How many expats make it longer than 2-3 years?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum How many expats make it longer than 2-3 years?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    celaje

Interesting thread.

I have worked with expats in the expatriate industry for the last 7 years. We deal with expats in Central America, South America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.

Our advice is always the same, go live there for 1 year and see what you think. We even require our expats to experience localization classes so thier kids can get acclimated to the schools, customs, etc.).

A large portion of expats do not make it in any country, not just Costa Rica. The differences are usually more that the average person is used to and can wear on your marriage, etc.

We see this even when a westerner goes to another western-type country (i.e UK, Australia, etc.).

Nothing to be ashamed of if you can’t integrate into the new country, it is very common. Immerse yourself for 1 year and then make a decision.

maravilla

it certainly is true that some people will never adjust to the differences in culture in a latin country if they have only ever lived in the united states. but it’s not just latin countries that are hard to live in — anywhere that has a different language will be a real test of one’s mettle. i lived in paris and i met plenty of people who fled there too and went home to the comfort zone of the familiar. and andrew is right, there is nothing to be ashamed of if you can’t cut it in a foreign country, but i will admit that there are a lot of happy people when they go home, mainly because up until that point they were often downright miserable living here, and those of us who have made it grew tired of listening to the litany of complaints.

Andrew@CR

Amen Maravilla!

[quote=”maravilla”] there is nothing to be ashamed of if you can’t cut it in a foreign country, but i will admit that there are a lot of happy people when they go home, mainly because up until that point they were often downright miserable living here, and those of us who have made it grew tired of listening to the litany of complaints.[/quote]

sstarkey

[quote=”maravilla”]it certainly is true that some people will never adjust to the differences in culture in a latin country if they have only ever lived in the united states. but it’s not just latin countries that are hard to live in — anywhere that has a different language will be a real test of one’s mettle. i lived in paris and i met plenty of people who fled there too and went home to the comfort zone of the familiar. [/quote]

Agree completely.

Costa Rica will be my 6th country, (when I get settled). I feel up to the challenge, am excited about it and hope I’m not being too optimistic.

In my view, a key success factor is to NOT go to a new country to ‘escape’ problems (real, or imagined) one has at home.

Bad marriages WILL get worse under the stress of living in a foreign country. Social misfits will find it difficult to fit in anywhere they go and are easy marks to get into trouble by looking to solve their relationship problems by ‘adopting’ a new culture. People who can’t manage money at home won’t suddenly become solvent in Costa Rica. Militant government-haters will find something new to hate in their new surroundings and will likely poison their new relationships with their negativity.

While moving to a new country is a great chance to re-invent oneself, one’s core strengths and weaknesses may likely be magnified in the new environment, sometimes with unexpectedly disappointing results.

PuraVidas

[quote=”sstarkey”][quote=”maravilla”]it certainly is true that some people will never adjust to the differences in culture in a latin country if they have only ever lived in the united states. but it’s not just latin countries that are hard to live in — anywhere that has a different language will be a real test of one’s mettle. i lived in paris and i met plenty of people who fled there too and went home to the comfort zone of the familiar. [/quote]

Agree completely.

Costa Rica will be my 6th country, (when I get settled). I feel up to the challenge, am excited about it and hope I’m not being too optimistic.

In my view, a key success factor is to NOT go to a new country to ‘escape’ problems (real, or imagined) one has at home.

Bad marriages WILL get worse under the stress of living in a foreign country. Social misfits will find it difficult to fit in anywhere they go and are easy marks to get into trouble by looking to solve their relationship problems by ‘adopting’ a new culture. People who can’t manage money at home won’t suddenly become solvent in Costa Rica. Militant government-haters will find something new to hate in their new surroundings and will likely poison their new relationships with their negativity.

While moving to a new country is a great chance to re-invent oneself, one’s core strengths and weaknesses may likely be magnified in the new environment, sometimes with unexpectedly disappointing results.[/quote]

Shit. What happened to just going with the flow?

simondg

[quote=”ymontagne”]My husband and I have been seriously considering moving to either Costa Rica or Panama and have visited at least twice a year for the last 8 years.

During all of our visits we try to talk to as many expats as possible. Last time, while visiting Dominical/Uvita, we really noticed that it didn’t appear that many people who move to the area last more than 2 or 3 years. Wrong impression?

Would love to hear some thoughts around how many individuals actually make it beyond a couple of years.[/quote]

When your bank costs you $150,000 due to their own incompetence and then coludes agaisnt you and your lawyer tells you that although you have a good case (that could be won in most countries) it isn’t worth pursuing in this country because the regulatory authority will not award you anything, then you start to understand. In effect he was saying that Sugef will not do anything to hurt their friends -great system!

