Nicaragua Getting Cozy with Russia

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Nicaragua Getting Cozy with Russia

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    scottbenson

yes. that tour guide was a native and only had a husband that worked in the state department.

But it is ok, you just think the way you think and the world will turn around you. You are so clueless and wouldnt know what is really going on down in most of the regions because you are too busy slaming the only country that has the will to help.

You can read all the fiction books that you want but until you live the life just talk to the hand.

maravilla

get your big head out of the spot where the sun don’t shine and start learning what this country has done in other places. it’s hardly fiction, my dear boy, these are documented books on the tyranny and destruction the US has wrought on latin america orchestrated by the CIA, for starters. Aid smaid, we only give it when some country has something we want. you are truly one of the most naive and dare i say ignorant people i have ever come across. but then you are the perfect drone, never think outside the box, scott, it might scare the hell out of you. i DARE you to read either of those books i suggested. The Art of Political Murder is about the death squads in Guatemala. All historical fact, Scott, not fiction.

scottbenson

Maravil,

I think you need to take a realty check, this is not the wild 70’s and you don’t have a clue on how big of a impact that the U.S. has even made in Costa Rica this year alone. You wouldn’t know because you are too busy bashing and reading your books.

Where do you think Costa Rica gets most of its humanitarian aid from? England, China? Do you think that if the U.S. stopped helping out Costa Rica that they would feel a impact?

If you think the U.S. only gives for favors you should see what Chav does! Or how about China, do you think they would like to have the vote from Costa Rica against Ti?

In Central and South America it is a race for U.S. Chav and China, I know that people in central and south would like to see the U.S. win that race because Chav says one thing and does another.

On the other had maybe you should keep your rose colord glasses on so that don’t see the poverty like the Nicas have to endur with the promisses of Chav!

bradbard

“Realty check”?

“Endur”?

“Rose colord”

Maybe you should read more of the books that Maravilla is reading scottbenson and you might learn how to “rite’n spel gooder.” Seems to me that you are the one looking at US foreign affairs through rose COLORED glasses on.

*Lotus

I think we are talking about two separate things here, sure the US gives out a lot of foreign aid that can certainly be documented. But also the historical truth of the actions of our military/CIA/government in places from Iran to Nicaragua have been brutal and self serving. None of us are saying we are all bad, but certainly we are not all good. But lets remember that Scott is in the US military so of course it would be very difficult to have any kind of negative view of his country. The brainwashing has to be deep or else in a time of battle/unrest you could not kill your fellow man. I am not being sarcastic here but that is how the military trains men/woman…Scott is just being a good soldier.

rafaelo

For whatever its worth, reading back my replies I kind of feel bad acting like a Nazi telling everyone to shut up when commenting about Chavez/Venezuela, everyone should be free to express his opinions, for me neither Bush/Chavez are helping the world with their acting, I really wish some future president could exercise the power just in the very middle line that those two are doing now.

Imxploring
    Participant

Whatever your opinion… remember… if not for Uncle Sam and the US of A…. this world would be a much worse place… besides being all German speaking! You can label the US whatever you want… but remember…. your freedom and right to do so was secured by what she stands for. Sure she’s made mistakes… and got involved where she should not have… but when the WHOLE record is reviewed… the GOOD out weighs the bad!

*Lotus

I also have enjoyed the freedoms of living in the US, but can not agree the “good out weighs the bad”. Starting with the murder of 95% of the original indigenous population, the enslavement/murder of 7-10 million African slaves, south American/central American wars, Haiti, the over throwing of a democratically elected president in Iran, replaced with the Shah, Vietnam “war”, Iraq war, dropping A-bombs on Japan..this is all collective madness and goes beyond simplifications of quantifying the actions as more good than bad. And yes we can write the same things about many other countries, I just don’t see the rational in saying history will judge as good? If a man was to kill all of your family, then had an epiphany that his ways were wrong and became a priest would you still judge him as more good than evil? Why is there this need to feel patriotic just because you were born in a particular georaphic area? If in our hearts we could see all the world as our home all other humans as our brothers and sisters that would be a good start. we are all simply manipulated by the governments that happen to rule during our life, our DNA is all the same, not american, african, german…Human.

bradbard

Allelujah Lotus!

I salute you as someone who sees the light! Someone who can see through the patriotic/media/political BS to see the TRUTH.

Heaven and hell are right here on earth folks and it’s human actions that are transforming what should be heaven into hell.

Imxploring
    Participant

Lotus… I find it odd that with all the history to point to that you miss perhaps the BIGGEST issue… did WW II never happen in the books that you read? Did Hitler NOT kill millions of people with the intent to control the entire world and kill millions more? You point to the dropping of the A-Bomb… as if it was some action the US took on without provocation or reason (perhaps some ripped the pages out of your history books about Pearl Harbor)…. As for indigenous populations… I hate to think you don’t see the same thing happening in Costa Rica… have you been to any of the homes of the ORIGINAL residents of this wonderful country… seems they didn’t fair very well with the changes. NONE of which were the results of the actions of the US.

No doubt there’s been some real screw ups in this nations past… but to think the world would be a BETTER place without the actions of the US (the good and the bad) is pretty foolhardy!

Let’s turn back the clock 100 years and NOT have the US involve itself as it has… I’ll leave it to the reader to take a LONG hard look at history and re-write it without the USA getting involved! First thing… you better be able to write it in German!

