New Traffic Law Requires Cedula for Driver’s License?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New Traffic Law Requires Cedula for Driver’s License?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

i was thinking about these new rules and i really don’t know why anyone is complaining. i mean, all i’ve heard for 8 years is how screwed up CR is, this that or the other thing is ridiculous, laws aren’t enforced, blah blah blah, and how things would be better if they were more like the US.
    well, now they are. congrats. all the people who whined got just what they wanted.
    until this new set of rules, you could get a bank account with just your passport, same with a DL, and you could start a business. you sure as hell can’t do those things in the States either without proper documentation. imagine some mexican immigrant walking into a Manhattan bank and trying to open an account with his passport. HA! so with each new law they pass, CR is becoming more and more like the first world country we all left. now we even had street addresses, for god’s sake. should’ve left well enough alone. now look what we’ve got. sheesh.

Deke272

Good one!!I see International Living is pitching Ecuador & Peru now….

[quote=”maravilla”]i was thinking about these new rules and i really don’t know why anyone is complaining. i mean, all i’ve heard for 8 years is how screwed up CR is, this that or the other thing is ridiculous, laws aren’t enforced, blah blah blah, and how things would be better if they were more like the US.
    well, now they are. congrats. all the people who whined got just……..
    [/quote]

maravilla

they sent me one newsletter with a headline that read “We were the ones to tell you about Costa Rica, now we’re telling you about Ecuador.” soooooo, i wrote them a letter and thanked them for screwing up this country and then moving on to virgin terroritory where that, too, will wind up like every other place they touted.

davidd

Maravilla

a costa rican national can visit the U.S. and with his passport open up a bank account.

i have 2 friends that did just that 6 months ago

bank of america and HNBC

[quote=”maravilla”]i was thinking about these new rules and i really don’t know why anyone is complaining. i mean, all i’ve heard for 8 years is how screwed up CR is, this that or the other thing is ridiculous, laws aren’t enforced, blah blah blah, and how things would be better if they were more like the US.
    well, now they are. congrats. all the people who whined got just what they wanted.
    until this new set of rules, you could get a bank account with just your passport, same with a DL, and you could start a business. you sure as hell can’t do those things in the States either without proper documentation. imagine some mexican immigrant walking into a Manhattan bank and trying to open an account with his passport. HA! so with each new law they pass, CR is becoming more and more like the first world country we all left. now we even had street addresses, for god’s sake. should’ve left well enough alone. now look what we’ve got. sheesh.
    [/quote]

maravilla

how is that even possible if they don’t have SS numbers?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”davidd”]
    a costa rican national can visit the U.S. and with his passport open up a bank account.

[/quote]

That’s really interesting. Several months ago, I, a U.S. citizen, tried to open an account at HSBC US online and was turned down because I don’t have a physical street address in the U.S. There was no way to talk them into it. A supervisor insisted that it’s against the law.

maravilla

It IS against the law. And the amount of documentation they require is like jumping through hoops of fire.

With their Know Thy Customer program, it just doesn’t make sense that they would give accounts to these people, but hey, what the hell do i know? what did they use as a tax ID number. you don’t get an account ever without that.

davidd

David

2 things

1 is that you have to physically in person open an account

2. they have a address like mailbox etc that forwards all their mail.

if your a foreigner then all you need is a passport

in fact i have a german national that needed a U.S. bank account so he took a few days and flew to the U.S. and opend up an account

i don’t understand how.. all i know is that the U.S. treats tourist alot better than its own citizens

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”davidd”]

[/quote]

That’s really interesting. Several months ago, I, a U.S. citizen, tried to open an account at HSBC US online and was turned down because I don’t have a physical street address in the U.S. There was no way to talk them into it. A supervisor insisted that it’s against the law.
    [/quote]

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I was just informed that, not later than April 26th, every licensed driver in Costa Rica with an Costa Rican driver’s license must provide COSEVI (the licensing authority) with their e-mail address. This is so that you can be informed when you get a ticket, as from a traffic camera.

Here’s a link:

http://trafficlawcostarica.com/2012/2013/02/drivers-must-provide-email-to-transport-authority/

You can print the form, complete it, and submit it at any Transito Police station, at Riteve, at any driver’s license office, or electronically.

maravilla

when i renewed my license last year they asked for my email addy, but i ain’t takin’ any chances so am going to fill out the form for me and hubby and drop it off at transito.

Sometimes I wish the old days back….I applied for residency in 1994 but did not pick up my cedula until 1997 😯 in the meantime I was driving basically without a drivers license. My German one was invalid because I was over the 3 months, and without the Cedula they did not want to give me a C.R. license. Only one time a policeman stopped me, grinned and fined me with 2000 Colones ….. 😀

pdsnickles
    Participant

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”davidd”]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Many illegal immigrants in the U.S. not only have bank accounts but are able to buy cars and other things on credit. Go figure.

Also, while an American will find it difficult to move to Mexico or Costa Rica and work, illegal immigrants do that very easily in the U.S., as well as get free medical care and other free services, free food, etc..

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.