New Traffic Law Requires Cedula for Driver’s License?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New Traffic Law Requires Cedula for Driver’s License?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

There is a lot of conversation in our area that to get a CR driver’s license there is a new law that you must be a resident and have a cedula.

I know the new traffic law came into effect this past week or so, but I haven’t heard anything about the new law that included this requirement.

Can anyone CONFIRM this new requirement?

costaricafinca
    Participant

I read this , where it was posted [i]”Ivy (ARCR staffer) mentioned that COSEVI made a change this Monday that may affect everyone who doesn’t have a cedula.

People who don’t have their cedulas will no longer be allowed to obtain a CR driver’s license using only their passports. For those with Comprobante Requistos who are awaiting their cedulas and who don’t already have their CR driver’s license, they will need to leave the country every 90 days in order to “reset” their home-country driver’s licenses.

Those of us who are in the process of residency and who already have our CR driver’s licenses with our passport #s will not be affected”.[/i]

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]I read this , where it was posted [i]”Ivy (ARCR staffer) mentioned that COSEVI made a change this Monday that may affect everyone who doesn’t have a cedula.

People who don’t have their cedulas will no longer be allowed to obtain a CR driver’s license using only their passports. For those with Comprobante Requistos who are awaiting their cedulas and who don’t already have their CR driver’s license, they will need to leave the country every 90 days in order to “reset” their home-country driver’s licenses.

Those of us who are in the process of residency and who already have our CR driver’s licenses with our passport #s will not be affected”.[/i][/quote]

Most of us that live here took particular interest in the revised traffic fines in the new Traffic Law – but apparently there is also a provision that either went unpublished, little noticed or totally overlooked by those that make up Costa Rica’s media – and it can affect you even if you never get a ticket! I first heard of this on Friday from SamaraInfo Center. At first I thought it was wrong, but after a little research it turns out that her info (as usual) is correct, at least based on ACRC’s staff memeber Ivy.

In short, there is an interpretation by COSEVI that says that the new traffic law includes a provision that states if you don’t already have your Costa Rica driver’s license, you can not get one unless or until you have your residency approved (or you already have an approved, pending residency application (i.e. a “file number)).

And, as written above by the ARCR staff member, even if you have a residency file number but do not have a CR driver’s license, then you must leave CR every 90 days to “reset their home country driver’s license”.

As has been often discussed on the forum, people should know that if you overstay your 90 day visa and happen to get stopped by Transito –
    …..you will get a ticket,
    …..new) you cannot leave the country until you pay the ticket (also new, they have now linked the COSEVI and Migracion computers, so they will stop you at the airport),
    ….because you have overstayed your visa, there are other possible penalties (financial, expulsion, restrictions on return, etc.),

The old law said that once you got a ticket from Transito after being here in excess of 90 days, the only way you could get a DL was to take a written test (in Spanish). I don’t know if that has changed or not.

This change will affect a lot of people – adversely! In essence, it places a new imposition on “perpetual tourist” and makes it more difficult (if not impossible) for them to get a CR DL – unless they have already applied for residency and have a file number.

maravilla

i was told that it’s not JUST the written test you have to take, but the driving test as well, AFTER you complete a one-week course in driver’s ed. all of this is in spanish. the course was $40, and was two-hours a day for 5 days. this nightmare in itself would be reason enough to keep everything current.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Article this morning on [url=http://www.amcostarica.com/]amcostarica[/url] regarding this issue.

costaricabill
    Participant

Fortunately, my wife and I have our driver’s licenses and an appointment in 2 weeks to (hopefully) receive our cedulas, but man – this is one of the biggest cluster @*^)# that I have seen them create. And I don’t think it was unintentional or unintended.
    They have been trying to find a mechanism to control perpetual tourist, and now they have it. With this new part of the law, they have just expanded their immigration enforcement division by adding every transito and traffic officer to their ranks!

[i][b]Regarding the meeting with migracion to receive your cedula for pensionado temporary residency[/b][/i] – if you have been to migracion for this purpose in the last 6 months or so, please send me a PM, I have a couple of questions about what to take (passport, pictures, other required documents?, etc.) and what to expect when we get there. – – Thanks

VictoriaLST

So glad I have my CR License. At least…I got the license before the new law…still legal, right?

camby

So, until or unless you get a CR license, can you still legally drive with a foreign DL? if so, what are rules if anyone knows….

costaricafinca
    Participant

See the article above that I posted earlier.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”camby”]So, until or unless you get a CR license, can you still legally drive with a foreign DL? if so, what are rules if anyone knows….[/quote]

Camby – it’s pretty clear in costaricafinca’s post above –

BUT,

because it appears that it may be some time before you revisit CR, you may want to make sure what the then current regulations are! They can change weekly.

camby

it is, over looked, sorry……its Monday and as always, a cluster here too…:shock:

maravilla

the question is whether or not you can renew that license if you don’t have a cedula.

2bncr

No Costa Rican Drivers License for Perpetual Tourist

This is not good for Costa Rica. Making things harder for foreigners to live here adversely affects the economy… or does it?

I think people confuse the need for tourism with the need for foreign residents. Plus Costa Rica is not as it once was with few cars, little money, infrastructure in complete disrepair from lax tax enforcement.

Tico in general merely tolerate us for the most part. In the past, some viewed us a special and progressive until they found out what progressive meant (changing of culture). Now many see us as what we are – a detriment to their culture.

We come here and act as if we know better by turning our noses up at social mores and doing as we do back home rather than as Ticos do here. Several Ticos have personally expressed to me that Gringos culture is unwelcomed. They blame foreigners for rising prices and new taxation.

Before it was easy to disregard the rules – now the middle-America grow-government pro-tax stand and is turning Costa Rica into a developed country.

The question is, is that a good thing? I didn’t move here to live in a facsimile of the US. I liked it better when there were few cars, crappy roads and everything carried here from the US. Ticos were not fat from fast foods and people smiled much more. So, considering this, why would Ticos want to make it easier for foreign residents to live here.

Western culture, whether it has seeped in from the media, or flaunted by the so called “do gooders” that feel a need to make CR like the US, has not helped Costa Ricans smile more. On the contrary, it has brought more stress from higher materialistic expectations.

If you never knew what it was like here in the 90’s, you probably have no idea what I am talking about. If you do, you are lamenting the changes along with me…. Oh well.

Personally, I hope they make it even harder for foreigners to live here. Most that I meet constantly complain, speak crappy Spanish if at all, and have no idea how to dress or act graciously. They think their money entitles them to act as they please.

So, I am happy with the licensing law. To me most foreigners are part of the problem rather than the solution. This is Costa Rica. If you want to reside here than learn the culture and to do that, you need to speak Spanish. The answer to this from most is “I don’t want to be a Latino, a Tico!” Well than why are you here really? What would you think of people that live in the US that say they do not want to be American… Think about it.

maravilla

ditto. . . ditto. . . ditto.

i’ve lived in other places where gringo culture took over and it was very sad. personally, i have no problems with any of these new rules. and finally, after years of grousing at each other, you and i have found common ground. JAJAJAJA

2bncr

Well I have always considered it a privilege to grouse with you my dear…

Just like a couple of Jews in the New York diamond district – we can haggle all day, raise our voices loud but at the end of the day we are really all pretty much the same… that is we do one of three things, stand, sit or lay down.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.