Obamacare and living overseas in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Obamacare and living overseas in Costa Rica

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    VictoriaLST

Oops. Looks like I am a compidiot 🙁

Andrew
    Keymaster

[b][size=200]This thread has definitely run it’s course – No more posts here please! [/size][/b]

VictoriaLST

Awwwwww shoot.

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”sweikert925″]
    Dear sir,
    We can’t answer your question.
    [/quote]

Doncha luv mindless bureaucrats:?:

Andrew
    Keymaster

Your tax dolars at work!

(I left out the extra ‘l’ deliberately because the dollar only buys you half as much as it used to)

Arntcha’ proud?

Scott

waggoner41

[quote=”sweikert925″]According to the IRS:

11. Are US citizens living abroad subject to the individual shared responsibility provision?

Yes. However, US citizens who live abroad for a calendar year (or at least 330 days within a 12 month period) are treated as having minimum essential coverage for the year (or period). These are individuals who qualify for an exclusion from income under section 911 of the Code. See Publication 54 for further information on the section 911 exclusion. They need take no further action to comply with the individual shared responsibility provision.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Questions-and-Answers-on-the-Individual-Shared-Responsibility-Provision%5B/quote%5D

Since you seem to understand the situation far better than I do, I have a question.

My income is from Social Security and a pension of under $500 per month. I never joined Medicare but opted for Caja when I found out about it.

Am I going to be required to participate in the shared responsibility provision? 😕

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”sweikert925″]According to the IRS:

11. Are US citizens living abroad subject to the individual shared responsibility provision?

Yes. However, US citizens who live abroad for a calendar year (or at least 330 days within a 12 month period) are treated as having minimum essential coverage for the year (or period). These are individuals who qualify for an exclusion from income under section 911 of the Code. See Publication 54 for further information on the section 911 exclusion. They need take no further action to comply with the individual shared responsibility provision.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Questions-and-Answers-on-the-Individual-Shared-Responsibility-Provision%5B/quote%5D

Since you seem to understand the situation far better than I do, I have a question.

My income is from Social Security and a pension of under $500 per month. I never joined Medicare but opted for Caja when I found out about it.

Am I going to be required to participate in the shared responsibility provision? :?[/quote]

Even if your current intention is to never to return to the US you should have registered for Medicare when you turned 65….. you never know if at some point you will be forced to return to the US for medical care and be subject to the new rules.

davidd

[quote=”sweikert925″]I decided to contact the US State Department directly about this question also – and to point out how inadequate the response I received from the US embassy in CR was. Let’s see if that generates anything useful.[/quote]

Sweikert

you go boy!!!

who’s better than you?? :):):):):)

btw this article may interest you 😮

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/26/supreme-court-strikes-down-defense-marriage-act-provision/

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.