New Residency Laws

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum New Residency Laws

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    bogus1

As concerned expats, we met with some congressmen in San Jose today to discuss the bill regarding residency changes. The response was very positive to our concerns. If you are interested in the progress of our efforts, please let me know. We are all in this together.
    Bogus1

grb1063

As important as this issue is, it should be shared without prompting. Many of us have local insight to what is happening, but just as many do not and it would be in all of our best interests to hear what members and associates of the “asemblea legislativa” have to say that is a positive indication the law will not pass as drafted.

Andrew
    Keymaster

As you can see from the numerous threads about this topic in this forum, we are all very interested. Please do share with us whay you feel is happening and how you think matters will change….

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

bogus1

We had a group of about 20 people go to Congress to meet with one Congressman who was interested in discussing a petition we had developed through the efforts of our CR attorney. The group consisted of Gringos, CR Citizens, and one person from Panama. Many of us had to leave after 2 hrs because the rented van had to be back in Atenas at :a specific time. However, our attorney and 3 others stayed until 7:00 PM. The result of their stay was very encouraging. They met with 14 other members of Congress. During these meetings 2 petitions were introduced to reduce the amount of money required for each status, and not to make the amounts retroactive. One thing this does is that now the bill must go back to square one, which gives us more time before any final decision is made.

Through these meetings, our attorney will be meeting with the heads of Congress and the Department of Migration next week. There will also be Congressmen coming to Atenas to discuss our concerns and those of the Tico people here.

This is not written in stone except to say that we just received copies of the two petitions that the Congressmen submitted. – At least it is a start. This is the best I can tell you at this time.

bogus1

Ticobell

Can you post the two petitions?

bogus1

They came as attachments on an email one of the Congressmen sent me. Not sure how to do that – let me know how & I’ll do it.

sumaSal

Copy and Paste: Ctrl-E to select, then use Ctrl-C to copy, and Ctrl-V to paste into the post on the forum.

bogus1

Update:
    As you can see from recent news regarding this matter, the bill is not going through as expected. In addition, our attorney is meeting with the heads of the Congress and Immigration today to further discuss our concerns. Members of Congress plan to come to Atenas after the first of the year to meet with us, but no specific date has been set. That is all for now.

Edited on Dec 16, 2008 05:43

maravilla

Yep, I saw in AM Costa Rica today that the immigration bill will not be voted on until next year sometime. Boy, is THAT good news, even though I will probably be grandfathered in and will get my app for Permanent Residency in before they Congress gets their act together to address the proposed changes.

scottbenson

Boy I hope the Ticos don’t cave into the Gringo issues and don’t pass a bill that will slow down the crazy growth that has been happening.

They need to focus on changing the laws to stop the perpetual tourist and prevent people from coming to Costa Rica and thinking of making a living here.

Imxploring
    Participant

I’m sure there is a balance that must be considered. The PT issue is one point I’d agree on… but the new requirements will punish many longtime hardworkers that cannot make it in the US and are thinking about CR for retirement. Those folks are the honest, hardworking, by the rules type that will be impacted! But then again… looking at the changes in the US… these same folks are getting a royal screwing there… so why should CR be any different!

Costa Rica has had it’s share of out of control growth… but that’s being tamed a bit now… let’s hope for a soft landing. With all that’s going on in the world it’s foolish to think CR will not be effected. We’re already seeing that here! As such the idea of cutting off future incoming investment and income from retirees and expats would be a big mistake. The flow of investment and newcomers is already slowing.

As for the “making a living” thing… well anyone that knows the cost of labor here has to be a fool to think they’re going to be able to come here and compete! Real Estate sales and development and tourism aside I’m not sure there are many jobs for newbies.

albertoB

What’s with you people and your hatred of perpetual tourists?

The law states that you must leave after 90 days for 72 hours. If you do that, you are completely within the law. If you have a problem with people coming here as tourists and working, that’s a completely different issue. That’s illegal !

If the intent of the law was you were only allowed into the country 2 times in 12 months for 90 days, it would have to say that. Under Napoleonic law, there is no allowance for interpretation of intention.

I fly in and out of CR many times per year. Each time I pay taxis, hotel taxes, exit taxes, airline taxes, parking taxes, and just about anything a tourist can pay. How does my choice of lifestyle make you so upset?

Alberto

Imxploring
    Participant

Alberto. There’s no hate for PT’s. You’re quite correct that this is how the law is currently written… but folks using the PT route are making the issue one that the government in CR is going to have to look at. By allowing a loophole to be used to circumvent the spirit of the law and not having people meet proper immigration requirements you create a problem. For folks that have homes here and only come down 3 or 4 times a year for a month or so… it’s fine. Why bother going through the bother if your intent is not to stay here for extended priods. The problem is that there are MANY people using the PT route that come and go and are working in CR. Some just can’t meet the residency requirements… others are flying under the radar for a reason.

albertoB

Again the issue is not repeat tourists. The issue is tourists who come in and sell real estate to other tourists.

There is no “spirit of the law”. The law states quite clearly what is allowed. Getting in a flap over a section of the law that needs no repair is not stopping illegal real estate sales people.

Why does this perfectly legal option have to be changed? Because American hustlers are taking American retirees to the cleaners? Where is the concern amongst the Costa Rican people against the tourists? I only hear this complaint from Americans.
    This is taking the American approach of smashing a country because a hand full of people can’t be found. We don’t need more American solutions to Costa Rican problems.

Lets suggest a change. Most people only take two weeks holiday, so from now on only allow tourists to come into the country for 15 days. Then they are not allowed to return for 30 days. That should stop the real estate hustlers! Anyone with more time on their hands than that aren’t contributing enough to society. Get back to work!

Immigration people know that the illegals are making a fortune without paying taxes but don’t have the people to chase after them. They do round-ups on the beach from time to time, but don’t seem to have the desire to take it further.

Alberto

Jeanne

Hold on AlbertoB. I am retired and enjoy coming to CR for longer than two weeks. This year I am going to be there for two months, spending money – enjoying myself. CR is a great escape from the cold US. I am so ready to visit again and see some great people that I have met on previous trips and make new friends both Tico and expats. If limited to two weeks, I would be looking elsewhere as I hate airports.

Jeanne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.