Own corporation to establish residency

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Own corporation to establish residency

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    jennylynn

We are finalizing getting our corporation established…

Will be developing property using some local workers.. help with resource in being able move down there and set up residency thru corporation talk to my cr lawyer??? is he my best resource??????

want to avoid pitfalls…..

jen

Andrew
    Keymaster

It’s easy to establish a corporation, anybody can do that…

Just because you want to “develop property using local workers” does not mean that the Costa Rican government will bend over backwards to give you residence.

You need to establish the correct residency that will allow you to do what you want to do and this should have been done BEFORE you decided to “develop.”

Please contact your attorney ASAP and ask him or her to look into this for you.

You may also wish to see

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Scott is correct. Establishing a corporation is easy, and it benefits you little with regard to establishing residency. You and your attorney, who should be well grounded in residency matters (not all attorneys are) should go over all the categories of residency to determine which, if any, you can qualify for. Only with a firm grip on the feasibility of obtaining residency should you commit resources to developing property unless you envision doing this from outside the country.

diego

HOGWASH – I have developed property for twenty years in CR and I am not a resident. There is practice and there is theory. CR is 90% practice. Don’t let the theorist snag you with the “let me educate you” line to capture your money regarding how its done theoretically. Theory and practice in CR walk different roads. CR doesn’t need anymore US mindset, its poluted enough, not with American, but with indoctrinated mind sets regarding life and living.

IE: If you submitted an entitlement package for a good size development and followed the theory of how to submit it, you would go directly to the end of the line and stay there awhile.

You have to fit in with the status quo and the CR way of doing things, for the most part, has not caught up with the written theory. Or – is it that Ticos do not like being good little followers. Like the American mindset. Maybe they are not indoctrinated to blindly do as they are told by the almighty LAW – even if they are bad laws.

Please do not be the good little social security number in CR, this is a place with heart where people are humans first then job titles later. If you are going to do things here pay your dues and learn how the Ticos do them. Don’t reinvent the wheel, it doesn’t need to be perfectly round in your eyes, it just needs to roll. And thank God the CR wheel rolls slowly.

Andrew
    Keymaster

It’s not hogwash Diego – we’re not talking about the last 20 years, we’re talking about today and immigration is definitely, absolutely getting tougher, that ain’t ‘theory’ that’s ‘fact.’

Whether we feel they are “bad laws” or not, we can not and will not allow anyone on this forum to recommend any strategy that would be against the law in Costa Rica.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

diego

Scott,

With all due respect senor, is it against the law to develop property in CR without being a resident???

I reread my post and I do not see any suggestions of doing anything illegal in CR.

A great American once said that if a law is unjust than it is the responsibility of its citizens to break it and overfill the jails. It is the theory of civil disobedience. My point is that Ticos for the most part are great examples of a civil disobedient culture, just look at their driving habits (LOL).

PS I did read between the lines.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I was referring to your comment about “bad laws.”

If you knew me, you would know that I have little respect for many laws and have had three major financial disasters in my life – all three with a particular breed of attorney – but…

This website reaches a lot of people and there can be no misunderstanding or confusion in the minds of our VIP Members that we will NEVER recommend that people ignore, bend or break Costa Rica laws no matter how bloody stupid they are.

I wholeheartedly wish we were seeing more civil disobedience in some other countries but that’s another story …

Best wishes

Scott Oliver
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You are certainly correct, Diego, that it is the responsibility of good citizens to resist unjust laws and “fill the jails”. The question, however, is just what is it you propose to fill those jails with?

Now if we’re talking about your body, that suits me fine; however, this cowboy’s a** is gonna avoid going to any jail, Costa Rican, American, or any other, at virtually any cost. If that means complying with a law which, so far, doesn’t seem at all unjust to me, then that’s the way it’s going to be.

Should we make arrangements to forward your mail?

diego

That is not the view of a patriot sir. I belive your attitude is cowardly.

Andrew
    Keymaster

“By golly! That’s fighting talk sir!”

How does one conduct a duel in Costa Rica? 🙂

I love this place … The forum and the country!

Scott Oliver
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The foregoing bit of nonsense is brought to you courtesy of one who has, obviously, never actually seen the inside of a penal institution. As one who has, I can assure you that any reasonable person would not voluntarily help fill one over a matter as trivial as the Costa Rican residency requirements.

This discussion is particularly ironic in light of the current nationwide rant in the U.S. about illegal immigrantion. There, the general sentiment seems to be that the country (the U.S., that is) has an intrinsic right to and interest in the control of its borders and to regulate who crosses them. Here, however, Sr. Diego would have us take the position that anyone should have an unfettered right to enter Costa Rica and stay for as long as s/he chooses.

So much for Costa Rican soverignty . . .

BTW . . . “cowardice” /= “contempt for the law”.

diego

You make a lot of assumptions sir. I remember “Burrito Night” as being every Monday.

Reasonable has nothing to do with it, and I guess that you call thousands of Indian citizens and Gandhi “unreasonable.” And that they were. Courage at times requires the suppression of reason.

I wrote broadly, you infer I was requesting people fill jails to oppose an immigration law that no one pays attention to. Get over your greed for rightness.

I never even implied that people have the right to stay as long as they wish too. Take another hit of arrogance and put a few more words in my mouth while you are at it.

The law states that you can stay in the country 90 days and that you must leave for 72 hours before returning.

Sorry to offend your conservative hogwash dribble, you have obviously taken it personal sir. 20 paces then fire!

Imxploring
    Participant

I think we’ve fallen a bit off topic…. let’s get back on point. First off the question was in reference to the relationship between forming an S.A. and it’s use in obtaining residency… the answer is quite simple. THERE IS NONE. The only residency status associated with business would be the investor status which requires financial INVESTMENT in a business. The amounts and types of business are questions a good attorney would have to field. Forming an S.A. cost about $300… not nearly enough to buy residency.

As for the need or lack of need to obtain residency to operate a business. That’s an issue up to the person taking that risk. No doubt the CR government has been quite easy on the issue. That may or may not change. Time will tell. Better to do things the right way and not worry about potential selective enforcement should you run afoul of the system.

As for the issue of going to jail for unjust laws… how is it that we for a minute see the residency and immagration laws of Costa Rica, which include several options, as unjust? And for those thinking they will be “protesting” their “right” to break them from a jail cell… think about it for a minute… more likely you’ll be put on a plane for home and told not to come back… It’s difficult to run a business as a PT… imagine how hard it is via e-mail and the phone!

scottbenson

To me this own corporation is just a way to skirt away from the law. Some day the Ticos will change the laws to close this loop whole. I hope that day will come soon!

By the way what do people think about the artical in todays AM paper about the gringos being sued by another gringo that hurt his back on thier boat.?

Edited on May 03, 2007 20:36

diego

scottbenson wrote:
    I totally agree with you on this Diego!!
    You do have to play by the Tico Rules!

Yes you do.

Why the edit???

Don D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.