Jobs- have not seen this thread yet

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Jobs- have not seen this thread yet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    ldordal

I am 46- I hope to be moving myself and my 2 cats to CR in 2 years or so but I will need a job. I have been working in the telecommunications field for the past ten years or so here in Wash DC and know wireline but more wireless. Any advice on how to proceed? I will have my house and car free and clear so all I need to do is provide for myself the monthly expenses necessary.
    Gracias.
    Liz

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Liz, there are severe restricions on non-Costa Ricans working in the Costa Rican economy. First, you must be a legal resident, not just a tourist. Obtaining legal residency will take at least four months; eight months is not unlikely. And you may not legally fill a position that a Costa Rican could fill.

You should know, too, that wages here are much, much lower than whatever you’re earning in the U.S.

You need to have an in-depth discussion of all this with a qualified, experienced Costa Rican attorney before you go any farther. Then, when you think you fully understand, have that same discussion with a second equally qualifed attorney to verify what you learned from the first one.

ldordal

Hmm….I’m thinking that sponsorship by an American company would be the way to go here-I guess that would be my slant. Any experience with that?

scottbenson

Well the biggest hurtel you would have is to have a American company write a letter explaining why you are more qualified than the thousands of well highly educated costa ricans. Unless you have a freind in high places but even that dose not work always any more. You will have to get a work permit and to do this you have to meet qualifications. CR is very serious about protecting Ticos jobs!

My wife is a tica and is highly educated, one of her co workers in Costa Rica was a gringo. He was able to get a job but he was married to a tica too, which is really the only way besides sponsorship. He also spoke incredible spanish, Berlitz didn’t even have a class level for him they had to customize a course for him.

Even than dont think that you will get any where near the saleray that you would make in the U.S. Ask your self why would any one want to pay you more than a Tico if they can get a highly educated Tico to do the same job? Then there is the problem that Tico’s want to protect the good jobs for Ticos, can you blame them?

Yes, there are many illegal gringos working in CR but you won’t see them in companys like Intel or other American companys unless they were employees transferred to CR or are legal. You will find most of them self employed and trying to find a slant to make money like internet based biz. Now since the gambeling net work has been disrupted that has taken some jobs away, how ever most of those jobs went to collage students that were learning english.

Just a question? How will you be able to make the new financial qualifications for residency if you need a job in CR?

Well, any ways hope you find what you are looking for! What ever you do, do it legally because I understand that the days of perpetual tourism will be slowing down and CR is going to tighten up their rules. If you get caught and deported you could lose your car, home and everything.

ldordal

You know, Scott- not sure why this simple question is being answered so personally(and negatively-I might add) by you. What a rant. I asked a QUESTION. I didn’t ask about illegal activities nor did I ask you to question my financial or employment suitability. Quit drinking the coffee.

Edited on Nov 19, 2006 14:51

Jamesey

Idordal, don’t take Scott apart. He’s trying to help you with some simple truths. I doubt the coffee had much to do with it!

ldordal

Not trying to do that and thanks for your concern. El Senor should be aware that simple truths don’t need to be expressed with so much rancor. If I didn’t know better- I’d think he holds a grudge against Norte Americanas.
    PuraVida!
    Liz

kimyoa650

I read the entire thread and I don’t think scottbenson was trying to put you down. He simply was pointing out some of the negatives. I have to agree with him, everyone coming here must have a good financial plan, even when you think that you have already amassed a fortune. Once your saving account starts to go in the negative direction, that is always a bad thing.

We met a couple that moved here 3 years ago, with 3 kids. They said they basically moved around the country from Golfito all the way up and decided to settle in Playa Conchial. They have a very thriving business, the husband started a contruction co. and his wife runs a bakery/restaurant. She said that its tough, but her husband does a bit better to support them and also her business.

scottbenson

To tell you the truth yes I do have a problem with people coming to Costa Rica and trying to make a living! This is a small country and Tico’s don’t have the opportunities like in the U.S. where jobs are plentiful. What jobs that are here have hundreds of applicants that have master degrees!

