Perpetual tourist concerns

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Perpetual tourist concerns

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    tominbvi

Hello everyone
    Has anyone ever heard of Expats that own a home in Costa Rica be denied entry due to the amount of visits? I am curious as we plan to use our CR home which is now under construction for at least 6 to 8 months a year and spend the remainder of the time in the US. We are to young to retire and after building this home it would not be possible to deposit the required $120,000.00 in a CR bank. I really don’t think that owning property in CR would make a difference to immigration. We don’t know if immigration considers staying in CR 6 to 8 months a year to long a period and considers you a perpetual tourist

DavidCMurray
    Participant

If you can qualify for Costa Rican residency, you must then spend four months a year here in Costa Rica. Those four months do not have to be continuous, but Immigration will check when you go to renew your residency. Having the status of legal resident virtually guarantees you entry rights into Costa Rica.

Having Costa Rican residency has no effect whatsoever on your United States citizenship or residency there. You can be a resident of both countries as long as you meet those “in country” requirements as well as all the other requirements. You’ll still have to pay taxes. You’ll retain your voting rights in the U.S. And so on . . .

You need to consult a knowledgeable Costa Rican attorney about the ramifications of not filing for residency. Our attorney has been told by the Minister of Immigration that they are or will soon be cracking down on “perpetual tourists” by denying them re-entry.

deb

Speaking of perpetual tourists; if one is working on obtaining residency (already here) and has been here more than 90 days I know you must leave the country for a period of time. I am confused re how long you must leave. I read in more than one place that you could basically cross the border and then return. Other times I read you must spend 72 hrs hours in another country. Can someone clarify this please? Also, if it is 72 hrs, does any one know of an inexpensive place to stay while in Panama?

dkt2u

There are plenty of inexpensive places in Panama, it depends on where in Panama you want to go. We go to Bocas Del Toro quite often and stay at a small place right on the water for $28 a night. Bocas is relatively inexpensive to get to also if you want to travel on a budget. We use the bus system which is very efficient. We catch a bus in Jaco which is about $2.50 each to San Jose. A 1000 colone cab to the Caribbean bus terminal. $9.50 bus ticket each to Sixiola at the Panama border. $10 cab to the water taxi. $6.00 each for the water taxi to Bocas. So we travel all the way from Jaco on the Pacific side of Costa Rica, to the islands in Panama in the Caribbean for $49. You do have a $5.00 tourist card that each of you have to purchase when entering Panama, so keep that in mind as part of the expense as well.

*Lotus

If the rules are you have to leave after 90 days as long as you do this what’s the problem? Is there any law that says you can not continue this out to Panama then back to C.R.? On what grounds would the immigration say you are not allowed back, you are a “perpetual tourist”? If they don’t want you doing this then why not have a law that states you can spend 90 days a year there then need a special visa, apply for residency etc…

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Once your application for residency has been accepted by Immigration for processing, the requirement to leave Costa Rica for 72 hours every ninety days no longer applies. Your attorney/notary can provide you with verification of your pending residency status. But the application must be complete, legitimate, and formally accepted.

It must be Costa Rica’s intent that those who would be residents of the country actually be residents of the country. Perpetual tourists are not. At the very least, the residency requirement and process is intended to weed out undesirables who, were it not enforced, could hide out here forever. Certainly Costa Rica, like any other civilized country, is not looking to become a haven for fugitives, criminals or others who would not qualify for residency were they to apply. That’s why a police background check in one’s country of origin and an Interpol check are part of the process.

Would you have it any other way?

*Lotus

I was just curious about how the “law” is applied/enforced and when enough is enough regarding scooting in and out of the country. I have no plans to live in Costa Rica for at least 10-15 years.

diego

They have been saying they are going to crack down ever since 911. That’s been what 6 years now? Have they? If you haven’t figured it out by know for the most part CR law enforcement is almost all bark and no bite.

It’s the same old practice vs theory scenario. In theory you are supposed to be a resident to stay long periods of time. In practice thousands of people come and go as they wish.

Besides obeying the law, what are the advantages of residency – cheap Sansa flights?

Seriously can anybody give me a list of advantages? SERIOUSLY – I didn’t think so.

If you are working here at a business that requires 24/7 participation IE restaurant/hotel, I understand. But even so, leaving the country for 12 days a year isn’t going to collapse your biz.

Back in the good old days CR was a place for independent thinker types. The good little followers stayed at home in the land of the followers protected (so they assume) by their massive government (pick any 1st world country).

That’s what I love about CR, the Tico aren’t good little followers. Try putting the laws of God in front of the laws of man if you want to be free.

This all goes back to CATA of course and CR becoming a good little follower nation. CAFTA will provide more social cushion in exchange for good little follower status. You can see why I have my CR exit strategy firmly in place. I’ll give it about 5 years max.

Imxploring
    Participant

All points well taken Diego. As much as I agree I find that doing things the right way is usually best. I don’t see CR cracking down on “good” PT’s… as with any law I’m sure it will be selectively enforced and used in situations when needed.

As for the issue of CR’s future and it’s role in the world… I’d like to think that it’s got more of a chance at a longer run than 5 years… but what is your exit strategy? Where are we running off to next?

diego

Imxploring,

Ever hear the story about the two bulls up on the hill overlooking a heard of cows?

One’s an old bull and the other is a young bull. The young bull says to the old bull “Lets run down there and **** us some cows!!!”

The old bull says “No. Lets walk down there and **** em all.”

I am old bull, I don’t run, I walk. Even if I told you where I was walking to, you wouldn’t believe it. And then of course I’d have to **** you! Just kidding (I think). I could fill you with misinformation but I’ll spare you the chatter.

Anyways it’s a trade secret. I’ve already spent years there and going to make more in real estate speculation than California and Costa Rica combined!!! And have a ton of fun doing it in shorts, sandals and funky cars up to my ears in *****.

Imxploring – it not for the follwers that’s for sure, nothing timid about where I’m going next. But if you guess it – I’ll give it up!

One guess per person!

diego

One more thing, I am still waiting for a good reason to become a resident. Anybody have one (beside the legall thing)?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Here’s a good reason: As a resident, you can enroll in the CAJA medical system.

And another: As an applicant for residency or an approved resident, you can purchase health insurance from INS.

And a third: If you play by the rules, you’ll never have to wonder if the next time you return to Costa Rica will be just after Immigration has lowered the boom.

diego

You just proved my point. There are no GOOD reasons. Caja?? Remove the J and add a C.

INS medical, I am not to sure about that but if I had something seriously wrong with me its back to the US baby. I wouldn’t even have a hemoroidectomy in CR. Nothing but the best doctors for this body and they aint in CR.

Oh and by the way, I will be staying up at night worrying that CR doesn’t want our money, because if they didn’t let us PTs in money would be pourng out so fast that it would make you barf your gallo pinto.

Caja!!! LOL

genn789

Well now we know who and what you are…… a profiteer….. just here for your own wallet and the good weather….. very good reasons….. Costa Rica is absolutely waiting for your kind of people…..

*Lotus

Cuba, the funky cars is the give away senor old bull…by the way I like that story, a good laugh is great in the morning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.