On the other hand I never met a cop I couldnt bribe to get out of speeding ticket (until the other day – I think he thought I was setting him up). This part of the corruption works perfectly since the cops are highly motivated to do their job and they get to make sorely needed income that would otherwise be wasted by some buaurcrat.

sstarkey

[quote=”PuraVidas”]
    Shit. What happened to just going with the flow?[/quote]

A lot of people just aren’t wired that way, I think!

gzeniou

If you just forget about CR for a moment. What is the return rate of those that move to another state in the USA?

In the US, there are many folks that move from all over to Florida but yet in the last couple of years stats have shown in cities like Cape Coral that more people are returning home to where they started from then are moving in, meaning the population growth in these areas are negative and the return rate is very high.

What am getting at is there is always a certain % that will return where they came from for many reasons, with a different language and culture, you would expect the natural return rate to be higher from non English speaking countries. So perhaps the question shouldn’t be what is the raw return rate but what is the return rate of folks that return from Costa Rica compared to other Latin American countries or for that matter other foreign countries. Perhaps a 40% rate as mentioned earlier is really low compared to other countries.

Phil13

[quote=”celaje”]Interesting thread.

I have worked with expats in the expatriate industry for the last 7 years. We deal with expats in Central America, South America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.

Our advice is always the same, go live there for 1 year and see what you think. We even require our expats to experience localization classes so thier kids can get acclimated to the schools, customs, etc.).

A large portion of expats do not make it in any country, not just Costa Rica. The differences are usually more that the average person is used to and can wear on your marriage, etc.

We see this even when a westerner goes to another western-type country (i.e UK, Australia, etc.).

Nothing to be ashamed of if you can’t integrate into the new country, it is very common. Immerse yourself for 1 year and then make a decision.[/quote]

Yeah,in my opinion the first year is the magic number. I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Venezuela. Most quit and returned within the first year if they quit at all. I almost quit just before completing a year. Stayed for two was happen to come home, but missed the Latin culture too.
    The novelty wears off after the first year. You will with effort know some Spanish and some of the culture. Maybe take a short trip after a year back to your origin. See if the level of bs there is greater than the level of bs in CR and which one you prefer. Then try to be happy inspite of it all wherever you decide to stay.

moonbanks

[quote=”costaricafinca”][b]soldier[/b], thanks for your reply. Again, it is good to hear that you did take the time to check things out, and hopefully you have found your [i]’paradise’.[/i][/quote]

I visited costarica for 5-6 years trying to get a feel for the country..explored the whole pacific coast north to south..way to hot for me even though I love the beach..not the utility bill..Have lived in Atenas full time for the past year.I started in a gated community and really did not like it at all..Moved to a tico neighborhood and have met many people who are great and have had no problems what so ever..I hope it continues. My wife is very active in the community and we have adjusted nicely..
    I like being close to the city if I need a change of scenery,food,amenities, etc. I also love living in the country away from traffic,less crime, easy living..
    realistic budget of 3500.00$ a month that covers everything..rent,food,utilitys,trips,entertainment,car,caja,medical,etc…its not cheap to live here..
    we dont plan on moving back to the states but never say never….tks

PuraVidas

[quote=”moonbanks”][quote=”costaricafinca”][b]soldier[/b], thanks for your reply. Again, it is good to hear that you did take the time to check things out, and hopefully you have found your [i]’paradise’.[/i][/quote]

I visited costarica for 5-6 years trying to get a feel for the country..explored the whole pacific coast north to south..way to hot for me even though I love the beach..not the utility bill..Have lived in Atenas full time for the past year.I started in a gated community and really did not like it at all..Moved to a tico neighborhood and have met many people who are great and have had no problems what so ever..I hope it continues. My wife is very active in the community and we have adjusted nicely..
    I like being close to the city if I need a change of scenery,food,amenities, etc. I also love living in the country away from traffic,less crime, easy living..
    realistic budget of 3500.00$ a month that covers everything..rent,food,utilitys,trips,entertainment,car,caja,medical,etc…its not cheap to live here..
    we dont plan on moving back to the states but never say never….tks[/quote]

Wow, I could live like a true king on $3,500 per month. My wife and I survive on $600 per month living in the country and $1,000 per mo. when staying in San Jose. That includes everything… rent, food, utility, trips, entertainment, motorcycle, caja, medical, etc. Heck our rent is only 75,000 colones per month in a house with a cold water shower and our idea of entertainment is sitting on the beach with a six pack of cold Imperial and a surfboard. I guess it just depends on what “standard of living” you find acceptable.

