People with unrealistic pipe dreams!

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum People with unrealistic pipe dreams!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    scottbenson

After reading the article “Living in Costa Rica – From San Francisco to Samara to Atenas” I had to laugh because too many people have a unrealistic dream of Costa Rica. I am not trying to burst their buble but try to paint the true realistic of a average life in CR.
    You can see by the pictures that this couple has had a good life, maybe came from money or just made a killing in the housing market before it crashed in Cali. (which is part of the reason why the U.S. is having a heart attack now from the greedy people that wanted to see their home values double in a year.)
    In the article it stated “Weekends, which were supposed to be fun, soon became full of work too; for laundry, cleaning the house, going to the supermarket, the occasional home repair, car repair, or veterinary visit.” I remember growing up in the Midwest and on the week ends I had to cut the grass or help fix the house do the normal chores that could not be done during the week because my parents had to work and I had to go to school.
    Now fast forward to CR this year when my wife and I came home for the holidays for two weeks. I spent about 50 percent or more of my time rewiring electricity, plumbing, roofing and taking the dogs out for a walk (6 dogs, takes a long time) all of this with a 18 month old baby.
    People see the incredible pictures and think this is paridise I can just kick back and have an incredible life with out having to work for it. THIS IS NOT NORMAL , Ticos have to work harder than ever because of the raising cost of living! When you go to the Tres Rios mall and spend 60 dollars for a shirt or a hundred dollars for a pair of shoes this is the reality and not the pipe dream.

Edited on Jan 24, 2009 08:21

sprite

The story also made me raise an eyebrow. It sounded to me as if the couple had accumulated a good bit of wealth before embarking on a very long vacation. If they have enough money, they can continue the vacation forever and pay somebody else to do the normal daily maintanince work that most everybody else has to do for themselves.

The article raised many questions about their situation, so many that it relegated the gist of the story irrelevant. Is life in Costa Rica good? That depends a whole lot on your financial and emotional situation. It depends upon your expectations and your preparedness for living in another culture. Since we weren’t given any details on these matters, we were left with platitudes and vague, lofty aspirations to a simpler life. I doubted that this couple was looking for a simpler life. It seemed they were more interested in an easier and more comfortable life at a lower cost than they would have paid in the U.S.. That is not necessarily the same thing as a simple life, is it?

Moving to Costa Rica just to stretch your dollars doesn’t sound like a worthy motive unless you factor in the personal challenges that will most definitely accompany such a move. Nothing is free. Everything has a cost. Costa Rica is a beautiful place and I love it. But I love it with the knowledge that I will have to adapt just as I adapted to my wife’s idiosyncracies after 27 years.

Edited on Jan 24, 2009 09:04

Edited on Jan 24, 2009 09:07

Imxploring
    Participant

A pipe dream is only such until you take the time and make the effort to make it a reality. We all know it takes time and work to make it in life… short of winning the lottery! LOL And for a couple of 30 years olds to just jump in is odd… and most likely very unrealistic. If it’s not… I’m VERY jealous!!! LOL

A fluff story without details is just that…. but intelligent and reasonable people know there’s a LOT more to life. There’s a BUNCH of issues not addressed. I don’t think for a minute the couple highlighted made a killing in real estate or business in the states. They just saw what life was all about, got tired of shoveling against the tide, gave up, and wanted to try another path. Good for them, if they fail, if nothing else it makes for a great photo album and stories when they get old and gray! As to their planning or ability to make this dream a reailty longterm… time will tell.

Sure, some things in CR are cheaper… but life is life… and in the end… it’s all the same! We can all take time-outs now and then… but is it realistic to take one… give up on life… move to another country and make a go of it without a REAL long term plan? I don’t think so.

A long vacation in Costa Rica is wonderful… but when the sink in the bathroom starts to leak… and you have to deal with it… it’s not a vacation any longer. All the day to day things we have to do (laudry being one that comes to mind) are WORK…. and no matter if you’re living in Costa Rica or New York… that all has to be dealt with.

And when the money dries up and you don’t have a plan…

costaricafinca
    Participant

It doesn’t say how long they have actually lived here, just mentions they lived at the beach for 5 months.
    It also doesn’t say that this is their home! There are two different houses shown. One is in the midst of the article on Atenas.
    The other has a caption that reads ‘Luxury home for sale in Atenas’.
    I wonder how long they have lived in Atenas?

Edited on Jan 24, 2009 12:08

Andrew
    Keymaster

But aren’t most dreams “unrealistic”?

