It takes a community

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum It takes a community

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    waggoner41

I am in receipt of an apparently deleted topic titled “your kids do not belong to you”.

Growing up in rural Colorado I know for a fact that it “takes a community” to provide for the upbringing of all of the children.

It has always been so but apparently the concept no longer exists in the minds of some.

In our community the school, school board, the church, the ladies organizations all pulled together to assure that we, the children, had the best available opportunities to succeed in life.

It seems that the less we know about each other the lesas this concept carries meaning.

It is a sad world.

davidd

its all wonderful

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”davidd”]why would you comment on a deleted topic??? just curious?[/quote]

perhaps the comment has more significance and validity than did the original topic!

W-41 recalls the community spirit that those of us in our age bracket grew up in & with, and it just wasn’t in the rural areas. I grew up in urban Houston, and it was the same there – almost every adult looked after you, and in most cases you respected almost every adult.

Sadly, you can’t say that anymore!

waggoner41

[quote=”davidd”]why would you comment on a deleted topic??? just curious?
    [/quote]

Apparently there are some who believe that the community spirit does not apply.

The spirit of the information contained in the post was that “you cannot do it alone”. It is as true today as it ever was.
    The post falsified the spirit of the information.

davidd

it’s all wonderful

waggoner41

[quote=”davidd”]waggonner

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/04/09/critics-slam-msnbc-hosts-claim-that-kids-belong-to-community-not-parents/

I have come to admire and respect some people on this board by their previous posts and you are one of them.

and the way you propose this makes kind of sense on a the idea that everyone shares the same set of value’s as you and that the government is there to help you. :D:D:D

we all know this is not the case

I would never phrase something as the kids do NOT belong to you or your family. they belong to a collective

when they say collective do you mean something like this???

http://youtu.be/WtGrp5MbzAI ??? imagine [/quote]

Why is it that Fox News is so frequently referred to by conservative thinkers who do not seem to be able to broaden their view of the world. You do not have to answer that I already know that all they are looking for is confirmation of what they want to believe.

[quote=”davidd”]a personal example off the top of my head..

I do NOT believe in homosexuality. Now I don’t wish any homosexuals any harm and I want them to do whatever floats thier boat.. you know whatever makes them happy as long as they don’t force thier ideals on anyone.. god speed

does this make me a homo phobic???

or.. the fact that this goes against what I believe I should allow my kids to be taught by someone of influence who is homosexual??

when I was living in a small community we had a large church and we found out by the pastor coming out that he was gay??

to me this was unacceptable to the event of exposing my children to this lifestyle. so without any fan fare we just left the congregation and found one better suited to our values.

parents are the first line of defense against the liberal moral decay in our society. and who else will take care and protect them. school teachers??? ๐Ÿ˜ฏ the things that go on in public schools today are just a form of incompetence and indoctrination.

now when my children become adults they can make their own decisions and as adults they will also be responsible for their actions.

but in the mean time my kids are my kids and will learn to THINK for themselves

so I do think first is to find a community of likeminded people. self reliant and independant

then surround yourself with like minded people that can support each other and become stronger as a unit.

like the spartans ๐Ÿ™‚ Metaphorically speaking of course :)[/quote]

That was a poor metaphor to use since most of the Spartan warriors were lovers of each other.

I would think that any news reporter would have a better handle on the English usage than she did. Her comment was poorly stated, leave it to Fox to make the most of her misstep.

As to homophobia I do not have the intense hatred or fear of homosexuals or homosexuality that you seem to be expounding. I have had friends of all races and, yes, a few gays in my apparently wider experience and have found them to be just people trying to make their way in the world like the rest of us. They did not display their sexual orientation in public nor even in front of those of us who they considered friends unlike those who make the news in their gay pride antics.

I will end that subject since it has little to do with my original post. I just thought it proper to respond to such rhetoric.

I brought my sense of community with me when I moved to Costa Rica.
    We have a Tico family of ten who live with us in our home.

They provide us with a Tico face in Costa Rica and assure that we are not taken to the cleaners by others who think all Gringos are flush with cash.

They also have a wide knowledge of where we can purchase quality items that we need rather than the cheap get by items that most Ticos work with.

In return we finance the education of their children in order to guarantee them a better life than their parents had.

Quid pro quo. We are a community.

davidd

its all wonderful

Kwhite1

[quote=”davidd”]Wagooner

I guess we just have different values and lifes experience.. which is a wonderful thing actually and this keeps the world from being such a bore ๐Ÿ™‚

life is a grand adventure ๐Ÿ™‚

[/quote]

Ok, I cannot just sit this one out….I agree it takes a village and all the other metaphors you want to place. I think church is a fine example of that, surround yourself with like minded people ect.

