Practice Vs Theory Crisis in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Practice Vs Theory Crisis in Costa Rica

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    2bncr

“If I am wrong, them my apologies, but your post on welfare, food stamps and your whole manner-being offended, implying others are and censoring you and then assigning motives, blame and the like where none is stated nor found, is rather telling……it is typical of the American Neo”

Apologizes accepted.

I have never expressed my opinions on welfare.

Think you have me confused. But nice rant. Feel better?

Try following the topic rather than ranting about the authors.

Obviously I was replying to Sprite with whom I enjoy butting heads… We have a long history of head butts – you I am not familiar with…

camby

[quote=”maravilla”]you’re not one of those people who think the new fines are only for gringos, are you? they are not. and the Tico who gets such a ticket is not making $350 a month. those people can’t afford cars. in my town we have a plethora of hummers, bmw’s, mercedes, and even a porsche and that doesn’t include the high-end monster trucks that Ticos like so much. nobody who is making that low wage has a car — and i am willing to bet on that.[/quote]

would agree with the Tico/gringo comments and those of my recent opponent in debates here.
    When in Rome, etc…
    and only not opposed to Godly order….in CR, its is NOT my country, hence unlike AMericans that come, complain and then leave when CR does not resemble a Neocon fantasy, replete with Walmarts, I try to blend in and live/let live…..my voice raised only when there is a wrong, as would be anywhere……..and esp, when talking about a culture/people that are fellow Catholics (hence, my recent signing up and blasting opinions in Malta Times…..) Not my country, there, but my “people” ie, Catholics

maravilla

wow — you think driving a 7 year old car makes you look poor???? in the town where i used to live in Colorado, which was the 6th richest county in America a few years ago, we have a high number of billionaires who live in my neighborhood. they drive cars in excess of $100,000, and usually have more than one. I drive a 1986 Volvo station wagon. i can’t even count the number of times one of those rich dudes — usually it’s a woman — has gotten right behind my back bumper and either honked or flashed her lights, indicating that she would like ME to get out of HER way — after all, she is the rich person driving to her home in the ritziest part of the town, where i also live (in one of the smallest houses compared to the 20,000 sq foot houses they have been building lately.) so looks are deceiving and one really shouldn’t make judgments about superficial stuff such as the cars people drive. i would bet in the final analysis, i am worth more than some of the rich dudes because my car was paid for and i have no debt whatsoever!! but i have experienced that kind of discrimination, which i find totally amusing, and actually feel sorry for the rich dudes because they think they are so much better off than anyone else. but i knew dirt about these people that told me otherwise — i wouldn’t trade my simple life for theirs any day, ever! behind the patina of social acceptance there was usually more dirty laundry than you could imagine and some of the things i knew about these people were absolutely shocking!! Driving a Boxster doesn’t necessarily make you a nice person.

camby

My point to our fellow is that looks can be deceiving…..

that said, know what you mean, the arrogance some have to those not willing to be flashy enough or snobbish enough in cars,things….

Our cars are paid for too, a nice feeling. Bought my wife’s Ford Mustang 2010 for her and paid cash, nice feeling. It was not the flashiest model, nor all the bells/whistles, but she really wanted one, most of her life has been sick (likely, I will outlive her by many yrs-PM me for more personal), has suffered a lot and heck, the inheritance was hers….She deserves it and more, so, happy Christmas to her 2010.

We live in an area very status conscience, even in this economy and with the “new southerners” and yankees, becoming very snobby. Old school southerners normally, not as flashy-many very non-discreipt, despite wealth…

but yes, one should not judge by the car alone………our EBT lady noted above may have borrowed, won the car or now, poor, whereas she was not prior……the car could be the only thing left of a former lifestyle……..rich one day, on EBT the next….I see it a lot in Medicaid cases, more and more now are higher educated and better earnings then a few yrs ago……..

camby

[quote=”maravilla”]. I drive a 1986 Volvo station wagon.[/quote]

My Padre got one of those a year-two back, wanted one like he saw when he was in High School…..spent a few bucks to get in fixed up and painted…….Long, boxey volvo station wagon (at time, had 2 big dogs, now down to one)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.