I am Glad I live in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum I am Glad I live in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    davidd

just read thru this article and am shocked at some of the stats..

crazy times for sure but i am glad i am raising my kids here.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/americans-snapping-by-the-millions/

johnnyh

[quote=”davidd”]just read thru this article and am shocked at some of the stats..

http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/americans-snapping-by-the-millions/%5B/quot

The problem Davidd is that the United States is exporting inflation worldwide, and just about every nation is churning the printing presses. As a consequence politicians are more corrupt, and citizens in turn skirt the law to stay ahead.
    I remember inviting friends to the Arrasti theater matinee in Puerto Limon, and we could all get in at 1 or 2 Colones each, and then go to the Acon theater and watch another movie. But this was back in 1959! The exchange rate back then was 6.65 Colones per Dollar.
    If you have been following the articles by Jim Rogers, Marc Faber, The Mogambo Guru, and Gerald Celente, you can get a feel of what we are looking forward to. It just doesn’t look good regardless of what Obama and the politicians tell us.

davidd

oh no Johnny

don’t get me wrong

I agree 100%

its just here in costa rica its still always behind although that is changing and in a few years we may have to re evaluate and see which country will be the new up and coming place to be

I am in the process of diligence as I am usually 5 to 10 years ahead of things mentally

its a shame that Nicaragua could not get it’s shit together

they could really be a gold mine there… lets see how they recover from losing chavez

[quote=”johnnyh”][quote=”davidd”]just read thru this article and am shocked at some of the stats..

http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/americans-snapping-by-the-millions/%5B/quot

The problem Davidd is that the United States is exporting inflation worldwide, and just about every nation is churning the printing presses. As a consequence politicians are more corrupt, and citizens in turn skirt the law to stay ahead.
    I remember inviting friends to the Arrasti theater matinee in Puerto Limon, and we could all get in at 1 or 2 Colones each, and then go to the Acon theater and watch another movie. But this was back in 1959! The exchange rate back then was 6.65 Colones per Dollar.
    If you have been following the articles by Jim Rogers, Marc Faber, The Mogambo Guru, and Gerald Celente, you can get a feel of what we are looking forward to. It just doesn’t look good regardless of what Obama and the politicians tell us.[/quote]

waggoner41

[quote=”davidd”]just read thru this article and am shocked at some of the stats..

http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/americans-snapping-by-the-millions/%5B/quote%5D

I have to agree with davidd.

[quote=”johnnyh”]The problem Davidd is that the United States is exporting inflation worldwide, and just about every nation is churning the printing presses. As a consequence politicians are more corrupt, and citizens in turn skirt the law to stay ahead.
    If you have been following the articles by Jim Rogers, Marc Faber, The Mogambo Guru, and Gerald Celente, you can get a feel of what we are looking forward to. It just doesn’t look good regardless of what Obama and the politicians tell us.[/quote]

This isn’t just a sudden development. Psychiatric conditions have been increasing since at least the 1980’s.

It has been geting tougher and tougher to make a living. Families are increasingly living off of credit and going deeper into debt.

Up through the 1970’s I was able to keep up with inflation and set aside savings for my retirement on a single income but during the 1980’s it became increasingly necessary to have two incomes to stay ahead.

The stress of declining wages and increasing inflation stresses the entire family not just the parents. Kids are very aware of the difficulty of maintaining the family.

Ticos are more laid back and heve had lower expectations but how long before the stress of keeping up hits here as well?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Speaking with a friend who had until recently had two bar/restaurants. He gave up one in November due to the very high increase for renewed a liquor license.

Just yesterday, he said that next month he was giving up the other one, as it is located in an rented, older building but kept very clean.

The health dept now want ‘big changes’ and he cannot afford to put out these funds into property belonging to some other person, when business has already dropped due to unemployment and continually rising costs.

Another man working in the construction business was telling us how much his electricity and water bills risen this month.

Our electricity cost has also increased but there are only two of us and he is raising a family.

Glad we get unlimited free water, here in very dry Guanacaste!!!