However, when someone states that your kids do not belong to you, I take a huge exception to that type of thinking. It is not, per se, that particular comment, this woman used a poor choice of words to get her expression across. BUT….when you combine that with the extreme behavior of many of the teachers and persons of influence, that becomes a problem. Example, teaching children that 9-11 was the fault of the US, that the 2nd ammendment really should not apply, that gays and lesbians should be able to have the same “benefits” as a traditional marriage, that illegal aliens should be guaranteed health care, disability, EBT, HUD, and all of the other programs. College prof ordering students to stomp on a sign of Jesus, that religion or belief in God is wrong (other than the Muslim religion), that we are so very politically correct that it infringes on my rights to think and say what I want in fear of hurting someone’s feelings.

It has become an extremely stupid that level of “indroctrination” (sp) that is apparant now. I choose not to have my kid exposed to their way of thinking. So I do not have her go to public schools, any “raising” by the village is done through the church and other like minded folks.

So I politley decline her offer to no longer consider my child not mine anymore and hand her over to the government. Hope I don’t offend anyone by my decline….geez.

Andrew
    Keymaster

davidd is referring to the following video:

Since this thread had no relevance whatsoever to Costa Rica when it was first posted, it was deleted by one of our Moderators.

Since the thread has taken on a life of it’s own, I am reposting it here to help clarify the original point…

Scott

davidd

its all wonderful

waggoner41

[quote=”davidd”]Wagooner

I guess we just have different values and lifes experience.. which is a wonderful thing actually and this keeps the world from being such a bore ๐Ÿ™‚

life is a grand adventure ๐Ÿ™‚

[/quote]

[b]In the end every parent is responsible for making sure that their children are taught the values that the parents believe in.

It can not be done without the help of the community and you choose the community that hold the same values that you do.[/b]

When they become adults their life experiences will affect their poit of view.

When I was growing up neither my parents nor I could never have envisioned what my life has been now nor what I have experienced or the people I have met.

I am not sure whether my parents would totally agree with the point of view that I now hold but my point of view has been a process of living my life. Looking back there is nothing I would have changed.

I am sure that you feel the same way.

davidd

it’s all wonderful

Kwhite1

[quote=”davidd”][size=200]Give that man a cigar :)[/size]

[b]In the end every parent is responsible for making sure that their children are taught the values that the parents believe in.

this is partially true… but the parent is the firewall of constant oversight protection from any inconsistencies.

and sadly because of MONEY one cannot always choose their community.. many times because of lack of means.. they wind up in areas that are NOT so geared towards family values. this makes the job of parenting so much harder especially of both parents have to work.. or single working parent.

It can not be done without the help of the community and you choose the community that hold the same values that you do.[/b]

I applaud your efforts and that you follow the life you so choose even though we disagree.

you living another country already sets you apart from 95% of american s that just follow the rest of the herd.

When they become adults their life experiences will affect their poit of view.

When I was growing up neither my parents nor I could never have envisioned what my life has been now nor what I have experienced or the people I have met.

I am not sure whether my parents would totally agree with the point of view that I now hold but my point of view has been a process of living my life. Looking back there is nothing I would have changed.

I am sure that you feel the same way.[/quote][/quote]

Okay, I will make a concession here, they can try to claim my child…..IF I get to claim their children (it takes a village right?) and take them hunting, after church, and we ride in my truck or jeep, and go 4 wheeling. (good luck trying to indoctrinate my daughter, she is almost a better shot than I am). I would take that, let me at their kids for a weekend, show them what they have been missing….just saying.

vache

I’m confused.What type of communities are you talking about? Rural compounds? I appreciate the wikipedia links provided by davidd as I had no idea that homosexuals were all child molesters.
    It’s great that this forum brings people together but I just have to ask. What are you and kkkwhite taking out the kids to hunt for after church from the back of a jeep? heh..

DavidCMurray
    Participant

That’s right, vache, all homosexuals (of both sexes) are child molesters, as are all Catholic priests. In fact, all the stereotypes apply universally . . .

All southerners are racial bigots.

All California women are valley girls.

All Floridians are elderly, dotty, and drive 35mph in the leftmost lane with their blinker on.

All Christians are Islamophobes.

All Muslims are terrorists.

The poor like living that way.

And on and on . . .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.