It’s only when people begin to plan and make changes in their lives that those dreams can be realized surely?

And you don’t seriously think that today’s ENORMOUS financial problems are due to people wanting the value of their homes to increase? That’s just the easy to understand excuse for the man in the street, it’s not the real reason. The real reason is GREED and not on the part of the homeowners although it’s the man in the street that will foot the bill – as usual.

Some people of course choose NOT to have six dogs and therefore have a few extra hours in their day. The key here is choice isn’t it?

People can choose to fill their lives with lots of things to do and other choose to make their lives as simple as possible. Perhaps they chose to rent a home and maybe their landlord takes care of all the maintenance?

I have made some choices that most people are simply unwilling to make. As an example, I chose to work for myself a very long time ago when people around me wanted the ‘security’ of a job and a regular paycheque but always believing that their kind of ‘security’ was an illusion I am delighted that I have made the choices I have made and have more freedom than 99% of the population, live very well and have no regrets.

After 49 years on this planet so far, I am still trying to make my life simpler and there’s progress progress but as they say, “life is a journey” and I’m having one helluva trip…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

sprite

Chasing down dreams can be challenging. The more work and commitment involved, the more satisfing and the more commendible. However, the article leaves me with the impression that the young couple had enough money so that any choices made about living in Costa Rica could be changed as easily as a tour schedule. I didn’t sense any commitment or risk in their actions. Instead, I seemed to be reading a travel brochure or a short essay by a college couple on how they spent their summer vacation.

albertoB

Wow! What a bitter group of posters.
    Why is it hard to believe that a part time job for an American company wouldn’t pay enough to live comfortably in CR?
    28 year olds don’t live complicated lives like old people, not as much concern for health, too far away to be waiting for pension, no old friends that might go at any minute, family members are young enough that mom and dad might come visit. A whole lot less complicated.
    Or maybe they just didn’t buy into the American dream like you did. Maybe they decided to enjoy life with less of Uncle Sam’s security and enjoy it while they were able.

Good for them. No 12 hour work days, no long commutes and no squeegee kids. Life should be enjoyed each day, something might change tomorrow.
    Alberto

Imxploring
    Participant

Don’t confuse bitter with informed. CR is cheaper than the US, sure… but a part-time job supporting yourself won’t cut it here… unless of course you’re living a Tico life… raising your own food… working from 5am until dark… and not having fun on the “weekends” but are instead working. And I think that lifesytle was what they were escaping in the US. As much as I’d like to think it’s possible… I think we know it’s most likely not.

If it is the case… I’d love tp read a follow-up story about how it’s done… THAT would be a great addition to this site! And BOY would it make me jealous!!! LOL

albertoB

The way I read it, they moved from San Francisco ( home of Silicon Valley) Even a part time job through a company there would pay $50k per year.
    He said he had to have high speed internet, he probably has connections with companies where he came from and could work from anywhere in the world.
    He never said he had a part time job in CR. That would be illegal, right?

There are a lot of posters on this board with similar outlooks on their CR experience, but look around outside your box, some people don’t live within “goals” or “long term plans” they just enjoy what ever is ahead.

A younger generation has not seen the value in 40 years of dedication to one company. All they have seen is large corporations doing layoffs. Pension plans are largely a myth to them. They see parents spend the healthiest years of their lives working so they can spend their last years wishing they had better health now that they have time.

Imxploring
    Participant

Alberto… have you read about what’s going on in Silicon Valley these days… LOTS of unemployed people. And if it was difficult making it there (not even sure that’s where they were working) when both of them were working… I’m guessing tele-communting is even rougher, and much less rewarding.

Living for today is nice… but is that the kind of life any of us want? Or one that such a forum as this is intended to assist? We’ve all seen the long hair, guitar, and a pound of weed types that think the world is theirs for the taking… that think they have it all… or the types that think a higher power will provide. Neither is really my cup of tea.

I agree the rules have changed in the working world… but one still has to have some type of a workable “plan” to make such a move to another country attempting to make a fresh start. We’ve all seen people come and go from their CR experience… some were running from something…. others to something… but the common thread I’ve seen is those that didn’t have a sucessful outcome were those without a plan… or unrealistic expectations. I’d love to see a follow up in 1 year… be it good or bad.

sprite

I would just love to read how many of these people who are not retirees are providing for themselves in Costa Rica. Scott has let us know how he has done it. What is the big secret about personal finances that so many people won’t even give out the most general and basic description of what they do for money? If it is a legal endeavor, let’s hear about it. I am curious.

