse for AARP since they took a stand to allow the wealthy to continue receiving what was oricinally intended to be a support system for the elderly, among other things.

We contact our senators in California, Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein and our representative Linda Sanchez regularly on issues that affect us. All are Democrats and all have agreed to fight the idea of chained CPI.

Kwhite1

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”Scott”]A question for our retired US Citizens/VIP members who are living here with Social Security as a big part of their monthly income…

[/b]

[/quote]

IF IT HAPPENS!!! We will have to go with the flow AND it will hurt.

We belong to several organizations who are fighting this idea and I do not mean AARP. I have very little usse for AARP since they took a stand to allow the wealthy to continue receiving what was oricinally intended to be a support system for the elderly, among other things.

We contact our senators in California, Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein and our representative Linda Sanchez regularly on issues that affect us. All are Democrats and all have agreed to fight the idea of chained CPI.

[/quote]

Kinda stinks knowing that SS won’t be there for me when I am of age. Been paying into it for 25 years, and have another 20 before I can get some back. Does anyone really think it will still be viable in 20 years? If so I will sell mine now at a discount! $.60 on the dollar!! Don’t pass it up!!

bogino
    Participant

I started teaching my kids years ago the importance of learning how to save. People will no longer be able to assume the SS will be around in the years ahead and people must take it upon themselves to learn how to FEND for themselves and manage and save wisely for their futures so they don’t have to DEPEND on a system that will likely be bankrupt within a generation or so. I believe SS “can” be “reformed” if done wisely. However, politicians are way too short sighted and are ONLY concerned about the near term which is why so many bad choices are made. The math is really very simple and anyone that understands basic arithmetic should be able to figure out that at its current pace SS can not and will not survive in its present form.

waggoner41

[quote=”kwhite1″]
    Kinda stinks knowing that SS won’t be there for me when I am of age. Been paying into it for 25 years, and have another 20 before I can get some back. Does anyone really think it will still be viable in 20 years? If so I will sell mine now at a discount! $.60 on the dollar!! Don’t pass it up!![/quote]

The Social Security Investment Trust holds 18% of the Federal debt. SS is not broke; the Federal government has a problem in redeeming SS requests to be redeemed. Right now SS has funding adequate for about 15 years.

The issue is that “our congressional representatives”, as well as anyone who keeps up with economic issues, has been aware of the dual problems of the baby boom and our ever-extending lives since the early 1950’s.

Congress in its infinite ineptitude has continually kicked the can down the road for more than 60 years by applying band-aid fixes to the issues rather than to find a permanent solution.

Write your representatives, as I have, and tell them that the problems with SS are the fault of congress to pass a permanent fix and if they vote to approve the [b]chained CPI[/b] that they will lose your vote in the next election.

The fixes at this late date are far more drastic than they would have been years ago. Where my generation should have been paying into SS at a higher rate when we were working, congress decided that increasing our premiums would be unpopular.

Here are some of the things that can be done:
    1 ~ Both my wife and I receive SS and we are willing to take a 5% cut in our benefits to help alleviate the problem.
    2 ~ Raise the SS monthly premium by 1% for both employee and employer.
    3 ~ Raise the age to qualify for SS by an additional year. [b](Congress increased our retirement age by two years while we were employed and we didn’t complain.)[/b]
    4 ~ Raise the level of income that is subject to SS premiums.
    I am sure other options that I have not thought of but there are solutions.

You are about the same age as our children and we want to see that all of you get your. The same applies to Medicare.
    The baby boom situation is temporary, lasting until about 2042. After that it evens out. Our extending life-spans are another issue.

davidd

Waggoner

question. how does one who never contribute to social security are able to recieve benefits

I know 6 people that are now recieving SS benefits that have never worked on the books.. or worked when they were kids.. that are getting SS benefits

let me be more specific. 2 are on disability of some sort so they are getting SS benefits early.

these range from $800 to $1500 per month in payments

I know these people since I was a kid growing up in NYC..

thanks

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”kwhite1″]
    Kinda stinks knowing that SS won’t be there for me when I am of age. Been paying into it for 25 years, and have another 20 before I can get some back. Does anyone really think it will still be viable in 20 years? If so I will sell mine now at a discount! $.60 on the dollar!! Don’t pass it up!![/quote]

The Social Security Investment Trust holds 18% of the Federal debt. SS is not broke; the Federal government has a problem in redeeming SS requests to be redeemed. Right now SS has funding adequate for about 15 years.