Stress is already affecting families here.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

So where can you point to for proof that the U.S. inflation rate is so great? Not here . . .

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

davidd

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]So where can you point to for proof that the U.S. inflation rate is so great? Not here . . .

[/quote]

David

I guess it depends on where you get your numbers 🙂

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article39702.html

first being that any of these numbers can be manipulated.. especially from G.O.V. LOL

look at the way unemployment numbers are calculated..

numbers from different sources can be a very general guide

but according to the chart you presented.. things are looking up for the good ole us..:oops::oops::oops:

davidd

545 vs. 300,000,000 People by Charlie Reese

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?

Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don’t propose a federal budget. The President does.

You and I don’t have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

You and I don’t write the tax code, Congress does.

You and I don’t set fiscal policy, Congress does.

You and I don’t control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one President, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a President to do one cotton-picking thing. I don’t care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator’s responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits. Only the President can propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House? John Boehner. He is the leader of the majority party. He and fellow House members, not the President, can approve any budget they want. If the President vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted — by present facts — of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can’t think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the
    plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it’s because they want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it’s because they want it in the red.

If the Army & Marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan it’s because they want them in Iraq and Afghanistan …

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it’s because they want it that way.

There are no insoluble government problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let
    them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like “the economy,” “inflation,” or “politics” that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible.

They, and they alone, have the power.

They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses.

Provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees…

We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!

Charlie Reese is a former columnist of the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper.

What you do with this article now that you have read it… is up to you. This might be funny if it weren’t so true. Be sure to read all the way to the end:

Tax his land,
    Tax his bed,
    Tax the table,
    At which he’s fed.

Tax his tractor,
    Tax his mule,
    Teach him taxes
    Are the rule.

Tax his work,
    Tax his pay,
    He works for
    peanuts anyway!

Tax his cow,
    Tax his goat,
    Tax his pants,
    Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
    Tax his shirt,
    Tax his work,
    Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
    Tax his drink,
    Tax him if he
    Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
    Tax his beers,
    If he cries
    Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
    Tax his gas,
    Find other ways
    To tax his ass.

Tax all he has
    Then let him know
    That you won’t be done
    Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;
    Then tax him some more,
    Tax him till
    He’s good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
    Tax his grave,
    Tax the sod in
    Which he’s laid…

Put these words
    Upon his tomb,
    ‘Taxes drove me
    to my doom…’

When he’s gone,
    Do not relax,
    Its time to apply
    The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
    Building Permit Tax
    CDL license Tax
    Cigarette Tax
    Corporate Income Tax
    Dog License Tax
    Excise Taxes
    Federal Income Tax
    Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
    Fishing License Tax
    Food License Tax
    Fuel Permit Tax
    Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
    Gross Receipts Tax
    Hunting License Tax
    Inheritance Tax
    Inventory Tax
    IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
    Liquor Tax
    Luxury Taxes
    Marriage License Tax
    Medicare Tax
    Personal Property Tax
    Property Tax
    Real Estate Tax
    Service Charge Tax
    Social Security Tax
    Road Usage Tax
    Recreational Vehicle Tax
    Sales Tax
    School Tax
    State Income Tax
    State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
    Telephone Federal Excise Tax
    Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
    Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
    Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
    Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax
    Telephone State and Local Tax
    Telephone Usage Charge Tax
    Utility Taxes
    Vehicle License Registration Tax
    Vehicle Sales Tax
    Watercraft Registration Tax
    Well Permit Tax
    Workers Compensation Tax

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, & our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What in the heck happened? Can you spell ‘politicians?’

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]So where can you point to for proof that the U.S. inflation rate is so great? Not here . . .