If it is not legal, then don’t bother posting how you are enjoying the “pura vida” and giving the impression that anyone who wants to come here and enjoy it can do so. I don’t want to see any more gringos down here skating under the radar and possibly screwing it up for the rest of us who are here following the legal path to residency.

fatsdomino

I swear, this has got to be the biggest group of grumps I’ve ever come across. AlbertoB actually nailed it here, this seriously is a bitter group of posters. And no I’m not confusing bitter with “informed.”

The general sentiment I’m reading here is “I’m jealous of all who haven’t suffered like I have, and refuse to believe there’s an easier way. Anyone exhibiting happiness or a relaxing lifestyle without having suffered through hardship to get there is a cheater.”

What happened to live and let live? Why is the story of two young people not enjoying the working life so unrealistic? I’ve worked full time 9-5 corporate jobs as well, and you know what, they suck. The same routine every day, working with people you cant stand, human resources, climbing the corporate ladder, battling for promotions, political correctness, casual fridays (express yourself by wearing blue jeans!), and a whopping 2 weeks of vacation each year, hooray!

Excuse me while I throw up…..and then shoot myself.

Maybe it’s just me, but why would anyone aspire to doing that, especially for 30+ years? So you can have a comfortable retirement? Health insurance? A new car? I thought the article made total sense, why sacrifice all the time of your youth in order to enjoy life later? Just because we’re taught to do that, and our parents did that, and everyone else does that, does not mean anyone “has” to do that. The US has a perfect system in place for educating and creating worker bees, and I commend anyone for breaking free from it at any age. And as Alberto mentioned, its a hell of a lot easier to do it in your 20’s as nothing’s tying you down that early in life.

I honestly wish I had their insight and same desire for happiness when I was younger. I didn’t wake up and start making my life what I wanted until much later. And yeah, dealing with the various anchors in life is far more difficult the older you get, as is giving up many of the daily comforts you grow accustomed to.

In regards to Sprite’s comment “The more work and commitment involved, the more satisfying and the more commendable.” I see your point, but disagree whole heartedly in this case. Whats commendable here is the fact this couple recognized early on that the 9-5 working life wasn’t for them, and got out. I think its far more commendable that they DIDN’T waste 30-40 years working before deciding to enjoy life. I would actually feel sorry for them if they had, as I do for most worker bees.

Also, its not like they “gave up” anything by coming out here. Corporate America isn’t going anywhere. If their life here turns out terrible for some reason, they can just go back to the US, go to work again, and resume their previous lives. Corporate jobs will always be there, and as long as you’re not borderline retarded, it’s pretty easy to get one. (Although maybe I’m biased because I’ve had to interview people before and know how hard it is to find someone halfway decent, regardless of the economic conditions.)

The only thing not fully disclosed here is the current source of income for these people. Well as Scott mentioned in the previous thread on this article, there is a certain right to privacy that should be respected. This couple shared their story, presented a lifestyle that’s not “conventional” or “normal” like people here are accustomed to seeing, and anyone reading it should be appreciative. Maybe its just me, but instantly asking them how they make their money isnt really appropriate, or anyone elses business.

To the bitter people on this board, why cant you just accept that some people have easy lives, and enjoy them on a day to day basis? If they’re so wrong, and your method of working, waiting, suffering, and planning is so right, they just sit back relax and let time tell the tale. You should be able to rest assured knowing you’re doing the right thing, and not feel the need to make accusations of “unrealistic pipe dreams.” Its not anyone’s job here to say what can or cant be done in life, just take care of yourself, those you care about, and leave it at that.

I normally dont waste the free time I have spewing out negativity from every orifice on my body, but it seems some here just cant help it. I hope for your sake you take some time to be happy in Costa Rica, instead of just accusing other people of screwing it up for you. If anything is screwed up for you, take a look at your own actions first.

Live and let live people….

sprite

Jeez..take a breath. I am only curious as to whether or not we are reading about lives lived in harmony with the rest of the world, or lives lived under the legal radar and at odds with the rest of the world. You can keep your privacy but if you parade around with a colorful flag proclaiming all is beauty and peace, I will want to see your credentials.

Imxploring
    Participant

Well said Sprite… and right on point. If I want to read fantasy I’ll hit the paperback section at the drug store.

moonbanks

More power to this couple..I for one fully support there actions….Damn happy for them

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.