The issue is that “our congressional representatives”, as well as anyone who keeps up with economic issues, has been aware of the dual problems of the baby boom and our ever-extending lives since the early 1950’s.

Congress in its infinite ineptitude has continually kicked the can down the road for more than 60 years by applying band-aid fixes to the issues rather than to find a permanent solution.

Write your representatives, as I have, and tell them that the problems with SS are the fault of congress to pass a permanent fix and if they vote to approve the [b]chained CPI[/b] that they will lose your vote in the next election.

The fixes at this late date are far more drastic than they would have been years ago. Where my generation should have been paying into SS at a higher rate when we were working, congress decided that increasing our premiums would be unpopular.

1 ~ Both my wife and I receive SS and we are willing to take a 5% cut in our benefits to help alleviate the problem.
    3 ~ Raise the age to qualify for SS by an additional year. [b](Congress increased our retirement age by two years while we were employed and we didn’t complain.)[/b]

You are about the same age as our children and we want to see that all of you get your. The same applies to Medicare.
    The baby boom situation is temporary, lasting until about 2042. After that it evens out. Our extending life-spans are another issue.
    [/quote]

squigglesrus

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”kwhite1″]

[/quote]

Fantastic post! To actually see some sane ideas that make some common sense is great! Like KWHITE1, I’m not sure I’ll ever see any benefits given the current situation and my time until I get to partake.

waggoner41

[quote=”davidd”]Waggoner

question. how does one who never contribute to social security are able to recieve benefits

I know 6 people that are now recieving SS benefits that have never worked on the books.. or worked when they were kids.. that are getting SS benefits

let me be more specific. 2 are on disability of some sort so they are getting SS benefits early.

thanks [/quote]

That is a question that you will have to ask your “friends”.

I would like to know the answer to that myself.

It is incumbent on all of us to report people who you suspect are receiving benefits that they do not deserve.

If you are familiar with them, see if they seem capable of working at any type of employment even if it requres retraining.

Our taxes also pay for the needed retraining and they should be required to do the training on our dime.

My wife had to take SSD because of documented, legitimate health issues but she paid into SS for 40 years while she was able to work.

There was a story about a guy who was drawing California state disability but someone sent the disability department a copy of a video of him doing something he was supposedly incapable of doing. He was terminated from the disability program and required to repay his entire benefit.

It’s up to us.

Kwhite1

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”davidd”]Waggoner

thanks [/quote]

That is a question that you will have to ask your “friends”.

I would like to know the answer to that myself.

It is incumbent on all of us to report people who you suspect are receiving benefits that they do not deserve.

If you are familiar with them, see if they seem capable of working at any type of employment even if it requres retraining.

Our taxes also pay for the needed retraining and they should be required to do the training on our dime.

My wife had to take SSD because of documented, legitimate health issues but she paid into SS for 40 years while she was able to work.

There was a story about a guy who was drawing California state disability but someone sent the disability department a copy of a video of him doing something he was supposedly incapable of doing. He was terminated from the disability program and required to repay his entire benefit.

It’s up to us.[/quote]

The sad part is that the system has become way to easy to work. I have had employees quit, file for un employment, we have a hearing, I submit a copy of thier resignation, and they still are able to claim un employment against me. The win everytime, I have a 0% win ratio for un employment claims when the person quits…amazing.

I am all for helping people that need it but the system is broken, my wife’s mother has MS, cannot get around without a walker, she was denied disability benefits, but go to any Wal Mart USA and take a poll, 2/3 of the people in there are on disability while shopping and getting around just dandy.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

At the risk of shedding some light on the foregoing questions . . .

First, it’s critical to understand the differences between Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). From the outside, they are easy to confuse.