Many North Americans’ think that they can just come to Costa Rica and get a job and live the Pura Vida life. Many have the miss understanding that they are better qualified for the job than a Tico because they are gringos and can speak English and might have a collage degree.

What I am trying to say is that if you come here do it legal!( I am not trying to put you down I am trying to open up your eyes) If you are going to live in a host nation don’t come with the idea that people will open their arms and give you a job because that is not what will happen. If you look at the last post Kim wrote that a family came to live and has started working for themselves. They did not compete for the call centers, factory, or other skilled jobs because they cannot they are illegal. Some day this could come to bite them because they are receiving a income, they could lose everything. Also it is true that the president does want to start clamping down on illegal tourist that are receiving a income.

The reason why I question your finance is that you have to meet the new qualifications for residency to be legal. If you are going to gamble and become a perpetual tourist, you should know that most employers would not hire you legally with out a work permit. Just trying to give you the straight facts not the hype!

ldordal

Scott,
    Get the chip off your shoulder and worry about yourself. Worry about your finances and your jobs and perhaps one day you will be happy.

*Lotus

Moderator: This is heading for the “Hot Topic” file.

jreeves

ldordal – Scott is not off base here. If you apply for legal residency, there are guidelines/laws you must follow & working is one of those things you must be careful with because you could lose your residency & be deported. Seriously. We just received our legal residency. I support us by my US-based business that I run via the Internet. My husband is a chef but will not work because of our residency status. He doesn’t want to open his own restaurant until we have permanent residency without work restrictions, that way he can actually cook in his own restaurant.

If you do not receive legal residency, you would have to apply for a work permit, which you’d likely not get. Getting a work permit is not easy & I’ve only met one non-Costa Rican couple that did so successfully. Even with the permit, they opted to have a child here & were able to get their residency that way. That isn’t to say there aren’t tons of gringoes in CR working – or that you couldn’t find work – but you are taking a risk by not going through the appropriate channels to find legal work.

If you do not come as a legal resident or with a work permit, you are here on a tourist visa. If you are caught working while on that visa, you can be deported. You are only able to stay in country for 90 days. The “perpetual tourist” Scott was talking about are those people who are living here, leaving to go to Nicaragua or Panama (or wherever) for a short trip out of country, then coming back for another 90 days. Immigration is supposed to be cutting down on people who are abusing this as it is seen as a loophole around Costa Rica’s immigration laws.

Overall, the point Scott was trying to make is that if you move here & take a job, you need to be aware of the legal ramifications.

Jessica

GringoTico

Idordal,

When I first read your post, I didn’t respond because your question is already answered 10 times over in this forum. All you have to do is read it.

Scott was kinder than me, and took time out to explain, again, how things work down there. For not giving you the answer you were looking for, you are offended. Sound like you’re the one who needs to cut back on the caffeine.

It’s great that you want to spend two years in CR, but don’t think you’ll be able to find employment. Sponsorship by an American company in the telecommunications field? Highly doubtful. American telecommunications companies aren’t operating in CR, as this industry is currently a government monopoly there. Furthermore, as Scott pointed out, there are many, many highly qualified Ticos to fill those jobs that do exist, at a fourth of the salary a Gringo would accept.

Finally, have you seen the new labor requirements for American companies that send their employees abroad? I understand that they’re required to provide these employees with the same benefits as their stateside counterparts. Given the availability of eager, well-educated English speakers in many countries like Costa Rica who will work for pennies on the dollar, your question is is really a pipe dream.

Make your money in the US, then come to CR to spend it. And don’t get offended by people who are willing to tell it like it is. They’re your best allies.

ldordal

You should have followed your intial instinct to stay out of it.

Jamesey

Why don’t you just be grateful to these obviously nice and knowledgable guys who answered your question in gentlemanly fashion, thank them, follow their advice and get on with your life? Vitriol is not called for in this forum.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.