[/quote]

It would seem that Costa Rica’s official inflation rate is much higher than those in the US if you buy into the numbers you’ve pointed to. So as a retiree on a fixed income wouldn’t you be better off moving back to the US to preserve your buying power and lifestyle in retirement longer David? If you do moved back to the US don’t mind all those unemployed people that don’t “officially” exist according to the “official” numbers Uncle Sam puts out…. they’re just an illusion too!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The exchange rate between the U.S. dollar and the Costa Rican colon (the “buy” rate) has hovered right around $1.00US = c495 for around two and a half or three years. The currency value of my dollars has varied almost not at all. That is not to suggest that some prices (energy, in particular) have not gone up here, but that’s true everywhere. Can you point to reliable numbers (actual data, not just assertions) that the inflation rate in Costa Rica is so dramatically higher than the inflation rate in the U.S?

And, I elect to live in Costa Rica for the experience of daily living here. My decision had nothing to do with the cost of living here. In my estimation, looking for someplace cheap to live is probably the worst reason to move here.

(BTW, I have never suggested that there are not far, far too many unemployed people in the U.S. nor that far, far too many of them cannot earn a living wage. I don’t know where you dredged that up. Please don’t impute to me things I have never said.(Goes for others, too.))

Kwhite1

Accounts Receivable Tax
    Building Permit Tax
    CDL license Tax
    Cigarette Tax
    Corporate Income Tax
    Dog License Tax
    Excise Taxes
    Federal Income Tax
    Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
    Fishing License Tax
    Food License Tax
    Fuel Permit Tax
    Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
    Gross Receipts Tax
    Hunting License Tax
    Inheritance Tax
    Inventory Tax
    IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
    Liquor Tax
    Luxury Taxes
    Marriage License Tax
    Medicare Tax
    Personal Property Tax
    Property Tax
    Real Estate Tax
    Service Charge Tax
    Social Security Tax
    Road Usage Tax
    Recreational Vehicle Tax
    Sales Tax
    School Tax
    State Income Tax
    State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
    Telephone Federal Excise Tax
    Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
    Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
    Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
    Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax
    Telephone State and Local Tax
    Telephone Usage Charge Tax
    Utility Taxes
    Vehicle License Registration Tax
    Vehicle Sales Tax
    Watercraft Registration Tax
    Well Permit Tax
    Workers Compensation Tax

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, & our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What in the heck happened? Can you spell ‘politicians?'[/quote]

Wow Davidd, that was true poetry, It brought a tear to my eye. Now excuse me while I go throw up because all these taxes make me sick to my stomach.

Newflash…..you can add one more to the list….INTERNET TAX!!!!!

Andrew
    Keymaster

I wholeheartedly agree with statistician John Williams (shadowstats.com) who calls the government’s latest jobs and unemployment reports “nonsense numbers.” ….

[url=http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2012/12/08/more-phony-employment-numbers/]”A government that wants to cut the social safety net[/url] doesn’t want you to know that the unemployment rate is 22.9%.”

Written by Dr. Paul Craig Roberts who was Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Economic Policy and associate editor of the Wall Street Journal.

critterhill

kwhite, unless I overlooked it, you failed to mention:

estate tax
    hospital district tax
    3.8% tax on home sales

I’m sure there are more taxes to add the list that we just can’t think of right now.

johnnyh

[quote=”critterhill”]kwhite, unless I overlooked it, you failed to mention:

estate tax
    hospital district tax
    3.8% tax on home sales

I’m sure there are more taxes to add the list that we just can’t think of right now.
    [/quote

Yeah, leave it to each individual state to come out with a breathing tax, a pharting tax, in the name of protecting the environment, a walking tax for sidewalk repair, and a further talking tax for the additional oxygen depletion of the planet.

Kwhite1

[quote=”johnnyh”][quote=”critterhill”]kwhite, unless I overlooked it, you failed to mention:

estate tax
    hospital district tax
    3.8% tax on home sales

[/quote

Yeah, leave it to each individual state to come out with a breathing tax, a pharting tax, in the name of protecting the environment, a walking tax for sidewalk repair, and a further talking tax for the additional oxygen depletion of the planet.[/quote]

I just heard of another new one today….”rain tax”, let that one steep for a minute. They are going to charge you a tax per sq foot of land that does not absorb rainwater, i.e. your house, driveway, parking lot, ect. Nice huh?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.