Jaco area

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Jaco area

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    marshaoak

My husband and I had almost decided to buy a small house near Jaco, just two miles from Los Suenos. Our favorite town isn’t Jaco, but we love the wildlife and the central location and we thought we could rent it out as well. But our friends in Alajuela just told us that they hate Jaco because of the heat, humidity, drugs, prostitution, and crime. Yikes. We’ve been to Cosat Rica 5 times and have never seen any of those things..except the heat and humidity. Please share how Jaco area is and if you think it’s a good place to buy for visits and rentals. Thank you.

mpgyacht

Drive down the Jaco strip any night at midnight and all your questions will be answered.

marshaoak

So I guess you are saying that at midnight there are drugs and prostitutes and crime. Hmmm. I’m not in CR. I’m in CA. Where are you living? I will not be driving down the Jaco strip at midnight…maybe just noon. Is it safe then? Where are the responsible tourists visiting in CR then? Thanks so much for any assistance. Appreciate it.

bogino
    Participant

I first went to Jaco on a visit about 10 years ago. Went back on several occasions after that but stopped going there maybe 5 or 6 years ago due to the over-development and crowding conditions…construction…etc. For me it had lost some charm and character it once had. Over the years it has attracted hoards of young Americans looking for “action” from places like the famed Beetle Bar. There is a fair amount of drug dealing and trafficking in Jaco now and it’s simply a more riskier place than it was say 10 years ago. If you’re going to live outside of Jaco but close enough so that you have access to the stores..shopping etc my guess is you should be fine. The climate thing is all a matter of personal taste s I won’t comment on that.

The “responsible” tourists are visiting the typical touristy places such as Manuel Antonio..Arenal…the beaches up in the Tamarindo area etc. as well as many other parts of the country as it becomes more and more popular as a vacation destination. My last several visits I’ve been down to the southern Caribbean zone and on the other side to the Osa Peninsula.

maravilla

wherever there are tourists there is crime, drugs, and prostitution — not just in CR but anywhere in the world. You don;t have to be trolling the main drag at midnight to see the activity if you know what you’re looking for. it’s all right there even in the broad daylight.

*Lotus

We find it convenient to be close to Jaco for the farmers market, shopping, movies and a few good restaurants (Good pizza at Rio Oasis). It seems that the North end over that little bridge is a where it gets a little nasty late night, we have been to dinner here as late as 9pm and it was fine.

If you like the beaches around Jaco, I would look 2-6 km’s South, we are in Playa Hermosa (don’t live full time),great place with a diverse population. A little further down the costanera you have the Esterillos’ beautiful beaches and a variety of housing options. I have always felt very safe here with my wife and children, we were married in Esterillos.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sorry to inform you of this but I think you’ll find that your “friends in Alajuela” have a LOT more “drugs, prostitution, and crime” in Alajuela than they have ever had in Jaco…

And isn’t it amazing how many Americans are in those ‘famous’ bars buying female companions?

Scott

dkarr

Stating that driving through Jaco in the middle of the night is “dangerous” is I think pretty ridiculous. I obviously have my bias, but think some of these comments are a bit over the top. Best advice, spend a night here and see for yourself, go have some ice cream at El Barco right in the center of town at 10pm or have a drink at Los Amigos.

*Lotus

We have been going to Costa Rica for 8 years now and have not had a single incident or ever felt threatened. We don’t live there, but have stayed in the same place at times for 7 weeks, once in a fairly isolated home in Playa Guiones.

When I read some of the comments I can get really stressed out about CR, question my desire to live there someday. Some of the posters make it seem like you can’t breath without having something stolen, being robbed!

Then we arrive and it’s like a weight off my chest, instant pura vida!! No one sticking a gun in my face:D , nothing stolen etc…
    Just a bunch of really nice people, beautiful scenery, great waves, food etc…You just feel so damn good!

It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, it certainly ain’t the United States. Cr is her own beautiful, wonderful person, warts and all!

sprite

Aren’t there any other areas at the hot and humid lower altitudes which have what you seek besides Jaco? If, after visiting and making your own assessments, you have any doubts about the area, just look elsewhere.

Jaco is a little too touristy for my tastes with a relatively high concentration of foreigners and I don’t care for active night life. Plus, after 30 years living in Miami with the crowds and the heat, I have had it so I chose the cooler, rural mountain elevations.

But obviously a lot of people like a place with a bit of a night life and think they will thrive in heat and humidity. They like Jaco…so far.

kimball

And isn’t it amazing how many Americans are in those ‘famous’ bars buying female companions?

Scott[/quote]

Lots of Brits hanging in those bars too.

bogino
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]
    Scott[/quote]

How would [b]YOU[/b] know Scott? :lol::lol:

wspeed1195

You can live around parrita,they’ve got pretty much everything you’d want. Banderas beach,Palo Seco, down further,past Quepos is Matapalo,then Dominical.it’s not A long distance for once A week shoppers,a lot of things to do locally as A small foray,the highway between Quepos and Dominical is in.
    I lived in Jaco,then again in hermossa,what you see and are affected by,is of yourown choosing.it was there,i wasn’t there for it.my life bumped along,I was A guy,who spoke passable Spanish,made folks laugh,helped some of the locals with drugproblems and they responded with kindness.
    Homes where you make it.I live better there mentally than here in the states with allthis stuff.

jreeves

Our house is 30 min south of Jaco. I will say the drugs/prostitution are there day & night if you’re looking. If you’re not looking, you’ll mostly be left alone. We do eat out there at night on occasion, but try to be back home before 9pm.

We prefer to do most of our shopping/banking in Parrita, as someone else mentioned. Jaco has a better medical clinic & dentist so we head there for those services.

I like the Herradura area very much. I wouldn’t let what your friends think of Jaco influence your decision – personally, I’d rent for a while in the area & then you can make your own decisions!

Doug Ward

[quote=”mpgyacht”]Drive down the Jaco strip any night at midnight and all your questions will be answered.[/quote]
    You nailed it !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.