Limon, Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Limon, Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    RUNGANO

We plan to retire in Limon, Costa Rica and are coming to
    visit. What is the best hotel on the beach that we can stay.
    Also who is the best home builder in Limon ??? Who is selling
    beach front property at the best/lowest price ??? We would like to rent long term in a single family house. We already
    went to Belize for the past 8 years twice a year. Belize is nice but limited medically. Now we coming to study what Limon
    has in comparison to Belize.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Have you ever been to Limon? You should make an extended vacation, your first step if you have never travelled to Costa Rica.
    This is nothing like Belize. And, yes, I have been there.

2bncr

I believe Limon does not have advanced medical treatment facilities. I second CRfinca’s advice.

mpgyacht

Don’t bring any valuables with you. NONE unless you want to be robbed of them.

soldier

Having been to Belize several times, I agree, Limon is nothing like Belize. Limon has a more carib. feel and culture, not to mention tourists. I assume this is only your first trip to Costa Rica, most of us over 20 years old try to avoid the tourist scene and the potentially higher petty crime rate of Limon. I would recommend residing in and touring the location you desire, prior to, constructing a home. In my case, I first came to Costa Rica in 1985, and returned every year or year-and-a-half, to tour the whole country. We recently bought a beachfront home in 2009, after years of reading, traveling, internet research, and, research, research, research. There are several publications available for purchase on this website, or, on the internet, I would highly recommend them, for research purposes.

sprite

I am curious as to who or what interested you in the Limon area. I can think of a few positive things I have read about the area and I can think of a few more negative things.

My initial ideas about living in Costa Rica were about the Pacific coast and I wouldn’t even consider the mountains. After one visit, I completely turned around. Now, I wouldn’t want to live anywhere near a beach or under 3000 feet of altitude. Definitely make a trip or two…or more.

Andrew
    Keymaster

It may be important to note that the murder rate in Limon itself is 19 per 100,000 inhabitants whereas that number in San Jose is only 10

The southern Caribbean area is much more peaceful than Limon.

Scott

bogino
    Participant

I have driven from San Jose to Puerto Viejo several times and when I drive through Limon to get there I accelerate on the gas pedal to stay clear from Limon as quickly as possible. Secondly, your initial post appears to suggest that there might be a chronic disease issue requiring some level of proximity to quality medical care. If that’s the case Limon is a long drive to San Jose in an emergency and I doubt Limon has the type of facilities that I would trust in the event of emergency. If you haven’t visited Costa Rica or Limon for that matter then it is imperative that you do so before making what could be a very poor choice.

sprite

A lot of us are at an age where medical care is a consideration. I timed the drive from the ambulance garage to my property in the Central Valley and made note that there was a small clinic within walking distance.

These major infrastructure aspects are usually factored in to the pricing of property too. There are other factors. Land and houses in the Limon area are probably very much lower in price than almost anywhere else on the other coast. If I am correct, then there will be good reasons for this, one of which Scott has pointed out above.

Andrew@CR

I’ve been to Limon a few times on my way to Puerto Viejo and even had lunch in downtown during one swing through the area. I had someone watch my car and paid a few hundred colones for the peace of mind. It was well worth it. I’m just not sure why someone would want to live in Limon as compared to Cahuita or Puerto Viejo. However, as the other commmenters mentioned, health facilities may be an issue. I would suggest you at least consider renting for a while.

sueandchris

I am really, really mystified as to why someone would pick Limon as a place to settle in Costa Rica. The vibe there is not good and just so much different than literally EVERYWHERE else we have been in Costa Rica. I can think of at least ten other widely diverse areas in Costa Rica to choose…..have you actually BEEN to Limon???

dmarcelop

[quote=”sueandchris”]I am really, really mystified as to why someone would pick Limon as a place to settle in Costa Rica.[/quote]

Wow! Poor Limon continues to be bashed so mercilessly.
    I plan on having homes on both coasts. There’s a lot of history there. Yes, compared to the Pacific coast, it’s not your typical gringo meeting place. Some folks, however, find Limon refreshing, different, and yes much more vibrant than the seemingly mundane Pacific coast.

Like they say, different strokes for different folks.
    Understand that Limon has always been victimized by some institutionalized racial prejudices. Yes, it exists even in Costa Rica. Limon has a rich cultural heritage that makes Costa Rica even more interesting. Yes, it’s a gritty place, but vibrant with much more culinary delights and music culture than the rest of the Mestizo Costa Rica.

I have European friends who think they know the US because they’ve been to New York a few times. You don’t know Costa Rica if you haven’t experienced “the other” Costa Rica.

A lot of folks say it reminds them of New Orleans. New Orleans has a high crime rate as well. It also adds culture and music to the American experience.

maravilla

it seems about as vibrant as marseilles! the history of that area of costa rica interests me especially after researching and writing about El Pulpo and how they brought in the jamaicans to work the plantations, etc. but come on, who wants to live where you are always a target for crime, whether it’s petty theft or murder? it’s like puntarenas — nice place to go to get fresh fish, but you couldn’t pay me a million dollars to live there.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]dmarcelop [/b] have ever been to Limon, either? In another post you mention [i]’…but I’m looking at C.R. now’,[/i] which sounds that you [i]intend[/i] to come to Costa Rica.
    That’s the problem with just [i]reading[/i] about a place instead of actually seeing it [i]’first hand'[/i].
    It’s not as if it even has a nice beach or decent roads.

dmarcelop

[quote=”costaricafinca”][b]dmarcelop [/b] have ever been to Limon, either? In another post you mention [i]’…but I’m looking at C.R. now’,[/i] which sounds that you [i]intend[/i] to come to Costa Rica.[/quote]

Yes, I rarely visit Costa Rica without stopping to visit friends in Limon on my way to Cahuita and Puerto Viejo and the black sand beaches. I was just there last August. You’re right about the roads. The folks in Limon complain about being slighted by the government planners.

I do “intend” on purchasing a vacation/retirement home somewhere on the Atlantic coast, but not necessarily in Limon proper. Over the years, I’ve seen the area slide into further decay. The folks in Limon blame the influx of Nicaraguans and government neglect.

I’m not suggesting that Limon is for everyone or that it doesn’t have issues. I’m only suggesting that there are other attractions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.