left wing liberals

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum left wing liberals

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    editer

moonbanks, I’m one of those left wingers you are so worried about. We know about you and we’re ALL comin’ down to getcha! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, haaah! (maniacal laughter)

editer

sprite

Great clip, Tracy. Conservatism is for those who think the world is in great shape and want to preserve the staus quo. Left wing progressive politics is for those who think the world situation could stand some improvement.
    Thanks.

Edited on May 18, 2008 03:53

editer

Scott, you occasionally provide surveys for members to show their backgrounds or feelings about topics or issues that are relevant to expats or to people who are considering becoming residents of Costa Rica. I’d be interested in seeing the political leanings of the various forum members. Perhaps you could offer a survey in which we rate ourselves according to five different ranges: far left, center left, center, center right, and far right.

I’m inclined to think that most people who are drawn to a socially-conscious country like Costa Rica would be more left-leaning than conservative. I don’t mean this to be a divisive exercise. There are good and bad people at both ends of the spectrum. I’m just curious to know the different mind sets of non-Ticos who are drawn to the Pura Vida.

editer

crayzrj

yeah, it does! a large group of people (granted, culturally oriented rather than ideologically) manipulated by fear to engage in the slaughter of other humans due to a perceived threat. the difference? well the amount of destructive capacity set in motion! sort of like a vicious chihuahua vs. vicious mastiff. and where did that efficient and powerful destructive capacity come from? rwanda, indeed! all weapons of mass destruction were perfected and disseminated (if not totally invented) from where? hell, saddams weapons came from where? and as far as the use of them. massively powerful conventional explosives, cluster bombs, anti-personnel mines, noxious gases etc. are also weapons of mass destruction. all of which are used daily by whom? of course the use of these in pursuit of our hegemony is perfectly justifiable, right. there’s very few good persons’ in power. the u.s. is far from the most democratic and righteous entity on this planet (1 in 99 citizens incarcerated is, by definition, a police state justified or not as you see it). things could be better and we have the wealth to contemplate and achieve it, but for selfishness.rwanda, indeed! hypocrisy is the ruling attitude of the day.crayzrj.

Edited on May 18, 2008 11:58

Alfred

Sprite, I think you may have us conservatives confused with the Neo-conservatives. They are a recent abberation, and quite frankly have little to do with conservatism in most cases.

Us old time conservatives believe in environmental responsibility, just like most left wingers (liberals,) but we choose not to worship the creation, just be good stewards of it. Also, we believe in the rights of individuals as granted by the constitution. This means equal rights, not special rights. We believe in the rule of law set down by our forefathers.

And most of us are not satisfied with the status quo, or the supposed conservative candidate we are being presented in this election. The root of the word conservative means to conserve, and not be an SUV driving glutononous idiot.

As a conservative, I enjoy Costa Rica and its natural and cultural beauty as much as anyone. I wish not to be painted with the broad brush of the “new conservative” as they are conservatives in name only.

In reality, I believe we share more core beliefs than we differ on.

I don’t know it this clears anything up, but I thought I’d supply my two cents.

tracymartin

Alfred, I, a presumed left-winger, supported Dr.Ron Paul for president (conservative and republican). He was our last and only hope, to at the least bring the real issues to the table and we saw how the media and the established parties dismissed him.
    But my main point is “they” dont care what we think or how we vote, the fat lady sang her last words. The machine was put into place 100 years ago and it can’t be undone now. The corporations are more powerful than governments and as long as “they” are in control, candidates are irrelevant, we are irrelevant. We are just drones and consumers and now that we cant buy, they’ve moved on to other markets. For the war profiteers, the wars will just keep coming, religion and resources, just like it’s been through out history. Please, be optimists, but if you really study and research our current situation, here in the US, the truth will be glaring.
    And my last point, in 06 we sent truckloads of dems to
    Washington, has anything changed? Halt of war funding? Questions about no-bid defense contracts? Bringing the true wall street criminals to justice? Nothing. We should all stand together in defense of this country, but no, now that gay marriage is legal in California, I’m sure that will be the “issue” consuming this election, like it was in the last two, again with no relevance to reality, merely fodder to polarize us.

Edited on May 18, 2008 21:08

Alfred

Tracy, that was so well put, I could not agree with you more. The powers that be have divided us, and polarized us, by pitting one group against the other. They have succeded in allowing us to be labeled liberals, conservatives, republicans, or democrats, with no hope of uniting against the real enemy against democracy, our elected officials. We have been useful idiots by bestowing way too much power upon a government that is no longer representative of the people it was designed to serve.

I knew Ron Paul didn’t stand a chance with the combined forces of the media and the political machines bent on keeping their stranglehold on this nation. We have gotten to a two party system which neither represents its constituency, or the good of the nation. They are both only beholding to their corporate sponsors, and can give a hoot about us.

Nothing will change in this election, and we will be duped again into thinking there will be any meaningful results, no matter who wins in November. The fix is in when there are only two viable political parties, with no hope of an independent party being able to mount a campaign against them.

Our primary system is a joke. I much rather like Costa Rica’s method. Let multiple parties, as many as 14 in their last election, run on the same day, and the winning candidate must recieve 40% of the vote, or the top two candidates have a runoff. This seems to be a much more equitable system, and every group gets to compete with their ideas. Think we’ll ever get to that point? I don’t.

Good luck to us as we suffer through another election cycle.

Doug Ward

It’s an M-pyre.
    It’s finished and broken beyond repair thanks to the brainwashed, undereducated,bible thumping, flag waving, masses voting against their own best interests.

I think I’ll go water my orchids and plant some corn…………..

grifz77

The point is not equating CR to Rwanda but merely pointing out that while you complain about your current administration’s blunders the alternative turned a blind eye to such a tragedy.

In no way am I telling you that what GWB has done is right but I think either way…the US loses. I can’t wait for Barrack to take the oval office and turn the US into a protectionist state and ignore foreign policy…this will dismantle the US as we know it today.

My $0.02 says that the current crisis in the US today is the beginning of the end. The future belongs to the Chinese, Indians and to a lesser extent Russians and Brazilians.

moonbanks

I hope everyone who is critical about the good old USA remember where they got there opportunity and freedom to go anywhere in the world they like and have the financial independence to do so..SO LEFT WING RIGHT WING WE STILL ARE ALL AMERICANOS…TKS

keviyon

As a newcomer to this thread, I think it might be helpful for us to have a common understanding of the concept of what constitutes the “political spectrum”. “liberal” and “conservative” relative to what? Here is link to an article that is the best I have ever seen on the subject. I found it very helpful in getting clear where I fit in:

http://www.afr.org/Hultberg/080105.htm

kimball

Are any of you educated, non bible thumping, non flag waving masses self employed ?

keviyon

Kimball, I don’t understand your point. Who are you calling out? Kevin

kimball

I think you do and Not you.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.