looking for wood

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum looking for wood

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    ricajean

Greetings,
    Does anyone know of where I can find approx 30m2 of wood? It will be used for the floor of a type of rancho, the structure will have a roof, but no walls and so will be exposed to the outdoor elements. My preference is to find something recycled, definitely eco friendly and aesthetically pleasing. I am willing to pay a fair price, but I’m afraid that the exotics would be out of my budget range. I’m not considering pine because of it’s chemical factors. Cement, tile are too hard for my needs, and by research tells me that bamboo flooring would not hold up to the outdoor elements. I certainly would like a decent hard wood, though I would consider “out of the box” alternative suggestions.
    Any suggestions, where, how, who, would be greatly appreciated.
    Pura vida!

Andrew
    Keymaster

There is certainly no shortage of hardware stores where you should be able to get the advice and wood you need but where are you located exactly?

Scott

ricajean

yes, thanks scott. true, plenty of ferreterias, but the best for me would be to find recycled wood. maybe an old house being torn down with good old wood, or someone with some seasoned wood setting up ready for use. i’ve also been told of laminate planking that’s being used in the states with great results – but i haven’t found it here in country so far. it’s a pliable plastic composite formed in planks that looks like wood and stands the tests of time in the outdoors.
    i live in the southern pacific but get to s.j. regularly, so i can check out resources wherever.
    thanks for your assistance.

Doug Ward

It’s ridiculous to choose a wood floor over concrete/ceramic. It makes zero sense here.
    Ask any Tico.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”Doug Ward”]It’s ridiculous to choose a wood floor over concrete/ceramic. It makes zero sense here.
    [/quote]

. . . unless, of course, there’s something you don’t know. (It could happen.)

rward

[quote=”ricajean”]yes, thanks scott. true, plenty of ferreterias, but the best for me would be to find recycled wood. maybe an old house being torn down with good old wood, or someone with some seasoned wood setting up ready for use. i’ve also been told of laminate planking that’s being used in the states with great results – but i haven’t found it here in country so far. it’s a pliable plastic composite formed in planks that looks like wood and stands the tests of time in the outdoors.
    i live in the southern pacific but get to s.j. regularly, so i can check out resources wherever.
    thanks for your assistance.[/quote]

You may be thinking of the composite decking boards used on decks and outdoor stuctures in the US. I have it on my deck. It is made from a composite of plastic and wood. The good point is that it doesn’t warp or lose it’s shape. Great for decks. The bad part is the fact that it is a plastic composite. It is molded into planks with a wood grain texture. It does not look like real wood at all. It only comes in about six colors of grey or brown. It bears no resemblence to real wood. It is also expensive. IMO it is about as far from eco as you can get. I think you would not want it if you see it. Hope this helps.

ricajean

Thank you for your information. I’d been told by a family member in the States about a planking that “looked just like wood”, and was great for outdoor use, maybe it’s something that hasn’t gotten on the market here yet. And true, plastic is not going eco friendly.
    Looks like we may have found something – going to look today.
    Thanks again!

ricajean

Hi Doug,
    You sound like my husband! He was pushing for ceramics as well. Yes, cement or tiles would be more practical, but I have dreamed of this wood floor – I just love the feel of it and there you have it.
    To each her own.
    Cheers!

ricajean

Thank you David for your thoughtful reply.

We have a home in Guancaste, and live there part-time. We wanted some custom made wooden furniture constructed thoughout our house. A Tico friend took us to a lumber yard, to meet the owner/custom builder. The owner/custom builder showed us the woods, and explained that the quality of wood varies, within Costa Rica and imports to Costa Rica. While we were in the lumber yard, I saw rows upon rows of excess remaining wood, from prior projects. Scouting various lumber yards, may produce the wood and price you are seeking.

costaricafinca
    Participant

The problem is that much of the wood will not stand up to the outdoor climatic conditions.
    Check out teak, which is frequently used for outdoor use and possibly cheaper. Lots of abandoned teak farms here … but will require continued care and replacement

johnr

If you can make contact with anyone at Pan American on the Nicoya they also should be able to help you out. They mostly grow teak for the India and Viet Nam markets but they run a lot of different stuff.

rward

You might look into cedar. It is used in the US for outdoor applications. Redwood is another possibility but it is VERY expensive…..

ricajean

Thank you all for the suggestions. We think we’ve succeeded in finding the right wood and we’re waiting for the delivery tomorrow. We shall see.

johnr

[quote=”ricajean”]Thank you all for the suggestions. We think we’ve succeeded in finding the right wood and we’re waiting for the delivery tomorrow. We shall see.[/quote]

Hope what you found works out. On last Friday I saw a new home under construction that had an indoor / outdoor room all exposed. Had a beautiful hard wood floor – pegged the whole nine yards. I asked about the wood and the contractor said it was Almond. Now I don’t know if that’s the Almond Nut like tree or a CR description of some native hardwood but I was told that it will hold up to all outdoor exposures and should only need a new resurfacing about every 5 years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.