*Lotus

You miss my point I am not judging just excepting the reality of things as they are.You make the silly assertion that the “good out weighs the bad”…I simply accept there is good and bad. Regarding history many have attempted to colonise big parts of the planet. The Romans, Mongolians, British, Ottoman empire etc etc…Oh and lets not forget the Russians-Stalin murdered over 10 million. You seem fixated on the Germans are the actions of Americans any less evil than what the Germans did? The wholesale slaughter of the entire indigenous population? The killing of over 6 million Africans? The killing of up to 2 million Vietnamese civilians,Iraqi civilians? By the way these countries did not attack us, regarding the 9/11 murderers they were Saudis.The world has been around for quite sometime the US only about 233 years, somehow I think it would survive without us, for better or worse I really don’t know I am not a fortune teller. Again I just try to accept things for what they are.

Imxploring
    Participant

So my point is missed on you…. is the world a better or worse place over the last 100 years with or without the US? Is it your opinion that the bad out weighs the good when it comes to US involvement in world events over that time frame?

We can debate the native American issue and slavery… but that’s 200 years in the past… long before America was a world player changing the path of history…. let’s talk about the USA during the period when it’s been a world power able to take action to change the path of history.

*Lotus

In my opinion your patriotism blinds you, for an alternative to what you have learned perhaps reading “The Peoples History of the United States” would provide another perspective. You are fixated on the USA’s involvement in WW 2. first off we became involved pretty late in the game and quite frankly the Russians had more to do with defeating the Germans than the US.
    “The Soviet Union contributed to the defeat of Nazi Germany more than any other country, in fact, more than all other countries combined.
    According to estimates, USSR destroyed 75-80% of living forces of the Wermacht and even higher percentage of armored forces. Operation Bagration alone destroyed as much German forces as allies (USA and Britain) destroyed throughout the war. In fact, without Bagration, allied landing would not be possible, because Hitler had to draw all his elite armored units from western front to eastern, to stop the Russian’s, who were virtually on a rampage.”

Germany was stretched to thin and Hitler had lost his mind, in your game of good out weighing bad you are lucky you are not speaking Russian and making tin buckets. Again this is not about bashing the US it’s about a proper historical perspective, not a fanatical patriotic view that blinds us to the truth. No it’s not all bad…but it certainly ain’t all good and it’s not just America it’s the history of most “world powers”. I am only referring to government action here let’s not even get started on corporate America, the food industry, tobacco, big pharma oh yeah and the mortgage folks. I love Americans and the natural beauty of this great land, I love the ideas that Ben Franklin, Jefferson and Washington had….these day I see very little of what these gentleman had in mind.
    And by the way Vietnam, Haiti,Iraq,Cambodia,Korea,Central & South American conflicts are not ancient history.

Imxploring
    Participant

Lotus… I’m not blinded by patriotism… nor do I have a problem reading or understanding facts or history. I’m very aware of world history, taken for what it is and reading between the lines. I see the good and bad… but look to make a conclusion as to the weight of both and determine the overall benefit. But you selectively pick parts of it to try to make your point. Your view that the Soviets somehow “won” (By beating up on Hitler’s army in their fight to save their homeland) WWII for us is a bit off base isn’t it? So we got into the game late… so what! The Soviets were fighting to save their OWN rear ends! I guess using that logic Hilter had more to do with who won WWII if you want to make that arguement… he didn’t learn from history. He made tactical errors, moved on bad intell… put ego before reality… pressed forward on a front he wasn’t prepared for or equipped to win. So perhaps we should give Hitler credit for winning WWII for us by his blunders.

The battle never came to American shores yet we took up the fight. Something has to be said for that… but perhaps you have another view.

Did the Soviets have anything to do with defending England? Invading France or Europe…. how about freeing Europe or how about the Africa campaign? We’ll skip the whole Pacific campaign and the fight with Japan. The Soviets missed that fight too I believe… or perhaps they defeated Japan for us too? WWII had MANY fronts… The Soviets were fighting to save their homeland…. and Hitler was foolish enough to keep pressing on.

As for your comment “Germany was stretched to thin and Hitler had lost his mind, in your game of good out weighing bad you are lucky you are not speaking Russian and making tin buckets.”… am I missing something here…. weren’t we both on the same side fighting Hitler?

I agree with your comment…”And by the way Vietnam, Haiti,Iraq,Cambodia,Korea,Central & South American conflicts are not ancient history.”… Hence, I’ve included that in my 100 year time frame.

But once AGAIN I have to ask you a SIMPLE very digital question…. it’s yes or no…. one or zero… IS the world a better place because of the US over the past 100 years? Take into account the good… the bad… the ugly… our actions… our assistance to nations… our advances in science… our flaws… the TOTAL package!

Perhaps it’s YOUR blindness and cloaked hate of the US and it’s actions that doesn’t allow you to answer a VERY simple question and defend it? IS THE WORLD BETTER OFF WITH OR WITHOUT THE US OVER THE PAST 100 YEARS??

Please don’t try to give me another history lesson, I find your views interesting but quite transparent… ONLY A CONCLUSION!

Edited on Oct 12, 2008 15:32

*Lotus

You are just baiting at this point, defending your ego or what you perceive to be who you are-an American. I will conclude you would make a good politician, NO where in anything I have written do I profess a “cloaked Hatred” for America, no where in anything I have written says America is all bad. Is the world a better pace because of the US? We could can say the same about China, Iran, Germany, Russia,Italy, Africa and on and on…have the people in these places made the world a better place? You made some reference about us speaking German and thank the US we are are not. You are wrong sir, the Russians were mostly responsible for defeating Germany that is not my opinion but a recognized historical truth, look it up. Your statement we are lucky we don’t speak German is even sillier, at what point would the Germans have launched an attack on the US, conquered us and forced us to to speak German? Would that have been after the Russian troops stormed Berlin and Hitler had taken his own life? You have written nothing that brings something new to the table, nothing to cause me to ponder or re-think a position, just a provocative statement that I am an America hater.Duh.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.