SSDI is awarded to those who have worked enough quarters to qualify much as the Social Security Old Age benefit is awarded. Eligibility is based upon a sliding scale of work quarters depending upon the applicant’s age.

For example, an 18 year-old, who worked one summer at McDonald’s and had two quarters of work credit and who them became permanently disabled (think diving accident) would probably qualify for SSDI even though his or her work record was very brief. On the other hand, a “career” homemaker who had no paid work history but who had the same diagnosis would not qualify. The payment is based upon recorded earnings but there is a minimum.

To qualify for SSDI, you must apply and provide sufficient information to convince a medical examiner. The bar is pretty high.

It is also possible for a disabled child, one who was born disabled or who acquired his or her disability before age 18, to qualify for SSDI as the dependent of a parent who receives (or maybe is eligible) for Social Security.

Eligibility for Supplemental Security Income, on the other hand, is based upon a combination of disability and poverty. Back in the mid-1970s, the Social Security Administration federalized the States’ welfare programs for disabled, blind and aged poor people.

The medical eligibility requirements are essentially the same for SSI and SSDI.

Two further notes . . .

First, if you don’t know the intimate details of someone’s eligibility for SSDI or SSI, it’s easy to confuse the two.

Second, some peoples’ disabilities are not readily apparent to the casual (and especially untrained) observer.

Here’s a Townhall.com link to the crisis of SSDI, it’s causes, and trends:

http://townhall.com/columnists/jonahgoldberg/2013/04/03/is-disability-the-new-welfare-n1555821

I know many of you will object to us right wing kooks gathering information, but there will always be “people dancing on the deck of the Titanic”.

I have students who are waiting for their “crazy checks” each month; they are ADHD. Yes, there is a Santa Claus that wears red, white, and blue…And the system can be gamed.:shock:

Kwhite1

[quote=”sweikert925″]First of all I have to point out that anyone who resorts to silly name-calling (“Obomber”) automatically categorizes himself as rather immature. That was equally true of the people who inssisted on calling the previous occupant of the Oval Office “Shrub”.

Second, the proposal that President Obama is putting forward is a CONCESSION TO REPUBLICANS. The lunatic right wing fringe that has taken over the Republican party I grew up with and used to respect has a new tactic – push for something and then when President Obama accepts that as a compromise then turn around and lambaste him for doing so. That’s the new definition of chutzpah. They have done that repeatedly now.

Third, Social Security simply doesn’t have enough money to pay out all of the promised benefits past (according to most recent estimates) 2033. I suppose for some current beneficiaries an attitude of “Why should I care? I’ll be dead by then” may apply. But for those who are responsible for its survival, it means that something HAS TO BE DONE. Now that is a fact and I know that right wingers have trouble processing facts but there it is.

So what do we do? Well we could simply raise taxes but that means that the current beneficiaries will get the benefit of the taxes that their children and grandchildren will pay in the future.

We could throw some off SS so that others remain untouched – the leaky lifeboat approach I guess you could call it. Obviously an approach that some here are in favor of.

Or we can take a realistic approach and share the pain – increase some taxes (mainly by removing the cap on SS taxes) AND reduce a tiny bit the amount that future beneficiaries get as a cost of living adjustment. (By the way, the SS COLA is based on US cost of living, not the CR cost of living so I assume that most of you getting benefits are already coming out ahead when you get your annual COLA adjustment).

For the record I am 56, plan on retiring at 62 – on SS – and moving to CR then. So while I am not wild about the plan to change the CPI calculation I am not so selfish that I am adopting a “hell no if it affects me” position.[/quote]

The hard truth is that neither you nor I can change the direction it is headed, whether SS is solvent or broke, there is not a single thing that “we” can do to make a difference.

The power lies in the hands of the elected officials, unless every single one of them is replaced and a fresh new attitude is enacted, it really does not matter what we say here, to our friends, to city councils, to state reps, to congressmen, and senators. Nothing will change untl we the people elect people who are willing to change, and that won’t happen. Did I mention american idol is on and what’s the score of the football game? No one is willing to take a stand and if you do you will be squashed like a bug on a windshield. KW out…….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.