moonbanks

[quote=”PuraVidas”][quote=”moonbanks”][quote=”costaricafinca”][b]soldier[/b], thanks for your reply. Again, it is good to hear that you did take the time to check things out, and hopefully you have found your [i]’paradise’.[/i][/quote]

we dont plan on moving back to the states but never say never….tks[/quote]

Wow, I could live like a true king on $3,500 per month. My wife and I survive on $600 per month living in the country and $1,000 per mo. when staying in San Jose. That includes everything… rent, food, utility, trips, entertainment, motorcycle, caja, medical, etc. Heck our rent is only 75,000 colones per month in a house with a cold water shower and our idea of entertainment is sitting on the beach with a six pack of cold Imperial and a surfboard. I guess it just depends on what “standard of living” you find acceptable.[/quote]

my question to you is simple…How old are you??how many kids do you have back in the states..what is your medical condition…I live in a tico house,drive a tico car,…I did the surf thing with the beer and no money 40 years ago..work my ass off had 3 heart attacks and got out of the rat race..believe me my budget is yes bigger than yours but I have a lot more expenses than you..I wish I could live on $1000.00 a month..Its not possible..but who cares…puravida my friend live the good life…..

petharg

Just joined today & finished reading the 116 posts. So, to add to the pot, here are my 2 colones (0.38 cents) worth of comments.
    -I first visited C.R. in 1979, and have been back about 8 times since, most recently last month. I lived in the slummy Cinco Esquinas de Tibas, above a zapateria full of illegal Nicos. Things have changed soooooo much, and not always for the better, as far as making C.R. gringo- [pensionado/rentista]-friendly. From afar, it looks to me that there is a gradual push by the government to reap a little more cash from norteamericanos [import duties,costs of gaining ‘status’, etc.]. If I had not had prior pleasant experiences, the chances of considering C.R. for pensionado status would be diminished.
    -Several people have mentioned George Lundquist, and his 4-day tour. I did his tour. It was a huge body of information in an unfortunately short time. Well worth the money, I recommend it for anyone with no or some C.R. experience. BUT two caveats: first, George is biased toward some geographic areas, and against others, quite loudly, and what you want/need doesn’t necessarily coincide with his biases. Second, the expats you meet are unfailingly friendly and informative, but some of them have something to sell you. Sometimes the hard sell is off-putting, and sometimes it’s a soft sell and very easy to digest and welcome [for example, Arden, who contributes here occasionally, and the Tico lawyer, whose name I don’t recall]. George has a 1-hour video on the web summarizing his tour. It’s useful.
    -Living on $3500 a month is much more feasible than on social security alone, or $1000, unless you’re young or indigent or both. There are some comforts one will not forego.
    -I have never had a crime problem, petty or otherwise, in the 8+ times I have been in C.R., unless you count the CD I bought in 1979 [with dollars, but payable in colones] when the exchange rate was 8.5 to the dollar. Despite a handsome interest rate it has now lost 95% of it original dollar value.
    -If you’re 1/2 of a pair, the importance of agreement in the move can’t be overestimated. I’m still working on convincing a skeptical spouse. Maybe I’m gaining groundjavascript:addSmiley(‘:roll:’);I’m guessing a big fraction of ‘returnees’ have this problem.

maravilla

there are several people with whom i am acquainted who barely made the $600 a month requirement for pensionado status, and clearly that, or even $700, which is what they had coming in, is NOT enough to live if you have to pay rent, or a mortgage. so it’s a good thing they raised the bar; it will prevent poor gringos from coming here. but i haven’t even a clue what i would blow $3500 on because i spend as much as i need every month and it’s never over $800. of course, my house is paid for, and i don’t eat out, but i do everything else i want to do on that amount of money. what comforts do you feel you would have to go without if you had only $1000 a month to live on?

petharg

[quote=”maravilla”]there are several people with whom i am acquainted who barely made the $600 a month requirement for pensionado status, and clearly that, or even $700, which is what they had coming in, is NOT enough to live if you have to pay rent, or a mortgage. so it’s a good thing they raised the bar; it will prevent poor gringos from coming here. but i haven’t even a clue what i would blow $3500 on because i spend as much as i need every month and it’s never over $800. of course, my house is paid for, and i don’t eat out, but i do everything else i want to do on that amount of money. what comforts do you feel you would have to go without if you had only $1000 a month to live on?[/quote]

Not hard to come up with a list of possibilities;
    as COMFORTS [admittedly, not NECESSITIES]:
    -a mortgage [possibly preferable to renting, long-term]
    -a nice place to live [but NOT Escazu]
    -occasional car rental [independent exploration of the country]
    -occasional boat rental [would like to catch a marlin at least once]
    -high speed internet & cable TV [computer & History Channel addict]; also for improving Spanish ability
    -eating out couple of times a week
    -visit the grandkids couple of times a year

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.